First Look: Apple TV 2.0 and iTunes Movie Rentals (photos, video)

Comments

• Reply 161 of 232
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

It looks like you'll be able to do that, but if the intention is to watch them on your TV, it makes more sense to rent directly via AppleTV because the quality will be higher - the standard def is higher, not to mention HD.

The keynote implied that at least all movie rentals will be DVD quality. The only current rental I have is 853x405. That is better than DVD quality, is it not?

I don't see iTunes having "near-DVD" quality content and DVD quality content when they are so close in resolution. Wouldn't it make more sense to keep only two files for each movie: DVD quality and HD quality?
  • Reply 162 of 232
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The keynote implied that at least all movie rentals will be DVD quality. The only current rental I have is 853x405. That is better than DVD quality, is it not?

I don't see iTunes having "near-DVD" quality content and DVD quality content when they are so close in resolution. Wouldn't it make more sense to keep only two files for each movie: DVD quality and HD quality?

Anything greater than 720 x 480, but less than 1024 x 720 is considered to be "enhanced".
  • Reply 163 of 232
    Quote:

Check out the following website:

http://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/AnamorphicGuide

Interesting since I thought all the movies for iphones/ipods were maxed at horizontal resolution of 640...The extra resolution is nice, although a boost in bitrate would probably make a more noticeable impact.
  • Reply 164 of 232
    Quote:

It looks like you'll be able to do that, but if the intention is to watch them on your TV, it makes more sense to rent directly via AppleTV because the quality will be higher - the standard def is higher, not to mention HD.

Except like this weekend, I wanted a movie for the train, and want to finish it on my TV. It sounds like the resolution for itunes has been bumped (or is at least stored anamorphic, and then streched horizontally).
  • Reply 165 of 232
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PatsFan83 View Post

Check out the following website:

http://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/AnamorphicGuide

Interesting since I thought all the movies for iphones/ipods were maxed at horizontal resolution of 640...The extra resolution is nice, although a boost in bitrate would probably make a more noticeable impact.

Like you said, both the iPhone and iPods still state that the max resolution is 640x480 @ 1.5MBps, but the movie does transfer and play on my iPhone. Either the Tech Specs listed the previous quality iTunes video quality as the peak even though it could support higher quality in both the HW and SW, or the new update for the iPhone, released that same day, moved the capabilities in SW higher. Did the current iPods (besides the Touch) get an update, too?

I do wonder how this will affect the longevity of the device. For example, if I could get 4 hours of video from 640x480 on the iPhone can I now only get 3.8 hours from the odd 853x405 resolution video as it will tax the CPU more. Not just from the higher size but the odd sizing too.
  • Reply 166 of 232
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Interesting. My impression was that there would now be three different resolutions:

1. Near-DVD quality, at 640X480 maximum. The standard that Apple has been using.

2. DVD-quality, at 720X480 maximum. This is the new standard definition for AppleTV rentals.

3. HD.

But if you got 853X405, then you're probably right and standard definition really is going to be the same on iTunes and AppleTV. And you're right that it does make a lot more sense to have two types of movies (HD and DVD) rather than three.

Now I'm wondering about the videos already on the store. Is it just the rentals that are using this new format, or are they going to release everything like this, like they did with the jump from 320 to 640.
  • Reply 167 of 232
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Except like this weekend, I wanted a movie for the train, and want to finish it on my TV. It sounds like the resolution for itunes has been bumped (or is at least stored anamorphic, and then streched horizontally).

Yeah, it looks like that's right.

But now that raises a question: Why does Apple say you can't move even SD rentals from AppleTV to your computer?
  • Reply 168 of 232
    Quote:

Now I'm wondering about the videos already on the store. Is it just the rentals that are using this new format, or are they going to release everything like this, like they did with the jump from 320 to 640.

Me too, but I'm too cheap to buy and rent a movie that was there before Tuesday's announcement and to also buy and rent a movie that appeared after Tuesday's announcement just to see if there are any differences between the encoding.

I doubt it but I'll rhetorically ask anyway: Will new music videos and TV shows be staying at 640x480? If they are new ones are changing, how about the old one too?
  • Reply 169 of 232
    Quote:

Me too, but I'm too cheap to buy and rent a movie that was there before Tuesday's announcement and to also buy and rent a movie that appeared after Tuesday's announcement just to see if there are any differences between the encoding.

I doubt it but I'll rhetorically ask anyway: Will new music videos and TV shows be staying at 640x480? If they are new ones are changing, how about the old one too?

I would guess that Tv shows would be staying at 640- 480.

Movies?

He didn't actually make that clear at the keynote.

