Rumor: possible Apple event brewing for late February

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 117
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Now was that so hard?

Thanks for admitting your distortion.

I disagree with your point, (and I'd also like to point out that no one quibbled iPhone and iPod Touch price quotes, since that is what was just released) but people are likely to find your argument more persuasive when you don't twist the facts.

So congrats!
  • Reply 102 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Excuse if I come across to pedantic here but having an entire group disagree with you doesn't make you wrong. If Teckstud is unable to prove his point then he has two viable options. He can either drop the subject altogether or attempt to come at it from n entirely different perspective.

That said, I agree with your logic and examples in regard to Teckstud's argument, Rozilla.

This is true. But I will say that I was not in reference to his original statement which was, at its root, true. It was just misleading, like propaganda. And when we called him out on that, he professed that it was not. That is where he is incorrect. Now, if he can somehow create a well thought out and logical argument, then maybe he could show us that we are wrong. Yet he hasn't done that in his several responses. Instead of this, or just admitting his mistake and owning up to what he did, he attempts to project us as somehow incompetent and, now, overly sensitive.

So wrong may be the wrong term. I apologize for that. Just because someone disagrees with me doesn't make them wrong or somehow any less intelligent than more... nor does it make them more intelligent.

This has been a very special forum post. Now lets all go for some chai and lemon pound cake.
  • Reply 103 of 117
    shogunshogun Posts: 362member
    Quote:

having an entire group disagree with you doesn't make you wrong.

But it is a good indicator that something is awry... a sign that maybe the lone individual should take another look.
  • Reply 104 of 117
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shogun View Post

But it is a good indicator that something is awry... a sign that maybe the lone individual should take another look.

While in most cases the lone voice will likely be wrong I would never discourage anyone to change their viewpoint just to go with the crowd. While I tend not to agree with Teckstud I do admire how resolute he is.

There are many examples of where few were right and most were wrong. Mostly what comes to mind are based on science. Id est, the Earth being the center of the Universe, the Earth being flat, the nature of illnesses, etc.

There are many other examples that would be based on the environment?not the era? you are in. For example, if you were in a kindergarten in North America the majority would think Santa Claus is real. That example may seem like I'm stretching it here but I wanted to demonstrate the relativity of the situation also can have a profound affect.

That is neither here no there. If he thinks he is correct he needs to find to better way to expressing it. I hate to use clichés but I think it may work here.
    "The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success." ~ Bruce Feirstein
  • Reply 105 of 117
    So what are the chances that there will be a new iMac released/presented at the end of the month? (I am curious, and this thread needs to get back on topic).
  • Reply 106 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Staedtler View Post

So what are the chances that there will be a new iMac released/presented at the end of the month? (I am curious, and this thread needs to get back on topic).

No one here knows, but precedence says soon.
  • Reply 107 of 117
    nceencee Posts: 858member
    Or maybe nothing, as the event hasn't even been scheduled yet?

maybe Steve boy, is checking this list, to see what people ask for most???

Ok, folks, lets ask for what we really NEED - and then start another list for what we really WANT - then Steve will have a choice of what to give us now

"That which will sell best, and boost the stock price"!

Skip
  • Reply 108 of 117
    Wow. I have no idea what the hell is going on in this thread. Seems to have taken a sharp nosedive as of Page 2 of this thread.
  • Reply 109 of 117
    I believe there will be an event on Feb 26th, I just did a check on my orders from Apple and the Timecapsule is slated to start shipping on Feb 26th. So I think the following will be presented at the event:

1) Timecapsule shipping

2) iPhone SDK

3) Apple TV software update

4) OSX 10.5.2 update (to support all of the announcements)

5) A highlight of new movie rentals which will dramatically increase when the Apple TV update is announced.

I don't believe there will be a MacBook Pro update, as it would cannibalize the just shipped Air. That would be announced in late March or early April.
  • Reply 110 of 117
    just a couple of weeks, i dont know if Im gonna make it. I cant wait to get an iphone!!!!
  • Reply 111 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EMoeller View Post

I believe there will be an event on Feb 26th, I just did a check on my orders from Apple and the Timecapsule is slated to start shipping on Feb 26th. So I think the following will be presented at the event:

1) Timecapsule shipping

2) iPhone SDK

3) Apple TV software update

4) OSX 10.5.2 update (to support all of the announcements)

5) A highlight of new movie rentals which will dramatically increase when the Apple TV update is announced.

