Eating our words: Apple's Mac mini to rock on

Comments

• Reply 141 of 289
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

This is what I'm saying, so...

I have no idea why you think I've got a chip on my shoulder or why you think I would flame you.

Are you sure you are referring to me?

It was a bit confusing as stated but I think he was referring to Kolchak both times as having a "chip on his shoulder" and used you as an example of "getting it right" with his comment above your quoted text stating:
    "[Melgross] got it right on the money, there is no good reason to change the mini much other than updating it to the level of the MB:"
  • Reply 142 of 289
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,601member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It was a bit confusing as stated but I think he was referring to Kolchak both times as having a "chip on his shoulder" and used you as an example of "getting it right" with his comment above your quoted text stating:
    "[Melgross] got it right on the money, there is no good reason to change the mini much other than updating it to the level of the MB:"

I though he was, but I just want to be clear about it.
  • Reply 143 of 289
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EagerDragon View Post

You seem ready to fight, like you have a chip on your shoulder. Take a chill, other people are allowed to have opinions that differ from yours.

Yes, people are allowed to have different opinions. But it's very hard to know what you're talking about when you just come in and write, "You love to dream of a mini with capabilities no other Mac has." You who? It's not that hard to hit the reply button, which automatically quotes.

Quote:

But he does have a point. If you look at all the features that people are asking for, the price of the machine would rise considerably, as would the size.

All I asked for was proper attribution for what he was responding to, since it was very unclear.

Quote:

Then it would no longer be the Mini either in price or size.

It would become the Midi, without being a tower.

Some people. Not all. Quite a few of us are saying don't bother with expensive laptop components and use desktop components, which cost less for comparable or better performance. A 1TB 3.5" drive costs about the same as a 200GB 2.5" drive. Likewise, a 500GB desktop drive costs about the same as a 120GB laptop. That's a compelling difference in price. If Apple were to use the cheaper components, they could get a $500 mini with only a small sacrifice in footprint, or even a smaller footprint if they do something like Dell's ultra small form factor towers.
  • Reply 144 of 289
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

Some people. Not all. Quite a few of us are saying don't bother with expensive laptop components and use desktop components, which cost less for comparable or better performance. A 1TB 3.5" drive costs about the same as a 200GB 2.5" drive. Likewise, a 500GB desktop drive costs about the same as a 120GB laptop. That's a compelling difference in price. If Apple were to use the cheaper components, they could get a $500 mini with only a small sacrifice in footprint, or even a smaller footprint if they do something like Dell's ultra small form factor towers.

I don't think we would see a difference in price.

We seem to have gone over this before.

The savings in one area would be made up by the extra expense in another. Bigger desktop drives use much more power, and give off much more heat than do laptop drives, so a bigger power supply, fan and case is in order. A total remake of the Mobo and other components would also be required. I really don't see much savings.

Not that I disagree with your proposition. I agree that this would make for a more desirable machine, though it would be noisier.

Dell's towers are less expensive because Dell accepts a much lower margin on its cheap products that is made up by their vast sales of servers and professional services, neither of which Apple has.
  • Reply 145 of 289
    Quote:

This is what I'm saying, so...

I have no idea why you think I've got a chip on my shoulder or why you think I would flame you.

Are you sure you are referring to me?

Not you I was talking to another guy (kolchak).

Your post was listed as one that was realistic.

So it was not about you, sorry.
  • Reply 146 of 289
    Inquiring minds want to know...

I was curious to know the price of a comparable Dell mini-tower. Unfortunately, that is not possible. The cheapest Dell starts at $350, but includes an 1.6GHz Celeron, They have a C2D option for $180 more, but that is 2.33Ghz (E6540) desktop version. The CPU in the Dell is $170 on Newegg, while the 2.0GHz (T7200) notebook version used in the Mini is $300.

Newegg also sells the default internal 3.5" 250GB HDD as low as $60 and the default 2.5" 120GB HDD as low as $70, so that is pretty much a wash. Dell also charges $120 more for the best version of Vista over Vista Basic (there is no XP offer), $40 for BT and $30 for 2xFW400, but Dell also offers many options that Apple doesn't and most won't need BT or FW. In Dell's favour, they did offer 2GB 667MHz RAM for half the price of Apple.

