Apple introduces Penryn-based MacBooks and MacBook Pros

Comments

• Reply 341 of 423
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jowie74 View Post

still this is a little marketing artistic licence on Apple's part. But I guess everyone does that stuff.

I don't think so; it's quote clear to me. I'll ask my parents next time I talk to them. I like to use them as technical litmus paper.

Quote:

You're right it isn't a big deal. It would just make a bit more sense if Apple sold the RAM at a decent price so we didn't have to mess around with a brand new machine

it seems the OEMs are really pushing us to use the 3rd-parties for RAM with these outrageous prices. If they really wanted the business of the extra RAM installation, which is really easy, they would probably make a more money from having it within $50 of the 3rd-party price. (That is baseless speculation on my part)
  • Reply 342 of 423
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    on the other note

previous generation MacBook Pro all are on sale under clearance item from apple.com

$1699 for MBP thats a deal ...
  • Reply 343 of 423
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

on the other note

previous generation MacBook Pro all are on sale under clearance item from apple.com

And the 2.2GHz/120GB refurbs are $1449 for those that don't mind going that route.
  • Reply 344 of 423
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

on the other note

I bought my 15" MacBook Pro on March 28, 2006.

Nothing since then has inspired an upgrade.

I will not be a part of Apple's marketing plan to leave early adopters in the dust. No Windows user or IS department will spring for these "upgrades", nor will they switch from Windows. Apple needs a better plan, and they haven't figured it out.

They need Windows users to switch (upgrade?)...not us.

So long Apple. When I see a real reason to upgrade, it will be to Windows. You blow your opportunities again and again and again.

DT
  • Reply 345 of 423
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techvoyager View Post

Question: I just bought a Macbook over the weekend, what is Apple's policy if I return this computer in exchange for the newly bumped specs?

I know the bump in speed, memory and space isn't that significant for the $1299 machine, but I'm just curious. I've already ordered my 4gb memory, but the added hard drive space would be nice. Going from 2.2ghz to 2.4 doesn't make that much difference, right?

You might have to pay a restocking fee, but they should take it back within 14 days, or whatever it says on the apple receipt from an Apple store. You bought it at an Apple store, right?
  • Reply 346 of 423
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    You are kidding aren't you?
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

I will not be a part of Apple's marketing plan to leave early adopters in the dust. No Windows user or IS department will spring for these "upgrades", nor will they switch from Windows. Apple needs a better plan, and they haven't figured it out.

So long Apple. When I see a real reason to upgrade, it will be to Windows. You blow your opportunities again and again and again.

DT

• Reply 347 of 423
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

LOL

You're waiting for the 8-core Xeon, right? With 32 USB ports and 3 SuperDrives?
  • Reply 348 of 423
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Why the F would you think you should need to upgrade within two years anyway? That's very unusual.

Quote:

What the F exactly are you looking for? Excuses to blow more money? I call BS. I'd be skeptical if you said your IS department was willing to replace your machine more often than once every three years if it really didn't have to. I know that executives might get a new toy every six months, but they're executives and for some reason, they need to be pandered to, else they succumb to a temper tantrum. Some workstation-class systems in engineering might be replaced once a year if the next system is 25% faster than the last because for some cases, every little bit of performance counts. Nearly everyone else in a typical corporation gets a new system every three years or less often. Home users might replace once every five to seven years.

Your statements look to be contradictory. You see nothing that's worth upgrading to, but then you complain that Apple leaves early adopters in the dust, which doesn't appear to be your case.
  • Reply 349 of 423
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

I believe that's correct. HD playback requires (by license) that the video path is "secure" (ie, it can't be captured/recorded). Microsoft went draconian and put DRM throughout Vista to the point that the path from RAM to the video card can be locked down. Hopefully, Apple won't [need] to go so far because that could mean changes to the OS.

The HDMI connection on the AppleTV became HDCP (I think that's the right acronym) compliant with the Take 2.0 upgrade. Or at least it seems to get activated with rentals. I don't think you can implement HDCP on DVI (could be wrong), and that is what is needed for the player to handshake with the display/TV in order to establish a secure connection. So at a minimum, I think they'd have to start shipping computers with HDMI connections if you wanted to watch blu-ray on an external monitor. Who knows, the license to play blu-ray video may require that they implement HDCP even on the connection between the video card and the built-in display on laptops!

I've just ordered my first Mac ever, a MBP with the hi-res screen in order to be able to edit self-recorded HD video more easily. I was hoping on hooking up an external Blu-Ray writer to backup my edited HD videos on Blu-Ray disks. Will that still be possible? Is only DRM playback restricted, or will I have trouble viewing my self-created disks as well?

