Apple Entering The Television Market?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 62
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

Holy triple negative Batman!

Sorry, mad bad. I cannot believe he doesn't think Apple's going to make a TV
  • Reply 22 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gugy View Post

See Ireland,

It's not only me. Many people here know what you are all about.

You were so certain that Steve would add a DVD player on AppleTV. You started a thread, you attacked me so many times, etc.

here to refresh your memory:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=76727

Sorry brother, I don't think is happening, and if even becomes reality down the road, I am man enough to accept it and say that I am wrong. I guess the same cannot be said about you.

Now that you pulled up the thread I hope you care to read it - accurately.

Quote:

Gugy thinks putting a slot-loading DVD drive in an Apple TV doesn't make sense for Apple because it would compete with their whole downloading movies over the internet through iTunes strategy.

I disagree though, here's why:

I said it makes sense too add the DVD slot, not that I think Steve Jobs knows that. Or has the sense to add it. I still think makes sense, that hasn't changed.

I never said:

Quote:

Apple's definitely going to do it, it's certain.

Why would I do that when I know how stubborn Steve is, and how he likes to selectively listen to the right feedback. I just said it makes sense and it would be a good idea. A damn good one.

Get your facts right dude.
  • Reply 23 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jowie74 View Post

In the article Ireland asks if it would make sense to include a DVD player, not that they would definitely be putting one in. Sorry Gugy, you've just proved yourself incorrect.

I'm sorry, but thems facts speak for themselves.

The truth will out. Thanks Jowie!
  • Reply 24 of 62
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Now that you pulled up the thread I hope you care to read it - accurately.

Yah, it reminds me how annoying you were about that whole thing making a bunch of different threads.
  • Reply 25 of 62
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    OK,

You said is going to happen, it makes sense to happen, etc. I said the opposite.

Like Vinea mentioned you create bunch of threads and maybe hundreds of posts about the subject.

You can play with the words. that's cool. AppleTV doesn't have a DVD on it now after the update. Until the opposite happens I'll keep my instance. Same applies for you beloved Apple HDTV set. Time will tell who is right. At this point it is in my favor. Let's see if that holds true in the next years to come.

Cheers
  • Reply 26 of 62
    Quote:

OK,

You said is going to happen, it makes sense to happen, etc. I said the opposite.

Like Vinea mentioned you create bunch of threads and maybe hundreds of posts about the subject.

You can play with the words.

I'm not playing with anything. You said I said Apple was going to to do, but I didn't. I merely said it was a good idea, and still is. End of.
  • Reply 27 of 62
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    I honestly don't see this. For Apple to make something recognizable as a TV it would have to support HDCP and all the DRM associated with high-def because people expect to be able to plug DVD players into televisions. Given the tiny size and relatively low price of the AppleTV I'm not sure why anyone would buy in.

Now, if they think different and release iMacs with built-in AppleTV capabilities whose monitors are dense enough, thanks to support for resolution independence, to support 1080p even at 19" or 20", then you have a hit with people in living circumstances that a conventional HDTV would completely dominate (dorms, lofts, etc.). Add wireless speakers in the model of Eos Wireless or Klipsch RoomGroove, but with the ability to assign or otherwise determine which speaker gets which channel (with the iMac taking either front left and front right or center) and you have a great alternative to home theater that doesn't involve running wires everywhere, hiding lots of components and installing a huge black beast that takes over the whole room that it's in.

And voilÃ*, Apple has successfully put the computer in the living room.
  • Reply 28 of 62
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I merely said it was a good idea, and still is. End of.

Cool, let's wait a see. End of the story!
  • Reply 29 of 62
    Quote:

Cool, let's wait a see. End of the story!

Indeediedoo.
  • Reply 30 of 62
    jowie74jowie74 Posts: 540member
    What I'm personally really after, is an update to Front Row so we can get all the movie rental etc stuff on a normal Mac... If that happened I'd definitely be buying a Mac Mini because it'd do all the stuff a normal computer can do, plus be an tv too.
  • Reply 31 of 62
    No never. Apple doesn't care about LCD TVs and such. There's not money in it, and the whole industry is wacked. I'll bet 10,000 with anyone who thinks apple is coming out with LCD tvs.. It is not happening.

Apple has made their intentions with TV very clear..

It you need TV you can always go back and Get Mac TV they made in the 90s
  • Reply 32 of 62
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:

See Ireland,

It's not only me. Many people here know what you are all about.

You were so certain that Steve would add a DVD player on AppleTV. You started a thread, you attacked me so many times, etc.

here to refresh your memory:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=76727

Sorry brother, I don't think is happening, and if even becomes reality down the road, I am man enough to accept it and say that I am wrong. I guess the same cannot be said about you.

But gugy it doesn't even matter if he said that because is no new appleTV. It's the old one with updated software.

