MacBook Pros running dry in the channel ahead of refreshes

Comments

• Reply 61 of 167
    Look even if they were to release a new MPB take a look at Apple's background. They always release promotions first, videos, tours, and make pre-orders able. If they were to "release" a new Macbook Pro you aren't going to magically see it on Tuesday. You'd only see an announcement that will notify you when it will be for sale and it's features. Apple isn't going to unannounced release a product upgrade without telling anyone. It's poor marketing, and you would upset likely everyone who just recently purchased a Macbook Pro this past month.

More than likely if they "release" anything on Tuesday it'll just be an advertisement and it won't actually be up for sale until 2-3 weeks later. I just wouldn't get high hopes for it to be released unannounced.
  • Reply 62 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Posty View Post

Look even if they were to release a new MPB take a look at Apple's background. They always release promotions first, videos, tours, and make pre-orders able. If they were to "release" a new Macbook Pro you aren't going to magically see it on Tuesday. You'd only see an announcement that will notify you when it will be for sale and it's features. Apple isn't going to unannounced release a product upgrade without telling anyone. It's poor marketing, and you would upset likely everyone who just recently purchased a Macbook Pro this past month.

More than likely if they "release" anything on Tuesday it'll just be an advertisement and it won't actually be up for sale until 2-3 weeks later. I just wouldn't get high hopes for it to be released unannounced.

Lol its just wishfull thinking guys

I know. I know.
  • Reply 63 of 167
    Quote:

Welcome to the board! If Apple announces it a MWSF or WWDC, it may be weeks before it ships. However, if Apple announces it on a Tuesday, it will be available immediately. If announced at an event (other than the above), it will most likely be available immediately. That's based on history.
  • Reply 64 of 167
    As I stated before Apple has a very smart marketing & advertising department. From a business and financial standpoint it'd be a giant mistake on Apple's part to make any new laptop; even a refresh/upgrade without making any notice. Besides financial it's upsetting to any customers who purchase a Macbook Pro now and only days later a new one is released. They're going to be overhauled in returns, exchanges, and getting rid of pre-opened/refurbished laptops. They would probably even lose profits if that was their marketing scheme. I don't know Apple's history too well, but I do recall certain items; Iphone, ipods, Leopard, etc. that were announced and had a release date; and were also able to be pre-ordered.

But, hey I could be wrong. I just would think it's laughable of their behalf to throw out a new laptop refresh with no announcement. I'm honestly trying to find a good reason why they'd spontaneously throw out a refresh without any advertising or announcement. It would be a great surprise, but they aren't known for surprises.
  • Reply 65 of 167
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Quote:

But, hey I could be wrong. I just would think it's laughable of their behalf to throw out a new laptop refresh with no announcement. I'm honestly trying to find a good reason why they'd spontaneously throw out a refresh without any advertising or announcement. It would be a great surprise, but they aren't known for surprises.

MacBook. It's happened.
  • Reply 66 of 167
    Yay Penryn 45nm 2.6ghz 2GB (expandable to 4 or 8??) ... 8600M GT 256mb and 512mb... ??

MACBOOK AIR - ESQUE DESIGN PLEASE OHHHH PLEASEEEEEE.

I agree with the previous poster, the MacBook Pro form factor is dated. It looks and feels clunky now. I never liked the design, even th Alubook G4s.

I had a Titanium G4 back in the day. Tres sweet. Or something like that.

Obviously as full-featured as possible, with as sexay a design as MacBook Air. Penryn it and that MacBook Pro will be flying out the door.

8700M GT as a graphics card and I will flush my PC down the toilet!! Games and Mac and everything yay!

Okay... calm down... calm down.

OH THE INSANITY
  • Reply 67 of 167
    Quote:

As I stated before Apple has a very smart marketing & advertising department. From a business and financial standpoint it'd be a giant mistake on Apple's part to make any new laptop; even a refresh/upgrade without making any notice. Besides financial it's upsetting to any customers who purchase a Macbook Pro now and only days later a new one is released. They're going to be overhauled in returns, exchanges, and getting rid of pre-opened/refurbished laptops. They would probably even lose profits if that was their marketing scheme. I don't know Apple's history too well, but I do recall certain items; Iphone, ipods, Leopard, etc. that were announced and had a release date; and were also able to be pre-ordered.

Umm.. isn't there a rumoured end of jasdhkj wjhd

oops... sorry cat on keyboard.

I was saying, isn't there a rumoured end of February event?

Also, refreshes happen all the time. Most places have price protection within 1 week, etc.

Previous-model stock goes very very fast because it is a great bargain for a lot of people who just don't feel like pony-ing up the cash for the latest and greatest.
  • Reply 68 of 167
    Quote:

The last time they updated the MacBook Pro (faster processessor, LED display, etc.) they issued a press release the same day the MBPs were available. I know because I read the news in the morning, went to the Apple store and had my MBP home and working by noon. That was June, 2007. The 5th, I think.
  • Reply 69 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by faxthat View Post

This is surprisingly good news for those of surviving at a Tuesday-to-Tuesday existence level.

every Tuesday. Maybe this one will be the day.
  • Reply 70 of 167
    Should we expect the unit to be in the stores or only in the apple store?
  • Reply 71 of 167
    Tuesday so far away
  • Reply 72 of 167
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

...with as sexay a design as MacBook Air...

