Sony in Blu-ray talks with Apple, Microsoft

1235

Comments

  • Reply 81 of 101
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post


    Yes. It's exactly what it says. That Apple is a Rival to Sony which is representing Blu Ray. It seems pretty clear that is what Appleinsider wrote. Grammar wise it wouldn't be describing Apple and Microsoft as rivals because the sentence isn't structured that way. From the way the sentence is written you infer that Sony is the root and Apple and Microsoft are the balance, or remainder. It is without question that it is implied that Apple is a rival to Sony, or Blu Ray.

    But, in this case I don't see why Apple would be considered a rival.



    The Sentence:

    Quote:

    With its victory last month in the high-definition DVD format war, Sony is now said to be entertaining talks with rivals Apple and Microsoft over supplying its Blu-ray drives for future generations of the pair's electronics devices.



    Because Sony, Microsoft and Apple vie for the same markets, e.g., music players, they are in a sense rivals, corporately. Much like the Giants, Knicks and Rangers are rival sport franchises. However, their players are rivals only to each other in the same sport, not to any of the other team franchise members.



    If Apple is a rival to Sony because as you say it represents Blu-ray, than it would be a rival to Sony because it represents video cameras.
  • Reply 82 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    There is a USB2.0 port that could be made to recognize an Apple branded CD/DVD player or CD/DVD/BD player that sits under the AppleTV with a matching footprint and styling.



    A nested re-writable CD/DVD BluRay drive would be pretty great. If the drive could be networked with a MacBook Air, it would essentially increase the appeal ? for me, anyway ? of all three devices.
  • Reply 83 of 101
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    The Financial Times is now citing Sony Electronics chief executive Stan Glasgow… noted that prices should fall to $299 by this holiday shopping season and to about $200 next year.



    It should be noted that many feel that Blu-ray is here now and that Apple is amiss for not offering it. I would suggest that it is not that Apple is the ogre in this scenario. Right now, the right configuration is not available and most important, at the right price.



    In particular, the following is stated at FT.com* and perhaps gives us a better perspective of what is going on, e.g., in the last two paragraphs, it is stated,



    "On Blu-ray pricing, Mr Glasgow expects prices of players to drop to as low as $299 by the end of the year. They currently cost $399 and higher. He feels the price of a player could fall to about $200 by the end of 2009.…"



    Note however, the following caveat:



    "…The prices of Blu-ray players are not expected to fall as precipitously as they did with regular DVD players. The Blu-ray Association, the group controlling the standard, has yet to license it to Chinese manufacturers, who would be expected to drive down prices."



    Players only?



    Apple's fault? I don't think so!



    *http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/ca6017de-e...nclick_check=1
  • Reply 84 of 101
    As a professional videographer I need Blu Ray burner and player option A.S.A.P. for Mac Pro as well as BD Authoring for FC Studio 2 .

    Apple owes me that.

    Switching to Encore CS3 is not an option.
  • Reply 85 of 101
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    I hear you. I'm battling with Parallels right now trying to get it to recognize my Blu-ray burner so I can try some authoring in Windows.
  • Reply 86 of 101
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guartho View Post


    I hear you. I'm battling with Parallels right now trying to get it to recognize my Blu-ray burner so I can try some authoring in Windows.



    Did you try it in Boot Camp?
  • Reply 87 of 101
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    I have since tried it in boot Camp. I can burn a disc now. I can't burn one that will play, but I can burn a disc so that's progress
  • Reply 88 of 101
    I don't think it matters if it's practical to have BR in every device. I think it's a step in the progression towards digital HD movies. With that in mind I would like to see BR in everything. The sooner that happens, the sooner we can move on.
  • Reply 89 of 101
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,792member
    Apple is still shipping combo-drives standard in both the Mini and the MacBook lines.

    So if you're waiting to see "BR in everything", I wouldn't hold my breath.
  • Reply 90 of 101
    jamesgrjamesgr Posts: 14member
    I can only speak for myself here, but I am patiently waiting for Apple to release a Mac with a Blu-Ray drive and the software player to go along with it.



    Why? I am in the market for a new computer, and since I use my current laptop for a lot of movie watching and gaming on my new HDTV, I'd like to get a Blu-Ray drive to watch Blu-Ray movies and back up data. Regular DVDs also look a lot better driven by the laptop. Since the display is driven by the computer, I didn't need to buy an upsampling DVD player (yet).



    I was at a Sony store and was very impressed by the AR series machine that had two internal hard drives and a Blu-Ray player. The demo I watched was perfect. However, a show in iTunes has lots of distortions that would not be present on a commercially produced disc. I also like the sense of ownership I get from a DVD collector edition. That feeling is completely absent with online sales.



    Right now, I can buy a Blu-Ray laptop from Dell and Sony. Why not from Apple? Apple may be holding out so they can become a force in delivering online multimedia content, but they are actually hurting their computer sales in this case.
  • Reply 91 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shanika View Post


    As a professional videographer I need Blu Ray burner and player option A.S.A.P. for Mac Pro as well as BD Authoring for FC Studio 2 .

    Apple owes me that.



    This!



    Apple were in such a rush to brand Final Cut and iMovie with the 'HD' tag but there is still no on-board way to get those films onto a practical, viewable HD format for distribution and convenience.



    The current situation is ridiculous for videographers.
  • Reply 92 of 101
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by womblingfree View Post


    The current situation is ridiculous for videographers.



    QFT. I have a Blu-ray workflow on my Mac Pro, but it's thanks to Parallels and Windows!
  • Reply 93 of 101
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,792member
    I keep asking this question and getting a different answer.



    I added a Superdrive to my Power Mac G4 a few years after the drives were available.

    This was when the drives had dropped to $100 or so.



