Rumor: possible Apple event brewing for late February

Comments

• Reply 21 of 117
    SDK stands for "Software Development Kit". When Apple puts this out it will allow 2nd party developers make programs for the iPhone and Touch. These applications will run nativlely on the device and not as a web app. Pretty sweet really. Now all those native apps available to Jailbroken phones will be available to us who are to scared to Jailbreak our iPhones.
  • Reply 22 of 117
    I was surprised to see Apple pull out of NAB so i wouldn't be surprised to see Apple actually release their FinalCut Sever.
  • Reply 23 of 117
    My Mini, like Ryanair and Ronseal, did exactly what it said on the tin, and I loved it.

I would not be surprised if it had more fans and more customers than people realise. Maybe not dead, maybe just not high-margin enough to develop and upgrade the hell out of it.

http://img105.imageshack.us/img105/4...lsignedvu6.jpg
  • Reply 24 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Banalltv View Post

My Mini, like Ryanair and Ronseal, did exactly what it said on the tin, and I loved it...

I would not be surprised if it had more fans and more customers than people realise. Maybe not dead, maybe just not high-margin enough to develop and upgrade the hell out of it.

http://img105.imageshack.us/img105/4...lsignedvu6.jpg

Maybe we will see Apple take the MS and Dell approach to branding and marketing! Best way to gain 80% marketshare and fill in all the niches!

Rebranded Products:

OSX Leopard Cat 10.5 eXtreme Edition XXX!

OSX Leopard Cat 10.5 Ultimate

OSX Leopard Cat 10.5 Corporate and Pro Edition

OSX Leopard Cat 10.5 Lite

OSX Leopard Cat 10.5 Lite Pro for Home Use

OSX Leopard Cat 10.5 Pro for Lite Use

Macbook 365 iLive Edition

Macbook 366 iLeap Edition Extreme!

Mac Mini Student & Office Pro

Mac Mini Corporate Ultra Pro

Mac Mini Corporate Pro Extreme!

Macbook Pro 3490pv i890R

Macbook Pro HT Extreme! 3780 i898Rs

Macbook Pro Extreme! Pro 3670 i892R

Mac Longtitude i8600 Magellan (formerly iMac)

Mac Longtitude i8600 XDS Magellan (formerly iMac 24")

Fffe900 UMPC (formerly the MBA)

iLake 800ps (formerly iPod Classic)

iPod eXtreme!!! (formely iPod Touch)

Zoom Phone Intelligent Phone (formerly iPhone)

Don't forget, apple will get all trendy on us on offer Avant Garde design, such as offering lime green and fire truck red laptops! Also the backs of the iMacs and Macbooks will have intricate paterns mimicing swirls and other patterns which are so artsy. Everyone will be able to tell that Apple finally "gets it"!

• Reply 25 of 117
    bwikbwik Posts: 565member
    Is there something wrong with the iMac for enterprise?

Most enterprise workstations (>99%) are stock machines with simple video, modest ram, word processing/email/Excel and that's it. 99%. iMac can handle that.

The iMac is no server but as a node, it is one of the best.

About this event.... I really think Apple should focus on the TV appliance market. Go deep.
  • Reply 26 of 117
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bwik View Post

Most enterprise workstations (>99%) are stock machines with simple video, modest ram, word processing/email/Excel and that's it. 99%. iMac can handle that.

About this event.... I really think Apple should focus on the TV appliance market. Go deep.

It's not about the performance, it's about the vendor lock in. There is also an issue with the price compared to cheaper solutions and the all-in-one issue. If I was in charge of a large corp. I wouldn't even consider Macs as workstations.
  • Reply 27 of 117
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    Quote:

For most uses, the iMac is overpowered. Being an All-in-one machine is probably an issue too - companies can't (economically) use existing monitors and they're harder to fix as they're more compact than standard workstation.

To get into the SMB/enterprise market Apple need to really innovate both in hardware and software. They need to offer 100% windows compatibility, all the profiles for restricting user access and they need to make a really good case for them being a good investment. Boot Camp is not good enough for business... (unless the machine is Windows only)

On the hardware front they need to produce a form factor that companies are used to and can service internally to some degree. I'm sure they can play with the standard workstation design and come up with something great.

They've even got the product name 'Mac' just waiting for them! Using 'Mac' would make a very clear statement about the product's intended reach - a computer for the majority as it were...

Mac Mini -> Mac -> iMac -> Mac Pro

Isn't this speculation fun!
  • Reply 28 of 117
    Cramer says sell apple so it must be time to BUY.March will be lookin good .
  • Reply 29 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eduardo View Post

Alright! Leather cases for the iPhone and iPod Touch!

LMAO!
  • Reply 30 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drjjones View Post

Cramer puts the "schmu" in schmuck.
  • Reply 31 of 117
    Quote:

But those simple (Windows based) enterprise workstations are available for half the price of an iMac... even after purchasing a monitor. (Though odds are they've already got an adequate monitor to use.)

Quote:

That's just it... As a node, the iMac is overkill.
  • Reply 32 of 117
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Really? I have learned a lot and made a lot by lisening to Cramer. I sure hope isn't right because I'm not selling!
  • Reply 33 of 117
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,731member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MiMiC View Post

I would love to see an iMac with SSD + HDD!

You wouldn't like the price. And the performance would be disappointing.
  • Reply 34 of 117
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StuBeck View Post

A finished version of Leopard?

No, it's the iPhone SDK.
  • Reply 35 of 117
    I'm in the camp going for the iPhone/touch SDK as the primary reason for the little get together with Steve J.

That doesn't mean that Steve can't deliver other interesting releases - he's been known to come up with a "one more thing" now and then.

I wouldn't be surprised if some new products are waiting for 10.5.2 for one reason or another. MBPs come to mind, especially if it is tied to something new from Intel.

WIth the economy looking to be rough in 2008 I also wouldn't be surprised to see Apple delivering something new or upgraded every month, regardless of it was a minor or major announcement.
  • Reply 36 of 117
    suhailsuhail Posts: 192member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheToe View Post

For the enterprise, the desktop Apple would need to produce would be a mini-tower. Same as the Mac mini, but with some PCI slots, and maybe without so many wireless options.

You mean something like an xMac? What a brilliant idea, why didn't I think of that!
  • Reply 37 of 117
    ibillibill Posts: 400member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Cramer puts the "schmu" in schmuck.

What a coincidence, Cramer also puts the "too" in tool..
  • Reply 38 of 117
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:

Forward p/e is down to about 24.

Plenty of time to lighten up downside hedges

before numbnuts issues a buy for AAPL in August.
  • Reply 39 of 117
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Really? I have learned a lot and made a lot by lisening to Cramer. I sure hope isn't right because I'm not selling!

Clearly you also ignored his continuous touting of SHLD, NY stock exchange,

and numerous other losers.
  • Reply 40 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdotdubz View Post

Maybe we will see Apple take the MS and Dell approach to branding and marketing! Best way to gain 80% marketshare and fill in all the niches!

Rebranded Products:

OSX Leopard Cat 10.5 eXtreme Edition XXX!

OSX Leopard Cat 10.5 Ultimate

OSX Leopard Cat 10.5 Corporate and Pro Edition

OSX Leopard Cat 10.5 Lite

OSX Leopard Cat 10.5 Lite Pro for Home Use

OSX Leopard Cat 10.5 Pro for Lite Use

You mean like if Microsoft had been in charge of marketing the iPod:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeXAcwriid0&eurl=