In the end, the Dell is a better deal on paper but you also get Vista and all the crapware that comes with these builds. I don't think the small difference in price is inconsequential compared to simplicity, which is one reason I think we are seeing so many switchers to OS X.
  • Reply 147 of 289
    archer75archer75 Posts: 204member
    If they had the new Intel x4500HD video(coming out in june) I will be really impressed. 3x faster than the current x3100 and can handle full HD video off loading. Not bad for an onboard chip.
  • Reply 148 of 289
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by archer75 View Post

If they had the new Intel x4500HD video I will be really impressed. 3x faster than the current x3100 and can handle full HD video off loading. Not bad for an onboard chip.

But it doesn't even have the 3100, yet. MacBooks will get the 4500 a long time before the Mini will.
  • Reply 149 of 289
    Quote:

I was curious to know the price of a comparable Dell mini-tower. Unfortunately, that is not possible. The cheapest Dell starts at $350, but includes an 1.6GHz Celeron, They have a C2D option for $180 more, but that is 2.33Ghz (E6540) desktop version. The CPU in the Dell is $170 on Newegg, while the 2.0GHz (T7200) notebook version used in the Mini is $300.

Newegg also sells the default internal 3.5" 250GB HDD as low as $60 and the default 2.5" 120GB HDD as low as $70, so that is pretty much a wash. Dell also charges $120 for the best version of Vista (there is no XP offer), $40 for BT and $30 for 2xFW400, but Dell also offers many options that Apple doesn't and most won't need BT or FW. In Dell's favour, they did offer 2GB 667MHz RAM for half the price of Apple.

In the end, the Dell is a better deal on paper but you also get Vista and all the crapware that comes with these builds. I don't think the small difference in price is inconsequential compared to simplicity, which is one reason I think we are seeing so many switchers to OS X.

some dells have built in firewire and you can get firewire cards $9-$20 on line.
  • Reply 150 of 289
    Quote:

But it doesn't even have the 3100, yet. MacBooks will get the 4500 a long time before the Mini will.

True. But if they want to do a major update this is it. And it would serve to get the mini's into the living rooms(apple tv not doing so hot). I know it would replace my HTPC and front row would be useful. It also makes a nice little server. There are lots of uses for them.

You never know.
  • Reply 151 of 289
    Quote:

Newegg also sells the default internal 3.5" 250GB HDD as low as $60 and the default 2.5" 120GB HDD as low as $70, so that is pretty much a wash. Dell also charges $120 more for the best version of Vista over Vista Basic (there is no XP offer), $40 for BT and $30 for 2xFW400, but Dell also offers many options that Apple doesn't and most won't need BT or FW. In Dell's favour, they did offer 2GB 667MHz RAM for half the price of Apple.

Don't forget coupons. You never buy a dell without one, especially when new ones are posted every day. It's not unusual to find a quad core system with an LCD for under $600.
  • Reply 152 of 289
    Quote:

True. But if they want to do a major update this is it. And it would serve to get the mini's into the living rooms(apple tv not doing so hot). I know it would replace my HTPC and front row would be useful.

You never know.

The Miini has never been a forerunner for new tech from Apple. I wouldn't expect it now. If we see an updated Mini in the same case it will be using nothing greater than the current midrange MacBook components.

Quote:

Don't forget coupons. You never buy a dell without one, especially when new ones are posted every day. It's not unusual to find a quad core system with an LCD for under $600.

I always forget coupons. Partly because I never use them (for anything) and partly because frugal shoppers looking for the cheapest* deal are not the demographic Apple is targeting.

* Cheapest, as in the initial cost with no consideration for total cost of ownership.
  • Reply 153 of 289
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    For those pricing concern.

I dont think pricing is a big concern for using X4500 HD. Considering Intel is aggressively pricing it ( I cant

remember how much it was but it was around the same price as a P45. )

I hope Apple seriously work on the Intel Drivers to bring the best out of it.

Previously Mac Mini is expensive because of its small form factor. Manufacturing Mini - ITX Mb is expensive because of its small quantities. Only few Mb Manufacturer is making it. But recent years ( or months ) we have seen a big explosion of Mini ITX Mb. I am not sure if there is a market demand surge or a Push from Intel Atom Based Processor. But this should be more then enough to off set the cost from G45.

