3G iPhone seen paving way for video capture, overseas adoption

Comments

• Reply 21 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zenwaves View Post

ditto, I've had $600 set aside for a 3G iPhone since December ... was foolishly hoping that it would be out by Macworld, but now it's getting closer!

I HAD to have a smart (ish) phone last year and was forced to purchase in Feb. '07 before the iPhone was introduced. I did a one year plan w/AT&T because I expected to be moving to a 2nd generation iPhone in mid '08. Still hoping that's the case because I'm learning to hate this Blackjack.

gc
  • Reply 22 of 78
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GordonComstock View Post

I did a one year plan w/AT&T because I expected to be moving to a 2nd generation iPhone in mid '08

I think that June?August is very likely. But I also expect Jobs to present the iPhone in a special keynote the day they submit it to the FCC. Either way, we'll have a many weeks' notice of its arrival. Not the "Apple way" of doing things but they can't get around that... I don't think.

What are others viewpoints and opinions on the next iPhone arrival? I'd like to get a fresh perspective on it.
  • Reply 23 of 78
    iThink we'll be looking at the second week of June, i Sure woud like a mac pro nahalem upgrade too, but Apple does't really release such specialized hardware at such critical point. Way to go on being Money mags #1 brand image in the United Stes of America. Not bad for a young company as Apple, Inc.

Thunk Different Blogger

• Reply 24 of 78
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThunkDifferent.com View Post

iThink we'll be looking at the second week of June, i Sure woud like a mac pro nahalem upgrade too, but Apple does't really release such specialized hardware at such critical point. Way to go on being Money mags #1 brand image in the United Stes of America. Not bad for a young company as Apple, Inc.

Thunk Different Blogger

I don't see email being useful on a screen that's barely wide enough to show the time. It's certainly not going to let you do any form of text entry.
  • Reply 25 of 78
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think that June?August is very likely. But I also expect Jobs to present the iPhone in a special keynote the day they submit it to the FCC. Either way, we'll have a many weeks' notice of its arrival. Not the "Apple way" of doing things but they can't get around that... I don't think.

What are others viewpoints and opinions on the next iPhone arrival? I'd like to get a fresh perspective on it.

What I haven't ever seen anyone mention in the context of the iPhone's FCC certification is that any device that has radio emissions must undergo these tests, and that includes computers.
  • Reply 26 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThunkDifferent.com View Post

iThink we'll be looking at the second week of June, i Sure woud like a mac pro nahalem upgrade too, but Apple does't really release such specialized hardware at such critical point

Of Apple's entire product line the Mac Pro will be the easiest to do with their history with Intel releasing chips to Apple first and the lowered unit sales make it easier to handle. However, they are being debuted in June, but we should see them until months later. Mobile Nehelam won't be ready until 2009. The Israeli manufacturing plant Intel is building for this is still under construction.

Quote:

Way to go on being Money mags #1 brand image in the United Stes of America. Not bad for a young company as Apple, Inc.

Personally, I think the decision may have been more a marketing choice than anything else. Perhaps I'm just being cynical.
  • Reply 27 of 78
    patsfan83patsfan83 Posts: 156member
    streaming HD video? What the heck is he talking about? First, where are you going to stream from? Macs can't even rent HD quality movies, only apple tv can. Second, WHY would you want to watch HD video that will have to get scaled down 4x to fit the screen, unless they invent the worlds smallest 1080p cell phone. Oh yeah you'd only be streaming GBs of data, hope the new phones have about 60 gigs in storage. how is this guy an analyst?
  • Reply 28 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

What I haven't ever seen anyone mention in the context of the iPhone's FCC certification is that any device that has radio emissions must undergo these tests, and that includes computers.

Does that include the entire device or just the radio portion, because I don't recall ever getting a heads up on a new computer being released from the FCC before Apple announced it? If that is the case then perhaps we won't have an y notice of the 3G iPhone before its unleashing.
  • Reply 29 of 78
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    About the processor speed.. Of course there will eventually be a next generation processor. But wasn't the current processor underclocked by several hundreds of mhz? I guess if they figure out a great way to run the processor at faster speeds without stealing battery they could just update the current processor with a firmware update as they have in the past.
  • Reply 30 of 78
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:

I am looking for ARM specs so we can determine what the next iPhone will most likely have. It's proving to be not as simple as Intel's well known roadmap.

