AT&T plans 3G expansion ahead of second-gen iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
AT&T said Wednesday it plans a major expansion of its wireless network during the 2008 calendar year, including the deployment of third-generation (3G) wireless broadband service to more than 80 additional cities in the United States through the course of the year.

The news comes just months before Apple is expected to take the wraps off its second generation iPhone\t, which, unlike the existing version, is expected to make broad use of 3G wireless technology. The current version of the touch-screen handset only functions on slower, 2.5G networks like AT&T's Edge.

The planned expansion is expected to deliver 3G services to nearly 350 leading U.S. markets by the end of 2008, AT&T said in a statement, including all of the top 100 U.S. cities. The 3G initiative will also include the roll out of more than 1,500 additional cell towers nationwide.

"With these aggressive initiatives, we're expanding the scope and the speed of our 3G capabilities, connecting people with their world and enabling more customers to do more with their wireless devices, wherever they may be," said AT&T Wireless chief executive Ralph de la Vega. "We're also planning for the future by establishing a clear path to a 4G network that will meet the needs of our customers for years to come."

While AT&T's Edge network supports a theoretical maximum download speed of is 473.6 Kilobits per second (Kbps), real-world speeds are presumed to be much closer to 200 Kbps. By comparison, the wireless provider says its 3G network now delivers typical downlink speeds ranging between 600 and 1,400 Kbps, as well as faster uplink speeds, ranging from 500 and 800 Kbps.

Though widely renowned for its advancements in software and interface design with the iPhone, Apple has been on the receiving end of much criticism for its decision to forgo 3G support in the inaugural version of the handset in favor of 2.5G support. The move, many argue, often results in a less than optimal web browsing experience, where web pages sometimes take several minutes -- rather than several seconds -- to fully load.

For its part, Apple has long maintained that a 3G iPhone is within its sights. However, company chief executive Steve Jobs has said that battery life on 3G devices has thus far proven too poor to commission a release.

"We've got to see the battery lives for 3G get back up into the five-plus-hour range,'' he said last September during the UK iPhone launch. "Hopefully we'll see that late next year.''

Since then, however, reports from at least one mainstream media publication have suggested a 3G iPhone could be ready for market by late May or early June. AT&T Inc. chief executive Randall Stephenson has also vouched for the arrival of a 3G iPhone in the near term, claiming in November that customers would "have it next year."

In some related news out of AT&T on Wednesday, the company also said its plans to complete the nation's first High Speed Uplink Packet Access (HSUPA)-enabled network by the middle of the year.

The deployment of HSUPA is the next step in the evolution of its 3G network with further enhancements and speed boosts expected in the near future. This year's HSUPA deployment will complete the transition of the AT&T 3G network to High Speed Packet Access (HSPA) standards, the carrier said, marking the only full transition by any wireless provider in the United States to this latest generation of wireless broadband capabilities.

"From the beginning, our wireless network has been designed with the future in mind," said de la Vega. "The capabilities of 3G standards will continue to expand over the next several years, enabling us to stay well ahead of our customers' broadband needs."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 102
    Sounds good to me, so, what speeds are the other carriers currently able to reach right now. I know Sprint and Verizon have speedy networks but don't know what their d-load speeds are at.

I was already predicting that Apple's 3G phone won't happen til' early 2009 and I still stand by that.
  • Reply 2 of 102
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nofear1az View Post

I was already predicting that Apple's 3G phone won't happen til' early 2009 and I still stand by that.

I'd say that prediction is off because of S.J.'s statement that 3G modules with Apple's required power specs won't hit the market till early '08.
  • Reply 3 of 102
    Wow the US enters the 21st century.
  • Reply 4 of 102
    crebcreb Posts: 276member
    Well, I hope that AT&T lives up to its word as they have supposedly been upgrading all along (and like Edge's actual speed be prepared for the same with 3G). The problem is AT&T's shotgun effect of upgrading 3G. Apple also needs to get a clue, and provide an extended battery for those who want extended battery life.
  • Reply 5 of 102
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    wait! iPhone Pro coming?

why they released 16gb iPhone if 3G is coming soon? i do not understand the logic, i guess 3g is far away with 16g addition
  • Reply 6 of 102
    Won't installing a 3G radio break the iPhone's world phone-ness? My understanding is that the US/AT&T uses different 3G frequencies from at least the countries in Europe and in order to fit all of the radios in the case others will have to come out. This was my experience with a a Motorola V3XX, at least.
  • Reply 7 of 102
    HSDPA/HUSPA (down/upstream) = 7.2Mbit/2.0Mbit... (HSDPA has several speed bumps, at 7.2Mbit, 3.6Mbit, 1.8Mbit) but my guess is that at&t put the latest HSDPA in their new cell towers, bumping the speed to 7.2/2.0Mbit
  • Reply 8 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by richmc View Post

Won't installing a 3G radio break the iPhone's world phone-ness? My understanding is that the US/AT&T uses different 3G frequencies from at least the countries in Europe and in order to fit all of the radios in the case others will have to come out. This was my experience with a a Motorola V3XX, at least.