If they actually introed a new appleTV (new design, new hardware specs, something) then you might be onto something. But apple has not made a new appleTV yet.
  • Reply 33 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amorph View Post

I honestly don't see this. For Apple to make something recognizable as a TV it would have to support HDCP and all the DRM associated with high-def because people expect to be able to plug DVD players into televisions. Given the tiny size and relatively low price of the AppleTV I'm not sure why anyone would buy in.

Now, if they think different and release iMacs with built-in AppleTV capabilities whose monitors are dense enough, thanks to support for resolution independence, to support 1080p even at 19" or 20", then you have a hit with people in living circumstances that a conventional HDTV would completely dominate (dorms, lofts, etc.). Add wireless speakers in the model of Eos Wireless or Klipsch RoomGroove, but with the ability to assign or otherwise determine which speaker gets which channel (with the iMac taking either front left and front right or center) and you have a great alternative to home theater that doesn't involve running wires everywhere, hiding lots of components and installing a huge black beast that takes over the whole room that it's in.

And voilÃ*, Apple has successfully put the computer in the living room.

I'm sorry to tell you this Amorph, but this already exists in the current iMac. All macs have front row (basically appletv), itunes (appletv's rentals, music, movies) and the 24" model is 1900x1200.

Aside from the wireless speaker assignment you can do all of that and more, which is why half the time you have people saying "f* appletv, just connect a mac mini."

I know plenty of people who do exactly what you're talking about right now.

I myself do that with a mac mini I've got connected to my tv, the only reason I'm getting an appleTV is because I want to use the mac mini in another room right now.
  • Reply 34 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking View Post

I'm sorry to tell you this Amorph, but this already exists in the current iMac. All macs have front row (basically appletv), itunes (appletv's rentals, music, movies) and the 24" model is 1900x1200.

Aside from the wireless speaker assignment you can do all of that and more, which is why half the time you have people saying "f* appletv, just connect a mac mini."

I know plenty of people who do exactly what you're talking about right now.

I myself do that with a mac mini I've got connected to my tv, the only reason I'm getting an appleTV is because I want to use the mac mini in another room right now.

If you're going to apply this logic, then you can pretty much say any technology that is an innovative combination of hardware/software is 'already out.' The hardware to do incredibly complex things is constantly all around us, yet the majority of the people out there dont have the technical expertise to be able to manipulate and program that hardware to do what they want.

Companies like Apple are famous for taking existing technology, repackaging it with an innovative, intuitive UI, and reselling it because it is suddenly user-friendly. Thats where Apple really shines, and I mean that with only the highest compliments and respect. Its pretty amazing.

Yes, I know I'm not talking about rocket science and its just software and plug and play hardware you're referring to, but the majority of consumers out there dont get creative or adventurous with their systems. Most people think that 'customizing your computer' means changing a screen saver or wallpaper, or if you're really crazy, maybe some fonts.

Just keep in mind what kind of company Apple really is, and the level of quality and innovation they bring to the table. Then also keep in mind what the average consumer is. No, that doesn't mean you or me, but the average joe blow who just thinks its cool to have a mac, but they only use it for mail and safari, and MAYBE iPhoto. maybe.
  • Reply 35 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cperdue View Post

If you're going to apply this logic, then you can pretty much say any technology that is an innovative combination of hardware/software is 'already out.' The hardware to do incredibly complex things is constantly all around us, yet the majority of the people out there dont have the technical expertise to be able to manipulate and program that hardware to do what they want.

Companies like Apple are famous for taking existing technology, repackaging it with an innovative, intuitive UI, and reselling it because it is suddenly user-friendly. Thats where Apple really shines, and I mean that with only the highest compliments and respect. Its pretty amazing.

Yes, I know I'm not talking about rocket science and its just software and plug and play hardware you're referring to, but the majority of consumers out there dont get creative or adventurous with their systems. Most people think that 'customizing your computer' means changing a screen saver or wallpaper, or if you're really crazy, maybe some fonts.

Just keep in mind what kind of company Apple really is, and the level of quality and innovation they bring to the table. Then also keep in mind what the average consumer is. No, that doesn't mean you or me, but the average joe blow who just thinks its cool to have a mac, but they only use it for mail and safari, and MAYBE iPhoto. maybe.

I'm sorry but I have no idea what you're talking about. I don't know if you do either. He said they should make the imac so it can work like appletv. I said it already does. Have you used the current OS? Have you used frontrow?

What complication is there, the imac ships with a remote (the same one as the appletv), you press menu and then select, movies, music, pictures, etc. Just like the appleTV.

I've got a buddy that only has a 24" iMac at his place, downloads things with iTunes (just like appleTV users have to do, but they've got to do it on a seperate computer mind you), folds his futon up intro couch form, kicks back presses the remote and uses front row.

