Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2008)

Comments

• Reply 1381 of 2639
    I'd just like to point out that I called this in the thread two years ago: Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2006)
  • Reply 1382 of 2639
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

Wow, It happened today. Well I guess I said I new it would be soon right?

Fastidiously speaking, they didn't announce they will be exclusively Blu-ray. I can only assume they are keeping quiet until such time as they can legally admit to dropping the obsolete format.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

I'd just like to point out that I called this in the thread two years ago: Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2006)

"in this thread" It does seem like this thread has been going since then.
  • Reply 1383 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cam'ron View Post

Uh, didn't they choose by buying the players and media? Thought so. Don't hate the playa, hate the game!

Consumers? Not so much. Playstation fans bought PS3s; half of those people bought Blu-Ray discs. The HD market is still small enough that half of PS3 owners buying Blu-Ray discs was enough to overshadow HD DVD sales. End of story, really.
  • Reply 1384 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Less than a day after Toshiba's announcement Wired already a detailed walkthrough of transferring your HD-DVDs to a DRM-free digital format and then on to Blu-ray, if you so choose.

This was a factor in what made me decide not to worry about whether or not HD DVD survived, and take the plunge. Resourceful HD DVD supporters aren't going to get stuck with movies they can't play.
  • Reply 1385 of 2639
    If Sony owns it, it won't be the big winner in the end. Sony always puts the patented "only our systems can use it" stamp on everything they do.... just look at anything they make. It ultimately irritates the consumer market and they go with other products. HD DVD will win this battle in my opinion.
  • Reply 1386 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

I'm still waiting for those numbers from right now that make you so optimistic Slocombe.

Well I'll wait for your numbers from 2 years from now.. I think we'll have to agree to disagree as you seem resistant to any point of view but your own, one of imminent failure.
  • Reply 1387 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kupan787 View Post

It kind of comes back to the whole numbers game Microsoft played with the Vista launch. They were saying how the launch blew away the XP launch in terms of sales. What they didn't account for was how much computers have taken off since 2001, and how with more computers in play it is easier to reach higher sales.

Likewise, fast forward 10 years from DVD. Most people know what optical disks are now, and so the market for Blu-Ray is much bigger than the market for DVD was back when it first started. So if anything, I think that Blu-Ray needs to have sales figures higher than DVD to really be considered "on-pace".

Apples to pears?

there was a 100% install base of SD-TVs back then, the numbers have actually shrunk, the install base of HD-TVs is much smaller now than SD-TVs were in 1997.
  • Reply 1388 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Well, not "no chance." But for the last 12 months it was clear they were highly unlikely to win. I have to hand it to them...they really gave it their all. I actually thought things might change with the Paramount deal. When that didn't pan out in terms of sales, it was over.

"No chance" was Toshibas OWN words, not mine, if you don't believe what they thought, I can't change your mind, only give the information.

Funny, the few of us who believed "no chance" all along were derided, ah well, sometimes its hard being right, when everyone else thinks your wrong
  • Reply 1389 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

I am greatly relieved that Toshiba has made it official. Now, when can I get a Profile 2.0 Blu-Ray player for $199?

Yes you were, Captain Pompous. But it wasn't a sure thing until this past January when Warner went blu. It could just have easily gone the other way, as it all came down to who had more studios.

Pompous eh?

see a lot of yourself in everyone you look at?
  • Reply 1390 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

Ignoring history is not a particularly enlightened analytical technique.

Neither is slavishly following history.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bancho View Post

Beyond copy protection/region coding, what did LD have going for it when compared to DVD?

It had Han shooting first ???
  • Reply 1391 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

Yeah, I know everone knows, but here's another article...

It's official: Toshiba announces HD DVD surrender

Quote:

we still believe that most home theater fans would be better served to wait for prices on players to fall. Of course, with the exit of Blu-ray's major competition, those prices may fall later rather than sooner.

Although the article had a bit of HD DVD slant/sour grapes at the end (as prices will come down as competiton between Blu-ray companies is still thriving), I think this is the right move for Toshiba.