Band I (W-CDMA 2100) in Europe and Asia (Brazilian and Canadian mobile carriers will deploy W-CDMA 2100 as well)

Band IV (W-CDMA 1700) in America (T-Mobile)

Band V (W-CDMA 850) in Australia (Telstra NextG), Brazil (Telemig Celular and Claro) and Canada (Rogers Wireless)

Band VIII (W-CDMA 900) in Europe (e.g. Elisa Oyj)

1900 / 850 (independently, for both the uplink and downlink) for the United States (AT&T Mobility)

good cell hardware is quad band for UMTS/HSDPA/HUSPA

the 3G iphone will work in north america as it will in europe, even australia... only if non W-CDMA is used the 2nd generation iphone will not be able to connect... but since roaming is still very expensive this is all very theoretical, unless one gets local SIM-card and avoids the roaming charges... that's the major advantage over sprint and the other providers using CDMA/TDMA in the USA, their hardware can not change their programmed provider... GSM/UMTS(HSDPA) is the way to go and in the long run the providers will switch to SIM-card based systems! hardware si cheaper and roaming charges from travelers can be collected...
  • Reply 9 of 102
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bobo Decosta View Post

Wow the US enters the 21st century.

No - just AT&T.
  • Reply 10 of 102
    To the guy that stands by his 2009 prediction, you are probably the closest of them all but only off by about 3 years. 3G is more than just base stations, it is billing systems, all new radios, all new infrastructure. The experts in the field, i.e. the European operators took only 7 years to get it almost correct and you think AT&T, the worse operator in the world will do it in 2. Good luck. Now I know why the iPhone was launched in the US. Apparently gullible people are easier to fool outright. Did anyone see Apple file with the FCC for licenses for the 3G radios in the new 3G iPhone? Nope, didn't think so. This takes about 6 months to a year as well.

Stick to EDGE. This is suited to the slower way of thinking. Apple and AT&T have been jerking you guys around and you fall for it hook line and sinker every time. In the mean time, Nokia will release its new TS UI phones that they have had on the shelf to see if they were marketable (kudos to Apple for show the world is now ready for TS UI), and their new Ovi music/social networking service.

By the way, EDGE uses more power than 3G. Don't forget to believe the Apple lie about this too.
  • Reply 11 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smokeonit View Post

Band I (W-CDMA 2100) in Europe and Asia (Brazilian and Canadian mobile carriers will deploy W-CDMA 2100 as well)

Band IV (W-CDMA 1700) in America (T-Mobile)

Band V (W-CDMA 850) in Australia (Telstra NextG), Brazil (Telemig Celular and Claro) and Canada (Rogers Wireless)

Band VIII (W-CDMA 900) in Europe (e.g. Elisa Oyj)

1900 / 850 (independently, for both the uplink and downlink) for the United States (AT&T Mobility)

good cell hardware is quad band for UMTS/HSDPA/HUSPA

the 3G iphone will work in north america as it will in europe, even australia... only if non W-CDMA is used the 2nd generation iphone will not be able to connect... but since roaming is still very expensive this is all very theoretical, unless one gets local SIM-card and avoids the roaming charges... that's the major advantage over sprint and the other providers using CDMA/TDMA in the USA, their hardware can not change their programmed provider... GSM/UMTS(HSDPA) is the way to go and in the long run the providers will switch to SIM-card based systems! hardware si cheaper and roaming charges from travelers can be collected...

Quick lesson.

Your statement: "the 3G iphone will work in north america as it will in europe, even australia... only if non W-CDMA is used the 2nd generation iphone will not be able to connect." The iPhone will connect to all GSM networks. Not the 3G networks, but will fall back to EDGE (if they make it EDGE capable still), and GSM networks. This is standard for any phone.

You say: "UMTS/HSDPA/HUSPA".

Answer: That's only two bands but for the sake of argument, I will assume you include GSM as well. Here you are talking about 900/1800mhz, as well as the US frequencies, i.e. 850mhz.

You say: "but since roaming is still very expensive this is all very theoretical, unless one gets local SIM-card and avoids the roaming charges... that's the major advantage over sprint and the other providers using CDMA/TDMA in the USA, their hardware can not change their programmed provider... GSM/UMTS(HSDPA) is the way to go and in the long run the providers will switch to SIM-card based systems! hardware si cheaper and roaming charges from travelers can be collected..."

Answer: Sorry but this is not theoretical. Europe has been a one SIM card user almost from the beginning. I have one SIM and I use my one phone (Nokia) all over the world, and I use my unlocked iPhone all over the world as well via ONE SIM card. SOOOOOOOOOO........ you are a bit incorrect in much of what you said but at least you are thinking.
  • Reply 12 of 102
    Even in Des Moines, a city of over half a million people, AT&T is still the only provider that has no 3G service. I've seen three different articles on AT&T's planned expansion, and none of them have given a list of cities they plan to expand to. I really hope that Des Moines is one of them.

