MacBook Pros running dry in the channel ahead of refreshes

Comments

• Reply 41 of 167
    panupanu Posts: 135member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jimzip View Post

I think he means as far as looks go, the MBP still very closely resembles the last line of powerbooks out there (PB G4). The only real difference is the I/O and the slightly less rounded corners on the MBP bezel and body.... Correct me if I misunderstood you Panu!

Jimzip

You read me right. However, just as the Dell laptops look like bathroom scales, the MacBook Pros are beginning to look like cafeteria trays to me. I'd love to see a new case.
  • Reply 42 of 167
    Apple's not going to sell off ALL their MBPs, and make sure no-one returns any etc within the 10 day period.

However, if they can reduce sales significantly for a couple of weeks (which we're now in the middle of) then there'll be less people annoyed at a new release and less returns/upgrades in the 10 day period.

What I don't understand is why Apple doesn't do a slow price drop over the life of a product. Then when a new product is released, it's a boost in power and price (and the old product can be sold until out of inventory)
  • Reply 43 of 167
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Panu View Post

When Apple did the switch to Intel, there was no change to the exterior, other than what was dictated by the innards. The iMacs stayed white plastic, and the MacBook Pros were identical in appearance to PowerBooks. I went to a meeting last weekend at which I had a MacBook Pro and the guy next to me had a PowerBook. Couldn't tell the difference.

The mini is the same way. Mac Pro is too save except for the extra drive slot.
  • Reply 44 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

The $3000 I have been saving for a MacBook Pro just got spent on replacing my car transmission. I hate Honda.

Nasser - that is the worst. I feel your pain.
  • Reply 45 of 167
    Further evidence new ones are on the way:

I have a friend (not a friend of a friend) who had a Macbook Pro with some never-ending problems. A bad fan led to a faulty repair that led to a new case and a broken trackpad that led to a flickering backlight. Nothing major.

But my friend was handed a BRAND NEW Core 2 Duo 2.4 at the Genius Bar in exchange for a Core Duo 2.16. New warranty, the works. I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't seen with my own eyes. That was Tuesday.

Anyone else think that means new ones are mere days away?
  • Reply 46 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogzilla View Post

*loads his gun, aims and fires at the tablet topic*

I don't find that funny.
  • Reply 47 of 167
    I don't really mind as long as it is with in a few weeks. Right now I have $2500 kick butt in my high yield savings account!

I would love to see the Air keyboard, a slimmer case redesign, the new processors, new track pad, and larger hard drive capacity.

If we don't see all that, no biggy, the MBP still rocks the way it is!
  • Reply 48 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I don't find that funny.

Well, I am sorry you feel that way.
  • Reply 49 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ATLienGeorgia View Post

I would love to see the Air keyboard, a slimmer case redesign, the new processors, new track pad, and larger hard drive capacity.

If we don't see all that, no biggy, the MBP still rocks the way it is!

I thought about selling my brand new MBP if a new one comes out. But I think I'll stick with this proven model that doesn't seem to have many issues. Plus the one I got runs a lot cooler than the one it replaced. I think the high heat in the other one contributed greatly to its early demise. I don't want to risk getting another hot potato.
  • Reply 50 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Posty View Post

I called our local Apple store located in New Hampshire. I asked off the record if they could tell me if I should wait because I was interested in purchasing a Macbook Pro but didn't want a newer version released days later. He told me there was nothing definite, but if I were to purchase a Macbook Pro today I would have 14 days to return it. "IF" there was a new release I could exchange it without paying a restocking fee also. If you were to purchase one tomorrow your warranty would cover you until the end of February.

I don't mind waiting, but I don't want to wait another month to get a Macbook Pro. Does anyone know what the latest "release" date is now? 18th? 19th? I'd love to at least get an idea when I should visit.

What a crock of crap - they told me that "IF" it comes out and i DIDN'T open the one i purchased within 14 days I would not have to pay a restocking fee. They said the second I break the seal on it I have to pay 10%.

I love how consistent these apple reps are at knowing their own return policies.
  • Reply 51 of 167
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by damien0013 View Post

Yeah notice that "Want it delivered by Monday, February 18th?"

Great now I'm not going to be able to sleep till Tuesday to find out this fishy business

That "Want it delivered by... ??? ...order in the next x days and y hours" link is a standard Amazon link to their overnight shipping option. It just works out that the time that screenshot was taken was still within the cutoff for Monday overnight shipping.
  • Reply 52 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

That "Want it delivered by... ??? ...order in the next x days and y hours" link is a standard Amazon link to their overnight shipping option. It just works out that the time that screenshot was taken was still within the cutoff for Monday overnight shipping.

I guess i coincidentally chose a good day to join the forums and get excited over nothing.

Just as long as it comes out soon I'll be satisfied. I've been dying to get a bootcamped Leapard / XP x64 MCP forever since I have PC-only 64-bit enabled 3d apps that would run amazingly on it, as well as Crysis (but hopefully they push another 128 megs onto the existing 8600GT 128mb card they have on the base model - I'd get a 40% increase in overall gaming speed if the revision gets this upgrade)

Us Graphic Majors / Technicians / Gamers feel this unit finally fills our shoes correcty
  • Reply 53 of 167
    Quote:

What a crock of crap - they told me that "IF" it comes out and i DIDN'T open the one i purchased within 14 days I would not have to pay a restocking fee. They said the second I break the seal on it I have to pay 10%.

