Customizing the Leopard Dock

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
OK, count me as one of those that doesn't like the gray dock. I figured out how to change its color and even its opacity. Here's what it looks like now.

I'm not going to go over basics such as hidden files, how to use sudo, etc. You will need to start with a bit of knowledge to do this. Here are the general instructions for how to do it:

1. Locate and make backup copies of these 4 files located in /System/Library/CoreServices/Dock/Contents/Resources

scurve-l.png

scurve-m.png

scurve-sm.png

scurve-xl.png

2. Modify them in your favorite photo editor. I used Photoshop and painted them black then reduced the layer opacity to around 50%. You can experiment with colors, gradients, and even add textures. I went with flat black because I felt the curve in the original made the dock appear too busy.

3. Replace the originals in Dock.app (at the path above). Restart the dock (killall Dock).

Thanks to Marvin for giving me the idea to try this. If you know of any other ways to customize the dock or any other new Leopard interfaces please share.

By request, the PNG's I used for the Dock above can be downloaded here: http://rapidshare.com/files/66838383/Black_Dock_Mod.zip

Comments

• Reply 1 of 64
    I found this nifty app which turns the dock into the same 2d view that you see when you place it on the side of the screen.

http://www.eternalstorms.at/utilities/2dornot2d/

Now I just need to find the graphics to replace to make that look like the tiger one.. (I hate both new docks..)
  • Reply 2 of 64
    actually, I like the secondary, non-3D dock (that you can change in terminal, apparently). though, of course, this is only based on pictures, as my leopard doesn't come until next Wednesday
  • Reply 3 of 64
    The 2D one is much easier to view the little LEDs that replaced the black triangles. Thanx for the link.

And while you're reverting the dock to tiger style, want to find a way to fix the icons for folders too? The new ones are ugly.
  • Reply 4 of 64
    oh, and while we're at it...is there a way to make the apple menu bar thingy more transparent? I liked it a lot more in the earlier builts where you could see through it easier. reminds me of vista (a good thing...visually, at least)
  • Reply 5 of 64
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daffy_Duck View Post

OK, count me as one of those that doesn't like the gray dock.

Thank you for that post. Your dock looks great!
  • Reply 6 of 64
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Yeah I didn't like the s-curve either. It's looking good. One other thing I changed before was the small white strip at the front of the Dock. It's hardly noticeable until you change it. Also, typing killall Dock needs the capital D.
  • Reply 7 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Yeah I didn't like the s-curve either. It's looking good. One other thing I changed before was the small white strip at the front of the Dock. It's hardly noticeable until you change it. Also, typing killall Dock needs the capital D.

I like the white strip at the front. It gives the "plate of glass" thickness.
  • Reply 8 of 64
    jonejone Posts: 102member
    Quote:

I like the white strip at the front. It gives the "plate of glass" thickness.

Why are the new little LEDs reflecting off that white strip? It doesn't make sense and bugs me to no end.
  • Reply 9 of 64
    It won't let me replace scurve-l.png

I replaced the others but it won't let me do that one for some reason.
  • Reply 10 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Footloose301 View Post

It won't let me replace scurve-l.png

I replaced the others but it won't let me do that one for some reason.

You will probably need to use sudo to get the permission required to replace it.

eg: $ sudo cp ...
  • Reply 11 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JonE View Post

Why are the new little LEDs reflecting off that white strip? It doesn't make sense and bugs me to no end.

Although the effect is not perfectly accurate, I think they were trying to approximate shining a small light through semi-transparent glass, and some of the light would in fact would come through the edge like that if the light was held close to the glass near the edge. I don't think it would look exactly like that though. I am sure some talented folks will come up with better effects.
  • Reply 12 of 64
    Quote:

You will probably need to use sudo to get the permission required to replace it.

eg: $ sudo cp ...

Thanks. I just deleted it and replaced it and it worked. I actually downloaded the png files here. Some guy posted these on another forum for everybody. The ones I made were solid black. His looked better.

Heres the http://www.mediafire.com/?1vprwelidjd to the BLACK DOCK!
  • Reply 13 of 64
    Heres mine.

Sorry they came out so small. iWeb made them that size....
  • Reply 14 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Footloose301 View Post

Thanks. I just deleted it and replaced it and it worked. I actually downloaded the png files here. Some guy posted these on another forum for everybody. The ones I made were solid black. His looked better.

Heres the http://www.mediafire.com/?1vprwelidjd to the BLACK DOCK!

Can you point me to that forum post?
  • Reply 15 of 64
    Quote:

Can you point me to that forum post?

macprodan posted it here a little over 2 weeks ago

http://forum.insanelymac.com/lofiver...55535-100.html
  • Reply 16 of 64
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JonE View Post

Yeah it looks a bit silly. I can't remember if it's actually a reflection or if it's just part of the file for the dot so you might be able to scrub it out.

Another thing is that the Dock supports transparency in the texture so you can sort of make the Dock as short as you like. The trouble is the reflection is not dependent on the opacity of the texture so it reflects fully on transparent areas.

One thing I've just thought of though is that you might be able to modify the flat Dock texture to make it look 3D but just really short. Since it doesn't reflect, it should be ok to put some transparency in there. Just make a black trapezoid shape.
  • Reply 17 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Yeah it looks a bit silly. I can't remember if it's actually a reflection or if it's just part of the file for the dot so you might be able to scrub it out.

Another thing is that the Dock supports transparency in the texture so you can sort of make the Dock as short as you like. The trouble is the reflection is not dependent on the opacity of the texture so it reflects fully on transparent areas.

One thing I've just thought of though is that you might be able to modify the flat Dock texture to make it look 3D but just really short. Since it doesn't reflect, it should be ok to put some transparency in there. Just make a black trapezoid shape.

The bottom reflection is a part of the png.
  • Reply 18 of 64
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

2. Modify them in your favorite photo editor. I used Photoshop ...

Your PS icon looks like PS 7 which crashes for me and others. Did you get it to work somehow?

m
  • Reply 19 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Your PS icon looks like PS 7 which crashes for me and others. Did you get it to work somehow?

m

It's not PS 7. I just like the icon for some reason.
  • Reply 20 of 64
    Quote:

It's not PS 7. I just like the icon for some reason.

how do you unlock the files to edit them? i tried to in get info but i couldn't.