Thanks in advance!
  • Reply 350 of 423
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rolfb View Post

I've just ordered my first Mac ever, a MBP with the hi-res screen in order to be able to edit HD video more easily. I was hoping on hooking up an external Blu-Ray writer to backup my edited HD videos on Blu-Ray disks. Will that still be possible? Is only DRM playback restricted, or will I have trouble viewing my self-created disks as well?

Thanks in advance!

Your disks will be fine. It's the HDCP, not DRM that will prevent you from playing store bought HD optical movie titles with your drive.

As long as you encode it as MPEG2, H.264 or VC1 the media should playback fine in any HD optical player.
  • Reply 351 of 423
    A review from AnandTech worth reading.
    edit:
    "The Mobile GM45/47 chipsets are an integral part of Montevina and will feature the new GMA X4500HD graphics core. The X4500HD will add full hardware H.264 decode acceleration, so Apple could begin shipping MacBook Pros with Blu-ray drives after the Montevina upgrade without them being a futile addition. With full hardware H.264 decode acceleration your CPU would be somewhere in the 0 - 10% range of utilization while watching a high definition movie, allowing you to watch a 1080p movie while on battery power. The new graphics core will also add integrated HDMI and DisplayPort support."
    That makes me think w won't see new Cinema Displays until Montenia and the new MBPs 'and' MBs will no longer have Dual-link DVI and Mini-DVI ports but a Display Port port. Could this be way Apple has delayed the Cinema Displays for so long? It certainly seems feasible as to why they haven't added Blu-ray as a handicapped option and help Apple move into thinner, tapered notebooks, like the MBA. (speculation)
  • Reply 352 of 423
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

A review from AnandTech worth reading.
    edit:[INDENT]"The Mobile GM45/47 chipsets are an integral part of Montevina and will feature the new GMA X4500HD graphics core. The X4500HD will add full hardware H.264 decode acceleration

That's useful info, but AnandTech have got their wires crossed, which is unusual for them. The MacBook Pro doesn't use Intel's integrated graphics, it uses dedicated graphics from Nvidia, which have incorporated hardware H.264 decoding for a few generations now. Indeed, that's how the AppleTV decodes H.264 yet has such a measly processor - it's the mobile Nvidia GPU in the AppleTV that does the bulk of the heavy-lifting.
  • Reply 353 of 423
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

That's useful info, but AnandTech have got their wires crossed, which is a unusual for them. The MacBook Pro doesn't use Intel's integrated graphics, it uses dedicated graphics from Nvidia, which have incorporated hardware H.264 decoding for a few generations now. Indeed, that's how the AppleTV decodes H.264 yet has such a measly processor - it's the mobile Nvidia GPU in the AppleTV that does the bulk of the heavy-lifting.

What am I missing? I don't see where he said the MBP has integrated graphics. The text you quote was Shimpi stating that H.264 decoding acceleration will be an integral part of the Montevina chipset.

He did state that both MB and MBPs have the multi-touch trackpads. Unles he thinking of the less-complex dual-touch trackpad, I think that is incorrect.
  • Reply 354 of 423
    Quote:

What am I missing? I don't see where he said the MBP has integrated graphics.

I think he's talking about this inference:

Quote:

The X4500HD will add full hardware H.264 decode acceleration, so Apple could begin shipping MacBook Pros with Blu-ray drives after the Montevina upgrade without them being a futile addition.

The fact of the matter is they are already fast enough to cope with HD content and have been for some time, thanks to the dedicated graphics hardware.
  • Reply 355 of 423
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

What am I missing? I don't see where he said the MBP has integrated graphics.

The X4500HD is an integrated graphics chip (the successor to the current X3100 used in the MacBook). The MacBook Pro will not have it. But it doesn't matter as the MacBook Pro is already plenty powerful enough to decode MPEG-2, High-Profile H.264 and VC-1. It's just that currently, OS X only decodes one of those (MPEG-2).

In order to support playing of Blu-ray discs, Apple will have to implement High-Profile H.264 and VC-1 decoding, and ground-up anti-copy mechanisms in both the hardware and the operating system.
  • Reply 356 of 423
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jowie74 View Post

I think he's talking about this inference:

The fact of the matter is they are already fast enough to cope with HD content and have been for some time, thanks to the dedicated graphics hardware.

