• Reply 21 of 72
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Great....plenty of iPhones for all the ladyboys but none for the Canadians
  • Reply 22 of 72
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,601member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

Oh, I'm sure that eventually, all you TS's up north will have one also.
  • Reply 23 of 72
    Steve was quoted on CNBC regarding the reported stalled China Telco talks and pointed out it's a goal to get the iPhone into China but that they haven't even begun talks.
  • Reply 24 of 72
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Why does Apple Insider do this?

Kick off a thread with three different topics. Which story are we supposed to be discussing?

Surely one topic per thread would be more sensible?
  • Reply 25 of 72
    I don't understand why so much emphasis is put on the thinness of the MBA.

Using a Toshiba R500 myself and carrying it all the time between work locations, I would say that weight (it's much lighter than the MBA) and battery life are much more important than just being thinner for the sake of it. True it's using a slower Core 2 Duo ULV, but considering I get 7h out of it, ULVs are perfect CPUs for ultralight systems.

Also what's the point of having a 13" screen for such a low resolution? I have the same resolution on a 12" one and I have yet to find somebody wearing glasses or a more senior colleague complaining about it being small.

Finally the fact that I don't have to sacrifice on ports, a Gigabit interface and an integrated optical drive are just bonuses, but they are nice to have.
  • Reply 26 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

The original statement wasn't for 10 million in 2008 only, it was total for sometime in 2008, including 2007.

The original statement (at Macworld 2007) *was* for 10 million *in* 2008

\
  • Reply 27 of 72
    yamayama Posts: 427member
    Quote:

Other than for servers, what would be the point to virtualizing OS X on Macs?

Same reason people virtualize Windows on PCs - so you can have multiple OS configurations on one machine. This is great for testing purposes.

Say you need to test how an app works in 10.4 and 10.5. You could dual boot the system, but that's kinda messy. It's much easier just to have multiple virtual machines and fire them up as you need them.

It's also great for testing configurations before rolling them out to a bunch of machines in a lab.

Using the snapshot feature in VMWare you can make a change to a system, and if it causes problems, you can just revert to the saved snapshot instantly. Again, great for testing stuff.
  • Reply 28 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HyteProsector View Post

the number 4mil was released at MacWorld. This puts them on pace to sell 10mil. I think the quarterly report coming up will elaborate. I believe its coming tomorrow?

That presumes the pace remains constant.

Sales are rarely constant if the product remains the same throughout it's life.
  • Reply 29 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

Is that an iPhone in your pocket or are you just pleased to see me?
  • Reply 30 of 72
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ioport View Post

I don't understand why so much emphasis is put on the thinness of the MBA.

Using a Toshiba R500 myself and carrying it all the time between work locations, I would say that weight (it's much lighter than the MBA) and battery life are much more important than just being thinner for the sake of it. True it's using a slower Core 2 Duo ULV, but considering I get 7h out of it, ULVs are perfect CPUs for ultralight systems.

Also what's the point of having a 13" screen for such a low resolution? I have the same resolution on a 12" one and I have yet to find somebody wearing glasses or a more senior colleague complaining about it being small.

Finally the fact that I don't have to sacrifice on ports, a Gigabit interface and an integrated optical drive are just bonuses, but they are nice to have.

I agree. Mostly.. Weight, battery time and usability should come first. Not including a FW port was a really sad move for instance. I think that's the only thing I don't like with it though. I got a pb12, and I think 13" is better, but I don't see why they couldn't minimize the frame around the screen to make it just a tad less wide.
  • Reply 31 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Citing anonymous sources, the paper says about 190,000 Apple handsets have traded hands since launch. This may fall underneath a "conservative" 200,000 figure and suggests that Apple's £269 ($524) price is too high for customers used to far less expensive devices, the report says.

I get the feeling the anonymous sources are all linked to O2. To me it's not the £269 that's too expensive, it's the hugely expensive minimum £35 / month contract for less mins / txts than I get at the moment. I'm paying a little more than half that for more minutes, more texts and slightly less (though more than adequate) data usage.

