Microsoft: Vista successor may not arrive until 2011

245

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 90
    The cat names started as an internal names. When it became known on the outside, Apple started using these monikers on the retail releases. Apple will continue to release OSs under the cat names. There is really no reason to not.
  • Reply 22 of 90
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post


    I think Time Machine was a first sign that the identity of OS X will be shifting away from cat names and will begin using space-related names. Maybe planets or constellations, or even concepts like warp speed.



    Careful what you wish for. Most heavenly bodies have complex and boring names like Intel chip models.



    In fact, there aren't very many companies that use their in-house code names in production and for marketing the way Apple does. I wonder if this was just an accident because I don't recall that happening with System 7.



    We use Intel code names like Penryn and Harpertown but these are not common words and certainly not household names.



    PS: Apple has already used constellations before with System 7 (in bold below)





    Pre-OS X codenames that you never heard about:
    System Software 6.0 — Antares, Big Deal, SixPack, Terminator

    System Software 7.0 — Blue, Big Bang, M80, Pleiades

    System Software 7.1 — Cube-E, Tripoli

    System Software 7.5 — Mozart, Capone

    System Software 7.6 — Harmony

    System Software 8.0 — Tempo

    System Software 8.1 — Bride of Buster, Scimitar

    System Software 8.5 — Allegro

    System Software 8.5.1 — The Ric Ford Release

    System Software 8.6 — Veronica

    System Software 9.0 — Sonata

    System Software 9.0.4 — Minuet

    System Software 9.1 — Fortissimo

    System Software 9.2 — Moonlight

    System Software 9.2.1 — Limelight

    System Software 9.2.2 — LU1
  • Reply 23 of 90
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blastfamy View Post


    The cat names started as an internal names. When it became known on the outside, Apple started using these monikers on the retail releases. Apple will continue to release OSs under the cat names. There is really no reason to not.





    Except that they're starting to run out of good cat names, anyway.



    After all, who the frak wants something called Mac OS X Ocelot?



    Cougar, Lynx, and Sabretooth are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head that are good. And they probably wouldn't use Sabretooth... too many easy "that OS is prehistoric!" jokes for the Windows fanbois to use.





    .
  • Reply 24 of 90
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post


    Yes primarily based on Apple's woeful penetration into SMB and Enterprise markets. Microsoft will coast on the new flavors of Windows 2008 server, Unified Communication and other burgeoning tech. They'll be fine.



    Don't get me wrong. I not saying that they're going bankrupt.



    However they are allowing Apple a huge lead in the cell phone market (where iPhone already surpasses winmobile) and likely soon in the UMPC market where Apple is expected to release products (in addition to the iPod touch).



    Could be a repeat of iPod vs Zune where MS was so late to the game they're irrelevant.
  • Reply 25 of 90
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    Now that Mac OS X has matured, I think the next name should be Cougar.











    Flawless victory by Solipism. Finish him!













    .
  • Reply 26 of 90
    They should start naming their OS releases after the planets in our solar system. That'll keep them going for a few generations.
  • Reply 27 of 90
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post


    :Flawless victory by Solipism. Finish him!



    Thanks.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daniel84 View Post


    They should start naming their OS releases after the planets in our solar system. That'll keep them going for a few generations.



    8?



    Jupiter's moons would be excessive and they some good names. The Galilean moons come to mind: Io, Europa, Ganymede and Callisto. With Io being a excellent name sense it also means Input/Output.
  • Reply 28 of 90
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,428member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post


    Don't get me wrong. I not saying that they're going bankrupt.



    However they are allowing Apple a huge lead in the cell phone market (where iPhone already surpasses winmobile) and likely soon in the UMPC market where Apple is expected to release products (in addition to the iPod touch).



    Could be a repeat of iPod vs Zune where MS was so late to the game they're irrelevant.



    Wouldn't THAT be sweet?



    You know I kind of get the sense that Apple's going to make some large steps toward some new markets. UMPC would be a step in the right direction and I'd love to see Apple create a new Business Unit that's sole goal was to focus on delivering product to SMB and Mid Market Biz customers.



    Xserve, XSAN, Xserve RAID, Apple Remote Desktop, OS X Server, and more would all come under marketing and delivery control of this BU. I certainly love to see Apple do well in the consumer sector but I get tired of the stock gettng flaky because iPods didn't have a bangup quarter.
  • Reply 29 of 90
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post


    Wouldn't THAT be sweet?