I should have measured the movie I rented before I changed it to full width.. I didn't think of that. The next time, I'll do it.
  • Reply 170 of 232
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I should have measured the movie I rented before I changed it to full width.. I didn't think of that. The next time, I'll do it.

Just right click on the rental and choose Get Info. It will tell you the resolution.
  • Reply 171 of 232
    Quote:

Just right click on the rental and choose Get Info. It will tell you the resolution.

Ah, I didn't look.

So why all the questions then? We can see for ourselves.
  • Reply 172 of 232
    Quote:

So why all the questions then? We can see for ourselves.

I can only answer questions about what I have rented, which has shown that iTunes rentals will provide better quality than before, and better than DVD quality if I understand it correctly. Though it's not quite enough empirical evidence to answer all questions about how Apple is handling all the various possibilities.
    — DVD Quality = 720x480 = 345,600px

— "The Lives of Others" = 853x405 = 345,465px
    So it's less visual pixels than DVD at a 4:3 ratio but pretty damn close.
  • Reply 173 of 232
    I tried syncing some movies I ripped from Handbrake that were similar resolution to the itunes rental (853x405) to my iphone, but it wouldn't sync over. Not sure how it differentiates between the two types of resolutions.

When the rental is opened in quicktime player, it lists this as the resolution:

AAC (protected), Stereo (L R), 44.100 kHz

AVC0 Media, 640 x 356 (853 x 356), Millions

I believe it is stored as 640, but should be played back stretched to 853.
  • Reply 174 of 232
  • Reply 175 of 232
    Quote:

I tried syncing some movies I ripped from Handbrake that were similar resolution to the itunes rental (853x405) to my iphone, but it wouldn't sync over. Not sure how it differentiates between the two types of resolutions.

When the rental is opened in quicktime player, it lists this as the resolution:

AAC (protected), Stereo (L R), 44.100 kHz

AVC0 Media, 640 x 356 (853 x 356), Millions

I believe it is stored as 640, but should be played back stretched to 853.

But what is the Mbps? I think 1.5Mbps is still the maximum.
  • Reply 176 of 232
    Quote:

I can only answer questions about what I have rented, which has shown that iTunes rentals will provide better quality than before, and better than DVD quality if I understand it correctly.. Though not quite enough empirical evidence to answer all questions about how Apple is handling all the various possibilities.
    — DVD Quality = 720x480 = 345,600px

— "The Lives of Others" = 853x405 = 345,465px
    So it's less visual pixels than DVD at a 4:3 ratio but pretty damn close.

That's true, but if it were on DVD, then it would be about 720 x 340, so it would be more than DVD quality. Unless you got scan and pan.
  • Reply 177 of 232
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

That's true, but if it were on DVD, then it would be about 720 x 340, so it would be more than DVD quality. Unless you got scan and pan.

Your figures don't seem to account for the different stretching that is usually done for widescreen DVDs. A 'scope movie like that would be fill an area of about 720 x 363.

*edit* nevermind for now, maybe I'm getting my math wrong somewhere. I think you might have accounted for it, but I was going from IMDb's 2.35:1 aspect ratio, the stated ratio from the iTunes download is 2.1:1, which seems to account for the difference.
  • Reply 178 of 232
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

.....the AppleTV would play video_ts files. I would buy one in a heart beat!

I used Visual Hub to convert a video_ts to 'Apple TV' format, and directly compared the two. The resolution is *identical*, and the Apple TV version actually looks a bit nicer because the saturation appears to be boosted a bit. Now Apple TV supports Dolby Digital, the only difference between a video_ts and an Apple TV version is the lack of DVD extras, and the fact the Apple TV version is about 1/3 the file size.
  • Reply 179 of 232
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Resolution isn't the only consideration either.

All DVDs use interlaced video and there isn't a great way to quantitatively compare that to a non-interlaced video mastered from film. Some people are very susceptible to interlacing artifacts while others will never be able to tell the difference.

There are also the issues of color space and frame rate. It would be interesting to know how apple is producing these files. I doubt an actual DVD is anywhere in the production chain. Or at least I hope not.

I've often wondered the same about iTunes. Audio CDs are much lower fidelity than the original production. It is possible that Apple has been ripping from the original, highest-def source, rather than re-down-sampling from the already down-sampled consumer release.

What I'm getting at is, I suspect that the Apple's rips (should) look and sound better than is possible when ripping from DVDs or CDs.
  • Reply 180 of 232
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

I've often wondered the same about iTunes. Audio CDs are much lower fidelity than the original production. It is possible that Apple has been ripping from the original, highest-def source, rather than re-down-sampling from the already down-sampled consumer release.

Does that still make a difference when the AAC quality is still well below that of a CD?