Apple introduces new Mac Pro topping out at 3.2GHz

Comments

• Reply 81 of 253
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

I don't recall this happening with the g5's or the Mac Pros. Did it with the G4's? The only one I can think of that was possibility was Yosamite vs Sawtooth.

They did. The single chip G5's were PCI while the others higher up were PCI-X.

I believe the single cpu Intel machines had a different board as well, at least in the beginning.
  • Reply 82 of 253
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ak1808 View Post

On the medium tower myth

There is no future for user-serviced PCs.

Soon we'll all be using iPhone, iTVs and iFridges.

And just like Phones, TVs and Fridges before, these devices will come out of a box, work instantly and get replaced in a multi-year cycle.

If Apple ever had plans to make a medium tower, it was 10 years ago.

Times have changed. Lets move on.

Don't forget the gaming market. It's big in the PC world, you know. Apple has been ignoring it for a long time. Also... from a environmental standpoint, buying an iMac every 2'nd year just to keep up to date is really bad. The screen could last for many many years, and the computer too.. sometimes a graphics card is all that's needed.. or a cpu update. There is currently no mac suitable for gaming in. Mac Pro is too expensive, and iMac's graphic performance is dated shortly after its introduction.

I personally don't care, because I'm not a computer gamer.. but if there's a good time to introduce a gamer's mac, it's now that Apple and Leopard is on everybody's lips. Conventional PC guys concider Macs today. The shiftover is all happening right now. But they still don't wanna give up gaming, so either they'll buy the gamer's mac, or they'll buy a cheap PC and set it up for gaming, in addition to their new mac. So.. I think now is a good time to introduce the gamer's mac.
  • Reply 83 of 253
    Absolutely awesome, but I'll wait for NAB to see if Blu-ray and a new version of DVD Studio Pro shows up.
  • Reply 84 of 253
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

They did. The single chip G5's were PCI while the others higher up were PCI-X.

I believe the single cpu Intel machines had a different board as well, at least in the beginning.

All the single cpu intel machines had the same mobo as the dual... I'm assuming you're talking about core duo -> core 2 duo. All they did was a drop in replacement for the cpu. Which is why the 2.33 core2duo is still limited to 3gb of ram just like the coreduo was. That is unless you're talking about the developer machines vs the mac pro which was enitrely different as they weren't even using xeons in those.

Changing a PCI southbridge is a lot easier than ditching a whole socket though... but I never put anything passed apple. We'll have to wait and see.
  • Reply 85 of 253
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

I have a nice feeling we are in for an exciting week...

That is what we are all hoping. At first I was like "what the hell is Apple doing??". I mean, why is Apple announcing stuff ahead of macworld? Wouldn't that take away from the surprises on the first day of Macworld? Then I thought that perhaps there will be a lot of other cool stuff at macworld to announce and that they are announcing the mac pro and xserve updates now to get them out of the way.

At least this is what we hope.
  • Reply 86 of 253
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

No!

We'll likely have to wait 'till the ADC and Nehalem for that.

I love the case. I don't know what they could do to the outside to improve upon it's ascetics .

Quote:

For recording, and data.

You're not saying someone offers movie playback through the Mac, are you?

No, I'm not. I must have misread the OP.

Quote:

One configuration for CPUs. IE 1 out of 4 configurations is only single CPU vs dual CPU. IE quad vs octo.

So why would they change the motherboard for 1 of the 4 CPU configurations? Seems like a waste. Why not just not put one of the CPUs in?

I assumed it was the same MoBo but with one less chip. Can't they build in a jumper for a bypass?
  • Reply 87 of 253
    I know dell does this with their workstation. They have offered dual cpu or single cpu, and all they do is not put a cpu in it.
  • Reply 88 of 253
    Quote:

I know dell does this with their workstation. They have offered dual cpu or single cpu, and all they do is not put a cpu in it.

It's certainly possible. But with Apple it's also not.
  • Reply 89 of 253
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Football View Post

Holy crap!!! These things friggin' rock.

Yesterday you could buy a four processor 2.66 for $2,499

Today you get an eight processor 2.8 for $2,799

That's only an extra $300. Awesome.

By the way, yesterday it cost $4,000 for a eight core 3.0

2.8 will be just fine for me.

