Apple introduces Penryn-based MacBooks and MacBook Pros

Comments

• Reply 181 of 423
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Does this mean that Apple is not going to support Blu-ray? They surely would have added one by now. Would Blu-Ray cut into their iTunes rentals? Any thoughts?

maybe. cause HD is a huge file. it takes time to download.
  • Reply 182 of 423
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

how many of you honestly like the "new" key design better than the one that's still included with the MBP?

i prefer the slightly concave keys far more.

the apple remote for 19 bucks. yeah, i used that thing ONCE when i first got my machine. now it's in a drawer somewhere. i'll sell it to you for 18 bucks if i can find it. the remote SHOULD have been designed to fit in the expresscard slot. it's probably the longest standing piece of design in the apple product line - it hasn't been updated since October 2005.

i support the MBP key (i like the macbook key but on the desktop keyboard, it doesnt fell sturdy. Maybe because i havent used it that much..
  • Reply 183 of 423
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by L255J View Post

I bought a Macbook for $1100 dollars Mid-2007. It had:

1 GB of Ram

120 GB Hard drive

2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor

Dual-Layer Superdrive

Now, if you pay Apple $1100, they'll give you a Macbook with:

1 GB of Ram

120 GB Hard drive

2.1 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor

Combo drive

Wow. Lame_as_hell.

That isn't true. The MacBook released in Mid-2007 for $1,099 came with an 80GB HDD, ComboDrive, and a 2.0GHz "Merom" with 4MB L2 Cache and 667MHz FSB.
  • Reply 184 of 423
    The Macbook gets the new Keyboard ala the standard keyboard/bluetooth key layout, but the Macbook Pro doesn't?

Now having used these new keyboards for months I can't stomach the old ones on the laptops.

Sorry, but they should make the keyboard type an option.

As I said, one gripe, but a big one as you type all day.

Believe it or not, I won't buy a Macbook Pro for that very basis.
  • Reply 185 of 423
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DayLight View Post

i know what you're getting at. true, the price is pretax in the states but not all states pay that tax, my dad just bought the MacBook Air from the states and he didn't have to pay those taxes so the price i see on the apple website is the price i pay.

second of all, yes, the dollar has been plummeting for a while and its WORTH right now is about half that of the British Pound. so 1 pound = 2 dollars. however, at the end of the day the value of my money = double that of dollar. so if i order from the state i'd be Paying less. now as a consumer, do you think it makes a difference for me whether the price in the UK includes tax and the one is the state doesn't ?

at the end of the day am paying less for the same device. and thats with me adding shipping + new power adapter. and the issue that i was complaining about to begin with WASN'T the price. i don't mind *alot* paying abit extra. but what annoyed me was the LOWER specs of the UK version. and that too might be a mistake.

so all good and dandy.

there is a difference between buying a US product in the us and bringing it back to europe and buying the US product in europe
  • Reply 186 of 423
    I'm a bit confused. I believe the Penryn has a front side bus at 800mHz. Why are they shipping with 667mHz pc5300 ram? Wouldn't they benefit from pc6400 800mHz RAM?
  • Reply 187 of 423
    Sorry about that. I don't remember paying that much...>_>
  • Reply 188 of 423
    Quote:

1 GB of Ram

120 GB Hard drive

Dual-Layer Superdrive

Did you get a discount or something? The old model didn't have superdrive for $1099, did it? Something doesn't seem right here - is there a list of previous MB pricing online anywhere?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Does this mean that Apple is not going to support Blu-ray? They surely would have added one by now. Would Blu-Ray cut into their iTunes rentals? Any thoughts?

From what I've read, it sounds like there are still DRM issues to be worked out for movie playback. It's working in some cases on the PC side, but there are many PC owners with bluray drives who are unable to watch movies. I can't imagine apple releasing before those problems are worked out.
  • Reply 189 of 423
    This thread is funny!

I can see the headlines in the not too distant future:

"Apple releases moon on stick: hardcore fans displeased; fall in share price"
  • Reply 190 of 423
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

$1999. Macbook Pro 15" 2.4GHz / 2GB / 200GB 5400RPM / 256MB Vram

$2499. Macbook Pro 15" 2.5GHz / 2GB / 250GB 5400RPM / 512MB Vram

Am I the only one that is going to bitch about a $500 difference between the 2 15" macbook pros? $500 for 256mb vram, 100mhz, and 50gb of harddrive? Are you kidding me?

Yeah, I'm working up to the same question (just trying to catch up on reading the boards!). One other difference, the 2.5 GHz option also has twice the processor cache (6 MB vs 3 MB). That should improve performance a bit more, but I don't know how much.
  • Reply 191 of 423
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

The Macbook gets the new Keyboard ala the standard keyboard/bluetooth key layout, but the Macbook Pro doesn't?

Comparing the two on the apple website, the layout looks the same on both. Have you looked at the new MBP keyboard layout, it is supposed to be updated?

Quote:

Sure, buddy, sure. And you bought one of those, too, didn't you?

Sorry, but your facts are wrong.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...cbook_pro.html

2.0GHz 13-inch MacBook (white)

2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

1GB memory

80GB hard drive

Intel GMA X3100 w/ 144MB of DDR2 SDRAM

Combo drive

$1,099.00

Maybe you got a discount (refurb, edu, etc), but unless you apply the same discount to the new model, it invalidates your comparison.
  • Reply 192 of 423
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mzaslove View Post

Oops, I looked and you're right. I sit corrected.

