Apple bumps MacBooks to Santa Rosa; offers 2.6GHz MacBook Pro

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
MacBooks go Santa Rosa, MacBookPro offers 2.6ghz custom order. All 4GB maximum. 4GB is the new 2GB.

Duplicate thread here, I know, just that OMFG it's early in the morning in USA and AI and tuaw hasn't picked it up.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 162
    not on the UK store yet
  • Reply 2 of 162
    phizzphizz Posts: 142member
    Ah you beat me to it.

4GB in macbooks ... sweet. I for one am glad they didn't change the macbook design, though I would have liked to have seen LED displays and a Superdrive in the base model. I can't imagine Apple are saving a ton of money by not including a Superdrive - DVD writers cost nothing these days. Will be interesting to see how the new 800Mhz FSB architecture and X3100 performs.

I'll be buying a BlackBook this weekend for sure.

Thanks, Apple. (Now sort out the IMac freezing issues and release the new Mac pro and I'll be very satisfied)
  • Reply 3 of 162
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phizz View Post

I can't imagine Apple are saving a ton of money by not including a Superdrive - DVD writers cost nothing these days.

I suspect that Apple places huge component orders lives off of the stockpile for a while. That's probably why the displays and optical drives don't get changed all that often. They probably saved a bunch of money in volume when they placed the order in '05 or '06.
  • Reply 4 of 162
    AppleInsiderAppleInsider Posts: 63,192administrator
    In unusual move early Thursday morning, Apple quietly rolled out updates to its 13-inch MacBook notebook line and also began offering customers an option to custom configure new MacBook Pro orders with a 2.6GHz Core 2 Duo chip.

The updates came without a formal announcement and instead began appearing on the company's online store in the early morning hours.

The new 13-inch MacBooks now share the same Santa Rosa-based architecture as their professional cousins, the MacBook Pros, including an 800MHz frontside bus. They also sport Intel's GMA X3100 integrated graphics video chip.

At the same time, Apple also began offering customers the ability to upgrade its 15- and 17-inch MacBook Pro notebooks with a 2.6GHz Core 2 Duo chip (+$250) and 250GB Serial ATA Drive (+ $150/$225)

Pricing & Availability

The new MacBook models are now shipping and will be available through the Apple Store, Apple?s retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers.

2.0GHz 13-inch MacBook (white)

2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo1GB memory80GB hard driveIntel GMA X3100 w/ 144MB of DDR2 SDRAM Combo drive$1,099.00

2.2GHz 13-inch MacBook (white)

2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo1GB memory120GB hard driveIntel GMA X3100 w/ 144MB of DDR2 SDRAM Double-layer SuperDrive$1,299.00

2.2GHz 13-inch MacBook (black)

2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo1GB memory160GB hard driveIntel GMA X3100 w/ 144MB of DDR2 SDRAM Double-layer SuperDrive$1,499.00
  • Reply 5 of 162
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    It's a real shame that the base model still has only a combo drive and an 80 GB HDD. Why don't they use a slower and cheaper 1.8 GHz Core 2 and use the money saved to increase the HDD and Optical drive without sacrificing their precious margins?

I'm sure that most people would choose

1.8 GHz

Double-layer DVD burner

120 GB HDD

at $1099

over

2.0 GHz

Combo drive

80 GB HDD

at $1099.
  • Reply 6 of 162
    samnuvasamnuva Posts: 225member
    Does the X1300 in the Macbooks work for the EA games??
  • Reply 7 of 162
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Yee, this is great!

But... when is a compact and sturdy macbook coming?

I refuse to buy a plastic notebook with a glass screen... feel like it's gonna break.
  • Reply 8 of 162
    Finally. Getting a mac soon then! This is what I've been waiting for!
  • Reply 9 of 162
    is there that much difference between GMA950 and GMAx3100?
  • Reply 10 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

But... when is a compact and sturdy macbook coming?

I refuse to buy a plastic notebook with a glass screen... feel like it's gonna break.

The MacBook is extremely sturdy - lots of internal metal plates and bracing.

All LCDs have glass in them so you're SOL on that one.
  • Reply 11 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by syklee26 View Post

is there that much difference between GMA950 and GMAx3100?

On paper, yes, dramatically so. However, the Windows drivers for the X3100 have thus far left a lot to be desired. Obviously, it remains to be seen what the OS X ones are like.
  • Reply 12 of 162
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Can't wait for tests to see how good the x3100 is compared to the gma950.
  • Reply 13 of 162
    About freaking time!!
  • Reply 14 of 162
    Australian Apple store is still showing the old MacBooks for sale even though the new ones are described in the main Apple Australia website. Guess if they keep quiet about the upgrade then it won't alert the suckers who will buy the outdated models clogging the retail channels...
  • Reply 15 of 162
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Can't wait for tests to see how good the x3100 is compared to the gma950.

With Intel's new drivers that unlocks more of the 3D functionality, it will be much better. As much as 100% in some areas where it had to be done in the cpu...but still...
  • Reply 16 of 162
    Apple has quietly updated their offerings for years. They only make a big deal out of serious overhauls and upgrades.
  • Reply 17 of 162
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

I'm sure that most people would choose

1.8 GHz

Double-layer DVD burner

120 GB HDD

at $1099

over

2.0 GHz

Combo drive

80 GB HDD

at $1099.

I agree, they should have DVD burners across the board by now even if it means sacrificing a small amount of CPU that people wouldn't even notice.

No redesign I notice like some rumor sites had pointed to.
  • Reply 18 of 162
    tony1tony1 Posts: 259member
    2.6 MBP! I love it when she screams!
  • Reply 19 of 162
    Canadians screwed on price:

US Store: $1099

Canadian Store: $1249

I thought the refresh would have brought about price parity on the MacBook. Guess not.

At today's (noon) nominal exhange rate of 1.0527, it should be $1044. Heh.

(Of course, the nominal rate is always a few points higher than what is offered to the consumer. So, an even price would be fair.)
  • Reply 20 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by audiopollution View Post

Canadians screwed on price:

US Store: $1099

Canadian Store: $1249

I thought the refresh would have brought about price parity on the MacBook. Guess not.

At today's (noon) nominal exhange rate of 1.0527, it should be $1044. Heh.

(Of course, the nominal rate is always a few points higher than what is offered to the consumer. So, an even price would be fair.)

What's the sales tax situation in Canada? Is there any? Is it included in the $1249 price?