I wouldn't count on a new MBP being significantly thinner/sexier than current models. Thin and sexy is MBA's thing. It's about the only thing it's got going for it. Everything else is a limiter (slow HD, limited ports, no optical drive, etc). MBA has good sales numbers, but by no means stellar. If Apple were to release a faster, full-featured MacBook Pro that was a lot thinner than the current design, they'd be cutting off the MBA at the knees.
  • Reply 73 of 167
    "The $3000 I have been saving for a MacBook Pro just got spent on replacing my car transmission. I hate Honda.

Nasser "

My sympathies... similar thing just happened to me, though my Honda is 13 years old, so I guess I shouldn't complain.
  • Reply 74 of 167
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Mac Keyboards: I absolutely hate the new keyboards. I'm sure the new MBP will have it and I need a new machine (my current Mac Tower is 8 years old), but it kills me to have to buy a machine with that keyboard. There's a reason why traditional keyboards (and prior Mac keyboards) have a little indentation on each key: it keeps your finger in place.

Doesn't anyone remember the PC Junior "chicklet" keyboard? It was a fiasco and it killed the machine. The new Mac keyboards aren't much better. I love Apple's usual design philosophy, but the machines have to be practical as well.

MacOSUpdates: Someone posted that Apple doesn't do updates for older machines. WHAT?? My machine is 8 years old and I'm on the 11th OS update just for 10.4 (10.4.11) and there have been an incredible number of patches, security updates and enhancements to the apps as well. The fact is that due to the updates, this 8 year old machine still does everything really well (including Photoshop) except for video download viewing. That's the difference between a Mac and all the other crap that's out there. At work, we wind up having to toss most PC laptops after two years.

Honda: I've never had a single problem with any Honda or Acura I've ever owned aside from a battery, tires and once, a muffler, except for an ignitor going right before I got the recall notice. Not only did Acura fix the ignitor, but they paid for about 60 miles in towing fees (and the car was out of warranty). My first Acura had about 140,000 miles on it when I sold it.

My current Accord is five years old. It doesn't have high mileage, but aside from oil changes, wiper blades and air in the tires, it's never been to the shop for anything.
  • Reply 75 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogzilla View Post

COME ON JOBS! DON'T MAKE ME BUY AN HP! I WILL CRY!

I couldn't have said it any better. I'd go back to my Duo 230 before I bought one.
  • Reply 76 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Panu View Post

The Apple Store guy would lose his job if he told you anything on or off the record. He told you store policy, nothing more and nothing less. Do not take it as a clue to the release date of the new MacBook Pro. He gave you no guarantee. He even said IF. Play it safe and wait until the announcement. You don't want to buy it and find out that the release is 15 days after your purchase.

Not to mention it doesn't mean that the model you want is going to be available the day the announcement is made. Apple has made announcements of fantastic top-of-the-line machines that didn't see the light of day for months, while the mediocre version was soon on the shelves. Admittedly, they do this better these days, but I wouldn't bet a couple grand of my money on it.
  • Reply 77 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zanshin View Post

Not to mention it doesn't mean that the model you want is going to be available the day the announcement is made. Apple has made announcements of fantastic top-of-the-line machines that didn't see the light of day for months, while the mediocre version was soon on the shelves.

Pre-intel days. Follow the Intel roadmap. everyone knows what is coming if they release a new MBP before Montevina. Penryn drop-in processor upgrade, some small case/feature changes.

With Montevina thermal envelope drops (a little) allowing more leeway in enclosure volume.

If we get a new MBP soon it is shipping day of announcement.
  • Reply 78 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I don't find that funny.

...I'm pretty sure it was a pretend gun, or maybe a nerf.
  • Reply 79 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cowerd View Post

Pre-intel days. Follow the Intel roadmap. everyone knows what is coming if they release a new MBP before Montevina. Penryn drop-in processor upgrade, some small case/feature changes.

With Montevina thermal envelope drops (a little) allowing more leeway in enclosure volume.

If we get a new MBP soon it is shipping day of announcement.

Umm, which is kinda why I qualified my statement by saying they do it better these days (the part you didn't quote). And if Apple has scheduled an event, and recently released a dramatic new design for lap-tops, there's no guarantee that the MBP form-factor of today may reappear as the faster MVP form-factor of the very-near future.

And recently there was supposed to be a release for the ATV that didn't come out on time, or Leopard being delayed for months....

Granted, that's software, not hardware, but Apple's hardware is uniquely tied to their software, and sometimes delays occur when a glitch manifests with a new hardware feature that doesn't play nice with the OS and i-apps, or your supply chain gets boogled by a bad run of widgets at the last minute.

All I was saying is you'd have to be very desperate to buy an existing Apple product today and gamble that you could replace it with a newer version in exactly 14 days because an event was scheduled.
  • Reply 80 of 167
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    The other thing about Amazon is that they'll have a pretty deep stock of the current models. The are still selling the MacBook Pro version with 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo and Tiger (here). Even if new MBPs show up at Apple stores on Tuesday, it doesn't necessarily mean Amazon will have them right away. And they certainly won't stop selling the older versions.