Come on O2, sort out your contracts to a more reasonable level then you'd see them fly off the shelves.

I'm still thinking of selling my Viewty on eBay and hacking an iPhone to work with Vodafone which would be another sale for Apple but scared they'll brick it with some update, or prevent iTunes from working with it unless it's at a specific firmware version number. I'd be happy not updating (and that's what the revenue sharing model is meant to pay for isn't it?) if I could be assured it wouldn't get "turned off" at some point.
  • Reply 32 of 72
    Quote:

Maybe about 4,400,000 sales, after the German results come in.

Was the 4 million announced at Macworld including European sales or not?

I noticed the market shares had to be US only otherwise they'd not be impressive at all, so perhaps it was US only, but I've not watched the keynote yet.

I usually watch the keynotes as soon as they are out, but other than the Time Capsule announcement, everything else wasn't of interest this year. Apple's hardware is getting less and less interesting for me I think.

I'm waiting for the MacBook Pro update and then deciding if I'm buying a Thinkpad T61 and hackintoshing it.
  • Reply 33 of 72
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:

The original statement wasn't for 10 million in 2008 only, it was total for sometime in 2008, including 2007.

I tend to think you're right Mel, though some will argue to their dying days that Jobs was talking about 2008 only, while other will say the 10 million sold goal is for mid '07 (US launch) through the end of '08 (18 months).

The latter group is definitely WRONG:

The giveaway that Jobs was talking about selling 10 million iPhones in 12 months, rather than US launch-to-end of '08 (18 months) is the "1% marketshare" figure in the graphic.

Since the worldwide cellphone market is roughly 1 billion phones sold per year, you just wouldn't get 1% marketshare by selling 10 million phones in an 18-month time period. It's obviously a 12-month time period they're talking about.

I guess one could argue that what Jobs meant was mid-'07 to mid-'08, rather than simply '2008'. If true, then Apple is quite a bit behind schedule... 4 million sold in 6 months works out to an 8 million per year pace, or well shy of the 10 million goal. And that's WITH the big holiday quarter already spoken for. \

Additionally, no help from the Asian launch then, unless it happens before the end of calendar Q2. Ach, me poor stock.

• Reply 34 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

I tend to think you're right Mel, though some will argue to their dying days that Jobs was talking about 2008 only, while other will say the 10 million sold goal is for mid '07 (US launch) through the end of '08 (18 months).

The latter group is definitely WRONG:

The giveaway that Jobs was talking about selling 10 million iPhones in 12 months, rather than US launch-to-end of '08 (18 months) is the "1% marketshare" figure in the graphic.

Since the worldwide cellphone market is roughly 1 billion phones sold per year, you just wouldn't get 1% marketshare by selling 10 million phones in an 18-month time period. It's obviously a 12-month time period they're talking about.

I guess one could argue that what Jobs meant was mid-'07 to mid-'08, rather than simply '2008'. If true, then Apple is quite a bit behind schedule... 4 million sold in 6 months works out to an 8 million per year pace, or well shy of the 10 million goal. And that's WITH the big holiday quarter already spoken for. \

Additionally, no help from the Asian launch then, unless it happens before the end of calendar Q2. Ach, me poor stock.

It's interesting how the human mind works...

- some people will see 'in 2008' and think 'ah, the 18mth period beginning June 28th, 2007, and ending December 31st, 2008.

- other people will see 'in 2008' and think 'ah, the 12mth period beginning June 28th, 2007, and ending June 30th, 2008.

- and still others will see 'in 2008' and think 'ah, the 12mth period beginning Jan 1st, 2008, and ending Decemeber 31st, 2008.

• Reply 35 of 72
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:

- some people will see 'in 2008' and think 'ah, the 18mth period beginning June 28th, 2007, and ending December 31st, 2008.

