First Look: Apple's new MacBook Air (with photos and video)

14567810»

Comments

• Reply 181 of 186
    everything aside.. how many of you have pre-ordered it???
  • Reply 182 of 186
    I have.
  • Reply 183 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NewMacConvert View Post

I see the MacBook Air as a natural fit for college students and college life: Most colleges nowadays are complete wireless environments from dorms to the middle of campus wifi networks typically blanket campuses, many colleges offer their students remote storage on servers so that papers, powerpoints and the like can be accessed anywhere from your profile, and college kids love anything that would lighten their load as carrying a full 5+ lbs laptop around is a pain sometimes (trust me).

So, a wireless environment+remote storage+small form factor = good for college kids.

I completely agree here. I'm a freshman at Baylor and I pre-ordered mine the Tuesday it came out. Right now I have an HP Pavilion dv9000, 17" screen, feels close to 10 lbs, and has just over an hour of battery life, which means I take it to one class and it's dead. The Air is perfect for people like me who don't need an optical drive or 34756 ports while taking notes in class.

I realize this computer isn't for some people, hell it isn't for most people, but that doesn't mean it's not the perfect computer for a market segment that you don't happen to be in.

"Oh and" the wow factor of pulling one of these out in class will be well worth it in my opinion
  • Reply 184 of 186
    I ordered two as gifts (both with the SSD): one for my niece who's going to med school in the fall, and one for the producer of my last film. Perfect for both of them for different reasons.
  • Reply 185 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mzaslove View Post

I ordered two as gifts (both with the SSD): one for my niece who's going to med school in the fall, and one for the producer of my last film. Perfect for both of them for different reasons.

Can I be your adopted son?
  • Reply 186 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Can I be your adopted son?

Apple merch makes the best gifts. I gave a bunch of iPhones (with all phone bills paid for two years) away for Xmas -- everyone loved them. iPod Nanos for the kids were good stocking stuffers, too. The MBA's are really quite wonderful for all sorts of people, and like luxury and exotic cars, they go above and beyond the purely utilitarian.

I need my MBP for awhile longer, but I'm thinking of taking a half year off to finish a couple novels and bum around the world (drift wherever the sunrise takes me, or whatever plane I jump on) after finishing a couple films, and at that point an MBA will be perfect (along with a Time Capsule thrown into my luggage to do backups from my room and keep my music on -- 360 gigs and still inputting my CD's).