I love how consistent these apple reps are at knowing their own return policies.

In fairness it wasn't that blunt. He told me I would need to speak to the manager beforehand about arrangements. He said in previous situations like this people were able to exchange to a newly release upgraded laptop if released within those 14 days.

He said NORMALLY if you were to purchase anything you have 14 days to return it. If opened you pay 10% restocking fee. But if it's to exchange for a newer model you don't have to pay that required fee. It's really a kick in the teeth to get something and days later unannounced they are selling a newer one.

The truth is really no matter when you buy something from Apple within a year you'll likely see an upgraded version of it. You just have to live with that.
  • Reply 54 of 167
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jimzip View Post

2.6GHz! Wowzers, I remember getting a 366MHz iBook.. How times have changed...

I always love a good refresh though, maybe I'll upgrade this time? Multitouch alone would be a nice upgrade.. SSD's would be nice too.

Meh.

Jimzip

I'm sure they'll put LED displays in the full line too. I was hoping for the LEDs to trickle down to the Macbook be end 2007 but no such luck. \
  • Reply 55 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

I'm sure they'll put LED displays in the full line too. I was hoping for the LEDs to trickle down to the Macbook be end 2007 but no such luck. \

Indeed. That would be spiffy. *nods*

I like the sound of the event on the 26th too. It's been quite a year already, what else could Apple have up its sleeve?

Jimzip
  • Reply 56 of 167
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:

I guess i coincidentally chose a good day to join the forums and get excited over nothing.

Hey, I'm hoping you are right about new MBPs on Tuesday!!!!

It just that I do so much business with Amazon (three boxes with the smiley/smirk on the side this week alone!) that I'm alert to all their marketing gimmicks.
  • Reply 57 of 167
    Remember that dear old Amazon site?

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MacBook-...3141314&sr=8-1

I just thought about something...

If they're targeting overnight shipping to make it in time for monday...

Wouldn't that mean that... lets say... sunday you tried to order it... they wouldn't be able to target monday as an ETA for delivery.. only tuesday at the earliest...

Wouldn't that collide (HOPEFULLY) with the official announcement of the refresh?

Its like Sunday night you order it... tuesday you get it and that afternoon **poof** Apple announces its upgrade that you just DIDN'T get via delivery.

So "IF" amazon knows this is going to be an issue (especially if the refresh models will all be priced identically as its predecessors) should we expect.. a magical "super" rebate (To calm customers down and not end up feeling jipped) to appear once the earliest delivery ETA of its product exceeds monday?

What I'm trying to point out is what happens once that..

"Want it delivered Monday, February 18?

Order it in the next 13 hours and 32 minutes, and choose One-Day Shipping at checkout."

..Runs OUT of time?

For some reason I feel like this unique overlap will be key to finding out whether Tuesday is THE day.

Then again its almost 1:30 in the morning here in NY and i could just be a weee bit paranoid.
  • Reply 58 of 167
    Quote:

Remember that dear old Amazon site?

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MacBook-...3141314&sr=8-1

I just thought about something...

If they're targeting overnight shipping to make it in time for monday...

Wouldn't that mean that... lets say... sunday you tried to order it... they wouldn't be able to target monday as an ETA for delivery.. only tuesday at the earliest...

Wouldn't that collide (HOPEFULLY) with the official announcement of the refresh?

Its like Sunday night you order it... tuesday you get it and that afternoon **poof** Apple announces its upgrade that you just DIDN'T get via delivery.

So "IF" amazon knows this is going to be an issue (especially if the refresh models will all be priced identically as its predecessors) should we expect.. a magical "super" rebate (To calm customers down and not end up feeling jipped) to appear once the earliest delivery ETA of its product exceeds monday?

What I'm trying to point out is what happens once that..

"Want it delivered Monday, February 18?

Order it in the next 13 hours and 32 minutes, and choose One-Day Shipping at checkout."

..Runs OUT of time?

For some reason I feel like this unique overlap will be key to finding out whether Tuesday is THE day.

Then again its almost 1:30 in the morning here in NY and i could just be a weee bit paranoid.

that's why they won't release a refresh this Tuesday. I am assuming at the uncomfirmed Apple Event they will.. cause seriously there will be a lot of pissed off people if a refresh happens. I don't think they ever did that before, they would at least have to wait a week or 2 before they refresh after going on sale.
  • Reply 59 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thebeat View Post

that's why they won't release a refresh this Tuesday. I am assuming at the uncomfirmed Apple Event they will.. cause seriously there will be a lot of pissed off people if a refresh happens. I don't think they ever did that before, they would at least have to wait a week or 2 before they refresh after going on sale.

I guess I'll just watch the amazon site like a hawk this weekend. It'll basically confirm whether we should expect it this upcoming Tuesday or the event.

:: crosses fingers ::
  • Reply 60 of 167
    Quote:

I guess I'll just watch the amazon site like a hawk this weekend. It'll basically confirm whether we should expect it this upcoming Tuesday or the event.

:: crosses fingers ::

i wouldn't be so sure about the whole amazon thing.