- other people will see 'in 2008' and think 'ah, the 12mth period beginning June 28th, 2007, and ending June 30th, 2008.

- and still others will see 'in 2008' and think 'ah, the 12mth period beginning Jan 1st, 2008, and ending Decemeber 31st, 2008.

There is really only one way to see Job's claim - given he said 1% of the market in 2008- it has to be calendar 2008. From Jan 1 to Dec 31. The market share is not estimated, in any market, from June to June but by calendar year, and 18 months is not the timeframe to measure any market.

In any case they are on target. Rich though it is the US is merely 5% of the global market. Clearly mobile use is global - it seems the entire industry sells enough to give a phone to the entire population of the Earth every 6 years. If US sales just stay at the same rate, and Apple moves into Canada, India, China, Japan and the rest of Europe/Russia ( with 3G phones, preferably) and South America ( with half a billion people) it will easily meet it's targets without a price drop. With a price drop, it could be larger than 1%.
  • Reply 36 of 72
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    I never understand why there is so much debate over this 10 million target.

If it wasn't completely clear at the iPhone keynote, Jobs repeated the target figure numerous times at the usual post Macworld interviews. It was also reiterated by other Apple execs at various other events.

Here's Tim Cook at the Q4 2007 earnings call:

"I?ll start with that one. The answer is we are not predicting, Andy. I would reiterate that we are very confident with shipping 10 million in the calendar year of next year."

Linky

So that is 10 million iPhones by the end of 2008 .... and ONLY 2008. There might be a question as to whether 10 million is 1% of the market .... but there is no question about the figure.

It's not really worth counting until the end of this quarter .... but I am sure we will.
  • Reply 37 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samurai1999 View Post

The original statement (at Macworld 2007) *was* for 10 million *in* 2008

\

This has been gone over so many times now that it really doesn't pay to explain it to you. But that was NOT the meaning.
  • Reply 38 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

I never understand why there is so much debate over this 10 million target.

If it wasn't completely clear at the iPhone keynote, Jobs repeated the target figure numerous times at the usual post Macworld interviews. It was also reiterated by other Apple execs at various other events.

Here's Tim Cook at the Q4 2007 earnings call:

"I?ll start with that one. The answer is we are not predicting, Andy. I would reiterate that we are very confident with shipping 10 million in the calendar year of next year."

Linky

So that is 10 million iPhones by the end of 2008 .... and ONLY 2008. There might be a question as to whether 10 million is 1% of the market .... but there is no question about the figure.

It's not really worth counting until the end of this quarter .... but I am sure we will.

Aaargh.... can't wait till it's 2009, so that this debate becomes moot.

Oh, wait.....
  • Reply 39 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yama View Post

Same reason people virtualize Windows on PCs - so you can have multiple OS configurations on one machine. This is great for testing purposes.

Say you need to test how an app works in 10.4 and 10.5. You could dual boot the system, but that's kinda messy. It's much easier just to have multiple virtual machines and fire them up as you need them.

It's also great for testing configurations before rolling them out to a bunch of machines in a lab.

Using the snapshot feature in VMWare you can make a change to a system, and if it causes problems, you can just revert to the saved snapshot instantly. Again, great for testing stuff.

A very few people will get any benefit from that, and those who do will not be using Basic, or premium. we both know that.

The question remains.
  • Reply 40 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

Was the 4 million announced at Macworld including European sales or not?

I noticed the market shares had to be US only otherwise they'd not be impressive at all, so perhaps it was US only, but I've not watched the keynote yet.

I usually watch the keynotes as soon as they are out, but other than the Time Capsule announcement, everything else wasn't of interest this year. Apple's hardware is getting less and less interesting for me I think.

I'm waiting for the MacBook Pro update and then deciding if I'm buying a Thinkpad T61 and hackintoshing it.

I believe the total to date is supposed to be about 4.290 million, not including German sales, the figures for which have not yet come in.