Apple introduces Penryn-based MacBooks and MacBook Pros

Comments

• Reply 361 of 423
    Has anyone had their BTO MacBook Pro ship, yet?

I ordered mine the morning it was released and the only thing I changed on the 2.5Ghz model was I opted for the glossy screen. My ship date is Feb 28 - March 3 and it hasn't shipped yet...
  • Reply 362 of 423
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I'm sorry about that. It's just that your previous post was nearly content-free, i.e. stating an opinion but little explanation as to its reasoning, and as such, read a lot like common troll posts that we see around here.

With the risk of starting a flame war, the original post reeked of a newbie forum member desperate to hurl complaints around so as to make themselves feel a bit better. In those situations I find it's best to keep stumm and let them throw their toys out of their pram until they say something constructive.

But you did try your best!
  • Reply 363 of 423
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jowie74 View Post

With the risk of starting a flame war, the original post reeked of a newbie forum member desperate to hurl complaints around so as to make themselves feel a bit better. In those situations I find it's best to keep stumm and let them throw their toys out of their pram until they say something constructive.

But you did try your best!

That doesn't explain vulgarities, nor your sophomoric or ad hominem comments.

The original post was to the point, the second post detailed it.

The fact is Apple is so desperate to sell these new MacBooks that they are offering rebates and bundled free merchandise.

What they have forgotten is their base. There is no path for those owners. If you can't get that point out of three messages now, you don't have a clue as to sales and marketing, and have obviously never been in that field.

Perhaps, neither has Apple.

Regards,

DT
  • Reply 364 of 423
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

The fact is Apple is so desperate to sell these new MacBooks that they are offering rebates and bundled free merchandise.

I don't know where you're seeing Apple offering this. Amazon and some third parties might be offering rebates on Macs and bundling other merchandise as a free promotion, but Apple is not. Amazon has been offering those rebates for just about forever, completely independent of Apple.

I think the point your making is again ignorant of the fact that Apple continues to sell 30% more units than the previous year as they have for the past several years, there is no sign of slowdown of that growth so far.
  • Reply 365 of 423
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I don't know where you're seeing Apple offering this. Amazon and some third parties might be offering rebates on Macs and bundling other merchandise as a free promotion, but Apple is not. Amazon has been offering those rebates for just about forever, completely independent of Apple.

I think the point your making is again ignorant of the fact that Apple continues to sell 30% more units than the previous year as they have for the past several years, there is no sign of slowdown of that growth so far.

The rebates and bundles are in a Feb. 27th story on this very site. Granted, they aren't Apple's, but there are a whole lot more resellers than Apple who must move merchandise to stay in business. Why offer incentives on a brand new "in demand" product with people knocking down your doors to get it? Well, the truth is no doors are being knocked down.

But still, that isn't the point I've been trying to make. My point is that Apple abandons their base. Except for the Apple TV, I've never seen Apple offer anything to existing users that enhances existing products. Maybe the $20 iPod Touch upgrades count, but that's also a firestorm as the new ones come with the new functionality at the same price. That doesn't bother me...I'll pay for new functionality upgrades. I just don't want to be put into a corner where the only option is to replace for that functionality.

All I'm asking for is an upgrade path. I know my Mac 128 sitting in the attic since 1986 isn't going to get any upgrades, but something as similar as the MacBook Pro is to the new one should have an upgrade path.

Other vendors do it. Why doesn't Apple?

And please, once again, try to carry on a civil conversation. Words like "ignorant" don't foster that.

Regards,

DT
  • Reply 366 of 423
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    What "upgrade path" is there for a MacBook Pro? I don't get what you are asking for.

Just sell it on eBay and buy the new one. That's what I do and the money you have to spend is about what you would spend to "upgrade", whatever that means, the old one.

Plus, if you subscribe to the ADC Select developer program, you get $400 off the price of the MBP and free copy of 10.6 when it comes out, not to mention you get 10.6 about a year earlier than the public does.
  • Reply 367 of 423
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy View Post

What "upgrade path" is there for a MacBook Pro? I don't get what you are asking for.

Just sell it on eBay and buy the new one. That's what I do and the money you have to spend is about what you would spend to "upgrade", whatever that means, the old one.

Plus, if you subscribe to the ADC Select developer program, you get $400 off the price of the MBP and free copy of 10.6 when it comes out, not to mention you get 10.6 about a year earlier than the public does.

I was scratching my head on an upgrade paths for ANY laptop. I've had PC laptops, and they're as easy or as hard as Apple laptops (some are as easy as a MacBook, some as hard as an MBP), but I don't know of any built-in upgrade paths... especially for CPU's or GPU's. I'm sure there are some out there, but generally a laptop is what it is with some extra ram or a bigger HD as it gets older. Or at least that's what I've usually found.
  • Reply 368 of 423
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy View Post

1. Larger hard drive...I know that's available elsewhere, but it voids warranty/AppleCare.

2. SuperDrive vs. ComboDrive. Again, same as above.

That's just two, but they are important ones.

