Microsoft: Vista successor may not arrive until 2011

Comments

• Reply 41 of 90
    wallywally Posts: 211member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"The specific release date will be determined once the company meets its quality bar for release."

Quality bar? Quality bar!? Microsoft has a quality bar? I need to see this...
  • Reply 42 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by suhail View Post

Microsoft's problem is that Windows source-code is cumbersome. I think may see Windows 7 in 2011 but it would really be what a working Vista. However, I do believe Microsoft is working on a new operating system, I doubt that they decided to stick to the Windows code for life. Something similar to when NT came out, it was new and popular.

As for Mac OS X, I think Steve may skip 10.6 and jump right into OS 11 and use canine names.

OS XI Doberman WHO LET THE DOGS OUT

They could call the first one OS X1.0 Chihuahua.

I'd buy it!
  • Reply 43 of 90
    This article is stupid. Yes MS said it will takes 3 years to develop, they've been saying this the whole time. They didn't say 3 MORE years they said 3 years. It's not three years from today it's three years since they started which was about the time vista launched so they're already a year into it and have the first M1 build out.
  • Reply 44 of 90
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    With something as complicated as an OS, you need to do frequent incremental releases, not big whammys. Apple has the right model (as the progress of OS X vs Windows shows).
  • Reply 45 of 90
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Windows 3.0

Windows 3.1

Windows 95

Windows NT

Windows 98

Windows 2000

Windows Millennium Edition (Me)

Windows XP

Windows Vista

Now Windows 7.

These boys can't even get a logical naming scheme.
  • Reply 46 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPeon View Post

Windows 95

Windows 98

Windows ME

Windows 2000

Windows XP

Vista

Now Windows 7.

These boys can't even get a logical naming scheme.

actually, the number refers the the core number. Windows 1-3 was named as is. After that came NT (4), then the others are just minor incrementals on 4 and 5 through XP. Vista was Windows 6. Windows 7 is codenamed Viena and has yet to be given a RTM name. The numbers are only internal. I can see why: 95-XP being one version of Windows is really kind of embarrasing.
  • Reply 47 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blastfamy View Post

I can see why: 95-XP being one version of Windows is really kind of embarrasing.

As a die hard Mac fan I have to admit that MS made some progress towards stability from Win 95 to Win XP SP2, even if it took them the better part of 10 years
  • Reply 48 of 90
    I heard from some one who develops mac os x. after 10.9, it will be changed to bear's name.
  • Reply 49 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by suhail View Post

However, I do believe Microsoft is working on a new operating system, I doubt that they decided to stick to the Windows code for life. Something similar to when NT came out, it was new and popular.

Yes, that is the "Singularity" research project. They have a working prototype of that whole new OS sice some time. It is really interesting and innovative but without a GUI so far
  • Reply 50 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guartho View Post

In 2037 they'll release OSX Pluto. In 2038 they'll declare that it wasn't actually a major OS release and was merely a boxed system update.

lol

what about a os supernova? it's a nice name and a powerful event...
  • Reply 51 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TiAdiMundo View Post

Yes, that is the "Singularity" research project. They have a working prototype of that whole new OS sice some time. It is really interesting and innovative but without a GUI so far

i know it's probably not, but this 'whole new os' sometimes sounds like a mith...
  • Reply 52 of 90
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    Nice crap. That means that following the record of previous development delays over and over again, it will arrive by 2020 at the earliest. Nice crap, again.
  • Reply 53 of 90
    windows 7: seven years of development at least...
  • Reply 54 of 90
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

God I love Napoleon Dynamite.

LOL... thats so awesome.

The quote is perfect.
  • Reply 55 of 90
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

The quote is perfect.

Why? What am I missing here?
  • Reply 56 of 90
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

Why? What am I missing here?

Deb: What are you drawing?

Napoleon Dynamite: A liger.

Deb: What's a liger?

Napoleon Dynamite: It's pretty much my favorite animal. It's like a lion and a tiger mixed... bred for its skills in magic.

And it's an animal in real life, too. Apparently lions and tigers can successfully mate:

• Reply 57 of 90
    Oh, and gratuitously, for absolutely no reason other than it amuses me...

... Jessica Alba, screaming into an oven.

AIGGGH!!! Tollhouse cookies burn SO EASILY!

• Reply 58 of 90
    Quote:

Deb: What are you drawing?

Napoleon Dynamite: A liger.

Deb: What's a liger?

Napoleon Dynamite: It's pretty much my favorite animal. It's like a lion and a tiger mixed... bred for its skills in magic.

Who are Deb and Napoleon Dynamite?

Quote:

And it's an animal in real life, too. Apparently lions and tigers can successfully mate:

This... is... a... monster cat! The dog-cow in feline incarnation. Certainly not real.
  • Reply 59 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

Who are Deb and Napoleon Dynamite?

You are beyond hope.

Quote:

This... is... a... monster cat! The dog-cow in feline incarnation. Certainly not real.

Is real. Apparently the lion-tiger mating messes up the mechanism that stops growth...

Ligers grow much larger than tigers or lions because female lions and male tigers transmit a growth-inhibiting gene to their descendants. Being the offspring of a male lion and a female tiger, the Liger does not have this growth-inhibiting gene and, therefore, grows much larger.

http://www.authorsden.com/categories...id=81&id=17119

• Reply 60 of 90
    Quote:

You are beyond hope.

OK, at least you see why I did not catch anything from the joke.

Quote:

Is real. Apparently the lion-tiger mating messes up the mechanism that stops growth...

Ligers grow much larger than tigers or lions because female lions and male tigers transmit a growth-inhibiting gene to their descendants. Being the offspring of a male lion and a female tiger, the Liger does not have this growth-inhibiting gene and, therefore, grows much larger.

http://www.authorsden.com/categories...id=81&id=17119

Quite interesting. That thing can chop off your head just by sneezing.