You drink complaints on forums koolaid!

Or you dish it out.
  • Reply 142 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Monkeyoe View Post

You drink complaints on forums koolaid!

Or you dish it out.

Not complaints

Just disappointments. Hey I admitted i would like to have this as a third machine if i was rich
  • Reply 143 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Theoretically do something is different than someone qualified to do it so it won't void a warranty. That's why the battery is sold with installation and it has to be sent to Apple to have a certified tech install it.

Is that English?
  • Reply 144 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Of course not. No OEM is going to give an average Joe carte blanche access to the internals of a precision machine and still validate the warranty. Would you? Think of the dumbest person you know and then tell me if you'd care if they fiddled with its guts.

This is so stupid. As long as you don't break anything, you don't void the warranty, period. The dumbest person accidentally severs the power leads from the battery to the connector? Warranty voided. Me or you unscrewing the 10 screws in the MacBook Air and changing the battery? Warranty definitely not voided, as we wouldn't make that mistake.
  • Reply 145 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

Not complaints

Just disappointments. Hey I admitted i would like to have this as a third machine if i was rich

Yep. I would too.

Anyway, the main point that people are trying to make is that slimness is a factor in Apple's decision. It is aimed at those who would sacrifice speed for looks, weight and a slim computer or/and have this as a second/third machine and have the money to shell out for it (both)
  • Reply 146 of 222
    Quote:

being tethered to an AC adapter and tethered to an ethernet are two very different things. A/C powers are much more ubiquitous than ethernet jacks. If Tesla was smarter perhaps we'd be powering everything through the air right now...and living to a ripe old age or 35 before the cancer gets us. It would help with thinning the population density. Soylent Power?

It's been mentioned before, this isn't designed to be ones only machine. It's a supplementary machine for traveling. One could use a similar argument with any ultra-portable as they are too slow to do any real crunching. It's there focus.I don't understand this need that every computer must fit everybody's needs. It's an addition to the line, not a replacement to it.

my point here is that apple potentially has an issue without including the ethernet port. They told me when i was configuring the n station to put an ethernet wire from the station to my mac book to configure some stuff. I told them I did not have the wire. they told me to call back when I do. so I went to work and borrowed the wire and brought it home and the apple tech fixed it. the point is they required me to have the ethernet connection (temporarily) to fix my wireless problem. this will not be a solution that apple tech people will have with the MBP.
  • Reply 147 of 222
    Quote:

when you move from station to station you do not have access to power. even the orange extension cables cannot get the power to you as you you are shooting large machinary in many locations. ......

Somehow, the image of a MacBook Air on a heavy-machinery-laden factory floor says 'dissonance' in my brain.... can't figure out why!?
  • Reply 148 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Perhaps this might be better, then?

http://www.macpolls.com/index.php

Though not exactly a scientific poll, it is possibly more representative than the preliminary data from my hometown of Nowheresville:

Of 6311 votes,

549 have ordered (8.71 %)

830 are planning to order (13.15%)

Repeat for those with math skills not necessarily on par with a rocket scientist: 21.86% have or plan to order a MacBook Air.

1209 are undecided

3723 do not plan to buy

As this computer is not by any understanding designed to be a mainstream device for "everyone", the large number not planning to buy is expected. What probably was not expected it the rather high number of people who actually are wavering: 19.16%.

Looks like the guys down at my local shop might have known what they were talking about...

Wow, interesting. If these sorts of early (admittedly unscientific) indications get borne out by actual purchases, Apple could become big in Japan (which has been a losing proposition for Apple in the past few years) again! That would be huge for AAPL.
  • Reply 149 of 222
    Quote:

I haven't heard anyone state that it's good, just that it isn't a big deal. The alternative would be a larger case.

The only "good" I can see from this is that it might warrant an external battery option w/ a MagSafe power-passthrough. That is much better than having to switch out batteries to use and to charge them up again. It's a royal pain! Especially, because I use a TechShell which has also has to be removed.

On your first point about the alternative would be a larger case I don't agree with. I believe they could have done it and will do it on version 2 (for business reasons). 3lb and lighter computers have the replacement batteries.

On your second point about the magsafe power-passthrough ... I think it is brilliant if it is ever developed and will solve this battery issue. I never thought of it ... but wouldn't be surprised if it happens. It would be no big deal to me to connect a battery to that magnet. is this possible?

I love apple, but I think,sometimes they try to grab too much control (ie battery aftermarket business) and they finally realize they can't. apple tv is a classic example "take one" required itunes and a computer. Take two doesn't even require a computer? This is the lesson apple is learning and this is why they are successful if they continue to listen.
  • Reply 150 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Somehow, the image of a MacBook Air on a heavy-machinery-laden factory floor says 'dissonance' in my brain.... can't figure out why!?

tell me about it

hey i got lenses that cost 20 times more than the macbook air ... but I didn't buy them
  • Reply 151 of 222
    Quote:

tell me about it

hey i got lenses that cost 20 times more than the macbook air ... but I didn't buy them

and trust me there is a big difference between 5 lbs and 3 lbs ... that is why i am disappointed that it is not a viable machine for me or my business yet. but maybe next year.
  • Reply 152 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Wow, interesting. If these sorts of early (admittedly unscientific) indications get borne out by actual purchases, Apple could become big in Japan (which has been a losing proposition for Apple in the past few years) again! That would be huge for AAPL.

