Apple introduces Penryn-based MacBooks and MacBook Pros

Comments

• Reply 161 of 423
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IanNewt View Post

MacBook Pro includes the latest NVIDIA graphics processors

I thought that the 8800M was the "latest" NVIDIA graphics processor for laptops. The previous generation of MBP's already had the 8600M, but with only 256MB video ram max.

Who knows what kind of performance difference there is between the 8600M and 8800M ?

Ian \

You're not going to get an 8800M GPU in a thin metal enclosure like the Macbook Pro's. It would get waaaay too hot and it would destroy the battery life.
  • Reply 162 of 423
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pine View Post

What do you want to see? New keyboard and magnetic latch? Then the next release may be for you.

Yes! The problem is we have been waiting for a long, long time. I remember when everyone was expecting a major redesign for the Intel transition. It never came. The excuse was that Apple needed to get Intel based models out right away and didn't have them time. So everyone thought the next revision would bring changes. Never happened. Then the next revision. Nope. Over and over again. The lower-end MacBook has features the higher-end MacBook Pros lack. How long will this stand? With reports of slowing iPod growth and the Mac as the only remaining growth driver can Apple really afford to be complacent? I don't think so.
  • Reply 163 of 423
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IanNewt View Post

MacBook Pro includes the latest NVIDIA graphics processors

I thought that the 8800M was the "latest" NVIDIA graphics processor for laptops. The previous generation of MBP's already had the 8600M, but with only 256MB video ram max.

Who knows what kind of performance difference there is between the 8600M and 8800M ?

Ian \

I dont know wether apple underclock the graph card, but i saw asus lambo with the same graph card as the previous one clocked at 512. So i guess the problem was the heat
  • Reply 164 of 423
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ros3ntan View Post

Dude, apple's plan is to erase all dvd. They just want everything online through itunes. Yes, there is HD in itunes. there are some free hd podcast. you might want to check it out

HD rentals only through AppleTV, the rest of the HD are just podcasts, and not all that many of them.
  • Reply 165 of 423
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Can you offer good reasons why it needs to have a DVD burner in it? If I could get a MBP with a Combo drive, I would.

It would save you less than $5. Seriously. That's why most notebooks don't use combo drives anymore. If you need to have an optical drive in the thing anyway, you might as well spend the tiny bit more to get a DVD writer. I don't need it, but I would at least want the full writing capability. Even if you're just going to ditch the drive for an Optibay, a writer would be easier to sell.
  • Reply 166 of 423
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

And how exactly does that excuse an apple laptop with a DVD burner costing $1299 when PCs for less than half that price include it? And even if you think a $1099 model with no DVD burner is acceptable (which I personally find laughable), how do you excuse a $200 charge to get the burner (which includes other options which the user may or may not need)?

I'd love to see apple do a cheaper, more stripped down model for schools. But it should be more like $599-799. These days, $1099 isn't a budget machine, it's a midpriced one, and the features should live up to the price. Overall they do, but the omission of superdrive is absolutely glaring.

When schools order those in bulk, they probably are getting them for $799 if not cheaper. If you're looking to buy a mac with the lowest common denominator, you're doing it because it has an Apple logo and not because of what's actually inside of it. Apple will always hose that group with small but important setbacks just so people will get the next big thing. It's just a matter of if you're willing to make that sacrifice. How many DVD's would you actually burn? I think it's definitely a convenient feature but I've had a spindle of 50 DVD-R's for 18 months now and I've used maybe 5. I'm definitely not saying a I speak for anyone else but me, but do you want it for usage, convenience, or you think it's owed to you?
  • Reply 167 of 423
    Today, I'm one of those whiners that we all hate so much... here goes.

This day made me very sad because it means I will soon have to spend a lot of money on a mac notebook that I don't really want. MacBook Pro: Too big, old clunky keyboard, too heavy and I hate to say it: dated design. MacBook: old trackpad, unfortunately too weak on graphics for my needs, too heavy for its form factor. MacBook Air: Here I don't care about graphics performance, but I really need firewire, and a bit more storage. The Air is the only mac notebook these days that I really really want though.. I think it's fantastic. But no...

*sigh*
  • Reply 168 of 423
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

You really need to get a grip. Apple is effectively lowering the cost of the MBP by this deletion and not passing the savings on to the consumer.

That's the thing though. You don't know that. If they included the remote, maybe the HD would be a little smaller. If they included the remote, maybe the MBP doesn't have a multi touch trackpad, etc. It's all speculation, and the traffic goes both ways.

None of us have any idea whether apple's margins are higher, lower, or the same as the last revision.
  • Reply 169 of 423
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

HD rentals only through AppleTV, the rest of the HD are just podcasts, and not all that many of them.

right, which is erases the need for burner or dvd altogether.Pretty sure apple is going to increase its hd content as soon as people have fast connection.
  • Reply 170 of 423
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

This day made me very sad because it means I will soon have to spend a lot of money on a mac notebook that I don't really want. MacBook Pro: Too big, old clunky keyboard, too heavy and I hate to say it: dated design. MacBook: old trackpad, unfortunately too weak on graphics for my needs, too heavy for its form factor. MacBook Air: Here I don't care about graphics performance, but I really need firewire, and a bit more storage. The Air is the only mac notebook these days that I really really want though.. I think it's fantastic. But no...

