Sources: MacBook Air battery replacements take only minutes

Comments

• Reply 101 of 222
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

After reading the article, don't you think you could do it yourself? Certainly it doesn't take an Einstein to realize that any literate that knows how to use a screw driver could. Cripes, even then geeks at Best Buy could do it.

I don't think Apple sells the battery by itself. If you put a 3rd party battery, it might violate AppleCare.

I would ask Apple for the particulars on anything other a certified Apple part. They can get a little particular for non-Apple certified parts installed by a non-certified tech, especially when one has to open up the computer for non-user installable items.. At least that is my understanding.. Ask for the limitations from Apple directly prior to doing anything.
  • Reply 102 of 222
    Just went to my local electronics shop and had a chat with two reps there. They already have 5 orders for the MBA, and we are in the middle of nowhere in Japan. For comparison, it took three months for them to sell 5 MacBooks, after they had a display model in the shop. So, to those who think this thing will not sell, you can give it a rest: it is selling already.

So, to answer another question posed to me on this or another thread: yes, I think this baby will sell pretty well in Japan.

---

By the way: I placed my order today.

MacBook Air and TimeCapsule 1 TB; what a combination!

Arriving in a couple of weeks. Hello to my new almost-wireless office.

To the nay-sayers and flamers: eat your hearts out!
  • Reply 103 of 222
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:

After reading the article, don't you think you could do it yourself? Certainly it doesn't take an Einstein to realize that any literate that knows how to use a screw driver could. Cripes, even then geeks at Best Buy could do it.

Theoretically do something is different than someone qualified to do it so it won't void a warranty. That's why the battery is sold with installation and it has to be sent to Apple to have a certified tech install it.
  • Reply 104 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Just went to my local electronics shop and had a chat with two reps there. They already have 5 orders for the MBA, and we are in the middle of nowhere in Japan. For comparison, it took three months for them to sell 5 MacBooks, after they had a display model in the shop. So, to those who think this thing will not sell, you can give it a rest: it is selling already.

So, to answer another question posed to me on this or another thread: yes, I think this baby will sell pretty well in Japan.

---

By the way: I placed my order today.

MacBook Air and TimeCapsule 1 TB; what a combination!

Arriving in a couple of weeks. Hello to my new almost-wireless office.

To the nay-sayers and flamers: eat your hearts out!

Wow, 5 whole units, it's a complete success, that must have paid off all the NRE money that went out the door.... I don't know if it's going to be a success or not, but your spouting off about its success already is nauseating and clearly unfounded.

BTW, nice of Apple to allow you to purchase the Time Capsule, something that the AE(n) and Leopard was supposed to support out of the box with the AirDisk.
  • Reply 105 of 222
    If my messages make you feel that way, you have a rather weak stomach. How do you feel after reading the unfounded and un-ending flames above?

I live in one of the poorest prefectures in Japan where sales lag far behind the national average and very few people splurge on anything considered excessive, thus making 5 pre-orders (of an item with no display on the shelf) at one shop in just four days a rather big deal.
  • Reply 106 of 222
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

......BTW, nice of Apple to allow you to purchase the Time Capsule, something that the AE(n) and Leopard was supposed to support out of the box with the AirDisk.

It was a feature that Apple dropped. There's no "supposed" in it.

Nevertheless, FYI, the latest 10.5.2 screen shots show Time Machine backups to networked drives has been implemented, suggesting that Apple dropped it due to a bug which they have subsequently resolved.

I know, it was funner to imagine that Apple was deliberately gaming their own system to force you to buy Time Capsule, I'll guess we'll have to look elsewhere for evidence of Apple's evil.
  • Reply 107 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Nevertheless, FYI, the latest 10.5.2 screen shots show Time Machine backups to networked drives has been implemented, suggesting that Apple dropped it due to a bug which they have subsequently resolved.

I know, it was funner to imagine that Apple was deliberately gaming their own system to force you to buy Time Capsule, I'll guess we'll have to look elsewhere for evidence of Apple's evil.

I thought that comment was rich, too. You beat me to the response!
  • Reply 108 of 222
    Quote:

If my messages make you feel that way, you have a rather weak stomach. How do you feel after reading the unfounded and un-ending flames above?

I live in one of the poorest prefectures in Japan where sales lag far behind the national average and very few people splurge on anything considered excessive, thus making 5 pre-orders (of an item with no display on the shelf) at one shop in just four days a rather big deal.

Still is clearly no way to judge any item would be a success in Japan or anywhere else at this stage.

To be honest, the 'flames' that you are referring to are people stating that they think it's a bad idea to not had a user changeable battery in a laptop that was designed for two types of people, as far as I can see. People who want to extend their home network without the need for all the extra ports and drives, and people who travel a lot. The person extending their home network doesn't care about the battery issue, so it's really down to the person who travels. If they are routinely going for 4+ hour trips without the ability to charge the battery, then it's a deal breaker. Pretty simple.
  • Reply 109 of 222
    Quote:

I thought that comment was rich, too. You beat me to the response!

It was only on Leopards Feature webpage for months only to be taken down without any word as to why or what was going on. The whole Airdisk functionality is a mess, having to reboot networks and drives etc... Finding out that they may have implemented it through screen shots form a developer build is interesting, but hardly the way that it should be handled. Especially when people bought equipment specifically for that purpose.
  • Reply 110 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I hope it is in there and I hope it works, I'd like to use the $500 worth of equipment I bought for that purpose.

