Apple Entering The Television Market?

Comments

• Reply 41 of 62
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

How many remotes to you have? Not including any universal one you may have.

One. Its a "universal" that came with the cable box. Awwwww....you want to define the problem in a way to explicitly remove the most common solution that happens to be given away with many TVs, cable boxes, AVRs, etc. Too bad, so sad.

Oh and yes, if he has the Bravia it comes with a universal remote that works with a lot of things...except the PS3.
  • Reply 42 of 62
    The first of many perhaps. Only time will tell, although they're already predicting that Asustek is "likely to find it hard to achieve success."

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20080129PD216.html

The E-TV will compete in the over 42-inch LCD TV market, but will integrate the Linux-based PC functionality of other Eee PC products. Pricing is to be set to at no greater than US$200 more than TVs in the same class. E-TV is also scheduled to launch in September.
  • Reply 43 of 62
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

One. Its a "universal" that came with the cable box.

So you're the one. I'd bet well over 90% of consumers have about 3 remotes or more. An all in one Apple Tele could have the most simplest remote ever with the user interface on screen as opposed to on remote. And it would likely have the most elegant software a TV has ever being blessed with - accompanied with sweet, beautiful hardware.

Apple could really do something "different" here. Something more powerful, more beautiful and easier to use than any TV before it, and in doing so they would make a killing in this market - and create yet another halo-effect product for themselves.

This together with an iTunes TV show subscription service would rock seven ways from Sunday.

SIGN ME UP!
  • Reply 44 of 62
    jowie74jowie74 Posts: 540member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cperdue View Post

The E-TV will compete in the over 42-inch LCD TV market, but will integrate the Linux-based PC functionality of other Eee PC products. Pricing is to be set to at no greater than US$200 more than TVs in the same class. E-TV is also scheduled to launch in September.

Interesting! If Apple didn't produce a product like this then I'd be interested in this product. I am thinking of entering the HD/flatscreen market in the next year, and if I could get one with a built-in PC then that'd be even better. But the screen would have to be top notch.
  • Reply 45 of 62
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    I like you signature Ireland.

It makes me honored that my opinion matters to you so much or makes you so angry.

• Reply 46 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gugy View Post

I like you signature Ireland.

It makes me honored that my opinion matters to you so much or makes you so angry.

But I'm not angry.

I added that for posterity, but mostly fun.
  • Reply 47 of 62
    I am glad you did.

You just take too seriously what people say here. I can see by the thousands of posts you have in such short time.

Even if in the end I turn out to be wrong(something that I highly doubt, by the way) I will let you have your laugh. Who cares in the end, it is just a forum. Meanwhile, I am the one at your signature every time I see it. I hope you will keep it for long time. Thanks for the promoting me too!

Just to correct:

I said that Apple will not make only a television or have a television with AppleTV built-in, months before 2008, I would think maybe june 2007, if you want to correct your signature, go for it.
  • Reply 48 of 62
    Quote:

I am glad you did.

You just take too seriously what people say here. I can see by the thousands of posts you have in such short time.

Strange reasoning for such a conclusion. That like saying "you donate a lot to that guy, you must want him to be rich?" It's kind of missing the point. Look if the fact that I'm passionate upsets you then I'm sorry but I won't be changing that which what I think defines me. If I have a vision I spill it. I could be doing a heck of a lot worse.
  • Reply 49 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gugy

Even if in the end I turn out to be wrong(something that I highly doubt, by the way) I will let you have your laugh.

I won't actually be laughing. That was merely a mischivious stab at you and you took the bait. Look who's taking things here too seriously now

And for the record that quote I have in my signature, along with the date is accurate and was added just after you posted that in one of your comments.
  • Reply 50 of 62
    I still debate whether Gugy actually ever said that comment, I for one could never find it.

Anyway how's about we ask the moderators to start up a "Gugy vs Ireland" forum, and just let you two at it in there...
  • Reply 51 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I won't actually be laughing. That was merely a mischivious stab at you and you took the bait. Look who's taking things here too seriously now

And for the record that quote I have in my signature, along with the date is accurate and was added just after you posted that in one of your comments.

hehehe,

You are wrong, I said back in June 2007 that Apple will not make a television. You might not remember, but you were even started a a whole discussion about it.

Anyway, that;s not the point.

I love the fact you get all work out and make threads and creates signatures about what I say. Actually it is a compliment, since you have discussions with so many folks here, it makes me feel special!
  • Reply 52 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jowie74 View Post

I still debate whether Gugy actually ever said that comment, I for one could never find it.

Anyway how's about we ask the moderators to start up a "Gugy vs Ireland" forum, and just let you two at it in there...

Please no man,

I have better things to do than that.!
  • Reply 53 of 62
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking View Post

But for all we know apple could be working on doing that in a future update of OSX. They probably haven't anounced it yet because that would step on appleTV's toes.

Exactly.

So which is more likely, a future update of OS X that "puts an AppleTV in your Mac" or a television with a literal AppleTV stuffed into it?

That's actually an interesting question when you consider that the movie industry does not, repeat not, want people to be able to download their content onto a fully capable PC.
  • Reply 54 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amorph View Post

That's actually an interesting question when you consider that the movie industry does not, repeat not, want people to be able to download their content onto a fully capable PC.

But with the latest iTunes with movie downloads, this is already happening. Not only that, but it is then copyable to your iPod. So it's a moot point since they've already agreed to it.
  • Reply 55 of 62
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amorph View Post

Exactly.

So which is more likely, a future update of OS X that "puts an AppleTV in your Mac" or a television with a literal AppleTV stuffed into it?

I think it is much more likely that Apple would put an AppleTV into an iMac or to OEM the AppleTV to a television manufacture then to make their own TV.

Quote:

But with the latest iTunes with movie downloads, this is already happening. Not only that, but it is then copyable to your iPod. So it's a moot point since they've already agreed to it.

No it not already happening. The HD signal is only going to the AppleTV for local viewing. You can not and will not be able to download HD movies to your Mac or PC using iTunes.
  • Reply 56 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aresee View Post

No it not already happening. The HD signal is only going to the AppleTV for local viewing. You can not and will not be able to download HD movies to your Mac or PC using iTunes.

Fair enough... But you didn't say anything about HD.
  • Reply 57 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cperdue View Post

Ive heard rumors that Apple might be entering the LCD TV market as early as this summer. With Apple long overdue for an overhaul of all of their monitors, it makes sense that Apple might have something up their sleeve in regards to full LCD televisions.

Obviously their angle would be to include AppleTV in their televisions, as one integrated unit since "no one likes set top boxes."

Has anyone heard anything regarding this rumor? Thanks!

That would be crazy! I think I would have to buy one just for the sweet apple logo
  • Reply 58 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by juniper View Post

That would be crazy! I think I would have to buy one just for the sweet apple logo

You know that blind Apple loyalty people talk about?
  • Reply 59 of 62
    Quote:

hehehe,

You are wrong, I said back in June 2007 that Apple will not make a television. You might not remember, but you were even started a a whole discussion about it.

Anyway, that;s not the point.

I love the fact you get all work out and make threads and creates signatures about what I say. Actually it is a compliment, since you have discussions with so many folks here, it makes me feel special!

Cool.
  • Reply 60 of 62
    Quote:

And I still debate water is dry