I have to wonder at the advice to "wait" for the prices to come down from these Pro HD-DVD people, did they "wait" for HD-DVD prices to fall? or did they buy $800 plus players being HT fans n all.. it would appear that if it was good enough for the goose (HD-DVD) it should be good enough for the gander (Blu-ray) but then the grapes as you say must be pretty sour. One only has to look at the pro HD-DVDers on this threat who espoused the virtues of HD-DVD NOW saying that DVD is "good enough"
  • Reply 1392 of 2639
    Quote:

But then how will Marzetta and Walter remind us how awesome Blu-Ray is six times a day? \

There wont be any need, your proprietary format is dead, as you were told it would be.
  • Reply 1393 of 2639
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Those are completely unsubstantiated claims regarding the author's supposed previous viewpoints. You can't claim sour grapes unless it's the same person who all of a sudden doesn't want HD.

It isn't right to pick and choose viewpoints of multiple people, combine them into one, and then argue that this make believe person has an inconsistent (sour grape) mentality.

If anyone has sour grapes here, it's the strawman.
  • Reply 1394 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

It's called they should have released their titles on both equally instead of playing favorites with the consumer as cannon fodder.

If that had happened we ( Star Trek fans ) wouldn't be sitting here wondering when Season 2 of Star Trek Remastered is going to available and in what form.

It was scheduled for March 25th before Toshiba pulled the plug. This title should be a poster child for what was wrong in this format war.

http://formatwarcentral.com/index.ph...d-not-delayed/

Hey, you waited 40 years already, Paramount jumped once, wouldn't logic dictate that they would jump again? why so emotional?
  • Reply 1395 of 2639
    Quote:

Consumers? Not so much. Playstation fans bought PS3s; half of those people bought Blu-Ray discs. The HD market is still small enough that half of PS3 owners buying Blu-Ray discs was enough to overshadow HD DVD sales. End of story, really.

Thats right, the PS3 ISN'T a consumer device...

still trying to have it both ways?
  • Reply 1396 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jsteinmann View Post

If Sony owns it, it won't be the big winner in the end. Sony always puts the patented "only our systems can use it" stamp on everything they do.... just look at anything they make. It ultimately irritates the consumer market and they go with other products. HD DVD will win this battle in my opinion.

mm.. and on an Apple forum to boot!

can you say E-Y-E-P-O-D
  • Reply 1397 of 2639
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

Thats right, the PS3 ISN'T a consumer device...

still trying to have it both ways?

360 buyers are consumers, because the device is consumed (by heat) and thrown away. The PS3 is not consumed - it will last a long time, and probably be given away or sold in a few years while still in perfect working order. No consumption involved.

• Reply 1398 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

360 buyers are consumers, because the device is consumed (by heat) and thrown away. The PS3 is not consumed - it will last a long time, and probably be given away or sold in a few years while still in perfect working order. No consumption involved.

mm funny, but seriously catching the TB360 isnt funny.

but thanks for pointing out WHY the PS3 ISN'T a consumer device, I now retract everything I said in defense of it, and give deep and sincere apologies to the likes of Cory and the 360 apologist Elixer. how bountiful their wisdom is. how fresh their grapes are, still hanging on the vine - in the shade - far from the sun.

• Reply 1399 of 2639
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    Quote:

Well I'll wait for your numbers from 2 years from now.. I think we'll have to agree to disagree as you seem resistant to any point of view but your own, one of imminent failure.

I thought you didn't have any real answer. Just checking.
  • Reply 1400 of 2639
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    Quote:

Hey, you waited 40 years already, Paramount jumped once, wouldn't logic dictate that they would jump again? why so emotional?

Because it's an illustration of what's wrong with this whole picture. However you're so blinded by BR you can't see any other take. Pathetic.

Of course they'll jump again. But there was no reason for this. The companies on both sides should have released their titles equally. What's the matter so blinded you can't read anymore?

This wasn't decided by the consumer is what's wrong. They might have still picked BR but that's not the issue here. And over all there isn't a really positive feel on the web this moring about this whole mess. The only ones that are celebrating are BR cheerleaders. And they're not in the majority of the public responses.

As I've said before alot of people are saying " I'll stick with DVD ". Gee I wonder why? Now you'll say " So now you don't want BR to succeed ". Which is not what I said at all. Just thought I'd make the reply for you. By making this war so stupid they BR proponents are cutting their own throats.

And you know what? Despite all of this I hope BR recovers and takes the market. But it's got alot of work ahead of it. Prices, titles, and good PR etc.