An Introductory Mac OS X Leopard Review: Meet Your New Desktop

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TECHSTUD View Post

What's up with these fugly blue file folders. At don't tell me a solution for it. It shouldt have looked wow from the install but instead looks very XP-yech. First Apple designs Windowesque Dell iMacs and now a new Windowsy OS? Apple is so obviously trying to get more windows jerks to switch and not for he core people who have been there pre-OSX. And the space theme (Leopards in space?) is so 2001. On the plus side- Safari finally works like a real browser. Snaps just like Internet Explorer has for years- haha! I am not a windows troll but an apple adonis- thank you very much!

lthere are so many flaws with those argument.
    • First off, you can change the folders icons.

• Xp has ugly tan folders, the mac folders have been blue for a while (they just redesigned them)

• XP does not own the color blue, ever looked at aqua which was demoed in 2000

• You pre osx? LOL! You sound like you are five.

• where is this magical dell imac i hear about, was it released before 2004. Did you assume this because of the Aluminum? Just because a computer uses Aluminum doesnt mean it copied dell.

• Of course apple is trying to get more people to switch over, did you think they wanted a smaller user base?

• As for the space theme, did aqua and cats make much sense either? The big cats are just used for naming purposes, the os isnt based around a cat theme. And why is space "so 2001", 2001 Space Odyssey?

• Safari really is like 3 times faster at everything and it isnt made of swiss chess like IE is.

I dearly hope that you were being sarcastic, in which case you need to be blatantly obvious or put (sarcasm) at the end of your writing.
  • Reply 62 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrpiddly View Post

lthere are so many flaws with those argument.
    • First off, you can change the folders icons.

• Xp has ugly tan folders, the mac folders have been blue for a while (they just redesigned them)

• XP does not own the color blue, ever looked at aqua which was demoed in 2000

• You pre osx? LOL! You sound like you are five.

• where is this magical dell imac i hear about, was it released before 2004. Did you assume this because of the Aluminum? Just because a computer uses Aluminum doesnt mean it copied dell.

• Of course apple is trying to get more people to switch over, did you think they wanted a smaller user base?

• As for the space theme, did aqua and cats make much sense either? The big cats are just used for naming purposes, the os isnt based around a cat theme. And why is space "so 2001", 2001 Space Odyssey?

• Safari really is like 3 times faster at everything and it isnt made of swiss chess like IE is.

I dearly hope that you were being sarcastic, in which case you need to be blatantly obvious or put (sarcasm) at the end of your writing.

You're the one who's flagrantly obvious in that you don't know what you are talking about. Answer me this: Why did Jaguar have jaguar fur wallpaper? and a Jaguar fur box? LOL- In space no one can hear a Leopard scream!

And as for the new iMac I'm sorry - glossy screen plus metallica and black plastic = DELL! Yes the iMac is aluminum but you now what-it's PCish.

Apple has long been know for design innovation for years and surely dropped that ball with this year's Dell iMac. Viva the white iMac -running Leopard now of course!
  • Reply 63 of 73
    ke^inke^in Posts: 98member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TECHSTUD View Post

You're the one who's flagrantly obvious in that you don't know what you are talking about. Answer me this: Why did Jaguar have jaguar fur wallpaper? and a Jaguar fur box? LOL- In space no one can hear a Leopard scream!

And as for the new iMac I'm sorry - glossy screen plus metallica and black plastic = DELL! Yes the iMac is aluminum but you now what-it's PCish.

Apple has long been know for design innovation for years and surely dropped that ball with this year's Dell iMac. Viva the white iMac -running Leopard now of course!

No seriously, he was right on with his points he made. You don't know what you are talking about.
  • Reply 64 of 73
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TECHSTUD

You may need to go back to design school. The new iMac design rocks, even my 7 year old niece said "Wow, is that the new one. It's so cool" when she saw it. Even a child can tell it's hot, because it looks sleek and futuristic.
  • Reply 65 of 73
    Yah, I agree... the new iMac is great looking. It really drew me in so, I ended up buying one. Love the design and color. Does not resemble a dull Dell to me at all.

Also, on Leopard, their codenames and very cool codenames for an operating system. Love the new space background makes me feel liberated.

Leopard is a great upgrade, I was very hesitant at buying it at first thinking it would be slower than Tiger or maybe not ready for prime-time, but I was totally wrong. I'm glad I jumped on the bandwagon on Friday night. The line wrapped all the way around the building but I was fortunate to be 12th in line. Got me my free T.
  • Reply 66 of 73
    Nothing original here!
  • Reply 67 of 73
    to whom it may concern

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/os/mac-os-x-10-5.ars/13

I'm only linking a part of the review, specifically the part that shows folder behavior in the dock

empty special folders

filled special folders

Filling a folder with files or other folder changes "live" it's icon with the last file or folder that's in it

Am I the only one that thinks this can be extremely confusing?

Why did they have to go threw so much trouble jut to make it show it's contents?

It's not like you can distinguish what's in the folder, besides for the first item that's in it.

Maybe it makes it more believable when springing out as a fan or grid, but otherwise I just don't understand the logic.
  • Reply 68 of 73
    ke^inke^in Posts: 98member
    Yeah I don't Like that either. They need to stick with ONE icon. Give it that spring loaded folder look
  • Reply 69 of 73
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ke^in View Post

Yeah I don't Like that either. They need to stick with ONE icon. Give it that spring loaded folder look

Annoying really. I ended up making an alias of my Applications folder and sticking it in the Applications folder so it wouldn't show Address Book icon.
  • Reply 70 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Thanks for the "kill the Dock" Terminal information. I'll be all over that once I install Leopard (in a few months time).

Does anyone know how to undo this? I did the kill the dock thing, but I want the shelf back. Any suggestions?
  • Reply 71 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CMason09 View Post

Does anyone know how to undo this? I did the kill the dock thing, but I want the shelf back. Any suggestions?

defaults write com.apple.dock no-glass -boolean NO

killall Dock
  • Reply 72 of 73
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CMason09 View Post

What he said, "NO" instead of "YES".
  • Reply 73 of 73
    I am disappointed in Leopard. The aesthetics and the clarity of the interface have taken a turn for the worse.

For example, some of the print is smaller and harder to read.

The sidebars on the mail and finder windows have lost their attractive pictures and "big button" usability. They are smaller and much less attractive.

As mentioned earlier, the basic folder icon is a big step downward from the classy folder of the old OS X.

The file menu bar is now shaded according to the desktop wallpaper and is less clear to read and not nearly as attractive as the contrast white it was before.

Cover flow, although elegant, seems to be more flashy than useful.

Spaces is hardly necessary, given the expose function to view application windows.

I have yet to find a "must have" feature. The best I can come up with is the downloads folder on the dock, which eliminates desktop clutter.