iTunes now the No. 2 music retailer in the US

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
In addition to new notebooks on Tuesday, Apple announced that the latest market research data from NPD indicates that the iTunes Store recently surpassed Best Buy to become the number two music retailer in the US, behind only Wal-Mart.

The Cupertino-based company also said that there are now over 50 million iTunes Store customers who've combined to purchase over four billion songs, with an astounding 20 million songs sold on Christmas Day 2007 alone.

"We'd like to thank the over 50 million music lovers who have helped the iTunes Store reach this incredible milestone," said Eddy Cue, Apple's vice president of iTunes. "We continue to add great new features like iTunes Movie Rentals to give our customers even more reason to love iTunes."

iTunes had held the title of the No. 3 US music retail since last June, when it cruised by online retailer Amazon.com, snagging over 10 percent of the nation's overall music sales.

Apple's rank as a US music retail has been rising steadily ever since November 2005 when it passed Tower Records, Sam Goody and Borders to crack the Top-10 for the first time.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 50
    Holy shayazat
  • Reply 2 of 50
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    Got any actual figures? How far ahead is Wal-Mart?
  • Reply 3 of 50
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    This can't be! The pundits keep saying iTunes is failing, iPod is failing, Apple is failing. HAHA
  • Reply 5 of 50
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Apple never mentions it, but this is also a feather in the cap of the technologies that drive them iTunes Store and its massive data and user load: OS X Server, WebObjects, and Xserve.
  • Reply 6 of 50
    I will be the first to admit that I am a total Apple freak. I drink the kool aid daily. However, the iTMS has been replaced by Amazon MP3 as my default music store. Not because it is "better", but it is a little cheaper and the songs are DRM-free. I'm hoping Apple sees that Amazon has a competative product and improves the iTMS to match. I'd love for Apple to take the #1 spot in the near future.
  • Reply 7 of 50
    crebcreb Posts: 276member
    Congratulations Apple!
  • Reply 8 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by green-bee.salsa View Post

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9733430-7.html (Q1 2007)

If Best Buy or Walmart's percentage hasn't move then iTS is very close to overtaking Walmart too, accordign to the graph.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Malligator View Post

I will be the first to admit that I am a total Apple freak. I drink the kool aid daily. However, the iTMS has been replaced by Amazon MP3 as my default music store. Not because it is "better", but it is a little cheaper and the songs are DRM-free. I'm hoping Apple sees that Amazon has a competative product and improves the iTMS to match. I'd love for Apple to take the #1 spot in the near future.

Amazon also has twice the bitrate for that lowered price. I think the reason they agreed to go with DRM-free audio with Amazon is to usurp iTS successful hold. Unfortunately, it's more than just the value, it's also about the ease of use.
  • Reply 9 of 50
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Malligator View Post

I'm wondering just how that is actually affecting iTunes sales. not by much apparently.

Don't forget that Apple can't arbitrarily change their pricing. They have contracts, and so does Amazon, which is why Apple doesn't have all the DRM free songs Amazon does.
  • Reply 10 of 50
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eAi View Post

NPD is refusing to break out percentages this time around for whatever reason, but we're still trying to get it out of them. The belief -- given that Best Buy trailed Wal-Mart by only about 2 percentage points last June -- is that Apple (iTunes) is pretty close to becoming No. 1.

Best,

K
  • Reply 11 of 50
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eAi View Post

This is all they are offering us right now:

Ranking below is reflective of the amount of music sold in the U.S., based on a 12-track CD equivalency for music track downloads.

1. Wal-Mart

2. iTunes

3. Best Buy

4. Target

5. Amazon

Q4 2006 (for comparison -- NPD restated their data recently and does not cover full-year 2006):

1. Wal-Mart

2. Best Buy

3. Target

4. iTunes

5. Amazon
  • Reply 12 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Unfortunately, it's more than just the value, it's also about the ease of use.

More accurately:

It's more than just the cost, as the ease of use adds value
  • Reply 13 of 50
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Apple should consider partnering up with Amazon. This way they can benefit from Amazon's distributions channels for Mac sales and maybe even get some sort of deal to allow people to buy books on their ipod/iphone like they would with the kindle. Amazon benefits by not having the ITMS to compete with as well as increased traffic from the Apple/itunes customers. Amazon unbox + ITMS + Apple TV and so on.
  • Reply 14 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloodstains View Post

More accurately:

It's more than just the cost, as the ease of use adds value

That is better. Thank you.
  • Reply 15 of 50
    Was that 4 billion songs in 2008.... or reached 4 billion songs in 2008?