The data at MacPolls is not country specific, but the guys at my shop seemed pretty upbeat.

Edit: updated the data from MacPolls at 10,000 votes exactly

Linky: http://www.macpolls.com/index.php (though the data has now changed)

8% have ordered (823 units)

13% are planning to buy one (1280 units)

TOTAL of 21% (2100 units)

19% of the voters are undecided

60% do no intend to buy the Air

This suggests a fairly good reception of this machine, an hopefully will quiet some of the fuss on the threads. Apple obviously did their research: their are people who want this baby.
  • Reply 153 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

The data at MacPolls is not country specific, but the guys at my shop seemed pretty upbeat.

Edit: updated the data from MacPols at 10,000 votes exactly

Linky: http://www.macpolls.com/index.php (though the data has now changed)

8% have ordered (823 units)

13% are planning to buy one (1280 units)

TOTAL of 21% (2100 units)

19% of the voters are undecided

60% do no intend to buy the Air

interesting ... but the only poll apple cares about on this product is their stock price. a successful launch will increase it ... an unsuccessful launch could reduce it.
  • Reply 154 of 222
    Quote:

not true. I can replace my macbook battery myself and not have to worry about it. I can't believe so many people think this non user replace battery is a good thing.

Where the hell does it say on the APPPLE SITE that this is a non user replaceable battery?

Perhaps we should wait until somebody identifies the MacBook Air battery. Based on the Keynote video it looks like it is very thin and covers quite a bit of the width. Not anything like I can remember seeing before.

Have a little patience. And by the way, Apple didn't, "warn(s) you that they MAY trash you harddrive and its not their fault when they replace your battery."
  • Reply 155 of 222
    Quote:

interesting ... but the only poll apple cares about on this product is their stock price. a successful launch will increase it ... an unsuccessful launch could reduce it.

It seems to be getting off to a good start and it hasn't even hit the sales floors yet.

We shall see.
  • Reply 156 of 222
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

This guy modifies stuff to have magsafe adapters and he plans on supporting the MBA

http://mikegyver.com/Store/index.html

$499 is kinda steep but you get a 130W-hours Valence N-Charge and Kensington adapter modified for use with a MB or MBP. That should last most flights along with your main battery.

Quote:

On your second point about the magsafe power-passthrough ... I think it is brilliant if it is ever developed and will solve this battery issue. I never thought of it ... but wouldn't be surprised if it happens. It would be no big deal to me to connect a battery to that magnet. is this possible?

No, its completely impossible which is why I posted a link to a guy who does this today for MB and MBPs.

Will people stop whining about the damn battery now? For the transgalactic flyer with 17 extra batteries for their 118 million light year flight to the Krutyi sector (who have no power outlets in the spacecraft when you fly coach) spending $499 for a universal power brick and a uber-battery isn't that much more money than what they claim to have today.
  • Reply 157 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Where the hell does it say on the APPPLE SITE that this is a non user replaceable battery?

Perhaps we should wait until somebody identifies the MacBook Air battery. Based on the Keynote video it looks like it is very thin and covers quite a bit of the width. Not anything like I can remember seeing before.

Have a little patience. And by the way, Apple didn't, "warn(s) you that they MAY trash you harddrive and its not their fault when they replace your battery."

they don't say it because it is not a feature ... its a liability. ALL other subcompacts allow you to exchange the battery easily. apple chose not to. thats their call and it was a bad one. there are many 3lbs or less machines out there that allow easy exchange.

AND sorry they DO warn you. as a matter of fact they use the word "many" which is very spooky. go to link off main article and read the 3rd paragraph yourself.

"Many repairs require Apple to replace or reformat the hard disk, which will result in the loss of your data. Please make sure you back up your data on a regular basis to minimize your data loss."

can't argue with the facts. i'm not saying they will trash your computer. but those weasle lawyer words don't give me warm fuzzies if i have to hand them my machine.
  • Reply 158 of 222
    jowie74jowie74 Posts: 540member
    Quote:

Will people stop whining about the damn battery now? For the transgalactic flyer with 17 extra batteries for their 118 million light year flight to the Krutyi sector (who have no power outlets in the spacecraft when you fly coach) spending $499 for a universal power brick and a uber-battery isn't that much more money than what they claim to have today.

It's not about the money, it's about just getting power on flights and seating classes without it.
  • Reply 159 of 222
    Quote:

No, its completely impossible which is why I posted a link to a guy who does this today for MB and MBPs.

got to admit that is pricy but cool. i get it now.

however i would prefer an easy battery exchange, but this is a legitimate alternative when it is available for mba. it puts me to 3500 so price is an issue.
  • Reply 160 of 222
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:

One could argue that Apple is then responsible for any damage to the innards caused by the replacement.

Is Apple responsible for damage caused by people upgrading memory or hard drive in a Mac laptop? Or PCI Express cards in a Mac Pro? Is Apple responsible for damage caused by end users installing any of those parts since they all require opening the computer?