Microsoft: Vista successor may not arrive until 2011

1235»

Comments

• Reply 82 of 90
    wallywally Posts: 211member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clive At Five View Post

What are you, twelve? Can we cut out the juvenile remarks and discuss this topic like an adult? Please?

No offense, but your first 4 words contradicted your entire statement.
  • Reply 83 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Could be a repeat of iPod vs Zune where MS was so late to the game they're irrelevant.

I can hardly wait to see what MS does with Yahoo.
  • Reply 84 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wally View Post

No offense, but your first 4 words contradicted your entire statement.

No offense, but your entire statement contradicts it's self.
  • Reply 85 of 90
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by internetworld7 View Post

No offense, but your entire statement contradicts it's self.

No offense, sucks for a NFL football team.
  • Reply 86 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

No offense, sucks for a NFL football team.

Yes, that's exactly how Tom Brady and the Patriots will feel Sunday.
  • Reply 87 of 90
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by internetworld7 View Post

Yes, that's exactly how Tom Brady and the Patriots will feel Sunday.

We can only hope.
  • Reply 88 of 90
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,434moderator
    I think Microsoft will put in extra effort for Windows 7. Even Bill Gates practically admitted disappointment with Vista in an interview but said he wouldn't comment until the successor was out.

Whether they can do it is another thing. I doubt that Windows 7 will be as big an overhaul as Vista. 7 will probably just be a much more refined and polished Vista. Basically just fix everything that Vista does wrong.

I don't think it will ever be too late for them. Windows can only ever lose out to Linux. Macs are held back by the hardware options and that's not changing soon.

The only way that Apple can make a significant impact is if hardware prices drop to such an extent that PC hardware has no advantage. Apple need to realise this with their lineup and simply keep using older processors longer.

People I see using Macbooks simply do not need more than a 1.83GHz Core 2 Duo for emails and general office work.
  • Reply 89 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MsNly View Post

How about...

Alley Cat

or Pregnant Alley Cat

Probably end up being sued by Alley Baggett for infringement of her cartoon character. :-)
  • Reply 90 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I don't think it will ever be too late for them. Windows can only ever lose out to Linux. Macs are held back by the hardware options and that's not changing soon.

The only way that Apple can make a significant impact is if hardware prices drop to such an extent that PC hardware has no advantage. Apple need to realise this with their lineup and simply keep using older processors longer.

People I see using Macbooks simply do not need more than a 1.83GHz Core 2 Duo for emails and general office work.

Some interesting points in there, but if you look at the W3C's OS stats here Macs have doubled their worldwide market share in the last four years although admittedly growth seems to be slowing a little bit. I think Apple will start to price more aggressively accepting lower margins for higher sales: we're already starting to see it with the iMac and the Macbook and I know quite a few individuals who have moved from PC to Mac in the last three months.

The thing that stops Linux being a serious contender is that generally you have to be quite careful with your hardware choices for life to be even approaching simple. I say this speaking from my own experience of the fairly arduous task of getting something as common as a broadcom wifi card to work and as for the RAID array, well I had to forget it in the end short of learning how to hack my own drivers.

Yes it's true that I probably spend as much time in terminal on the Mac as I did on Linux, but it's mostly because I choose to, not because I have to.

As for it never being too late for Microsoft, giants can always fall. You only need to compare IBM's market position in the late seventies/early eighties to the way it is now to know that. It only takes one major strategic mistake for a company to lose it's dominance. Another case in point would be Yahoo's opportunity to buy Google some years back that they decided against.