My last Dell notebook even allowed processor upgrades...not so with Apple.

If I want a new radio for my car, or virtually anything else but the chassis, I can upgrade. Apple doesn't have that mindset.

The money I would spend on a hard drive and a SuperDrive isn't anywhere close to the loss in selling/buying new.

I do want to thank you for the respectful post.

Regards,

DT
  • Reply 369 of 423
    Quote:

1. Larger hard drive...I know that's available elsewhere, but it voids warranty/AppleCare.

2. SuperDrive vs. ComboDrive. Again, same as above.

That's just two, but they are important ones.

If I want a new radio for my car, or virtually anything else but the chassis, I can upgrade. Apple doesn't have that mindset.

The money I would spend on a hard drive and a SuperDrive isn't anywhere close to the loss in selling/buying new.

I do want to thank you for the respectful post.

Regards,

DT

Got it -- it's the warranty voiding that Apple does. They're cool on ram, I never had a ComboDrive to switch out.
  • Reply 370 of 423
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mzaslove View Post

Got it -- it's the warranty voiding that Apple does. They're cool on ram, I never had a ComboDrive to switch out.

True, the warranty is an issue.

Which is why Apple should offer these upgrades themselves. This was the point of my original post.

I should be able to carry my MBP into an Apple Store and say, "Please upgrade the hard drive to 250 GB and install a SuperDrive. I'll pick it up next week". It will never happen.

The fact that they won't do such a simple task suggests not only greed, but complete lack of concern for past buyers. This is what will bury them and drive customers away. In terms of market share, Windows is but a pimple compared to Apple's terminal disease of abandoning current users.

Regards,

DT
  • Reply 371 of 423
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

True, the warranty is an issue.

Which is why Apple should offer these upgrades themselves. This was the point of my original post.

I should be able to carry my MBP into an Apple Store and say, "Please upgrade the hard drive to 250 GB and install a SuperDrive. I'll pick it up next week". It will never happen.

The fact that they won't do such a simple task suggests not only greed, but complete lack of concern for past buyers. This is what will bury them and drive customers away. In terms of market share, Windows is but a pimple compared to Apple's terminal disease of abandoning current users.

Regards,

DT

Is this sort of thing common from OEMs? I can't ask my Merc dealer to install a larger engine. I can't ask LG to put in a higher res display into my TV.

There are 3rd-party vendors that do this. If you want this your warranty is already expired. Why should Apple supply everything to everyone?
  • Reply 372 of 423
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Is this sort of thing common from OEMs? I can't ask my Merc dealer to install a larger engine. I can't ask LG to put in a higher res display into my TV.

There are 3rd-party vendors that do this. If you want this your warranty is already expired. Why should Apple supply everything to everyone?

It's not the warranty, it's AppleCare, which in fact is an extended warranty.

An LG Higher-res display would be a different model # TV. Ford will sell you any engine that will fit your vehicle. I don't know what Merc does, but since they are in the bottom ten of CU's reliability database, I will never own one, and therefore don't care about their policies.

On the contrary a MacBook Pro is still called a MacBook Pro.

Do you understand the meaning here? If not, further posts from you on this thread are unnecessary.

Regards,

DT
  • Reply 373 of 423
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    Is it true that all of the new MBPs have TI FW instead of the Lucent/Agere chipsets that they switched over to in November for most of the portable line? All the MBs are now Agere, currently incompatible with much FW audio hardware.

Thanks.
  • Reply 374 of 423
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Ford will sell you any engine that will fit your vehicle.

They'll probably sell you any engine they make, but even if it was another engine that was also available for the chosen vehicle would they really install it? Do you really think that would be an affordable swap?

IIRC, Apple techs will install third party upgrades if you bring it and the machine in. I suppose I see your point with regard to hard drives and optical drives and having Applecare cover the part you had them install. The problem I see is that given their pricing, I think most people would balk at having Apple do the upgrade. I think they charge $400 for 4GB of RAM, which is about 4x the price of a reputable parts site, though not installed.

On processors though, even if they did use CPU sockets, there's only so much they can upgrade, the Intel mobile chipset generations and mobile CPU generations are very specific to each other. Apple sells notebooks with CPUs that are pretty close to the fastest chip that will work in the machine anyway. Intel keeps advancing the FSB speeds and their sockets seem to change periodically.
  • Reply 375 of 423
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Yeah, Apple has never sold upgrades like that and I don't see any evidence that they will. Thicker and heavier notebooks that have socketed CPUs and are easier to open may be easy to upgrade, and maybe Dell offers it because their notebooks don't have the resale value.