I'm looking for Intel Atom instead
  • Reply 31 of 78
    Do you guys think that Apple will do away with wifi on the iPhone when a 3G model comes out? I doubt it seeing as how google maps uses it to triangulate your position. But this article says 3G will give you real time GPS. I'm not quite sure how thats going to work, but do you think wifi is worth the space it takes up if you have a 3G phone?
  • Reply 32 of 78
    Quote:

Does that include the entire device or just the radio portion, because I don't recall ever getting a heads up on a new computer being released from the FCC before Apple announced it? If that is the case then perhaps we won't have an y notice of the 3G iPhone before its unleashing.

Normally, the entire device must be certified. Apple once had some of its computers held up because of that.

In fact, because of the FCC's stringent "Subpart 15" certification process, you aren't even allowed to replace your computer cover with something else, as gamers often do.

The only thing I can think of that would matter, is that it's possible that the testing is now done by the UL. If so, we won't hear of it.
  • Reply 33 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

About the processor speed.. Of course there will eventually be a next generation processor. But wasn't the current processor underclocked by several hundreds of mhz? I guess if they figure out a great way to run the processor at faster speeds without stealing battery they could just update the current processor with a firmware update as they have in the past.

If they did underclock it, it would be because of battery drain. They would then need a newer cpu for the higher rate. I don't mean an entirely new cpu, but one that is several steppings later.
  • Reply 34 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HyteProsector View Post

Do you guys think that Apple will do away with wifi on the iPhone when a 3G model comes out?

Definitely not.
  • Reply 35 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HyteProsector View Post

Do you guys think that Apple will do away with wifi on the iPhone when a 3G model comes out? I doubt it seeing as how google maps uses it to triangulate your position. But this article says 3G will give you real time GPS. I'm not quite sure how thats going to work, but do you think wifi is worth the space it takes up if you have a 3G phone?

It'll still have WiFi. WiFi is becoming more ubiquitous; it's faster than 3G; it's cheaper than 3G as not everyone will have unlimited data or reside in 3G cell area; and the chip is smaller, cheaper and far less power hungry.

[CENTER]

(left) iPhone EDGE in purple and WiFi in green; (right) Blackjack UMTS in red[/CENTER]
  • Reply 36 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

The only thing I can think of that would matter, is that it's possible that the testing is now done by the UL. If so, we won't hear of it.

Wikipedia states that even with a UL approval it still needs an FCC approval. Perhaps they can fast track with a "good faith approval" if they use the UL's notes, but I doubt that.
  • Reply 37 of 78
    Quote:

Wikipedia states that even with a UL approval it still needs an FCC approval. Perhaps they can fast track with a "good faith approval" if they use the UL's notes, but I doubt that.

I didn't think it was correct, but possible. Apparently, you found it wasn't. Oh well, back to the drawing boards.
  • Reply 38 of 78
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

I'm looking for Intel Atom instead

Well you'll be looking for 3 years then.
  • Reply 39 of 78
    macfandavemacfandave Posts: 603member
    I've had an iPhone since September and have been mostly happy with the EDGE network. This 3G network of which you speak will have to be a helluva lot better than what I have now, or disappointment can turn into anger.

Are you sure it's going to be that great?

And, by the way, if you are one of those saying that the only thing holding you back from buying an iPhone was that it wasn't 3G, and the next version IS 3G, you damn well had better buy one or you are nothing but a liar!

I hope you are right. I hope the web on the iPhone becomes awesomely fast. But, I have also heard lots of hype and seen lots of under-delivering and I have this gnawing feeling that 3G will only be marginally better than EDGE. Don't bother throwing specs at me (USB 2.0 is better than FireWire 400? Yeah, right.), I'll reserve judgment until I can see real-world performance!
  • Reply 40 of 78
    rhowarthrhowarth Posts: 144member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post

Yeah, I thought that was pretty funny, too.

I would assume "streaming HD" means high definition for a mobile device. It's all relative, high definition just means higher than you're used to doesn't it? 320x240 is perfectly acceptable on a small screen, so something like 640x480 would be absolutely fantastic, etc. etc.

As for battery life and size, 2mm would be noticeably thicker. I really, really like the current iPhone form factor, though I guess I might grant you an extra 1mm at a push.

I'm not too worried about battery life. I'm never away from a computer for more than a day at a time, and I've got spare iPod dock connectors coming out of my ears, so if I had to charge it every night that wouldn't be too much of a problem. The fact I can comfortably go a couple of days without charging right now means I never have to worry about it.