Apple set to ship Macs with Blu-ray support - report

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 153
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Sorry bud but try watching picture in picture on the PS3- can't! HD DVD people watch it all the time- it's a real cinema machine not a gaming device that happens to play movie discs. Foot in your mouth! And just because a PS3 can do what you state why can't all blu ray machines do it too? OUCH!!!

Apparently you didn't get the memo. It's about two weeks old.

Quote:

Sony has unleashed the new Firmware update for PlayStation 3, version 2.10. The update is now live with improvements such as support for DivX and VC-1 video codecs, as well as the addition of Picture in Picture (PiP) features via the new Blu-ray Profile 1.1 (otherwise known as Bonus View).

• Reply 142 of 153
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Is it just me, or is the "stud" just randomly jumping from one supposed advantage of HD DVD to another without really staying on the conversation? Debunk one thing and he brings up an unrelated one, which promptly gets debunked. Rampant foot-in-mouth disease there.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bancho View Post

Hopefully the recent news of Warner going blu ray exclusive will help end this bickering sooner rather than later.

There were people in the "vs" thread who kept saying it would never happen. Some of the same people insisted having a format war was good. Warner's press release today must have had them picking their jaws off the floor. Between Warner and Apple (assuming the latter is true), this is a double blow to HD DVD.
  • Reply 143 of 153
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Sorry bud but try watching picture in picture on the PS3- can't! HD DVD people watch it all the time- it's a real cinema machine not a gaming device that happens to play movie discs. Foot in your mouth! And just because a PS3 can do what you state why can't all blu ray machines do it too? OUCH!!!

PS3 has Profile 1.1, which does PIP with a secondary decoder.

Personally, I don't "get" the idea of PIP, but then, I'm not ADD. I bought PIP on my TV maybe six years ago, and I've never really used it other than to see if it works. It's not even a consideration for me until I see an interesting use for it. I rarely watch with commentaries on, even then, I don't care to see the director's head while playing commentary. Simultaneous green screen and production shots in PIP for the entire movie is a novelty that goes away pretty quickly for me.
  • Reply 144 of 153
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

Is it just me, or is the "stud" just randomly jumping from one supposed advantage of HD DVD to another without really staying on the conversation? Debunk one thing and he brings up an unrelated one, which promptly gets debunked. Rampant foot-in-mouth disease there.

Exactly!

[/quote]

There were people in the "vs" thread who kept saying it would never happen. Some of the same people insisted having a format war was good. Warner's press release today must have had them picking their jaws off the floor. Between Warner and Apple (assuming the latter is true), this is a double blow to HD DVD.[/QUOTE]

I agree. The move by Paramount was a blow to BD, but so far, hasn't made a dent in the recent sales figures. I wonder how long they will bite their knuckles while seeing BD sales continue to pound HD-DVD sales, and wonder just what they're missing.

But Warner's action counters theirs. Most studios are exclusively BD. That will make a big difference. If Apple adds Bd, and sells 3 million machines with the players this year, that will sell a lot of disks.
  • Reply 145 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

PS3 has Profile 1.1, which does PIP with a secondary decoder.

Personally, I don't "get" the idea of PIP, but then, I'm not ADD. I bought PIP on my TV maybe six years ago, and I've never really used it other than to see if it works. It's not even a consideration for me until I see an interesting use for it. I rarely watch with commentaries on, even then, I don't care to see the director's head while playing commentary. Simultaneous green screen and production shots in PIP for the entire movie is a novelty that goes away pretty quickly for me.

I find PIP to be REALLY annoying.
  • Reply 146 of 153
    I'm a pro videographer. I use Final Cut Pro almost exclusively to edit and until recently DVD Studio Pro to deliver my original content.

The truth is FCP and Compressor will output fairly agnostic HD video. I deliver content in both HD-DVD and Blu-ray. I preview on players from Toshiba and Samsung on a Samsung HDTV. I use a Sony BD-RE burner. It all works. There's not much difference between the two in terms of quality of playback of my original content. Of course I have commercial movies in both formats as well. Much of the quality is determined by the way the original was captured (film versus DV) and the encoder used by the manufacturer. Case in point with HD-DVD is "Transformers" and "Ocean's Thirteen". The former has a lot of bright sequences and a ton of CGI and looks fantastic. The latter was filmed in dark settings to set a somewhat darker mood. (These are criminals after all) and on a HD set it doesn't have quite the same feel.

As far as original content, I have to go to Adobe Encore to publish in Blu-Ray, but HD-DVD works with a standard DVD-R. You only get about 30-40 minutes of video, depending on your quality settings on a DVD-R, but it works great! If I use the original files in Encore rather than the Compressor HD output, the quality is a little bit better. Although, when I can afford to upgrade to Final Cut Studio 2, it will probably be on par.

BTW, I can play back Blu-Ray on my Macs (Both Tiger and Leopard) when I have the Blu-Ray burner attached. Leopard will even burn a BD-R image as well as erase BD-RE through disk utility. On Tiger I use Roxio Toast Titanium, which in my opinion, is probably a better solution for BD-R and BD-RE.

