Apple to fire up Penryn-based Mac Pros

Comments

• Reply 361 of 398
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

This is why AMD can't die out. If they do, Intel have no reason to make an effort. They only need to be better than their competition to make the sale.

Now that's an economically intelligent post!
  • Reply 362 of 398
    If true, I don't think AMD has anything to do with it. There has been a report out for a week or two about Intel having their own errata issue (like AMD). I'm kind of surprised it didn't get more attention.
  • Reply 363 of 398
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjteix View Post

Those quads delayed are not Xeons, they are desktop quads...

I hope you are right.

Quote:

This is why AMD can't die out. If they do, Intel have no reason to make an effort. They only need to be better than their competition to make the sale.

If AMD dies out we are all in real trouble. Unless IBM can step up....
  • Reply 364 of 398
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

I think competition is good, but I don't think a lack of competition would necessarily mean no progress. There has to be some improvement over time. Intel's gotten used to computers getting replaced every few years. If there's not much of an improvement, there's less reason to buy a new computer.
  • Reply 365 of 398
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Exactly JeffDM... everyone predicting the sky falling because amd dies off... It's funny that people forget who made AMD in the first place... Yep... that's right... INTEL.
  • Reply 366 of 398
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I think competition is good, but I don't think a lack of competition would necessarily mean no progress. There has to be some improvement over time. Intel's gotten used to computers getting replaced every few years. If there's not much of an improvement, there's less reason to buy a new computer.

Just think; if we really had no real competition in the computer operating system market, and one company controlled over 90 percent of the market, we would really be in trouble. But that will never happen as we look over the vista of the computer system market.
  • Reply 367 of 398
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Royboy View Post

Just think; if we really had no real competition in the computer operating system market, and one company controlled over 90 percent of the market, we would really be in trouble. But that will never happen as we look over the vista of the computer system market.

I think MS was able to ride on Intel's coat tails with that though. If it weren't for faster computers, not nearly as many people would bother to get a new computer.
  • Reply 368 of 398
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

I would have thought with programmers working on the multi-chip 360 and the PS3 consoles that design of the chips/architecture would create a mainstream environment for threading to go mainstream...especially as they move to squeeze every drop of performance out of them. I would have thought that will help or contribute to the threading gene pool in the next 3 years as these beasts hit critical mass in their millions upon millions. The incentive to multi-thread, financially will be there? And these developers can feed the techniques back into the land of computers?

Yes, but its a very slow process. Consumers are used to things moving at a lightening pace, but reality is slower than that.
  • Reply 369 of 398
    Well we're approaching the two week mark to announcement. Anyone here think Apple has gone so consumer base that Steve won't mention the Mac Pro January 15th? I think that's absurd.
  • Reply 370 of 398
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Multimedia View Post

Well we're approaching the two week mark to announcement. Anyone here think Apple has gone so consumer base that Steve won't mention the Mac Pro January 15th? I think that's absurd.

There better be an announcement on or before that day. I'm starting to think before now. If you order a custom MacPro now, it says 4-6 days now and not 2-4... Could the MacPro kick off the year this Tuesday? 1/1/08? So that MacWorld can be for consumers? Either way, I'm still going with MacWorld. But before it would be nice.
  • Reply 371 of 398
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by darthraige View Post

There better be an announcement on or before that day. I'm starting to think before now. If you order a custom MacPro now, it says 4-6 days now and not 2-4... Could the MacPro kick off the year this Tuesday? 1/1/08? So that MacWorld can be for consumers? Either way, I'm still going with MacWorld. But before it would be nice.

Or it could be high demand for the Mac Pro which is causing the delay in shipping. High demand for a product usually means the manufacturer does not change or update the product.

New Mac Pros Summer/Fall of 2008?
  • Reply 372 of 398
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Royboy View Post

Or it could be high demand for the Mac Pro which is causing the delay in shipping. High demand for a product usually means the manufacturer does not change or update the product.

New Mac Pros Summer/Fall of 2008?

Hahahaha, Summer/Fall 2008? Yea right. Won't happen.
  • Reply 373 of 398
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    To manage news coverage, MacWorld is generally about one major hardware product and a 'One More Thing'.