But I know that once you saw the price Apple would want to charge you for installing a part, you would choose the sell-on-eBay - and - buy a new one method.

IT directors at large institutions are always complaining that Apple won't sell them parts. They want to replace bad HDs themselves, mobos, etc. Apple has never done this to my knowledge.

The only Apple upgrade I ever got was my Mac 128K upgrade to 512K Fat Mac. Mobo swap of course, since the RAM chips were soldered on. $1000 for an extra 384K. And that was with the 40% university discount.
  • Reply 376 of 423
    Quote:

I've not bought a laptop since 2002, but the TiBook then had instructions in the paper manual how to replace the HDD and Airport card. I took this to mean it was non-warranty affecting. They don't mention the Superdrive but it's just there when you do either of the above.

http://www.apple.com/support/manuals/powerbook/

I've recently replaced the HDD and Superdrive for £100 breathing new life into this 5yr old £2400 Mac.
  • Reply 377 of 423
    jowie74jowie74 Posts: 540member
    Quote:

I was scratching my head on an upgrade paths for ANY laptop. I've had PC laptops, and they're as easy or as hard as Apple laptops (some are as easy as a MacBook, some as hard as an MBP), but I don't know of any built-in upgrade paths... especially for CPU's or GPU's. I'm sure there are some out there, but generally a laptop is what it is with some extra ram or a bigger HD as it gets older. Or at least that's what I've usually found.

I bought the MacBook when it first came out. At the time I bought the Superdrive option and the faster processor (2GHz) because that's usually the part which isn't upgradable - since the whole architecture depends on it. I've just bought a 2GB upgrade for £30. I intend on buying a larger HD for about £60 at some point. That will then last me quite happily until the life of my MacBook runs out. Then I'll sell it on eBay for as much as I can get for it (since Apple hardware keeps its value I'm guessing that'll be a good £200 or more, though I don't rely on it).

I don't understand what anyone else wants as far as upgrade paths for a laptop. I'm perfectly happy and will definitely buy another Mac laptop when the time comes. People who bought Powerbooks will definitely be looking towards the new MacBook Pros. I don't understand how anybody can say Apple does not have a market.
  • Reply 378 of 423
    jowie74jowie74 Posts: 540member
    Quote:

My brother and another relative both bought Dell laptops two years ago. Both have already literally fallen to pieces (along with their laptops, har har). So much for processor upgrades. That must be great news - it's just a shame the rest of the machine won't go the distance.

Quote:

That's like comparing chalk with cheese. If you want a fully customisable chassis, get a Mac Pro. Apple does have that mindset.
  • Reply 379 of 423
    Quote:

Then it looks Dell is the right choice for you as they make many of items to allow for interchangeable parts. While this doesn't allow for the smallest package running the fastest machine, it does allow a lot of flexibility in their large lineup. The same way the major American. European, and Japanese automakers all use some of the same basic designs (eg: Chassis, electronics, engine).

Think of Apple as more like Rolls Royce. While you can get a faster vehicle, larger vehicle, one with more electronics, et cetera from other OEMs, you can only get a hand-crafted, specialized machine from a select few.

Apple already uses top of the line processors in their machines for the space, colling power allowed. If you were to move to the Extreme processors the machine may not be able to handle the power needs and certainly couldn't cool it efficiency. Or what about those who have a 1st gen CD MBP with a 90nm Yonah who think they can simply another chip because it uses the same Core moniker, despite the pins and die sizes between completely different?

And as previously mentioned, it's not financially feasible to go to all that trouble when the new machine parts are much cheaper and have better specs all around. It's like those idiots that add features to their cars to increase the specs but don't upgrade any associated parts and then wonder why it's not making much of a difference. Have you tried adding racing strips to your crusty MBP. That may work.
  • Reply 380 of 423
    Quote:

An LG Higher-res display would be a different model # TV. Ford will sell you any engine that will fit your vehicle. I don't know what Merc does, but since they are in the bottom ten of CU's reliability database, I will never own one, and therefore don't care about their policies.

On the contrary a MacBook Pro is still called a MacBook Pro.

Will Dell let you send in an antiquated machine and put in new a processor and GPU for you at no charge while under warranty? If so, then they might be the company for you.

As for your Ford will sellyou an engine retort, I would expect them to since they make the engine. I wouldn't expect Apple to sell me a one off Intel processor and neither should you.

A MacBook Pro is a MacBook Pro, but that doesn't mean they are the same inside.

You're best choice is to buy a Dell or buy a new MBP and sell your old one. The later option will be cheaper then the one you propose. I almost always sell my machine before the initial warranty is up. I then have the latest machine for penny on the dollar. I could even save more if I went generation back with a refurbished MBP. Your choice, just don't cry foul on Apple for making specialized machines and not wearing extra, unprofitable hats that serve no one.