No, you were right the first time. The standard 200 GB drive is 5400 rpm. The 7200 rpm drive is optional. And extra $100 on the lower end MBP and $50 on the mid-level.
  • Reply 193 of 423
    Quote:

1 GB of Ram

120 GB Hard drive

Dual-Layer Superdrive

Now, if you pay Apple $1100, they'll give you a Macbook with:

1 GB of Ram

120 GB Hard drive

2.1 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor

Combo drive

Wow. Lame_as_hell.

I don't think so. The Macbook 2.16 as you configured above was released on May 15, 2007 and listed for $1,299.

The 2.16 GHz, 13-inch white MacBook, for a suggested retail price of $1,299 (US), includes:

\t▪\t13.3-inch glossy widescreen 1280 x 800 display;

\t▪\t2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor;

\t▪\t667 MHz front-side bus;

\t▪\t1GB of 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, expandable to 2GB;

\t▪\t120GB Serial ATA hard drive running at 5400 rpm, with Sudden Motion Sensor;

\t▪\ta slot-load 8x SuperDrive with double-layer support (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW) optical drive;

\t▪\tIntel Graphics Media Accelerator 950;

\t▪\tMini-DVI out (adapters for DVI, VGA and Composite/S-Video sold separately);

\t▪\tbuilt-in iSight video camera;

\t▪\tGigabit Ethernet port;

\t▪\tbuilt-in AirPort Extreme 802.11n wireless networking and Bluetooth 2.0+EDR;

\t▪\ttwo USB 2.0 ports and one FireWire 400 port;

\t▪\tone audio line in and one audio line out port, each supporting both optical digital and analog;

\t▪\tScrolling TrackPad;

\t▪\tthe infrared Apple Remote; and

\t▪\t60 Watt MagSafe Power Adapter.

Whereas today,…

The 2.1 GHz, 13-inch white MacBook, for a suggested retail price of $1,099 (US), includes:

\t▪\t13.3-inch glossy widescreen 1280 x 800 display;

\t▪\t2.1 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 3MB shared L2 cache;

\t▪\t800 MHz front-side bus;

\t▪\t1GB of 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, expandable to 4GB;

\t▪\t120GB Serial ATA hard drive running at 5400 rpm, with Sudden Motion Sensor;

\t▪\ta slot-load Combo (DVD-ROM/CD-RW) optical drive;

\t▪\tIntel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100;

\t▪\tMini-DVI out (adapters for DVI, VGA and Composite/S-Video sold separately);

\t▪\tbuilt-in iSight video camera;

\t▪\tGigabit Ethernet port;

\t▪\tbuilt-in AirPort Extreme 802.11n wireless networking and Bluetooth 2.0+EDR;

\t▪\ttwo USB 2.0 ports and one FireWire 400 port;

\t▪\tone audio line in and one audio line out port, each supporting both optical digital and analog;

\t▪\tScrolling trackpad; and

\t▪\t60 Watt MagSafe Power Adapter.

I think that it would be best that you apologize for your errors. Things like this only help propagate more faslehoods
  • Reply 194 of 423
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    As it's been stated the biggest problems with the current MBP enclosure is...

A) no magnetic latch

B) Port location (my MBP looks like an octopus on my desk)

C) Keyboard (I don't mind it that much)

D) Harddrive replacement

I think B and D are the biggest issues. If I could replace my HD without voiding the warranty I wouldn't mind the design. I've had my mbp apart a few times, it's not that big of a deal if you build computers, but for the average person I would assume it as a nightmare. Why can't apple just come up with a design that allows easier harddrive replacement????????????
  • Reply 195 of 423
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Sure, buddy, sure. And you bought one of those, too, didn't you?

Your smarmy reply aside, how about a link to the 15-MAY-2007 AppleInsider article?
  • Reply 196 of 423
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

$1999. Macbook Pro 15" 2.4GHz / 2GB / 200GB 5400RPM / 256MB Vram

$2499. Macbook Pro 15" 2.5GHz / 2GB / 250GB 5400RPM / 512MB Vram

Am I the only one that is going to bitch about a $500 difference between the 2 15" macbook pros? $500 for 256mb vram, 100mhz, and 50gb of harddrive? Are you kidding me?

As said before, the $500 diff is simply an ego tax.

The lower config is perfectly adequate for this class device, and extra memory can be added much more cheaply 3rd party.

Don't see the need for 'bitching' as opposed to just making the more logical choice.

edit: the 'this class of device' statement is due to not carefully reading. This is about pro, which many could say needs to be top of line. Still, .1 GHz diff does seem like a silly reason to spend $500
  • Reply 197 of 423
    Nothing there to deter me from buying my MacBook Air when I'm in Florida this July
  • Reply 198 of 423
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobertoq View Post

Wow! There is an anti-glare option!! No more glossy display or has that always been there?

I bought my MBP in November '06 and ordered it with a matte finish.
  • Reply 199 of 423
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

HD rentals only through AppleTV, the rest of the HD are just podcasts, and not all that many of them.

HD is pointless on a 17" screen.
  • Reply 200 of 423
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zanshin View Post

Nobody has yet whined about:

? not being 4.0+ GHz or better

? not having 1 Tb 15K rpm 1.8" drive

? no Blu-Ray burners

? doesn't fold up to fit in your shirt pocket

? doesn't unfold to a 30" screen

? still needs a battery and/or AC power supply

? costs more than USD $10

? doesn't include lifetime free update versions of all Apple, M$ and Adobe software

? no $10 million lifetime data loss insurance guarantee, with "no proof of purchase/no questions asked" payout

It's getting to where I don't know what's worse: Windows zealots who think their choices are golden, or Mac zealots who think their choices are crap.

What? You mean this isn't the year 2015AD?! Dang it. I knew I should have calibrated the time-shift module before jumping. Wrecken, freshen, meshen.

YipYipYipee