    You know I kind of get the sense that Apple's going to make some large steps toward some new markets. UMPC would be a step in the right direction and I'd love to see Apple create a new Business Unit that's sole goal was to focus on delivering product to SMB and Mid Market Biz customers.



    Xserve, XSAN, Xserve RAID, Apple Remote Desktop, OS X Server, and more would all come under marketing and delivery control of this BU. I certainly love to see Apple do well in the consumer sector but I get tired of the stock gettng flaky because iPods didn't have a bangup quarter.



    I believe MS' net profit was more than Apple's gross profit for the Q1-2008. MS may be losing a little marketshare and be hemorrhaging money in other areas but they are still very successful and too entrenched to become a Xerox anytime soon.
  • Reply 30 of 90
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post


    Except that they're starting to run out of good cat names, anyway.



    Mac OS X Liger
  • Reply 31 of 90
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,428member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    I believe MS' net profit was more than Apple's gross profit for the Q1-2008. MS may be losing a little marketshare and be hemorrhaging money in other areas but they are still very successful and too entrenched to become a Xerox anytime soon.



    Indeed. In ways both companies need to learn a bit from each other.



    Microsoft needs to learn how to generate the sizzle and excitement that Apple does and with Windows 7 I think they'll be a bit more secretive than they have been in the past.



    Apple needs a strategy that allows them to divulge roadmap info while keeping the exciting nuggets secret for the big bang stuff. I mean come on it's not that hard to state "we're moving towards this direction" for people to at least do some cursory planning.
  • Reply 32 of 90
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by satchmo View Post


    Mac OS X Liger





    God I love Napoleon Dynamite.











    .
  • Reply 33 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post


    God I love Napoleon Dynamite.











    .



    I f*en love that! That's great! That would definitely be the most memorable Mac OS X release. I love that movie! Lol.
  • Reply 34 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post


    God I love Napoleon Dynamite.











    .



    Graphite across the board anyone? No thanks,



    But there are some perks!



    Instead of the startup chime, the mac politely asks you for your tots.

    Photobooth would take hours rendering the shading on your upper lip.

    Help system teaches users karate!



    I LOVE THIS OS!!!
  • Reply 35 of 90
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daniel84 View Post


    They should start naming their OS releases after the planets in our solar system. That'll keep them going for a few generations.



    In 2037 they'll release OSX Pluto. In 2038 they'll declare that it wasn't actually a major OS release and was merely a boxed system update.
  • Reply 36 of 90
    I like Ocelot.
  • Reply 37 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blastfamy View Post


    Graphite across the board anyone?



    Instead of the startup chime, the mac politely asks you for your tots.

    Photobooth would take hours rendering the shading on your upper lip.

    Help system teaches users karate!



    I LOVE THIS OS!!!



    I love that! The "You gonna eat your tots?" would be great. I'd laugh every time I turned it on lol.
  • Reply 38 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    I believe MS' net profit was more than Apple's gross profit for the Q1-2008. MS may be losing a little marketshare and be hemorrhaging money in other areas but they are still very successful and too entrenched to become a Xerox anytime soon.



    Not to mention that Vista has sold 100 million copies in about a year. At WWDC07 Apple told its developers there are 30 million Mac OS X machines out there, so Microsoft sold almost 4x more copies of Vista in 1 year than Apple has sold copies of Mac OS X in 6 years. And that's without Windows 2008 Server and Vista SP1 (which most enterprises are waiting for before deploying Vista). I don't think Windows is going anywhere. Microsoft's Xbox division also posted a profit this quarter of around $400 million, which means the console is no longer a loss leader for the games. That will be interesting in the next couple of years, since the 360 is going to have staying power.



    But it is nice to see Microsoft stumbling.
  • Reply 39 of 90
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skittlebrau79 View Post


    Microsoft's Xbox division also posted a profit this quarter of around $400 million, which means the console is no longer a loss leader for the games.



    That is 400M in the black for the quarter. They still have many billions to recoup before the 360 is in the truly in the black.
  • Reply 40 of 90
    suhailsuhail Posts: 192member
    Microsoft's problem is that Windows source-code is cumbersome. I think may see Windows 7 in 2011 but it would really be what a working Vista. However, I do believe Microsoft is working on a new operating system, I doubt that they decided to stick to the Windows code for life. Something similar to when NT came out, it was new and popular.



    As for Mac OS X, I think Steve may skip 10.6 and jump right into OS 11 and use canine names.



    OS XI Doberman WHO LET THE DOGS OUT
Sign In or Register to comment.