Apple among those considering rival bid for Yahoo?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Global giants including Apple Inc. and Rupert Murdoch's News Corp. are considering rival bids for the internet search icon Yahoo, which has received a $44.6 billion offer from Microsoft, the Scotsman is reporting.

Though the report cites no sources, it points to a statement on Yahoo's website that says that company will seek acquisition proposals from other companies, evaluate all of its strategic alternatives, and then "pursue the option that it believes can best maximise value for our shareholders."

In addition to Apple and News Corp., several other firms are reported to be unwilling to allow Microsoft to gobble up Yahoo without a fight, including American media conglomerate InterActiveCorp and leading Chinese search firms such as Alibaba.com.

"Yahoo chief executive and co-founder Jerry Yang is understood not to be Microsoft's greatest fan, and would be prepared to line up another 'white knight' rather than concede to Ballmer," the Scotsman wrote in its report. "It is believed he would be particularly open to a rescue bid from Steve Jobs' Apple Corp, having openly expressed his admiration for the firm in the past."

In an effort to help boost sagging moral at the once thriving internet search company, Yang this past October called upon Jobs to deliver a motivational speech at a company meeting consisting of approximately 300 of Yahoo's top brass.

The message delivered by Jobs was that Yahoo -- a company with one of the largest Internet user bases -- can do and achieve anything. Like Apple, he said, Yahoo retains some incredibly valuable assets, but now needs to focus on execution.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 88
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    I could see Apple and Yahoo creating good synergistic mileu more so than Microsoft and Yahoo which are too redundant in product offerings.

Apple would clean up the myriad of Yahoo tools and provide some direction to the companies many offerings.

.Mac would become a premium service at $149 a year and Apple would basically turn Yahoo into .Mac on steroids ...but for free for most services.
  • Reply 2 of 88
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I don't see Apple wanting to buy the chaotic boondoggle that is Yahoo.

Could Apple legally invest into Yahoo before putting in an offer that would make MS counteroffer, thereby increasing Apple's financial holdings as Yahoo stock would skyrocket again and drain MS of more money if the deal goes through? Well, they can at least do one of the two legally.
  • Reply 3 of 88
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Oh lord, please, no.

Hopefully this would just be a ploy to make MS pay even more.

The MS bid is not about any product or technology... its about eyeballs, pure and simple.

But for the most entertaining look at the bid, check out...

http://fakesteve.blogspot.com/2008/0...-of-ideas.html

Fake Steve's finally back on track.
  • Reply 4 of 88
    As someone with both a .mac subscription and paid subscription to Yahoo! email I too would welcome Yahoo! being bought by anyone else (well except to the Chinese company being mentioned in the article). I'm weary of Microsoft radically making Yahoo! less Apple friendly.
  • Reply 5 of 88
    markbmarkb Posts: 153member
    No chance Apple is so incredibly stupid to bid on YHOO (I hope!). They have enough on their plate and I don't think the value is there to come in over MSFTs bid.

Personally, I like Yahoo and wouldn't want to seem them consumed by MSFT, but I think the resulting indigestion would be great fun to watch and a big win for Apple. I would like to see MSFT get bled for another 10-15 billion on this purchase if possible though.
  • Reply 6 of 88
    I would think that Yahoo! would be a distraction for Apple. Possibly as much (maybe slightly less) of a mistake as it will be for Microsoft.

However, I'd love to see some bidding force Microsoft to pay a few (10?) billion more, thus causing even more of a mess for Microsoft to find ways to justify this buyout.

Yahoo! is a "fixer upper" project I think. Probably has lots of great assets but probably lacks real focus. This is a perfect fit for Microsoft (sarcasm fully intended). This will keep Microsoft distracted for years trying to figure out a way to properly ruining the things that are good about Yahoo!

It would be a real challenge for Steve and his team to see how well they can shape up such a large organization (in a very different business) by Steve's sheer force of will. I suppose if anyone could do it, he can (making this a slightly smaller mistake for Apple). But it would scare me.

Apple's best strategic acquisition would be Adobe to get control of a bunch of decent software assets (including media content formats and technologies widely used on the Internet). Then partner closely with Google for the "cloud computing" side of things. Maybe even sell off .Mac to Google and much greater (and cooler) integration of Google with Leopard, Safari, iPhone, iPod touch, etc.