You know there are idiots out there that don't know the difference......
  • Reply 16 of 50
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Maybe its time the music industry target Wal-Mart for "too much power/control"
  • Reply 17 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wbrasington View Post

Was that 4 billion songs in 2008.... or reached 4 billion songs in 2008?

You know there are idiots out there that don't know the difference......

• Reply 18 of 50
    swiftswift Posts: 436member
    What really browns me off is the music label's decision to offer non-DRM'd tracks to Amazon, and elsewhere, but not to iTunes, even when Jobs offers them a higher price -- $1.29. Is it just that they're cheesed off, that Jobs forced their hands into dropping DRM? That Jobs kept his price at .99 cents when they wanted variable pricing? Do they want the kind of stunt pricing that record stores have been afflicted by? High price for the latest Britney or whoever, but very low for library? Do they want to restrict the availability of their library to emphasize the hit machine? Or has Jobs just proved right in so many negotiations that they're ticked off and want to punish them? And lastly, isn't there restraint of trade involved here? I mean, if they offer one set of terms to Amazon, and another to Apple, isn't that a cartel? An illegal combination? I mean, the music industry lost a big case, back in the day of CDs and physical stores, when it was revealed that they paid for all the music store ads, and then decided who got what and what price they had to sell it at. Right?

Got to admit, that's one set of negotiations I'd really like a peek at.

I agree about Amazon, and I love the availability of what tracks they have DRM-free. But if the labels started offering others the prime cut, but leaving Apple with the scrapings just to punish them, it's interesting that iTunes sales are still climbing, even with DRM.

Interesting, though: do they control the pricing of Wal-Mart's tracks? Usually, Wal-Mart controls their pricing, no? I mean, they're legendary for squeezing their sellers. I doubt if they do the labels any favors at all. So, uh, why should the number two retailer be any different? Huh?
  • Reply 19 of 50
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Swift View Post

What really browns me off is the music label's decision to offer non-DRM'd tracks to Amazon, and elsewhere, but not to iTunes, even when Jobs offers them a higher price -- $1.29. Is it just that they're cheesed off, that Jobs forced their hands into dropping DRM? That Jobs kept his price at .99 cents when they wanted variable pricing? Do they want the kind of stunt pricing that record stores have been afflicted by? High price for the latest Britney or whoever, but very low for library? Do they want to restrict the availability of their library to emphasize the hit machine? Or has Jobs just proved right in so many negotiations that they're ticked off and want to punish them? And lastly, isn't there restraint of trade involved here? I mean, if they offer one set of terms to Amazon, and another to Apple, isn't that a cartel? An illegal combination? I mean, the music industry lost a big case, back in the day of CDs and physical stores, when it was revealed that they paid for all the music store ads, and then decided who got what and what price they had to sell it at. Right?

Got to admit, that's one set of negotiations I'd really like a peek at.

I agree about Amazon, and I love the availability of what tracks they have DRM-free. But if the labels started offering others the prime cut, but leaving Apple with the scrapings just to punish them, it's interesting that iTunes sales are still climbing, even with DRM.

Interesting, though: do they control the pricing of Wal-Mart's tracks? Usually, Wal-Mart controls their pricing, no? I mean, they're legendary for squeezing their sellers. I doubt if they do the labels any favors at all. So, uh, why should the number two retailer be any different? Huh?

It does give the appearance of having become personal between some major labels and Apple.

The attempt to stifle the iTunes store seems to be going poorly, despite attacks on

multiple fronts. One wonders how long the shareholders to whom label execs are

responsible will tolerate the loss of potential revenue from iTunes sales, due to

these apparently failing moves.

With regard to Walmart, maybe they belong to the same country club, political movement,

or maybe there are incriminating photos involved.
  • Reply 20 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kasper View Post

NPD is refusing to break out percentages this time around for whatever reason, but we're still trying to get it out of them. The belief -- given that Best Buy trailed Wal-Mart by only about 2 percentage points last June -- is that Apple (iTunes) is pretty close to becoming No. 1.

Best,

K

Yeah, plus if this is for 2007 as a whole on average and Apple's trend has been upward, the current flow of sales might be even closer or even with iTunes as number 1 today (and by a wide margin in a couple of years).