    For those people who have bought a Mac Pro with an Apple display since the January update, will they be able to swap in Blu-Ray drives and be able to use all the drive functions?



    I understand that you can read and write your own data now. What I'm asking is whether Blu-Ray's Movie DRM provisions (HDCP etc) can be implemented over the current DVI connections, or will it absolutely require machines with the newer ports? (HDMI or DisplayPort).
  • Reply 94 of 101
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,946member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post


    I keep asking this question and getting a different answer.



    I added a Superdrive to my Power Mac G4 a few years after the drives were available.

    This was when the drives had dropped to $100 or so.



    For those people who have bought a Mac Pro with an Apple display since the January update, will they be able to swap in Blu-Ray drives and be able to use all the drive functions?



    I understand that you can read and write your own data now. What I'm asking is whether Blu-Ray's Movie DRM provisions (HDCP etc) can be implemented over the current DVI connections, or will it absolutely require machines with the newer ports? (HDMI or DisplayPort).



    I think there is a lot of confusion, and I'm not totally certain that I understand it. I know HDCP can be done over DVI, but the transmitter and receiver must both support it for it to work. HDMI is basically DVI but with added functionality, some of those features and signal types can be supported by DVI.



    I think the newest Mac Pro supports HDCP, but that's just based on what people said on another forum, I don't even know if that's true. There is some heresay that Apple quietly added HDCP support to their Cinema Displays, but I've not seen that tested. If playing protected Blu-Rays is important to you, I suggest either holding off on a new purchase or accepting that you might need to trade up to a new machine when and if they do add that support. I hope they don't avoid supporting it on the grounds that Blu-Ray would compete with their iTunes store, but if supporting it means following the Vista path of becoming less stable just to support Blu-Ray, then I can go without. There's a chance that upgrading the video card might be enough, but as I understand it, the first revision Mac Pro don't work with the cards now in the second revision.
  • Reply 95 of 101
    It's the same situation as when digital video was introduced back in the mid/late nineties. We had to wait several years for DVD-burners to come along.
  • Reply 96 of 101
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


    I think there is a lot of confusion, and I'm not totally certain that I understand it. I know HDCP can be done over DVI, but the transmitter and receiver must both support it for it to work. HDMI is basically DVI but with added functionality, some of those features and signal types can be supported by DVI.



    I think the newest Mac Pro supports HDCP, but that's just based on what people said on another forum, I don't even know if that's true. There is some heresay that Apple quietly added HDCP support to their Cinema Displays, but I've not seen that tested. If playing protected Blu-Rays is important to you, I suggest either holding off on a new purchase or accepting that you might need to trade up to a new machine when and if they do add that support. I hope they don't avoid supporting it on the grounds that Blu-Ray would compete with their iTunes store, but if supporting it means following the Vista path of becoming less stable just to support Blu-Ray, then I can go without. There's a chance that upgrading the video card might be enough, but as I understand it, the first revision Mac Pro don't work with the cards now in the second revision.



    I have an old HDTV with component input no HDMI, and I successfully transmit 1080 signals from HDMI output out of my PS3 Blu Ray player. It does work without the two way communication. I have Digital HDMI with full sound options with no actual two way communication. I bought the converter on ebay. I didn't think it was going to work either because I had already tried it with other converters, but it's flawless.



    This is how it's done. Read the description. This is the one I have.
  • Reply 97 of 101
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    Well, it's been often said before in many threads that BD's biggest battle will be to dislodge DVD.



    Joe Sixer may well have the say in all of this.

    I think Apple has been smart to support HD DVD and BD - let the market determine what's required. Ok it's spoken, kinda - but not really because that battle was more about the studio's than anything else.



    Content is king - broadcast and the net could well have influence.

    Shit, it doesn't need to get any more complex than it already is for the content creators among us.



    Not everyone can win all time. BD ain't home and hosed yet.

    0.02c
  • Reply 98 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RobM View Post


    Well, it's been often said before in many threads that BD's biggest battle will be to dislodge DVD.



    As a movie format yes, but as a high capacity, portable storage medium, DVD is now a non-starter and overdue for relegation to the second division along with CD-R's.
  • Reply 99 of 101
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,268member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by womblingfree View Post


    As a movie format yes, but as a high capacity, portable storage medium, DVD is now a non-starter and overdue for relegation to the second division along with CD-R's.



    The problem is consumers aren't generating enough of their own content to warrant the need for 25/50GB backups consistently. Right now I'd gather than those wanting these size backups are primarily backing up video files and my issue here is that I like my video files to be available.



    With Time Machine and Time Capsule...Apple has pretty much placed their bet on where consumers are going to want to go with backups. Those asking for Blu-ray are typically people that want to watch movies or are avid videographers. Sadly...Apple is going to have little desire to add a device that entices you to forgo on downloading HD content from iTunes.



    Blu-ray will come but Apple will not promote it strongly is my bet.
  • Reply 100 of 101
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 612member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post


    Everybody on here who's been stating that Apple laptops and computers would not have nor need Blu- ray drives can now begin to eat crow- in huge portions.



    You won't see me upgrading my Dual Layer DVD-R MacBook anytime soon, but I can't say I won't get an external Blu-Ray burner for my Mac Pro, and rip high res MP4 which I will just play on my MacBook if wanted.



    But in regards to what you are say you have to think about it for a sec, will we really ever see, within the next 5 years, the need for a Blu-Ray Install Boot Disk? or a Blu-Ray disc with software to install? I mean yeah there could be an Adobe CS4 or CS5 on one Blu-Ray but that's pushing it.



    So, no dude, nobody's eating crow, but there will be some who want that Blu-Ray like 20%





    Laters...
Sign In or Register to comment.