As far as your 'gaming their own system' comment, you have to be kidding with that, right?
  • Reply 111 of 222
    Quote:

It was only on Leopards Feature webpage for months only to be taken down without any word as to why or what was going on. The whole Airdisk functionality is a mess, having to reboot networks and drives etc... Finding out that they may have implemented it through screen shots form a developer build is interesting, but hardly the way that it should be handled. Especially when people bought equipment specifically for that purpose.

Why would anyone buy based on what is "under development"? How many projects are dropped before they are ever completed ? I'm just guessing (don't worry, no data from Nowheresville this time, though I know of several projects that have been scrapped here), but I don't think every project goes to market and don't think this is the first time that a company has ever done something like that. How many projects are scrapped at the last minute?
  • Reply 112 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Theoretically do something is different than someone qualified to do it so it won't void a warranty. That's why the battery is sold with installation and it has to be sent to Apple to have a certified tech install it.

Where did you get that information?

First of all there is no MacBook Air battery listed for sale.

Nor is there any reference to voiding a warranty by replacing a battery unless one damages the laptop during the process or damage is caused as a result of installing a non-certified Apple part without permission.

Certainly, you don't have to send the laptop to Apple and/or have a certified tech to install it. If you don't feel comfortable doing so, any qualified Apple reseller should be able to it on the spot. The Air is not sealed and all it takes is a couple of turns on a screw.

Should you still be uncomfortable go via the MacBook Air Out-of-Warranty Battery Replacement Program.

However, if you are paranoid about it, best you don't buy any laptop from anybody.

In any event, there is no necessity to flame Apple, or a solution as presented in this article, by somebody that is more highly qualified and knowledgeable than the combined IQs of the same idiots that contiunally harass this site.
  • Reply 113 of 222
    Quote:

In any event, there is no necessity to flame Apple, or a solution as presented in this article, by somebody that is more highly qualified and knowledgeable than the combined IQs of the same idiots that contiunally harass this site.

Dat be duh nice wun!
  • Reply 114 of 222
    I wonder if the hard drive is as easy to access? Buy the 80GB version now, wait for SSD prices to get reasonable...
  • Reply 115 of 222
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Why all this whining about what happens if the battery suddenly dies on a trip? Batteries don't suddenly die (with rare exceptions of the contaminated battery packs that caught fire). They slowly lose capacity over hundreds of charge cycles. If you know your battery isn't holding a charge well, replace it before the trip. And nowhere in the article does it say a layman couldn't do it. It says a trained tech can race through it in about three minutes. An untrained user can probably do it in 10 or 15, assuming he's not a complete klutz. I don't know if third-party companies will offer replacement batteries, since there isn't the massive market here like for iPod batteries, but I'm sure Apple will eventually offer the battery separately.
  • Reply 116 of 222
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Joy of Tech

MBA is too big. Give us a sub-notebook!
  • Reply 117 of 222
    jowie74jowie74 Posts: 540member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

Why all this whining about what happens if the battery suddenly dies on a trip?

When people are talking about batteries "dying" they are actually talking about them going flat, not actually becoming broken.
  • Reply 118 of 222
    jowie74jowie74 Posts: 540member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

Joy of Tech

That is priceless!
  • Reply 119 of 222
    Quote:

Still is clearly no way to judge any item would be a success in Japan or anywhere else at this stage.

Well, at least I'd like to think that I can judge the world by observing my hometown of Nowheresville.

Muahahaaa!

• Reply 120 of 222
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

I wonder if the hard drive is as easy to access? Buy the 80GB version now, wait for SSD prices to get reasonable...

While still high for most people's taste, 64GB for $999 is not a very good price.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

Anyone thinking of buying this slim jim?

Seriously... not a peep from anyone on this forum or anyone i've talked to is pre-ordering or even interested.

Maybe people will be interested when they actually get to see one in real life.

Wow! Only reading what you want to read, eh? There have been many mentions from people on all these MBA threads from people who have ordered or will order. The last time I checked the MacOSXHints poll it was about a 50/50 split between the buyers and non-buyers.

Quote:

You are a frigg'n liar!

That did seem to be a common compliant during the months before the iPhone's release. A common reason seemed to be "How am I going to reset it when it freezes up?"

Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

I am reading a lot more cons that pros on this product on every board I've been to.

Complainers have always have a louder voice than the content people. Jesus could tell you that.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CREB View Post

After reading Apple's own ordering page, and as linked to the Apple MacBook Air ordering page for additional AppleCare (as I purchase AppleCare whenever available)

If a battery dies within a year then it'll surely be covered. The recent battery program for MBs was covered for two years, which is well out of the regular warranty date.

I've always had to have several batteries because 2 hours just doesn't cut it, but I'd bet that most people upgrade their MBA to a newer model long before theirs dies. If, for some reason, my MBA dies requiring me to send it away for a week, I'll simply buy another one and then return it (within the 14 days) after getting my old one back. i know most people can't afford to do that, but the target market for this machine will be more apt to do something like that, though I doubt most would think of it.