I don't believe there will be a MacBook Pro update, as it would cannibalize the just shipped Air. That would be announced in late March or early April.

1) I don't think Steve Jobs will talk about the Time Capsule, even if it does ship on that day.

2) I think this is the best bet should this event pan out.

3) Out today

4) Out yesterday

5) I don't think so. Apple already talked about movie rentals.

I don't believe it would cannibalize the sales of air because they are two very different machines. Even if it MIGHT, that didn't stop Apple from releasing the iPod touch (which many people believe(d) would cannibalize iPhone sales). However, I suspect we will see the MacBook Pro updates in a week. There wont be a need for a whole redesign. Speed bumps, multitouch trackpad, so on and so forth. Unless they redesign the case (which I don't see happening as it is a good design and made of recyclable materials).

I don't see Apple holding an event for just the SDK so there has to be something else...but what? What does Steve Jobs have up his sleeve?
  • Reply 112 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by luckygyrl83 View Post

just a couple of weeks, i dont know if Im gonna make it. I cant wait to get an iphone!!!!

Why not get one now? They were just updated. We wont see another one for at least several months. Apple wont announce the 3G one until they absolutely have to so they don't see a drop in sales of current iPhones.
  • Reply 113 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogzilla View Post

Why not get one now? They were just updated. We wont see another one for at least several months. Apple wont announce the 3G one until they absolutely have to so they don't see a drop in sales of current iPhones.

Is that they think will be out in a couple weeks?

Besides the release of the 16GB model there is absolutely no indication that Apple has filed for FCC approval for an iPhone with any 3G chip. Unless Apple has found a way to sneak it by undetected or can grease the slow FCC wheels it'll be at least 6 weeks between our knowledge of the device and its release among the drooling masses.
  • Reply 114 of 117
    Quote:

Is that they think will be out in a couple weeks?

Besides the release of the 16GB model there is absolutely no indication that Apple has filed for FCC approval for an iPhone with any 3G chip. Unless Apple has found a way to sneak it by undetected or can grease the slow FCC wheels it'll be at least 6 weeks between our knowledge of the device and its release among the drooling masses.

I really don't know what people are expecting to see in so far as an iPhone revision. At least a 3G upgrade. Ideally don't see it happening this month after the memory bump.

Maybe Newton II or the ever mythic (and much desired by me) Mac touch. Either I think are far more likely than an iPhone update or announcemet at this point.
  • Reply 115 of 117
    svnippsvnipp Posts: 430member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Thank you for your analysis however flawed and simplistic it may be.

Again why do you infer to deny that Apple introduced a new $3,100 laptop? Would you state that Apple's iPod price is $79 if some asked you how much an iPod cost- as in a shuffle?

If I 'm wrong than so are you- you're low balling it as much as I'm high balling it.

I'm reluctant to put my foot into this but... Teckstud you are definitely being misleading. Are you a marketing major or something? I think the general marketing strategy for new products be it computers, cars, houses, whatever, is to list the starting price of the item. Granted, most of these advertising commercials have a disclaimer indicating that this is a starting price, but I think the general consumer has learned over the years that an advertised price on an item is most likely the "starting price". The common exception to this is when a company is offering a "special option package", but nobody advertises exclusively their product at only the maxed out configuration. The closest advertising comes to this is when a company lists a price range including both the highest and lowest price.

You also mentioned that the Mac Air is too expensive. This product has a "starting price" of $1800. IBM recently announced a similar laptop soon to be released and the estimated "starting price" for that product is $2500-2800, so how is the Mac Air just incredibly expensive? Similar products and yet the "starting price" on the Mac will be as much as $1000 less than the IBM product.

Just my thoughts on the thread.
  • Reply 116 of 117
    svnippsvnipp Posts: 430member
    Hey... The iMac is due for an update too. With all the expectations swirling around the MBP, it would be a pretty big surprise to see a new iMac update come rolling out.

Just a thought.
  • Reply 117 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eAi View Post

On the side note, I don't see Apple killing the Mac Mini yet - perhaps they're waiting till they considering the Apple TV to be a worthy replacement for it. That said, I'm not even sure I see them killing it off at all - perhaps a redesign though?

The Mac Mini is an ideal rack mount machine for those of us who can't afford or want an XServe. I've been using one in a cohosting facility for a couple years now. Honestly, I don't know why it gets maligned so much. It's the only machine in its price category and works great if you don't want all the bells and whistles of a big desktop model.