I mean, I can't imagine Apple would be too happy selling a 3G iPhone at their West Des Moines store knowing that their customers will be limited to EDGE speeds. Apple certainly won't sell a 3G iPhone that doesn't work in their own stores!
  • Reply 13 of 102
    I hope they hurry up a bit because Europe is waiting for a 3G iPhone! I just broke my 3G phone this weekend and I refuse to buy an iPhone without 3G. How cool the iPhone is right now it still looks like a yesterdays phone without 3G.
  • Reply 14 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bobo Decosta View Post

I hope they hurry up a bit because Europe is waiting for a 3G iPhone! I just broke my 3G phone this weekend and I refuse to buy an iPhone without 3G. How cool the iPhone is right now it still looks like a yesterdays phone without 3G.

Actually, you are correct. If you remove the UI and just look at the technology, the iPhone is 3 to 4 years old. Smart marketing and not so bright customers make for rich Apple/AT&T. Go take a look at Nokia's N82 or even the N81. These are "real" smartphone, offering real functionality.
  • Reply 15 of 102
    ahmlcoahmlco Posts: 432member
    According to the latest chart from AT&T, 38 states currently have some form of 3G support, though in many access is limited to just a handful of major metropolitan areas.

Until we have a network to run it on, having 3G in an iPhone is like owning a Ferrari in the middle of a sandy desert. Nice to look at, but it's not going to take you anywhere.
  • Reply 16 of 102
    wallywally Posts: 211member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

Quick lesson.

Your statement: "the 3G iphone will work in north america as it will in europe, even australia... only if non W-CDMA is used the 2nd generation iphone will not be able to connect." The iPhone will connect to all GSM networks. Not the 3G networks, but will fall back to EDGE (if they make it EDGE capable still), and GSM networks. This is standard for any phone.

You say: "UMTS/HSDPA/HUSPA".

Answer: That's only two bands but for the sake of argument, I will assume you include GSM as well. Here you are talking about 900/1800mhz, as well as the US frequencies, i.e. 850mhz.

You say: "but since roaming is still very expensive this is all very theoretical, unless one gets local SIM-card and avoids the roaming charges... that's the major advantage over sprint and the other providers using CDMA/TDMA in the USA, their hardware can not change their programmed provider... GSM/UMTS(HSDPA) is the way to go and in the long run the providers will switch to SIM-card based systems! hardware si cheaper and roaming charges from travelers can be collected..."

Answer: Sorry but this is not theoretical. Europe has been a one SIM card user almost from the beginning. I have one SIM and I use my one phone (Nokia) all over the world, and I use my unlocked iPhone all over the world as well via ONE SIM card. SOOOOOOOOOO........ you are a bit incorrect in much of what you said but at least you are thinking.

Congratulations! You just won the award for snottiest post ever! To claim your reward, simply blow your nose in some tissue, then hang the tissue on the wall!

P.S. I am fully aware of the potential hypocrisy of my post... I just had to say something...
  • Reply 17 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wally View Post

Congratulations! You just won the award for snottiest post ever! To claim your reward, simply blow your nose in some tissue, then hang the tissue on the wall!

P.S. I am fully aware of the potential hypocrisy of my post... I just had to say something...

No problems. I have a cold anyway. Thanks for the suggestion.

My response was probably due to day in and day out hearing how Apple and AT&T are doing all they can to help the customer and people buy it. Apple and AT&T is a biz who's loyalty is to the shareholder first and foremost. Bottom line.

To the OP, take heart, you are not the only one to have believed this line before.

Snotty attitude rescinded but factual info remains.
  • Reply 18 of 102
    Quote:

"From the beginning, our wireless network has been designed with the future in mind," said de la Vega. "The capabilities of 3G standards will continue to expand over the next several years, enabling us to stay well ahead of our customers' broadband needs."

Even if they could come out with 4G next month, developers would respond with applications to make all that bandwidth too slow by end of summer.

U.S. wireless providers make their money by giving customers only subsistence level service -- just enough to get by and stay a nose ahead of the competition. It's a sick situation in which customers' broadband needs will never be met.

We don't need a new iPhone; we need a new wireless industry.
  • Reply 19 of 102
    amac4meamac4me Posts: 282member
    Things are lining up nicely that favor a 3G iPhone launch by June. Will Apple release a 32GB 3G iPhone at that time? I think so.
  • Reply 20 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

No problems. I have a cold anyway. Thanks for the suggestion.

My response was probably due to day in and day out hearing how Apple and AT&T are doing all they can to help the customer and people buy it. Apple and AT&T is a biz who's loyalty is to the shareholder first and foremost. Bottom line.

To the OP, take heart, you are not the only one to have believed this line before.

Snotty attitude rescinded but factual info remains.

People complain about 3G, yet Wifi is much faster than 3G anyways. If you can't find a wifi signal somewhere close by, you must live in the desert!

iPhone has wifi, and the iPhone safari browser loads pages much faster on EDGE than Nokia "smart"phones load pages on 3G! What does that tell you? Believing Nokia, or the typical Apple-bashers lies now are we?