Both my HD-DVD and Blu-Ray players have the latest firmware updates downloaded directly to them from the internet. Convenient, but slow. And if you don't have a broadband connection, you're better off downloading the updates to a computer and burning them to CD.

Lastly, the biggest concern I have about the format wars, and one that may likely determine who wins, is how friendly the formats are to consumers. I prefer BD because I can get the hardware for my original content much easier than HD-DVD. But the BD spec changes so often and mostly on the side of the studios, that it can put them in too much in the drivers seat in terms of how content, original or commercial, is controlled. It scares me that there seems to be a real lack of consumer groups participating in either format Alliance. The difference behind the scenes between BD and DVD are enormous, and I'm not just talking about the resolution or hardware.

Apple is smart in not declaring exclusive allegiance to one format or the other. Blu-Ray is the better format for the long term solely because of it's capacity and bit rate. Quality really has nothing to do with it, other wise we'd have been using Beta tapes. At these resolutions, quality is more determined by the player, facility the media was produced at, and the display device than the format. Price will be the major determining factor. I picked up 2 HD-DVD players at WalMart for $99. My Samsung BD was $280. Unfortunately, the commercial movies are about the same $30 - $40 in either format. Blank media costs about the same too with only a few dollars difference (HD-DVD around $15 for single layer, $25 for dual and BD around $20 for single, $30 for dual). Whoever makes a move in the commercial movie prices will probably either draw the wars out longer or seal it up.

That's my 2cents from the trenches.
  • Reply 147 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Yes but it took nigh a decade to get to that point. I'm not waiting a decade and dealing with the problems thare are inevitable for optical tech waiting for Blu-ray to become affordable. Optical has always been the cheap but slow technology and Blu-ray and HD DVD do not change that. Both are slow as molasses compared to Flash and HDD storage. I'm not buying Quad Core computers only to be hobbled by a slow optical drive. No thanks.

why do you insist on playing the role of a dingbat?

simple question for you, "How long did it take to get to that $50 for 16GB of flash storage?"

same time scale as optical?

or slightly quicker?

or if BD is settled upon as a standard, then it will drop in price as a storage medium as it reaches mass acceptance/penetration.

It's slow is it? m'kay I get your point, but as a content creator how many copys of your movie/product do you have to send to the duplicators? ..thats right ONE.

how long did the editing take before you burned the disc? oh gosh darn LONGER than it takes to burn the disc, well who'da thunk it.
  • Reply 148 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

Funny, just before I read this, I was thinking "is "he" reading the internets in some sort of 3 month old temporal warp?" Everything "he" comes out with is at least 3 months in the past. its almost laughable if it wasn't so annoying.
  • Reply 149 of 153
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

Funny, just before I read this, I was thinking "is "he" reading the internets in some sort of 3 month old temporal warp?" Everything "he" comes out with is at least 3 months in the past. its almost laughable if it wasn't so annoying.

To be honest, you guys should take him more seriously. Here's some things to note:

- His use of initial caps on all words in some posts.

- His ADHD method of responding to, and bringing forth new issues.

There is a code there somewhere, and it may be important. I think someone should concatenate all his posts and pump 'em through an enigma machine to see what they all really mean.

The future of life as we know it may be at stake.
  • Reply 150 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BoanergesX View Post

BTW, I can play back Blu-Ray on my Macs (Both Tiger and Leopard) when I have the Blu-Ray burner attached. Leopard will even burn a BD-R image as well as erase BD-RE through disk utility. On Tiger I use Roxio Toast Titanium, which in my opinion, is probably a better solution for BD-R and BD-RE.

]

are you talking about plating back commercial disks, or the ones you burned?

This is still a confusing area, because while, in theory, the DRM must be present from the player through the monitor, Sony and others have stated that they won't enforce this until 2009, or so. But, when it is enforced, only a standard rez version will pass through a system without the DRM.

Quote:

Blank media costs about the same too with only a few dollars difference (HD-DVD around $15 for single layer, $25 for dual and BD around $20 for single, $30 for dual).

Those prices are high. Where do you get them?

Verbatim disks and Taiyo Yuden, can be had for much less than that. Diskmakers, and even the consumer Cyberguys, has BD-R 25 for $11.29 in packs of 10 with Jewel case. BD-RE 25 with Jewel case for $15.49. HD DVD-R 15 10 pack, Jewel for $9.79, and HD DVD+R DL 30 for $19.29.

That's each, by the way.

I don't have the Diskmakers in front of me so I don't have the price for the BD 50's.
  • Reply 151 of 153
    Macs with Blu-ray players? Not until they're burners too I hope.

What I really want is an APPLE TV with a Blu-ray player! That I would buy.
  • Reply 152 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by - J B 7 2 - View Post

Macs with Blu-ray players? Not until they're burners too I hope.

What I really want is an APPLE TV with a Blu-ray player! That I would buy.

There are burners for the Mac already, have been for a few months.

But, the software doesn't yet allow movie playback.
  • Reply 153 of 153
    Blu-ray para DVD Mac edit Blu-ray DVD using cropping, trimming, watermarking function; and for transferring Blu-ray DVD for playback on media players and mobile devices like iPhone, iPod, iPad, PSP, PS3, Apple TV, Zune, Xbox 360, Blackberry, Archos, Creative Zen, etc.