Sure, they can cope with it just fine, but at a cost. Decodign built onto the Montevina chip will make decoding a HD movie will keep the GPU from taxing, will hardly tax the CPU, and this will same a good amount of battery tim and free up these components for other services.
  • Reply 357 of 423
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

The X4500HD is an integrated graphics chip (the successor to the current X3100 used in the MacBook). The MacBook Pro will not have it. But it doesn't matter as the MacBook Pro is already plenty powerful enough to decode MPEG-2, High-Profile H.264 and VC-1. It's just that currently, OS X only decodes one of those (MPEG-2).

In order to support playing of Blu-ray discs, Apple will have to implement High-Profile H.264 and VC-1 decoding, and ground-up anti-copy mechanisms in both the hardware and the operating system.

Gotcha.
  • Reply 358 of 423
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Why the F would you think you should need to upgrade within two years anyway? That's very unusual.

What the F exactly are you looking for? Excuses to blow more money? I call BS. I'd be skeptical if you said your IS department was willing to replace your machine more often than once every three years if it really didn't have to. I know that executives might get a new toy every six months, but they're executives and for some reason, they need to be pandered to, else they succumb to a temper tantrum. Some workstation-class systems in engineering might be replaced once a year if the next system is 25% faster than the last because for some cases, every little bit of performance counts. Nearly everyone else in a typical corporation gets a new system every three years or less often. Home users might replace once every five to seven years.

Your statements look to be contradictory. You see nothing that's worth upgrading to, but then you complain that Apple leaves early adopters in the dust, which doesn't appear to be your case.

What I'm trying to say is that I wouldn't spend $2,000+ for one of these new MacBook Pro laptops. There isn't that much value added compared to earlier MBP's. Therefore, where's the market? People who've never bought a MBP? Windows users? IS departments? I believe these are extremely limited markets, since the original MBP is only about two years old. Anyone who needed one already has one (this is being typed on one). Apple did not distinguish itself well enough with these upgrades to convince any existing MBP owner to upgrade, or others to switch (from Windows). Their only hope is new users. But don't look at me...just look at their stock (AAPL).

As far as early adopters being left behind, I would spend a few hundred bucks on my MBP for a bigger hard drive (not offered by Apple), a SuperDrive (not offered by Apple), or an updated processor (not offered by Apple). In other words, Apple doesn't offer a path to upgrade existing similar machines...they only offer to replace them. Even Dell offers upgrade paths, and I have used them in the past.

That's my point.

Cheers,

DT

P.S. Please don't hint at vulgarities in your posts. Civil communication is all that's required.
  • Reply 359 of 423
    Quote:

As far as early adopters being left behind, I would spend a few hundred bucks on my MBP for a bigger hard drive (not offered by Apple), a SuperDrive (not offered by Apple), or an updated processor (not offered by Apple). In other words, Apple doesn't offer a path to upgrade existing similar machines...they only offer to replace them. Even Dell offers upgrade paths, and I have used them in the past.

That's my point.

The resale value of Macs over other OEM PCs is much on your favour. Instead of upgrading the optical drive, HDD, and processor for significant cost, which will still use an LCD with many hours logged, possibly lower res display, battery with less than stellar capacity, many slower MoBo components, much worse GPU, less L2 Cache and FSB at a lower clock-speed and more power hungry CPU... just not buy a shiny new machine with a warranty and sell your old one. The prices are a wash when you consider all plus sides to a new machine.

There is only so much you can do with older architecture. Migration Assistant makes easy work of it. Even the MBA holds against the 1st Gen. MBP.
  • Reply 360 of 423
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

What I'm trying to say is that I wouldn't spend $2,000+ for one of these new MacBook Pro laptops. There isn't that much value added compared to earlier MBP's. Therefore, where's the market? People who've never bought a MBP? Windows users? IS departments? I believe these are extremely limited markets, since the original MBP is only about two years old. Anyone who needed one already has one (this is being typed on one). Apple did not distinguish itself well enough with these upgrades to convince any existing MBP owner to upgrade, or others to switch (from Windows). Their only hope is new users. But don't look at me...just look at their stock (AAPL).

The stock market is fickle and one should take care to not interpret too much out of it, or interpret the wrong thing. If you haven't noticed, the last quarter smashed quite a few records with regards to Mac sales with a very healthy growth. Much of the drop is far more accurately attributed to much-reduced growth in their iPod business, which represents about half of Apple's income.

Quote:

There are several third parties that do just that, Apple authorized and all that.

Quote:

P.S. Please don't hint at vulgarities in your posts. Civil communication is all that's required.

I'm sorry about that. It's just that your previous post was nearly content-free, i.e. stating an opinion but little explanation as to its reasoning, and as such, read a lot like common troll posts that we see around here.