An Introductory Mac OS X Leopard Review: Meet Your New Desktop

Comments

• Reply 41 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Where did you hear that Leopard won't come pre-installed until mid-November?

All Macs are now sold with Leopard installed.

I called 1-800-MY-APPLE as well as spoke to someone via the store's online chat system. The online chat person said that they didn't know if Leopard would come installed but that worst case the disk would be included with the machine. The phone person said that I would NOT get one with Leopard preinstalled but that they could make sure the disk comes included. I asked him when would they be shipping systems with Leopard installed and he said as soon as current supplies of systems with Tiger were sold out and his guess was for around mid-November.

If you go online and look at the MacBook Pro's page you'll see it says that the included software is Tiger. I'm a windows user granted but I'd find it odd if it says that but they'd ship it with Leopard, I'm sure there are people who would still want Tiger and not care for the "upgrade". So I don't know what the official story is. Either way I'm on the verge of buying mine, I've talked myself into it since Tiger comes with iLife and Leopard doesn't so this way I can get both. If you have any information to the contrary would you mind sharing it?

- rude
  • Reply 42 of 73
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rudebwoy View Post

, I've talked myself into it since Tiger comes with iLife and Leopard doesn't so this way I can get both. If you have any information to the contrary would you mind sharing it?

- rude

Tiger itself does not come with iLife. iLife comes preinstalled on all new Macs. So if you can find a Mac with Leopard installed, it will have the latest version of iLife.

Very surprised that Macs don't come preinstalled with Leopard. On the bright side, most posters are reporting a pretty painless experience in upgrading to Leopard from Tiger.
  • Reply 43 of 73
    Well they've changed the graphics on the apple store to now show Leopard on the MacBook Pros. However it still says Tiger is the OS under the Included Software - Operating System tab.

- rude
  • Reply 44 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techno View Post

You probably already know, but you can right click the stack and get many options, including choosing between fan and grid.

Yes, fan or grid. Neither of which provide the everything right/control click list of previous OSX's. As I said this is a problem for large folders, such as Application/Document folders with lots of sub folders and hundreds of items...

All I'm saying is there should be a third option, list view, or a right/control click override of the pretty stacks action.
  • Reply 45 of 73
    Ok, ordering online right now and spoke to representative via their chat system and her exact words were:

"If you are purchasing a new Mac it will be preinstalled, if this is a refurbished, you will be sent the DVD."

also, thanks for letting me know that all new macs come with iLife08. I appreciate it.

- rude
  • Reply 46 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TednDi View Post

Any issues yet with the install?

Nope. Got home 3 hours ago to leopard, installed it in about 1:15 (about 30 of that was 'checking the install dvd for consistency) and have been checking things out since. Almost no learning curve so far for me. 1st post from leopard. I love it.
  • Reply 47 of 73
    Did anyone get a free t-shirt from the launch? What do they look like?
  • Reply 48 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by whenders0n View Post

This article was really poorly written. While I understand Appleinsider's wish to get it out the door fast, the article ended up being a lot of unnecessary fluff and opionated soap-boxing, with very little valuable judgement or even new information. It was further marred by the poor style with which it was actually written. I advise the author to focus more on style and less on opinions.

I completely disagree. I thought this article was EXCELLENTLY written, and focused on things that I have not yet seen in other reviews. It provided very useful information that I wanted to know. Thanks to the author for the great & informative & very well-written article!
  • Reply 49 of 73
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post

Did anyone get a free t-shirt from the launch? What do they look like?

Black short sleeve XL T-shirt with purple space background and black X. Same artwork as the package and about the same size as the DVD box. Small white apple logo on the back. Also small white and gray lettering on back. "Add a new Mac to Your Mac" Introducing Mac OS X Leopard"
  • Reply 50 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lfmorrison View Post

Mac OS X does a stellar job of hiding its illegal-copy-detection scheme from the end-user. So for legitimate users, it's just as good as though it really were DRM-free.

However, Apple is no fool. I'm certain they will continue to find some means of securely determining whether an Intel PC really is Apple-manufactured, or if its some generic beige-box machine. And, unless you hack it, the installer ought to refuse to proceed on the beige-box machine.

That fits my definition of DRM. It doesn't necessarily have to be construed as a bad thing.

Apple has done this since the first Macintosh, at that time the "DRM', as you're calling it, being the copyrighted Macintosh ROM. We may argue technicalities and semantics, but this is a far cry from product activation. It is not an invasive technology.

Mac OS X doesn't need to send nor receive a signal back to the mothership to work. It simply refuses to install onto non-Macs. Certainly, there are issues there, too. Ultimately, I believe users should be able to use software that was legitimately obtained however they wish.