I think that's where I'd go if I were Apple.
  • Reply 7 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

The MS bid is not about any product or technology... its about eyeballs, pure and simple.

You really don't think eyeballs are a product? What do you think NBC, FOX, ABC etc... are selling to advertisers?

Wait! You didn't think you were their customer did you?
  • Reply 8 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloodstains View Post

You really don't think eyeballs are a product? What do you think NBC, FOX, ABC etc... are selling to advertisers?

Wait! You didn't think you were their customer did you?

Eyeballs aren't the product because they aren't providing them in any way. Eyeballs would be the customers in your example.
  • Reply 9 of 88
    I see no real reason for Apple to spend billions to acquire the sinking ship that is Yahoo!, and the article sounds like a reporter trying to invent a story to fill space.
  • Reply 10 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Eyeballs aren't the product because they aren't providing them in any way. Eyeballs would be the customers in your example.

Content providers are supplying the consumers[eyeballs] by producing the content to draw consumers to the site/channel/radio station. The consumers[eyeballs] can not be the customers because they are not making a purchase.
  • Reply 11 of 88
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:

Of course. Just point out that its not Yahoo's technologies that MS wants.
  • Reply 12 of 88
    Quote:

They are providing the eyeballs by producing the content to draw them to the site/channel/radio station. The eyeballs can not be the customers because they do not making a purchase.

Wow! Simply, wow!
  • Reply 13 of 88
    I like the idea

Apple rarely makes large purchases but if they really want to play with the big boys they have to get in front of a lot of people.

Do I really think Apple is going to spend Billions. No. The fiscally conservative Apple will likely just bluff and let Yahoo slide on by.

However the nice thing would be if they did purchase Yahoo and over the course of the next 5 years turned the site into a great repository of information and social connection (iChat would now support Jabbar, AOL, Yahoo Messenger and Google Talk!).
  • Reply 14 of 88
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Buying Yahoo would put AAPL in more direct competition with

Google, currently a close ally. I can't see it happening.
  • Reply 15 of 88
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Wow! Simply, wow!

Sounds like somebody just got their eyeballs opened.
  • Reply 16 of 88
    mh71mh71 Posts: 44member
    I some respects the deal would make sense for aapl. Besides the search engine, there are a couple of points that stick out to me:

1. yhoo is seems to have a cult following in China, due to its founder/CEO. China is a market that aapl is looking to get a foothold in. The deal could give aapl some "halo" effect while they try to bring in the iphone and open shops.

2. A number of yhoo holdings seem to be particularly mac centric. If msft got a hold of these properties, they would either kill them off or try to convert them to some lame windows live garbage. I think aapl would be adverse to letting this happen.

If they don't go for the whole thing, I think they would try to make msft divest themselves from the properties in #2 on anti-trust grounds.
  • Reply 17 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Sounds like somebody just got their eyeballs opened.

Either that or maybe my convoluted post? It has been edited for clarity.
  • Reply 18 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Buying Yahoo would put AAPL in more direct competition with

Google, currently a close ally. I can't see it happening.

Google developing Android put them in direct competition with Apple. Business is Business..Apple will partner with Google where it sees fit and compete where they must.

I'd say that Apple could stratify a Yahoo purchase more cleanly by breaking Yahoo into functional BU and then sell off what they don't need (Advertising etc)
  • Reply 19 of 88
    ajmasajmas Posts: 601member
    I can't see why Apple would want to buy Yahoo? Apple is already working with Google for a certain number of solutions and they already have their .mac service. What are the benefits to Apple in buying Yahoo?
  • Reply 20 of 88
    Several people posting here have remarked about the "assets" Yahoo has. Even Steve Jobs mentioned them in his motivational speech last fall. I don't think that Jobs & Co would have any trouble taking over and reshaping Yahoo if they really wanted to do it. When Jobs came back to Apple it was in a similar position-some good assets but getting it's rear kicked by the competition due to lack of focus. Look at how quickly Jobs cut things at Apple like the Newton, OpenDoc, CHRP, etc... There's nothing that ails Yahoo that some Alka-Jobs won't cure!