*sigh*

cant get everything man. Thats just how life is..
  • Reply 171 of 423
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Two points

Firstly, I was wondering how long it would take for this to happen. Back in the heady days of PowerPC, it wasn't so easy for consumers to compare Apples and PCs like-for-like, because nobody else was really using the PowerPC platform. The result was that Apple was able to enjoy higher margins.

With the move to Intel, it has become very easy for consumers to compare Apples and PCs like-for-like and Apple has no option but to be transparent. Funnily enough, Apple isn't keen to decrease its margins, and clever moves like incremental upgrades that don't require an expensive redesign and features that used to come as standard now costing extra are all tell tale signs that Apple is trying to conserve their margins. If everyone else's prices are dropping, and Apple prices stay virtually the same, we're going to end up in exactly the same pickle that we were in before!

Unfortunately, this is true of a lot of Apple's products. How long are we going to have to wait on a refresh of the Cinema Display family. It's unbelievably out of date and over priced. What about the Mac mini?

Secondly with regards to the face lift which didn't happen ? Apple has to make the Air look as attractive as possible in comparison to the other notebooks ? because the Air MUST offer them higher margins. If Apple gave their other notebooks a face lift, and they looked as good as the Air, nobody in their right mind would buy the Air at it's current price.
  • Reply 172 of 423
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tailpipe View Post

This is too little too late.

Where are the new MBPs that have been seen at Cupertino? I guess it'll be another six months before they arrive. That means Apple will debut a Montevina MBP onths after everyone else.

No wonder the share price is langusihing at $120. It deserves to.

Talk about disappointed. I could cry.

So Tailpipe? Where is the case redesign? It seems your reliable sources aren't that real.
  • Reply 173 of 423
    Wait, nevermind...

Sorry about that.
  • Reply 174 of 423
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wbrasington View Post

You're whining about their pricing, and pointing at a 19 buck remote that almost nobody uses.

You're not just a little girl..... you're a cry-baby too.

$19 for that remote!

It should be more like 19 cents. No wonder the stock keeps falling.
  • Reply 174 of 423
    how many of you honestly like the "new" key design better than the one that's still included with the MBP?

i prefer the slightly concave keys far more.

the apple remote for 19 bucks. yeah, i used that thing ONCE when i first got my machine. now it's in a drawer somewhere. i'll sell it to you for 18 bucks if i can find it. the remote SHOULD have been designed to fit in the expresscard slot. it's probably the longest standing piece of design in the apple product line - it hasn't been updated since October 2005.
  • Reply 176 of 423
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

This day made me very sad because it means I will soon have to spend a lot of money on a mac notebook that I don't really want. MacBook Pro: Too big, old clunky keyboard, too heavy and I hate to say it: dated design.

I really don't think your points have much merit, at least in my opinion. I think your statement of clunky keyboard is devoid of actual experience, the new MacBook style keyboards are really quite cheap, they rattle around and the MBP keyboards are clearly more precise action, and have a better sculpted feel. There's hardly any shape at all to the new style (MacBook) keys.
  • Reply 177 of 423
    Quote:

Keep in mind that the extra costs of duties, complying with regulation, as well as extra taxes on businesses, and a much higher cost of living on the Apple employees there in distribution, service and support, all lead to a higher price. The last time I looked at Apple's finance sheets, Apple makes less margin in Europe despite the higher prices.

I can't prove it but my educated guess is that Apple cost shifts its sales to Europe to avoid the higher tax regime, thus making Europe look less profitable.

It is simply done by charging the European subsidiary a higher wholesale price, thereby reducing the profit on sales in Europe and raising the profit of the US HQ.

btw I am surprised that you are able to obtain detailed figures on Apple's Europe operations. Here in Australia they release no financial details.
  • Reply 178 of 423
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by L255J View Post

I bought a Macbook for $1100 dollars Mid-2007. It had:

1 GB of Ram

120 GB Hard drive

2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor

Dual-Layer Superdrive

Now, if you pay Apple $1100, they'll give you a Macbook with:

1 GB of Ram

120 GB Hard drive

2.1 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor

Combo drive

Wow. Lame_as_hell.

if you havent realize, thats how the computer world is. Everywhere... pc or mac
  • Reply 179 of 423
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Does this mean that Apple is not going to support Blu-ray? They surely would have added one by now. Would Blu-Ray cut into their iTunes rentals? Any thoughts?
  • Reply 180 of 423
    Quote:

I really don't think your points have much merit, at least in my opinion. I think your statement of clunky keyboard is devoid of actual experience, the new MacBook style keyboards are really quite cheap, they rattle around and the MBP keyboards are clearly more precise action, and have a better sculpted feel. There's hardly any shape at all to the new style (MacBook) keys.

i agree. I dont know why people keep saying the macbook keyboard is better. It clicks very loud when you press it as opposed to the mbp, it doesnt click as loud, which i think its better. The feel, i like the MBP better...