First Look: Apple TV 2.0 and iTunes Movie Rentals (photos, video)

167891012»

Comments

• Reply 221 of 232
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

Good point. What was the video you rented with that higher resolution?

BTW, can the newer iPods (the ones capable of viewing rentals) display higher-resolution videos than older ones?

The Lives of Others (2006)

I would think that the bitrate is more important that the resolution. The video limitations that Apple imposes are artificial so they could move them if need be. I have absolutely no clue how much it could be increased before it can't handle the load but it may be a "weakest link" situation as the obviously less powered iPod Nano has the same video capabilities as the faster powered Classics, Touches, and iPhones on the Tech Specs.
  • Reply 222 of 232
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Great movie, by the way.

On another issue, I tried continuing to watch the movie I rented after its expiration time, and it was fine. As long as you keep it playing, it won't quit on you. Pause it or close it, and it's done. That's nice, especially for people who were complaining that if they wanted to continue watching it the next night, they couldn't because time would run out.

I suppose each time it's about to get to the end you could slide it back to the beginning, and keep watching it forever.
  • Reply 223 of 232
    Quote:

Great movie, by the way.

On another issue, I tried continuing to watch the movie I rented after its expiration time, and it was fine. As long as you keep it playing, it won't quit on you. Pause it or close it, and it's done. That's nice, especially for people who were complaining that if they wanted to continue watching it the next night, they couldn't because time would run out.

I suppose each time it's about to get to the end you could slide it back to the beginning, and keep watching it forever.

I was under the impression you could pause it, too, but as soon as you access something else in your library it goes away. Maybe that was AppleTV rentals only.
  • Reply 224 of 232
    Quote:

I was under the impression you could pause it, too, but as soon as you access something else in your library it goes away. Maybe that was AppleTV rentals only.

This is how it worked for me: As long as it was playing after the time expired, it was fine. Try to pause it, and it comes up with a box asking if you want to remove the movie or resume playing.
  • Reply 225 of 232
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

I would think that the bitrate is more important that the resolution. The video limitations that Apple imposes are artificial so they could move them if need be. I have absolutely no clue how much it could be increased before it can't handle the load but it may be a "weakest link" situation as the obviously less powered iPod Nano has the same video capabilities as the faster powered Classics, Touches, and iPhones on the Tech Specs.

I'm not sure if artificial is the best way to describe it. It's likely tat the hardware decoding can only go that high, and the video can only move that much through.

Don't forget that H.264 requires a lot of cpu time. Some older Mac's couldn't handle it.
  • Reply 226 of 232
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I'm not sure if artificial is the best way to describe it. It's likely tat the hardware decoding can only go that high, and the video can only move that much through.

Don't forget that H.264 requires a lot of cpu time. Some older Mac's couldn't handle it.

Certainly the iPod Nano is at or near the limit but the other iDevices having faster CPUs and more RAM could handle higher quality video, but they all have the same stated capabilities. Is 640x480 @ 1.5Mbps truly the maximum or could it potentially handle some oddball 682x512 @ 1.72Mbps? And sense iTunes won't even push higher quality videos to iDevices wouldn't that make it an artificial limitation, even though it's based on very real physical limitation of the weakest device.
  • Reply 227 of 232
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Certainly the iPod Nano is at or near the limit but the other iDevices having faster CPUs and more RAM could handle higher quality video, but they all have the same stated capabilities. Is 640x480 @ 1.5Mbps truly the maximum or could it potentially handle some oddball 682x512 @ 1.72Mbps? And sense iTunes won't even push higher quality videos to iDevices wouldn't that make it an artificial limitation, even though it's based on very real physical limitation of the weakest device.

I would be definitive about it. We don't really know.

Apple did say that the current generation could take part, but none of the older ones could. I don't know the specs of the actual device, only what Apple states as the max. Whether that max is the same for all of them would just be a guess.

It's possible, since the higher rez screens of the iPod/iTouch could tax the video and decoder enough to make up for the slower hardware in the Classic, if indeed that were the case.
  • Reply 228 of 232
    I just rented a new film. One that was not available before the keynote and one that has more action and detail that the previous film I rented that was at better-than-DVD quality.

film: 300

year: 2007

bitrate: 1679

resolution: 853x356

That blows my 1.5Mbps theory away.
  • Reply 229 of 232
    Even the current version of ATV is great, I love it! I have the 160gb and connect it to the HD input of my Slingbox Pro and can remotely access everything on it (all my songs, tv shows, ripped movies, podcasts, movie trailers, etc.), all in high def to any Slingplayer I open on any of my Macs!

I also can Sling the Apple TV contents to my Sprint Treo 700p phone via speedy EVDO--way cool! Can't wait for the new ATV software update, it'll be great to directly subscribe to podcasts and acccess content without having to sync and keep copies on my Mac!
  • Reply 230 of 232
    Quote:

I just rented a new film. One that was not available before the keynote and one that has more action and detail that the previous film I rented that was at better-than-DVD quality.

film: 300

year: 2007

bitrate: 1679

resolution: 853x356

That blows my 1.5Mbps theory away.

Fascinating, and good news. I wonder why they don't play this up a bit more. Do you have an iPod that you could try it on?
  • Reply 231 of 232
    Quote:

Fascinating, and good news. I wonder why they don't play this up a bit more. Do you have an iPod that you could try it on?

It worked fine on my iPhone.
  • Reply 232 of 232
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    I almost positive one of the GeekBrief.TV episodes I outputted from my iPod classic to my HDTV was 960 x 540.