Comments

• Reply 21 of 116
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Samnuva View Post

just what i was thinking

same

then next thing would be floating matrixes or something insane

thats it, its not going to be a laptop but a floating cube of protons that projects the image into your brain!

• Reply 22 of 116
    You mean I can spend $1000 on a laptop totally dependent on craptastic wifi? Sweet, I so look forward to that. Of course I'm sure there will be a usb -> Ethernet adapter available at Apple's standard low rate <eyeroll>.

Seriously, depending solely on WiFi will a painful user experience.
  • Reply 23 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robert Jacobs View Post

Hmm, Nice concept. I'd need some sort of external monitor support for use with a projector.

The target audience for this type of computer most likely won't need that, hence the reason to eliminate certain connectors to slim it down.

People are complaining about the lack of optical drive...once again, Apple is leading innovation by leaving out features that aren't needed...a disc drive, floppy drives...You can get jump drives that are 4 GBs and half the size of a lighter.

This type of device isn't meant to be your only computer, it will most likely not be very powerful, will not have amazing graphics...but, it will do what 95% of people need/want it to do- be small, light, portable, connect to the internet/email/iwork/keynote, and will play movies/music from the itunes store.
  • Reply 24 of 116
    That is exactly right, this is targeted at, for example, people who already HAVE a computer, specifically a desktop, but would like some mobility.

I am REALLY thinking about getting this...but I want it to be less than $1000.
  • Reply 25 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by surfmonkey89 View Post

You mean I can spend $1000 on a laptop totally dependent on craptastic wifi? Sweet, I so look forward to that. Of course I'm sure there will be a usb -> Ethernet adapter available at Apple's standard low rate <eyeroll>.

Seriously, depending solely on WiFi will a painful user experience.

What's wrong with Wifi? I've got it at work, home, my 60+ year old parents have it at both of their houses, almost all college kids have them in their apartments, you can get it at every airport.

And if you really need it, you can get it at most coffee shops/starbucks, etc.

Maybe if you are doing professional work and need the high data rates across your network, then I recommend you get a macbook/Macbook pro.
  • Reply 26 of 116
    thttht Posts: 5,451member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

It may also double as an axe head.

Replying just to say this is hilarious! LOL

Not getting enough sleep...
  • Reply 27 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

It makes one wonder if it's possible to have a laptop that's TOO thin.

The easier it fits into the magazine pouches in airliner seats -- which they always tell you not to use for holding laptops -- the better. I am psyched. If you go back a few months, I think I spec'ed out a design that is pretty much exactly what this mock-up purports will be landing tomorrow.
  • Reply 28 of 116
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

It makes one wonder if it's possible to have a laptop that's TOO thin.

While 3/16" is quite thin, it's only that at the very front. It thickens as it goes back. Having worked in the family engineering business for a few years I can tell you these dimensions along with the strengthening curved shape will make it plenty strong. Besides, 3/16" is thicker than you think - for solid, high quality aluminum.

There's something in the air alright, it's called Apple marketing.

If Steve says the words, and I'm sure he will; "it's as light as air!" I will definitely want to punch him
  • Reply 29 of 116
    Ireland, if this thing folds over into a tablet like 9to5 suggests, will you geek out as much as I will?

I still don't know what you would do with the keyboard....other than that, I like the idea.
  • Reply 30 of 116
    If that design is accurate, Apple is going to have a gigantic hit on it's hands.
  • Reply 31 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogzilla View Post

Ireland, if this thing folds over into a tablet like 9to5 suggests, will you geek out as much as I will?

I still don't know what you would do with the keyboard....other than that, I like the idea.

I sure would. If it did though, likely Apple would have a clever solution the obvious design flaw seemingly present here - whereby the keyboards would get crusty.

I "highly" doubt it will have a multi-touch screen.
  • Reply 32 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

If that design is accurate, Apple is going to have a gigantic hit on it's hands.

Was just thinking that, it can't help but be huge Internationally. And especially in Asia.
  • Reply 33 of 116
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    if its anything like that this is definitely another amazing piece of hardware from apple.

i see this thing selling tons
  • Reply 34 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I sure would. If it did though, likely Apple would have a clever solution the obvious design flaw seemingly present here - whereby the keyboards would get crusty.

I "highly" doubt it will have a multi-touch screen.

Exactly what I was thinking.

I agree as well...but if it did...and no crusty getting keyboard....*geeks out*
  • Reply 35 of 116
    its a FAKE FAKE FAKE.

In the side view the keys are raised. In the frontal view they are flush with the casing.

Two different images.

Not real.

At best its a guesstimate of what the real thing will be.
  • Reply 36 of 116
    A Digital Lifestyle is esentially 'Your Content Anywhere" I think the 'something in the air' refers to both broadcasting (content) and maybe WiFi (a means).

A thin sub notebook isn't revolutionary, for me it would be like the Cube, interesting to look at but 'so what'. (If Steve Jobs introduced a MacBook Touch (12-15 inch screen with multi touch), that would be revolutionary but i think it is a little early for that maybe 09).

This year, as far as hardware goes, a much improved Apple TV is what is missing. The iPhone bought the internet to the pocket, they need to bring the internet to the living room. This requires the Apple TV to be a full-scale Mac, plus PVR/Tivo capabilities.

All your content (songs/podcasts/tv shows/movies) anywhere (Phones/computers/living room). This would be a compelling reason to becoming an all Apple household.

No ease feat but apple is in a unique posistion to make this happen with hardware/client software/ and internet services.
  • Reply 37 of 116
    suhailsuhail Posts: 192member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by echosonic View Post

its a FAKE FAKE FAKE.

In the side view the keys are raised. In the frontal view they are flush with the casing.

Two different images.

Not real.

Exactly!

And with a mechanical keyboard, the structure will be unable to hold any circuitry or battery. Also since the keys are raised, the lid will not be able to close without the screen pressing ALL the keys down (see side view).
  • Reply 38 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by echosonic View Post

its a FAKE FAKE FAKE.

Two different images.

Not real.

Read the bloody article! It SAYS they are mockups based on what they heard. Probably quick ones too.
  • Reply 39 of 116
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

3/16" thick? Gosh, I hope not. One misplaced book on top of this thing and you're going to fracture the entire computer like a potato chip (unless the whole thing is made of frubber).

On the other hand, a cordless, completely wireless computer does have a bit of an evil appeal to me. It could even have a new version of the mag-safe power cord that simply slaps onto the side like a magnetic teardrop.

Maybe a typo, and a 1 was left off. Possibly (if this is real) the thickest part is 13/16 thick. That would make sense.
  • Reply 40 of 116
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogzilla View Post

That is exactly right, this is targeted at, for example, people who already HAVE a computer, specifically a desktop, but would like some mobility.

I am REALLY thinking about getting this...but I want it to be less than $1000.

Sorry. But, nope. The thinner it is, the more expensive it is.