The major hardware announcement will be the new Mac Pros, and the One More Thing may be either be the video rentals and a new AppleTV or it may be the rumoured sub-notebook.

The harder thing to guess is whether we'll see any software upgrades at the same time.

iWork and iLife are already '08 editions.
  • Reply 374 of 398
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

To manage news coverage, MacWorld is generally about one major hardware product and a 'One More Thing'.

The major hardware announcement will be the new Mac Pros, and the One More Thing may be either be the video rentals and a new AppleTV or it may be the rumoured sub-notebook.

The harder thing to guess is whether we'll see any software upgrades at the same time.

iWork and iLife are already '08 editions.

There are many ways to slice this. I'd say the major announcement is a new AppleTV and then the video rentals, or the other way around. This two items kind of go together. The one more thing will be the Mac sub-notebook.

This leave the Mac Pro, a professional product, to be announced before the consumer oriented Macworld.

• Reply 375 of 398
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by snoopy View Post

There are many ways to slice this. I'd say the major announcement is a new AppleTV and then the video rentals, or the other way around. This two items kind of go together. The one more thing will be the Mac sub-notebook.

This leave the Mac Pro, a professional product, to be announced before the consumer oriented Macworld.

I keep seeing this bandied about but is it really a possibility? It seems unlikely to me. Why forsake the chance to introduce a product while everyone's watching, instead introducing it when no one is paying attention?

Has Apple ever done anything like this before?

• Reply 376 of 398
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donebylee View Post

I keep seeing this bandied about but is it really a possibility? It seems unlikely to me. Why forsake the chance to introduce a product while everyone's watching, instead introducing it when no one is paying attention?

Has Apple ever done anything like this before?

Apple doesn't need the MacWorld keynote in order to have everyone paying attention. They schedule a media event and they show up in droves, and the reading public anxiously awaits whatever they have to announce. In fact, one school of thought is that Apple should try to get into the public eye as often as possible so having a separate event is better than taking advantage of the keynote at MacWorld. On the other hand, the MacWorld keynote is something of a tradition (especially since Jobs' return to the helm) and if they stopped announcing worthwhile things people who stop paying attention to them.

In the past its been done both ways -- intro the pro-level product at the MacWorld keynote, or intro it at a separate event weeks or months later. Which they choose will most likely depend on whether they are actually ready to go out the door right away, and what else they have waiting to introduce. They've been pretty good in the past few years about ensuring shipping quantity on the day of introduction, especially considering how badly they got slagged for that back in the 90s.
  • Reply 377 of 398
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I think it works how ever Apple decides to do it. Although, I've never seen a Mac Pro at an invitation style press event, and I'm not sure how well that would work. I think the Press events are best suited for brand new products, or consumer ones because press fall into the consumer category, and they get all riled up and excited about a product, and they cause an industry rattling all their own. I'm not sure if the press could get excited about a Mac Pro like they did the iPhone, or whatever this rumored laptop is going to be. Either way. I think MacWorld works just as good to unveil products as anything. Watching SJ get all worked up over a PowerMac/ Mac Pro, or any products is exciting, and it causes a stir.
  • Reply 378 of 398
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

...I've never seen a Mac Pro at an invitation style press event...

You've been around a while, onlooker, so perhaps its just a memory fault? I'm pretty sure it has happened a few times.
  • Reply 379 of 398
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Programmer View Post

You've been around a while, onlooker, so perhaps its just a memory fault? I'm pretty sure it has happened a few times.

But I don't remember one. I've only been watching since the first G5, which is a bit over four years ago. Almost all of them are at or near one of four types of events: WWDC, NAB, some photo event and I think a couple updates were bylines at a MacWorld Expo. If it's not at/during an event, it's close, and with a fairly unceremonious update to the web site and a press release.
  • Reply 380 of 398
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

But I don't remember one. I've only been watching since the first G5, which is a bit over four years ago. Almost all of them are at or near one of four types of events: WWDC, NAB, some photo event and I think a couple updates were bylines at a MacWorld Expo. If it's not at/during an event, it's close, and with a fairly unceremonious update to the web site and a press release.

I guess my age is showing. I distinctly remember a couple of them (not always in January)... but perhaps they were all from the G3/G4 era?