However, Mac OS X does not take the computer hostage and force the user to allow the software to "phone home" to gain access, nor will it become suspicious of the user upon a hardware upgrade and ask for proof or else. No this is not the "DRM" that truly threatens users' rights. Though were it not present, it could severely threaten Apple's and possibly lead to invasive DRM measures, at which time I would jump ship to the less aesthetically appealing, but very capable Linux boat.

So, I'm glad Leopard continues the tradition of not included nasty product activation along with it.
  • Reply 51 of 73
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post

For anyone who doesn't like the 3D dock, here's your free solution:

http://www.eternalstorms.at/utilitie...t2d/index.html

I wonder why the border around the 2D dock is so prominent

I am starting to appreciate the 3D dock. I do like the idea of looking upon your goodies , this might explain the funny angle as it is supposed to be for your eyes only.

GR,

mr O is going smart with his mailboxes but finds himself hooked to Gmail.
  • Reply 52 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I just want to say my family pack got installed on several types of Macs from recent models to older ones including what I am using now an ancient iBook G4 and it is running as fast if not faster than Tiger ... I am amazed!

It does seem a bit snappier. My first impressions are favorable, although the stacks thing is a little odd. The icon assumes the appearance of the first file in the folder, which I don't particularly like since in my case it was a worthless movie clip. There is not a lot of control over the behavior.

Another thing that I could live without is the semi-transparent menu bar. In the case of the default background, the menu looks kind of pink, although I do like the background image itself.

Just discovered that Photoshop 7/Imageready no longer work. Front row stops the Internet radio from playing.

Neooffice needs to be patched to 2.2.2 to run
  • Reply 53 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Wow, MSFT trolls seem to be out in force today! (#3, #9, #10, #16 are all, coincidentally, on their first or second posts ever on AI)!

Blah blah blah.
  • Reply 54 of 73
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,821member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techno View Post

You probably already know, but you can right click the stack and get many options, including choosing between fan and grid.

Has anyone found a way to spring load a folder in the fan yet? I love everything so far in Leo but miss being able to hold the mouse over a folder in the dock and get a nested hierarch and the ability to drill down through multiple folders right down to a file or application I want and then they sprung closed. So far I can see how to open the folder to one level down from a fan and that's it. Even then the folder thus opened has to be manually closed. I may be missing something here ...
  • Reply 55 of 73
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,821member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Black short sleeve XL T-shirt with purple space background and black X. Same artwork as the package and about the same size as the DVD box. Small white apple logo on the back. Also small white and gray lettering on back. "Add a new Mac to Your Mac" Introducing Mac OS X Leopard"

We got a free, fluffy, made in China, Leopard about 9" long.
  • Reply 56 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

But are there any beach balls? I have the fastest Mac Pro with the max ram and yet I routinely get spinning beach balls. (yes I am aware of the cache forms data issues in Safari) but I get them even when Safari isn't running. I hate the stupid beach balls.

Do you defrag your hard drives regularly?
  • Reply 57 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdanaher17 View Post

Do you defrag your hard drives regularly?

I leave the computer on 24x7 so /etc/daily type maintenance is done automatically. If you are suggesting that a 3rd party disk maintenance utility is necessary, then I think that might be an oversight by the Apple engineers because nothing to that effect is mentioned any where in the documentation, at least not to my knowledge.

m
  • Reply 58 of 73
    What's up with these fugly blue file folders. At don't tell me a solution for it. It shouldt have looked wow from the install but instead looks very XP-yech. First Apple designs Windowesque Dell iMacs and now a new Windowsy OS? Apple is so obviously trying to get more windows jerks to switch and not for the core people who have been there pre-OSX. And the space theme (Leopards in space?) is so 2001. On the plus side- Safari finally works like a real browser. Snaps just like Internet Explorer has for years- haha! I am not a windows troll but an apple adonis- thank you very much!
  • Reply 59 of 73
    Ok... Im trying to remember, does the archive and install option just archive your user 'home" folder and nothing else? The new OS installs over the previous system and around preinstalled apps, correct?
  • Reply 60 of 73
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hypoluxa View Post

Ok... Im trying to remember, does the archive and install option just archive your user 'home" folder and nothing else? The new OS installs over the previous system and around preinstalled apps, correct?

I didn't even see the archive and install option. I ran the installer and right after, I realized I didn't see it (I was expecting to see it come up after I hit the continue button). I thought I had lost all of my files and data but they are there. I don't know what kind of install I did...