MacBook Pros running dry in the channel ahead of refreshes

Comments

• Reply 21 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Sorry, no tablet, especially when another portable nice device was jsut released from Apple.

2008 has already brought us: New Mac Pros, Time Capsule, AppleTV 2.0 w/ lowered prices, Movie rentals, Mac OS X 10.5.2, Mobile OS X 1.1.3, updates to most Apple-made apps, and larger capacity iPod Touch/iPhones. Did I leave something out?

Didn't Jobs say in the MacWorld KeyNote to expect a lot from Apple this year? So far, he has lived up to that. Why would the fact that they have releases every week evidence that they wont release a tablet device? I think this is going to be the year we see Apple make their strongest push so far, a tablet would only add to that.

And since I think the tablet will appeal to a different niche than the air, I don't see that as reason enough to believe it wont happen this year. If anything, it shows Apple is more willing to appeal to niches such as tablet users.Stake their claim into every major niche. Here are the ones they are in so far: Budget (Mac Mini), All in one (iMac...hell they really created this niche), Power house (Mac Pro), Consumer laptop (MacBook), Professional laptop (MacBook Pro), and UltraPortable Laptop(MacBook air). Adding a tablet to their range gives them one more way to appeal to the larger market. Will they add a consumer level customizeable tower niche? Not their style really...but you never know.
  • Reply 22 of 167
    Quote:

Welcome to AI, damien0013. Don't get impatient and get one before the refresh.

Would you mind using a link to your screenshot instead of that large image. Small images are fine, but those large ones are visually distracting and make it difficult for those of slower connections to load the page.

Surely sir.

And I've been waiting patiently for.... hmmm.. what is it now? 3 MONTHS? I can wait a few more days.

Its the only reason I haven't spent my tax return yet

I visited the apple store recently actually and they STILL straight up denied the refresh coming. I had to use my "quote" fingers and a lot of IF's in my questions to get any real feedback. They said IF you buy one now and IF the refresh comes out... lol just as long as you don't open the old one there's no restocking fee. Of course I wasn't interested in buying one at the time.. just wanted to see their reaction to the questions... lol which went from play-stupid to Christ-other-customers-in-the-store-can-hear-this-conversation

• Reply 23 of 167
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogzilla View Post

Didn't Jobs say in the MacWorld KeyNote to expect a lot from Apple this year? So far, he has lived up to that. Why would the fact that they have releases every week evidence that they wont release a tablet device? I think this is going to be the year we see Apple make their strongest push so far, a tablet would only add to that.

He says something along those lines every year. It's just your typical hyperbolical claims that all marketers make. Perhaps you are right, but I have seen no indication that Apple will be releasing another niche computer a month after the Air arrived. If there is one waiting in the wings, I think it will not be announced until the next MacWorld. I think the SDK and iPhone/iPod Touch related news are the most probable for the 26th, assuming that rumour coming to fruition. Isn't speculation fun?
  • Reply 24 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by damien0013 View Post

Surely sir.

And I've been waiting patiently for.... hmmm.. what is it now? 3 MONTHS? I can wait a few more days.

Its the only reason I haven't spent my tax return yet

I visited the apple store recently actually and they STILL straight up denied the refresh coming. I had to use my "quote" fingers and a lot of IF's in my questions to get any real feedback. They said IF you buy one now and IF the refresh comes out... lol just as long as you don't open the old one there's no restocking fee. Of course I wasn't interested in buying one at the time.. just wanted to see their reaction to the questions... lol which went from play-stupid to Christ-other-customers-in-the-store-can-hear-this-conversation

Apple Store employees don't know anything about future Apple product unless they follow these sites, and still, its just an assumption. It's like asking a McDonald's drive-thru employee when the McRib will be back.
  • Reply 25 of 167
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Panu View Post

The MacBook Pro is the only computer in the line that does not have the new keyboard. It is also the only one in the line that has not been redesigned. It has the same case as the PowerBook.

I predict the new MacBook Pros will sport a new keyboard, possibly identical to the present Bluetooth keyboard, and a subtly new case that will have a family resemblance to the MacBook Air.

I hope not. I have the new wireless keyboard but I prefer the one in the current MBP. Even if there is a new case design, what I would take advantage of is an older reconditioned model. I like the features of the MBP, but I don't need the CPU power. I really don't need one yet though, just a desire.
  • Reply 26 of 167
    Quote:

The rumoured event is slated for Feburary 26th. I think it will be the SDK and other things that compliment the iPhone. And I'm hoping that Apple will announce a 3G iPhone due out in 6-8 weeks. Remember, it has to get through the FCC so it's going to be known from one source or another, so it might as well be from Jobs.

I tend to agree - SDK focussed and anything related to that.

Quote:

Sorry, no tablet, especially when another highly portable niche device was just released from Apple.

Unless the tablet runs the iPhone OS and thus the same SDK. While I think it'd be weird for Apple to hold off a tablet release from MacWorld, it would target an entirely different niche to the MBA.

Apple called the iPod Touch their "Mainstream Wi-Fi Mobile Platform", we don't know what else is on that platform. An iPod Touch that is 50% bigger is entirely possible, perhaps even 100% bigger but I think there's value in keeping the short edge of a new Touch the same size as the long edge of the current Touch/iPhone.

Back to MBPro topic.... it's great to hear that a product refresh is likely soon. Perhaps we'll see it in a Tuesday update, if Apple is trying to keep its messages simple.
  • Reply 27 of 167
    I bet it will have the same black keyed keyboard as the MacBook Air. Makes financial sense to supply the same across the line as well as the larger trackpad. New processors, bumped graphics GPU but that is about it.
  • Reply 28 of 167
    Quote:

Oh now this is just SCREAMING it. That's it, I am taking bets. :-P

this means they're two weeks out - so that apple won't have to upgrade all the units sold on rebate!
  • Reply 29 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onceuponamac View Post

this means they're two weeks out - so that apple won't have to upgrade all the units sold on rebate!

