Wired claims, corroborates last-minute "MacBook Air" details

Comments

• Reply 81 of 116
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

the unit is void of any ports with the exception of an unknown slot.

If true, my guess is a magnetic docking station port....

Dave
  • Reply 82 of 116
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    The Apple Store just went down in Australia. And so it begins...
  • Reply 83 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogzilla View Post

Exactly what I was thinking.

I agree as well...but if it did...and no crusty getting keyboard....*geeks out*

the Wired source says it has a multi-touch screen! so get ready to geek-out today.
  • Reply 84 of 116
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogzilla View Post

Yes...it IS a fake...because it is a MOCK UP! It ISN'T A PHOTO OF THE ACTUAL DEVICE! It is PHOTOSHOPPED! They say it in the article...

Why...don't...people...read?

I think they are asking if the rumor is true. The answer to that is no one knows until the keynote.
  • Reply 85 of 116
    here's one of the things that makes macworld fun (and suspenseful):

I'm at the mac store near the Moscone here in SF yesterday, talking to a salesperson about things--the new iPhoto, NAS devices, etc. When we're done I told him, "I hope something really neat's announced tomorrow for immediate availability, I love coming straight to the store and buying the new stuff after the keynote."

"Well, I guess we'll see you tomorrow then," he says, and walks away.
  • Reply 86 of 116
    3dg3dg Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ragarcia View Post

Just today I was installing an iMac and kept getting awed by the magnificence that is the new keyboard.

This laptop is basically that keyboard with a screen and that makes it an incredible piece of technology.

At first, when I read "no ethernet" I was turned off a bit, but when I really thought about it, the only time I really need ethernet is if I want to connect to a client's network. Something that can be easily solved with at least:

- a USB to ethernet adapter (if those don't exist yet, I'm sure they will once this is released)

- Airport Express (or similar gadget)

- something that attaches to that unknown port

So, having realized that no ethernet is really a non-issue, I now still need to think through how I'm going to watch my exercise DVDs (something I can't buy on iTunes) without a built-in DVD drive...

I was just looking at my keyboard, then comparing to that mockup image - and absolutely agree.

Look closely at the front of that image - it looks just like the new keyboards. I like this keyboard so much, I use it on my PC as well as Mac.

We'll know in a few hours!
  • Reply 87 of 116
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtdunham View Post

"Well, I guess we'll see you tomorrow then," he says, and walks away.

CONFIRMNEDD!!!!!1
  • Reply 88 of 116
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kevinneal View Post

whats the point of having a usb to ethernet converter, the main advantage of ethernet over wireless is its speed, that is lost if you go through a usb converter, so you may as well use wireless.

Many hotels rooms, including the one I'm in at this very moment, have only ethernet -- no wifi. For that, I could live with a USB-to-Ethernet dongle. Given Apple's target disk mode and the lack of an internal optical drive, I would be flabbergasted if it didn't include Firewire. I will buy one if and only if it supports an external monitor (hopefully at 2560x1600).
  • Reply 89 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

I think they are asking if the rumor is true. The answer to that is no one knows until the keynote.

Actually, I am refering to the people who are, for example, using the fact that they used a Tiger screenshot to photoshop the image and think they are making a big reveal that this isn't an actual image of the product.
  • Reply 90 of 116
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,273member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

Many hotels rooms, including the one I'm in at this very moment, have only ethernet -- no wifi. For that, I could live with a USB-to-Ethernet dongle. Given Apple's target disk mode and the lack of an internal optical drive, I would be flabbergasted if it didn't include Firewire. I will buy one if and only if it supports an external monitor (hopefully at 2560x1600).

Airport Express. Plug it into the Ethernet and then you're wireless. No wired dongle needed.
  • Reply 91 of 116
    amac4meamac4me Posts: 282member
    We'll know in just a few more hours. No need to get worked up over a mockup. Either way this thing is gonna sell like crazy.
  • Reply 92 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by city View Post

If the thickness of the screen side of the notebook is reversed so that it is thin on the bottom and fatter on top it would close into a very thin rectangle (not a teardrop) shaped device. There would also be space for the camera.

It would also allow for the screen to be rotated 360 degrees to form a tablet....
  • Reply 93 of 116
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SirROM View Post

It would also allow for the screen to be rotated 360 degrees to form a tablet....

Are you sure? Not that I believe any of it yet, but if it were a convertible Mac laptop I will probably buy the MacBook Pro version. Only if they make a Pro version that is. Maybe they would get the pro version by WWDC if not today if it is true.
  • Reply 94 of 116
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,565member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

Are you sure? Not that I believe any of it yet, but if it were a convertible Mac laptop I will probably buy the MacBook Pro version. Only if they make a Pro version that is. Maybe they would get the pro version by WWDC if not today if it is true.

Last minute guessing, guessing, guessing.

We should have no more than about 95 more minutes until we know for sure.
  • Reply 95 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vox Barbara View Post

First thing I noticed too.

Second, how can a 13" piece carry the name "sub" in it? Seriously.

If at all Apple has to go 10". 12" at least. IMHO.

Who says Apple consider this a traditional sub-notebook? Only we, the speculating few, are expecting an Apple sub-notebook.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gar View Post

I am curious why it runs Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger instead of Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard?

First image of a desktop that came to the hands of the guy doing the mockup?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pdoisy View Post

What about naming it MacBook Aero? (MacBook Air seems very very low to me)

Don't worry. Remember the AppleTV was being rumoured as "TubePort" right before the day.

I'm sure Apple use a handful of faux names so they know which employees to fire when the story gets disclosed early.
  • Reply 96 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HyteProsector View Post

Thats what everyone said about the Razr when it came out. I sat on that thing in my back pocket for 6 months and never had an issue. Everyone also thought the iPhone was gonna be super delicate. Thin can be strong. I'm convinced.

This can be strong when the surface cross sectional area where the distributed force load is applied is small.

You list two phones. Their surface area on the face is small. Load is easily distributed to the edges and flex is minimized which results in negligible fracturing.

It's more costly to attempt as the surface area increases.
  • Reply 97 of 116
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,565member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

This can be strong when the surface cross sectional area where the distributed force load is applied is small.

You list two phones. Their surface area on the face is small. Load is easily distributed to the edges and flex is minimized which results in negligible fracturing.

It's more costly to attempt as the surface area increases.

The problem is, that's a valid criticism.

Away with you!
  • Reply 98 of 116
    aiolosaiolos Posts: 228member
    Well, it was true! There is a Macbook Air
  • Reply 99 of 116
    They made it with just enough slope to give it a style and not to induce the surface friction from being important in the equation of resistance.
  • Reply 100 of 116
    Now everyone can shut up about this market segment. I'd never buy one. It's too damn thin for my tastes. Great for another niche market and chicks.

No FW800 connection for SuperDrive or other devices. USB 2.0. Intel clearly won that part of the negotiation.

Definitely designed to satisfy those who think 5lbs is heavy.

Someone will talk about the 802.11n to connect to a slaved DVD-DL drive to burn over the wire.

It's geared for the Avon friendly and IT I can't be bothered with 2 extra pounds crowd and people who just think an anorexic laptop is sexy. [j/k. maybe.]