Yeah, but what software is going to use more than 4 processors effectively? Most of the benchmarks are comparing the new machines to the Quad G5s, and comparisons to other Mac Pros just seem to show the difference in clock speed.
  • Reply 90 of 253
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I love the case. I don't know what they could do to the outside to improve upon it's ascetics .

It isn't so much that it would look better, as much as it would be new.

If you look at eBay, you can see how the value of machines drop after certain changes are made to new machines.

When Apple comes out with a new case, which they will do at some point, all of the older case machines will have their value cut significantly.

If you buy an old machine, but it has a current case, you can pretend to yourself, and others, that it is a new machine. But when the case is changed, suddenly, it's pretty obvious that your machine is "old", even if you bought it the week before. It's like driving a new car out of the lot the end of December.

I know we don't like to think we're that unsophisticated, but it does come into it.
  • Reply 91 of 253
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:

All the single cpu intel machines had the same mobo as the dual... I'm assuming you're talking about core duo -> core 2 duo. All they did was a drop in replacement for the cpu. Which is why the 2.33 core2duo is still limited to 3gb of ram just like the coreduo was. That is unless you're talking about the developer machines vs the mac pro which was enitrely different as they weren't even using xeons in those.

Changing a PCI southbridge is a lot easier than ditching a whole socket though... but I never put anything passed apple. We'll have to wait and see.

1.6 Ghz Power Mac G5: Single socket logic board with PCI slots.

Dual 2 Ghz Power Mac G5: Dual socket logic board with PCI-X slots.

Single 1.8 Ghz Power Mac G5: Single socket logic board with PCI slots. CPU and heat sink were not removable. Frontside bus was 1/3 CPU speed compared to the 1/2 in the other PM G5's.

Dual Core 2.0 and 2.3 Ghz Power Mac G5: Single socket logic board with a dual core G5 CPU and PCI Express.

Power Mac G5 Quad 2.5 Ghz: Dual socket logic board with 2 dual core G5's liquid cooled and PCI Express.
  • Reply 92 of 253
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Apple's DVD Studio Pro has support for creating blue-laser discs.

The support there is very limited. It'll only create an HD-DVD-compliant file-structure, and it won't encode High-Profile H.264, which is the preferred profile for HD-DVD and Blu-ray discs.
  • Reply 93 of 253
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by the cool gut View Post

Yeah, but what software is going to use more than 4 processors effectively? Most of the benchmarks are comparing the new machines to the Quad G5s, and comparisons to other Mac Pros just seem to show the difference in clock speed.

People keep using this argument...... the software is called OS X . If you are running multiple programs you are effectively running multiple cpus even if they aren't programmed for multi-processing.
  • Reply 94 of 253
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

The support there is very limited. It'll only create an HD-DVD-compliant file-structure, and it won't encode High-Profile H.264, which is the preferred profile for HD-DVD and Blu-ray discs.

BD has mostly been using MPEG-2.
  • Reply 95 of 253
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

1.6 Ghz Power Mac G5: Single socket logic board with PCI slots.

Dual 2 Ghz Power Mac G5: Dual socket logic board with PCI-X slots.

Single 1.8 Ghz Power Mac G5: Single socket logic board with PCI slots. CPU was not removable. Frontside bus was 1/3 CPU speed compared to the 1/2 in the other PM G5's.

Dual Core 2.0 and 2.3 Ghz Power Mac G5: Single socket logic board with a dual core G5 CPU and PCI Express.

Power Mac G5 Quad 2.5 Ghz: Dual socket logic board with 2 dual core G5's liquid cooled and PCI Express.

THat history is across a line of 4 revisions. The first rev was 1.6, 1.8, and dual 2.0. I was under the impression there was still 2 sockets even on the 1.6 though.
  • Reply 96 of 253
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:

I thought that was just at the outset.
  • Reply 96 of 253
    Quote:

Actually towards the middle of 2006 they switched to pretty much all MPEG-4. You can look up all the details at hidefdigest.com for their specs.
  • Reply 98 of 253
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    The RAID card continues to be a rip off. At $800, it does not even support external SAS drives.
  • Reply 99 of 253
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    I have to say that my biggest surprise is that they didn't redesign the case. I think this is the first time ever that an Apple design is going into it's 5th year without a major redesign.
  • Reply 100 of 253
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guartho View Post

I thought that was just at the outset.

They hadn't felt the need because of the extra capacity on the disks. as more stuff is put on the disks it will continue to move over.