Why would the Apple Store's 14 day return policy apply to Amazon.com?

Besides, its Amazon offering those rebates, not Apple. Apple isn't loosing any money there. Besides, Amazon does this just before the last product upgrade, didn't they? I recall hearing similar rebates that ended the day before speed bumps were announced.
  • Reply 30 of 167
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

solipsism

What!? Honda engines and transmissions are great. I am trying to get the the frm specs on the Ariel Atom's chassis and suspension so I can build my own with Honda Civic Type-R engine with Rotex supercharger. The Atom is virtually impossible to come by in the States with a Type-R engine. Sometimes it's better to be East of the pond.

Unfortunately, it was my bad luck. I have the 2001 Odyssey model with the bad transmission. They actually extended the warranty 7 years or 109K miles for that particular model of Honda due to factory defect in the transmission for Odyssey and other models. Mine have 113K miles, that just show you how bad my luck is.
  • Reply 31 of 167
    I dont get it.. Amazon is not associted to apple besides business partner. So Amazon should have their own stock of computers and is not affected by Apple's shortage. So how is this two linked?
  • Reply 32 of 167
    Some MacBook Pro movkups while you wait...
    Some are sexy and some are humourous. If there is a change to the case I think that Matthew W. (pic 10 of 16) has the closest design, sans the F-22 Raptor lines.
  • Reply 33 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

I tend to agree - SDK focussed and anything related to that.

Unless the tablet runs the iPhone OS and thus the same SDK. While I think it'd be weird for Apple to hold off a tablet release from MacWorld, it would target an entirely different niche to the MBA.

Apple called the iPod Touch their "Mainstream Wi-Fi Mobile Platform", we don't know what else is on that platform. An iPod Touch that is 50% bigger is entirely possible, perhaps even 100% bigger but I think there's value in keeping the short edge of a new Touch the same size as the long edge of the current Touch/iPhone.

Back to MBPro topic.... it's great to hear that a product refresh is likely soon. Perhaps we'll see it in a Tuesday update, if Apple is trying to keep its messages simple.

I will mention this one last time and allow this to die in this thread. This is what I expect, though it would be a more powerful version of the iPhone OS. A halfway point between Leopard and OStouch. I don't think we will see platform larger than 7" for a while and I don't think it will ever have an interface like a regular Mac unless it was docked. And yes, speculation is fun. As a writer/illustrator, I find my active imagination is ripe for it.

*loads his gun, aims and fires at the tablet topic*

OK, moving on. So yeah, MacBook Pros on tuesday?
  • Reply 34 of 167
    Quote:

And since I think the tablet will appeal to a different niche than the air, I don't see that as reason enough to believe it wont happen this year. If anything, it shows Apple is more willing to appeal to niches such as tablet users.Stake their claim into every major niche. Here are the ones they are in so far: Budget (Mac Mini), All in one (iMac...hell they really created this niche), Power house (Mac Pro), Consumer laptop (MacBook), Professional laptop (MacBook Pro), and UltraPortable Laptop(MacBook air). Adding a tablet to their range gives them one more way to appeal to the larger market. Will they add a consumer level customizeable tower niche? Not their style really...but you never know.

expect the stock price to climb with each announcement

gonna be a great year, even in a bear market!
  • Reply 35 of 167
    I called our local Apple store located in New Hampshire. I asked off the record if they could tell me if I should wait because I was interested in purchasing a Macbook Pro but didn't want a newer version released days later. He told me there was nothing definite, but if I were to purchase a Macbook Pro today I would have 14 days to return it. "IF" there was a new release I could exchange it without paying a restocking fee also. If you were to purchase one tomorrow your warranty would cover you until the end of February.

I don't mind waiting, but I don't want to wait another month to get a Macbook Pro. Does anyone know what the latest "release" date is now? 18th? 19th? I'd love to at least get an idea when I should visit.
  • Reply 36 of 167
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member
    Currently, Apple's onine store says all new MacBook Pro models ship within "24 hours." Shouldn't that say something like 3-5 days if they were going to announce new models this coming Tuesday? Would they risk a bunch of people wanting to return their machines if they purchased over the weekend and wanted the new model?

-Keith
  • Reply 37 of 167
    Whatever the update is I hope it has some serious flaws so I can get a refurb quicker
  • Reply 38 of 167
    panupanu Posts: 135member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Could you elaborate?

When Apple did the switch to Intel, there was no change to the exterior, other than what was dictated by the innards. The iMacs stayed white plastic, and the MacBook Pros were identical in appearance to PowerBooks. I went to a meeting last weekend at which I had a MacBook Pro and the guy next to me had a PowerBook. Couldn't tell the difference.

The MacBook Pros are the only ones with the same design as before the Intel switch. I think they will be updated, but minimally. New keyboard, new case, new latch, all to match the rest of the line.
  • Reply 39 of 167
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Looks like I gotta put mine up for sale sooner than I thought.
  • Reply 40 of 167
    panupanu Posts: 135member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Posty View Post

He told me there was nothing definite, but if I were to purchase a Macbook Pro today I would have 14 days to return it. "IF" there was a new release I could exchange it without paying a restocking fee also.

The Apple Store guy would lose his job if he told you anything on or off the record. He told you store policy, nothing more and nothing less. Do not take it as a clue to the release date of the new MacBook Pro. He gave you no guarantee. He even said IF. Play it safe and wait until the announcement. You don't want to buy it and find out that the release is 15 days after your purchase.