Intel says Mac Pro-bound Harpertown Xeons set speed records

Comments

• Reply 21 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...These breakthroughs, Intel says, clear the path for the chipmaker to design products that are 25 percent smaller than previous versions and, thus, more cost-effective, as well as the ability next year to pursue new ultra mobile and consumer electronics "system on chip" opportunities.

So it's the next year waiting game again? Perhaps this is what Apple is awaiting in order to really bring to life a compact portable. Good news.
  • Reply 22 of 122
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

if my memory is correct, Core Duo Yonah and at least one of the model of Xeon and Core 2 Extreme 2.60 (mobile) given exclusive access to apple first than any other vendor ...

i agree it will take until Jan MWSF, if mac mini, mac & mac pro will be redesigned and upgraded ...

What do you think the chances are that Apple will use the new 45nm chips in Mac Mini and iMac's? And would Apple do it at the same time as in the Mac Pro or wait until the dust (MacPro) clears?

I wonder if the new chips (using less power) mean that the Nano is in the near future.
  • Reply 23 of 122
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Tomorrow or Wednesday, it's coming. I can feel it! Mac Pro now!!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 24 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

What do you think the chances are that Apple will use the new 45nm chips in Mac Mini and iMac's? And would Apple do it at the same time as in the Mac Pro or wait until the dust (MacPro) clears?

I wonder if the new chips (using less power) mean that the Nano is in the near future.

45nm desktop parts in large quantities not available until middle of 2008 though there is one QX9650 extreme chip available, i am saying more on the products refersh as whole Mac Mini, Mac, Mac Pro

i meant Mac (not iMac) aka the gMac, xMac, Mac Tower ...
  • Reply 25 of 122
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I have a credit card with nothing on it sitting here just waiting for MWSF if Apple can deliver something with some serious graphics performance.

I seriously expect a whole new Mac Pro design, or two at MWSF.
  • Reply 26 of 122
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,599member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

if my memory is correct, Core Duo Yonah and at least one of the model of Xeon and Core 2 Extreme 2.60 (mobile) given exclusive access to apple first than any other vendor ...

i agree it will take until Jan MWSF, if mac mini, mac & mac pro will be redesigned and upgraded ...

The Yonah was the chip I was talking about. That was the first chip Apple needed, to show that they could come through.

The only other chip that Apple had any real advance of, was the 3GHz Xenon I also mentioned.

All other times, either Apple announced new upgrades at the same time, or afterwards, sometimes by months.

There have been rumors that Apple was paying Intel extra so that they could hoard the new 3.2GHz Xenons, but so far, there is no evidence of that.

I would rather see a new machine with the new chips a couple of months after, than the old machine with the new chips now.
  • Reply 27 of 122
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

That's not so far away. What's the rush? Are you going to put your money down the minute it's announced? If Apple just announces 45nm machines, it won't be a big deal.

What I'd like to see, and I'd rather wait until Macworld, if necessary, is an announcement of Express 2, and other new technologies that are just now coming on line, but that no one else has.

I don't want the same old generation of machine we've had for years, with a simple cpu upgrade. If that's what happens, we'll likely have to wait even longer for something new, possibly not until Nehalen, late next year.

SSE4 would give current purchasers a bit of extra life so even just a Penryn bump is worthwhile. No way Apple is waiting for Nehalem.

40% improvement in codecs that use SSE4 and 25%=75% VM improvements is nice too.

Why wouldn't Apple do Seaburg and PCI 2.0? In any case I think there are already 2.0 motherboards out there from Tyan and ASUS with Seaburg.

The only thing I see Apple holding out for is chip volume.
  • Reply 28 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

SSE4 would give current purchasers a bit of extra life so even just a Penryn bump is worthwhile. No way Apple is waiting for Nehalem.

40% improvement in codecs that use SSE4 and 25%=75% VM improvements is nice too.

Why wouldn't Apple do Seaburg and PCI 2.0? In any case I think there are already 2.0 motherboards out there from Tyan and ASUS with Seaburg.

Chip Volumes are there, HP/Dell etc have announced machines with them, and if you call up and ask for 400 servers with quad processors, you're not getting a no you can't have that.

At the moment the Mac Pro at the bottom end is very poor value compared to the same price Imac, (i.e 2.8Ghz and a "free" 24 inch monitor.

yes it's glossy, but that's the only down side..

I expect an anncouncement soon from Apple on the new Mac pro's at least a speed bump/price adjustment if Penryn is not coming before January.
  • Reply 29 of 122
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    mel, many PC manufacturers ANNOUNCED the chips before Apple but they actually shipped at the same time. In fact the PC shipments were token while Apple had reasonable supplies. I would expect the same again.
  • Reply 30 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

I'm not saying anywhere that Apple isn't going to go to Penyrn. Of course they will.

What I did say is that I'd rather see an upgraded machine design come out in January WITH Penyrn, than a simple CPU upgrade now, which would make it more difficult for Apple to replace it in the next two or three months with a new design. I'd like to see Express 2. But you know how Apple is with Mobos. They are slow to change. Meaning that a new design might have to wait for, at the earliest, the ADC, or possibly, Nehalen, if they simply upgrade with a new chip right now.

I would also think that after last years criticism of Apple's Macworld introduction of the iPhone to the exclusion of almost everything else, they may want to provide more computer introductions this year.

The preliminary tests of these new processors on the tech sites have proven to be disappointing. While some functions are indeed noticeably faster, many others are only by a few percent. SSE4 advantages will, in many cases, have to wait for software to be coded for the new functionality. That will take months for much software.
  • Reply 31 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinney57 View Post

mel, many PC manufacturers ANNOUNCED the chips before Apple but they actually shipped at the same time. In fact the PC shipments were token while Apple had reasonable supplies. I would expect the same again.

That only happened a couple of times. And Apple themselves often announced, only to not deliver some models (usually the higher end ones) weeks, or even a month, or so, later.
  • Reply 32 of 122
    I'm thinking Wednesday November 14 due to Monday being Veterans' Day a national holiday. If it isn't Wednesday then I am clueless when it will be before January 15. Early December? I'm clueless anyway. But I like to post my guess because it makes me feel like I am accomplishing something.

I'll be buying the top tier with a 16GB kit from a third party - probably Omni Tech via Ramseeker.com for about $999 (they say).
  • Reply 33 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Multimedia View Post

I'm thinking Wednesday November 14 due to Monday being Veterans' Day a national holiday. If it isn't Wednesday then I am clueless when it will be before January 15. Early December? I'm clueless anyway. But I like to post my guess because it makes me feel like I am accomplishing something.

I'll be buying the top tier with a 16GB kit from a third party - probably Omni Tech via Ramseeker.com for about $999 (they say).

If you haven't noticed, we're all clueless. We just pretend we aren't.
  • Reply 34 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kresh View Post

The nails are starting to be pounded into AMD's coffin!

No they're not. They're making great strides at the high end.

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Corporate/V...121775,00.html

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Corporate/V...121853,00.html

http://ati.amd.com/products/streamprocessor/specs.html

AMD FireStream? 9170: Industry's First GPU with Double-Precision Floating Point

AMD FireStream 9170 Specifications

Features