I'm not talking about hacks, plugins, work arounds, or any mystery science here. I'm talking about the program that ships with operating system that everyone who bought leopard (and a lot of tiger users) already have.

The new firmware Jobs intro'ed isn't out yet and all it really is is a facelift of the current one, the current one as it stands looks almost exactly like frontrow, and both of them function the same except for rentals but frontrow will probably get an update for that soon.

Why is an iMac more difficult then an appleTV?
  • Reply 36 of 62
    Quote:

I'm sorry but I have no idea what you're talking about. I don't know if you do either. He said they should make the imac so it can work like appletv. I said it already does. Have you used the current OS? Have you used frontrow?

What complication is there, the imac ships with a remote (the same one as the appletv), you press menu and then select, movies, music, pictures, etc. Just like the appleTV.

I've got a buddy that only has a 24" iMac at his place, downloads things with iTunes (just like appleTV users have to do, but they've got to do it on a seperate computer mind you), folds his futon up intro couch form, kicks back presses the remote and uses front row.

I'm not talking about hacks, plugins, work arounds, or any mystery science here. I'm talking about the program that ships with operating system that everyone who bought leopard (and a lot of tiger users) already have.

The new firmware Jobs intro'ed isn't out yet and all it really is is a facelift of the current one, the current one as it stands looks almost exactly like frontrow, and both of them function the same except for rentals but frontrow will probably get an update for that soon.

Why is an iMac more difficult then an appleTV?

You're absolutely correct, I havent played with that yet, so I was speaking blindly from assumptions I had perceived from your previous posts. I'll certainly give you that. But the fact still remains that even though it has this amazingly simple, easy to use feature, its not fully marketed for those capabilities, and therefore the windows-savvy consumers out there dont have a reason to ever even know about it.

A stand-alone, AppleTV integrated mediacenter that had widget functionality, 1080p + HDMI + hidef audio, a DVD player, and even sync'd with your iPods/iPhones would be a great product to attract those windows users. And if it was a full fledged computer built in, like a large, HD iMac, then that would just encourage people to make the switch over. If anything its just more brand recognition in the home for Apple, saturating every facet of people's lives.

This product wouldnt be marketed as a stand-alone money maker for Apple, but as a final reason for people to 'make the switch,' targeting those average joes who are too lazy to leave windows, and need a reason other than the OS.
  • Reply 37 of 62
    Agree. The TV market doesn't need fixing like the cell phone market does (or did). My Sony TV looks great and does the job well and looks good doing it. If I want a better interface, there's always the AppleTV.

Besides, if they came out with a TV, what would they call it? AppleTV is already taken. It would get confusing.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by inkhead View Post

No never. Apple doesn't care about LCD TVs and such. There's not money in it, and the whole industry is wacked. I'll bet 10,000 with anyone who thinks apple is coming out with LCD tvs.. It is not happening.

Apple has made their intentions with TV very clear..

It you need TV you can always go back and Get Mac TV they made in the 90s

• Reply 38 of 62
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

It's very close, which is why I think the iMac is a better candidate than a dedicated TV. But Front Row is not the AppleTV Take Two. There are some small but important differences in terms of output ports and software. What I'm saying is, take the software of AppleTV--all of it--and have it integrate with iTunes and DVD Player in the background, but otherwise function precisely as if you were using an AppleTV. Not approximately. Not similarly. Identically. Movie rentals and all.
  • Reply 39 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daffy_Duck View Post

Agree. The TV market doesn't need fixing like the cell phone market does (or did). My Sony TV looks great and does the job well and looks good doing it. If I want a better interface, there's always the AppleTV.

How many remotes to you have? Not including any universal one you may have.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daffy_Duck

Besides, if they came out with a TV, what would they call it? AppleTV is already taken. It would get confusing.

Apple television.
  • Reply 40 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amorph View Post

It's very close, which is why I think the iMac is a better candidate than a dedicated TV. But Front Row is not the AppleTV Take Two. There are some small but important differences in terms of output ports and software. What I'm saying is, take the software of AppleTV--all of it--and have it integrate with iTunes and DVD Player in the background, but otherwise function precisely as if you were using an AppleTV. Not approximately. Not similarly. Identically. Movie rentals and all.

But for all we know apple could be working on doing that in a future update of OSX. They probably haven't anounced it yet because that would step on appleTV's toes.

If you using the imac as an example out ports don't matter because the computer is the screen and the dvd player, the only ones that might matter is the optical audio out(which the imac has) and rca audio(which anyone can do with a mini jack to rca cable, I'm doing it right now with my mac mini).

That makes the only difference the software and OSX and frontrow, just like appleTV is an ever expanding platform. To say that frontrow won't be able to do things that appleTV can't even do now (because the software update isn't out), yet is probably short sighted.