Apple to serve as regulator for iPhone app distribution

Comments

• Reply 81 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Not any different when the first cell phones were introduced or the Mac for that matter. How about the XBox or the Blackberry. Even Nokia today has some phones that won't let it. Let's see, I can't put unleaded gas in my car.

What Nokia phones are you talking about?
  • Reply 82 of 141
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco View Post

Ahhh, "make one yourself." The last refuge of someone with his head up his a**.

Yes and Apple clearly doesn't give a damn about you, so go and make one yourself or find yourself another phone, nonsense.
  • Reply 83 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Brother, you have real issues. I was not talking about cell network crashes. Please read my first post on page 1 before replying to a post.

Salaams Nasser,

If I misunderstood your post please accept my forgiveness. My only concern was in reply to people that think an application can crash a cell network.
  • Reply 84 of 141
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

Salaams Nasser,

If I misunderstood your post please accept my forgiveness. My only concern was in reply to people that think an application can crash a cell network.

Apology accepted
  • Reply 85 of 141
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Please read correctly. I said you don't have to go through the source code to make sure there are no trojans or viruses, there are many ways to avoid them. Apple may accept only "trusted" developers though iTunes. I don't think Microsoft, IBM, google.. etc will be embedding their software with trojans or viruses.

You did say, however, and I am sure that they will have a quick way to check for viruses programed using it.

And now we're talking about 'trusted' publishers. What's a trusted publisher, someone willing to fork over $$$ to Apple for the right to be called 'trusted' (plus a little badge for their web site saying as such)?

On top of that, of all the developers of all the software I use, I get the most competent technical support, and quicker updates, from the 'small' developers, who are also more likely to develop small, yet useful, tools that larger companies would not find profitable to make.

And why all the concern over what gets on an iPhone, yet my computer, hooked up directly to the internet, is left to have installed any application I may decide I want.
  • Reply 86 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Louzer View Post

You did say, however, <i>and I am sure that they will have a quick way to check for viruses programed using it.</i>

And now we're talking about 'trusted' publishers. What's a trusted publisher, someone willing to fork over $$$ to Apple for the right to be called 'trusted' (plus a little badge for their web site saying as such)?

On top of that, of all the developers of all the software I use, I get the most competent technical support, and quicker updates, from the 'small' developers, who are also more likely to develop small, yet useful, tools that larger companies would not find profitable to make.

And why all the concern over what gets on an iPhone, yet my computer, hooked up directly to the internet, is left to have installed any application I may decide I want.

Yes, I am sure they have a way of checking for viruses written using the SDK. I doubt that iPhone applications will be that hard to analyze, the iPhone still have small processor and storage and may not be able to run large and complex programs.

Your computer have an Anti Virus software. Unlike a computer the iPhone IS a phone and if they totally open the iPhone someone can write a program that uses your iPhone to call 900 number or drain your minutes in the background.
  • Reply 87 of 141
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Who at Apple is going to be "testing" all of this new software in a timely manner?

The same people who can't quality-check their own software/hardware?
  • Reply 88 of 141
    Quote:

Yes, I am sure they have a way of checking for viruses written using the SDK. I doubt that iPhone applications will be that hard to analyze, the iPhone still have small processor and storage and may not be able to run large and complex programs.

Your computer have an Anti Virus software. Unlike a computer the iPhone IS a phone and if they totally open the iPhone someone can write a program that uses your iPhone to call 900 number or drain your minutes in the background.

This is highly unlikely. First, the iPhone is more iPod than phone. Second, an app like you mention would almost be spotted immediately by normal users of their phones. I have nothing wrong with Apple putting some sort of signing or security (put in a password) mechanism. The bottom line is that the current community of hackers ( I prefer the term "Different Thinkers") are very good at policing themselves. If you have hacker your iPhone and participated in the community, you would know this already.
  • Reply 89 of 141
    Quote:

Who at Apple is going to be "testing" all of this new software in a timely manner?

Yea ... the same people who allow you to only sort by "last opened" (as if anyone gives a crap) when you search using spotlight
  • Reply 90 of 141
    Quote:

Explain how an app can crash a network.

think the biggest fear is a rogue app could make expensive calls without your knowlege and land you a huge bill
  • Reply 91 of 141
    Quote:

Dude you do not understand.

Mate - I DO understand. I was merely making a reference that a rogue application *could* cause havoc on the data layer not necessarily the voice layer. The voice layer is fairly robust - but any al'e router can only handle that much crap
  • Reply 92 of 141
    Quote:

Brother, you have real issues. I was not talking about cell network crashes. Please read my first post on page 1 before replying to a post.

He was flaming me

But thanks anyway
  • Reply 93 of 141
    Quote:

Yep - thats the ones. Same group who makes sure that iLife addresses issues with OSX (or the other way round) - or making sure that your iSight does not crash some minority OS calles OSX. Anyway the left hand who takes care of the right hand
  • Reply 94 of 141
    If all applications have to be bought in binary form only from iTunes isn't this going to cause problems for developers using open source code in their apps if the code is under the GPL?
  • Reply 95 of 141
    Quote:

This is highly unlikely. First, the iPhone is more iPod than phone. Second, an app like you mention would almost be spotted immediately by normal users of their phones. I have nothing wrong with Apple putting some sort of signing or security (put in a password) mechanism. The bottom line is that the current community of hackers ( I prefer the term "Different Thinkers") are very good at policing themselves. If you have hacker your iPhone and participated in the community, you would know this already.

You are talking about developers not hackers. At my time (back in 1990s) hackers were bad thing, they are people who develop viruses to ruin your life. You have to keep in mind that most people are not computer expert. Last month, I reported more than 20 computers infected with viruses to our campus IT department as they try to infect my iMac through the network. Most of the infected users did not have any idea what a virus is.
  • Reply 96 of 141
    Quote:

Your computer have an Anti Virus software.

My computer may have anti-virus, but do you know how it works? It downloads signatures from a server and when a file is read, it compares the signature to the file, checking for a match. A new virus generally goes undetected until the security companies detect it, update their software, and release a new virus database to catch it.

Quote:

Unlike a computer the iPhone IS a phone and if they totally open the iPhone someone can write a program that uses your iPhone to call 900 number or drain your minutes in the background.

OK, but how is it OK for Apple to allow me to install haphazardly software on my mac that would allow someone to steal my keystrokes, leading to my bank account being siphoned?
  • Reply 97 of 141
    Time to catch up to the news

Free apps without approvals
  • Reply 98 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bluedalmatian View Post

If all applications have to be bought in binary form only from iTunes isn't this going to cause problems for developers using open source code in their apps if the code is under the GPL?

I don't think so. The biggest issue, as I see it, is the license needs to be viewed (or something like that), but I'm assuming you already have to do that for other software off iTunes. But, besides that, the developer can deal with all the other stuff (source code release, that kind of stuff) off their own website.
  • Reply 99 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freelander51 View Post

Mate - I DO understand. I was merely making a reference that a rogue application *could* cause havoc on the data layer not necessarily the voice layer. The voice layer is fairly robust - but any al'e router can only handle that much crap

No..... They will simply drop the data call. It is soooo simple. You are comparing a data call (cell wise), to data on the Internet. Many to most cell calls, data included are routed via fiber. Very little unless it is a call (data included) going cell to cell.
  • Reply 100 of 141
    Quote:

OK, but how is it OK for Apple to allow me to install haphazardly software on my mac that would allow someone to steal my keystrokes, leading to my bank account being siphoned?

Didn't you read my posts? I was saying if Apple open the iPhone completely that what would happen. That's why they "might" control the software you install iPhone, to avoid such software.