Wired claims, corroborates last-minute "MacBook Air" details

Comments

• Reply 61 of 116
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Sorry. But, nope. The thinner it is, the more expensive it is.

Very true. If it's anywhere even near as thin as its rumored to be, it'll be far from cheap. \

• Reply 62 of 116
    What about naming it MacBook Aero? (MacBook Air seems very very low to me)
  • Reply 63 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pdoisy View Post

Isn't 'Aero' the GUI in Windows Vista?

If so, I don't think Apple would want to touch that word with a ten-foot pole.

• Reply 64 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pdoisy View Post

Oi, that was a bad one.

Back to the bootcamp with you.
  • Reply 65 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogzilla View Post

Read the bloody article! It SAYS they are mockups based on what they heard. Probably quick ones too.

Bingo.

• Reply 66 of 116
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    that is so thin it makes my dvd disc look like rosie o'donnell
  • Reply 67 of 116
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

Bingo.

In this case the mockup should at least be something like an actual product, that mockup is way way way too thin.
  • Reply 68 of 116
    Hello,

I have been involved in the areas of language and sub-language (the meaning of a message can be suggested). Si, if advertising is a scientific process, be aware that easing is an art.

Now; look closely to the teaser on Apple Inc website. First, they used a thiner font on its banners. Then, if you pay a close look at the Apple logo on the same teaser, you'll notice the design of its edges. It is just as if it was a very thin apple.

My professional opinion : the truth is beforte our eyes : it's gonna be an ultra thin notebook.

Have a nice day,

Wang PI
  • Reply 69 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

In this case the mockup should at least be something like an actual product, that mockup is way way way too thin.

And yet we just don't know for sure. T-minus six hours and counting (yep, I'm Pacific time).

• Reply 70 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robert Jacobs View Post

Hmm, Nice concept. I'd need some sort of external monitor support for use with a projector.

Maybe the unknown slot is for it to fit into the laptop dock/screen from the recent patent, with drives in it for back-ups and main data hoard.
  • Reply 71 of 116
    @ Wang Pl:

Interesting take. I came to similar conclusions in my mind too.

@ Kevinneal:

Of course 802.11n wont come near Gigabit ethernet, but for 100Mbit ethernet, it should be ok? USB2 theoretical max bandwidth is 480Mbit, so even accounting for 80% loss, thats still a comparable 96Mbit/s? Moreover, I think its teh practicality of some location only having ethernet ports for internet access a la public libraries, or client offices.

@ pdoisy:

Definitely wont accept any association with Vista's "Aero". Not least because of a backlash of "Look at how Apple copies Microsoft!" remarks.

Anyone else think that with the newly updated Mac Pros and Leopard's "Back to my Mac" feature, Apple would be targeting this "MacBook Air" as a remote client to do light work away from the office or home, but still have capability to remotely access your desktop mac? Also with the iPhone and iPod Touch proving that you can do Wireless iTunes downloads.... and if the rumours of movie rentals also being available soon, then the MacBook Air could use wireless as the medium for watching movies, rather than rely on DVDs. Installations are already mostly done via downloads. As for software that must be installed via DVD, I've also read on iCreate magazine that its possible to map another Mac's optical drive as the installation source for another Mac. If nothing else, Apple would likely sell a portable DVD-RW drive as an accessory too. The only problem to be concerned with is the size of the flash disk, and the battery life. Hope that its at least 5-6hrs, but probably 4 is a more realistic target....

Interesting to see these jigsaw pieces fall into place....
  • Reply 72 of 116
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Banalltv View Post

Maybe the unknown slot is for it to fit into the laptop dock/screen from the recent patent.

Or perhaps you poke an iPhone into the slot!

</sarcasm>

C.
  • Reply 73 of 116
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

Or perhaps you poke an iPhone into the slot!

</sarcasm>

C.

Close...holds the new ultrathin remote...
  • Reply 74 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by echosonic View Post

its a FAKE FAKE FAKE.

In the side view the keys are raised. In the frontal view they are flush with the casing.

Two different images.

Not real.

At best its a guesstimate of what the real thing will be.

Er... yes, it's a 'fake'. It says that on the article, just below the image.

• Reply 75 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Banalltv View Post

Maybe the unknown slot is for it to fit into the laptop dock/screen from the recent patent, with drives in it for back-ups and main data hoard.

Thats what I'm thinking too. It'll double up as a MagSafe charger, but obviously if you have the docking station, then you charge from that and have the MagSafe plugged into the dock instead. The recent patent for an iMac-like shell helps support this theory, as the unknown port is on one side of the laptop, faciliating a slide-in mechanism!

Gosh, the braincells are firing on all cylinders with speculation!!!! How will I be able to sleep tonight?!?!?
  • Reply 76 of 116
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Sorry. But, nope. The thinner it is, the more expensive it is.

As described and pictured in the mockup, I'd expect it to be placed and priced at the bottom end of the MacBook Pro line. It'll probably have to have some kind of OS in flash RAM and microdrive for main storage setup.

Anyhow, I'm fairly certain Apple will announce something like this today, maybe not quite as sleek as the mockup, but close. Unfortunately, I find the whole concept underwhelming. Take out enough features, and you can make a thin laptop. I may not use all of the ports/optical drive on my PowerBook all of the time, but I do use every one of them individually some of the time. Fortunately for Apple, selling less for more = more profit.
  • Reply 77 of 116
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdotcheung View Post

Thats what I'm thinking too. It'll double up as a MagSafe charger, but obviously if you have the docking station, then you charge from that and have the MagSafe plugged into the dock instead. The recent patent for an iMac-like shell helps support this theory, as the unknown port is on one side of the laptop, faciliating a slide-in mechanism!

Gosh, the braincells are firing on all cylinders with speculation!!!! How will I be able to sleep tonight?!?!?

You can do a pretty decent dock with an expresscard slot and it doubles as...an expresscard slot. Not having an expresscard slot in a notebook like this is a mistake IMHO because whatever you might think is missing from a notebook this thin can be fixed by popping in the card you need.

firewire

ethernet

eSata

video (expensive but available)

dock

Expresscard slots come with 1xUSB and 1xPCIe (single lane) in the interface
  • Reply 78 of 116
    UNDER $1600?

UNDER 13"?(fingers crossed)

....and I'll be a happy, proud owner of the new Macbook Air, AirMacbook, MacbookJordan or whatever they plan on calling the darn thing
  • Reply 79 of 116
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmjoe View Post

It'll probably have to have some kind of OS

Ya, that would make sense...

sorry couldn't help myself
  • Reply 80 of 116
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    If they have really got it that thin, it will be downright embarrassing for the competition. But it's hard to imagine how it's possible. They must be using an iPod sized HD or else a Flash HD.