A few Mini ITX broad here

http://www.mini-itx.com/

The broad will properly stripped with only 2 Internal SATA , 1x PCI Express, 1 ESATA, 4 USB, 1 DisplayPort and 1 Firewire and 1 Gigabit Ethernet. as well as Audio Port.

As For DisplayPort. I think HDMI is a replacement to S-Video, Component. Not DVI and LDVS. That is What DisplayPort is for. It allow daisy chain for easy Muti Monitor connection. And in future Data Link for USB data transfer.

Although i have no idea about the cost of DisplayPort Chip would add. ( Or if it is needed for G45 )
  • Reply 154 of 289
    ronsterronster Posts: 153member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ksec View Post

For those pricing concern.

I dont think pricing is a big concern for using X4500 HD. Considering Intel is aggressively pricing it ( I cant

remember how much it was but it was around the same price as a P45. )

I hope Apple seriously work on the Intel Drivers to bring the best out of it.

Previously Mac Mini is expensive because of its small form factor. Manufacturing Mini - ITX Mb is expensive because of its small quantities. Only few Mb Manufacturer is making it. But recent years ( or months ) we have seen a big explosion of Mini ITX Mb. I am not sure if there is a market demand surge or a Push from Intel Atom Based Processor. But this should be more then enough to off set the cost from G45.

A few Mini ITX broad here

http://www.mini-itx.com/

The broad will properly stripped with only 2 Internal SATA , 1x PCI Express, 1 ESATA, 4 USB, 1 DisplayPort and 1 Firewire and 1 Gigabit Ethernet. as well as Audio Port.

As For DisplayPort. I think HDMI is a replacement to S-Video, Component. Not DVI and LDVS. That is What DisplayPort is for. It allow daisy chain for easy Muti Monitor connection. And in future Data Link for USB data transfer.

Although i have no idea about the cost of DisplayPort Chip would add. ( Or if it is needed for G45 )

As one poster earlier stated, it looks like Apple will follow the normal pattern of using the parts used in the Macbook to update the Mac Mini. But if Apple wanted to "go in a different direction" , using a Mini ITX board like the one above would be a good move. They could also use this type for a Apple TV upgrade as well, using the announced Intel Atom processor....
  • Reply 155 of 289
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ronster View Post

As one poster earlier stated, it looks like Apple will follow the normal pattern of using the parts used in the Macbook to update the Mac Mini. But if Apple wanted to "go in a different direction" , using a Mini ITX board like the one above would be a good move. They could also use this type for a Apple TV upgrade as well, using the announced Intel Atom processor....

Using Atom later on down the road in the AppleTV seems like a good move so long as they keep that discrete GPU, but they will most definitely design the mobo from the ground up as usual. I've heard that part of this decision is to make it harder for hackers to port OS X, but I can't confirm that.
  • Reply 156 of 289
    gastroboygastroboy Posts: 530member
    Quote:

What do you mean by "great idea"? It's bijou size requires it to use more expensive components for the performance and capacity compared to PC desktops. This means it will never be competitive with most desktops.

I don't expect it to be cheaper than most PC desktops (as it isn't one) but it isn't even close, nor does it even make sense against iMacs which are in effect even more compact being merely oversize screens without a box or brick.

The consumer seems perfectly aware of this as they jump at the iMac and give the Mac mini a pass.

Apple however sells the unbelievable story that combined with existing monitor, keyboard and mouse it is cheap. Comparing like with like, a PC without all those as well is way cheaper. In practice there are also necessary compromises or adaptors to make the whole thing work so it all ends up being ugly, clumsy and therefore unattractive.

Quote:

What Apple needs to be comparable to the majority of other headless desktops out there is the mid-range tower that people?especially on this forum?have been asking for for years. The Mini in it's current form can never be that.

I, like many others, totally agree with you on the need for a headless desktop. Being Apple, maybe an ultra thin pizza box.

I have long called for a DVD sized Mac that fits consumer's entertainment components and does what the mini does. It becomes the stealth Mac that sneaks into a household's entertainment system using their flat panel TV for email, internet and multimedia replacing the PC they would normally buy.

Market it as the ePod or something similar and come at Mac-averse consumers from a completely different direction.
  • Reply 157 of 289
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EagerDragon View Post

Not you I was talking to another guy (kolchak).

Your post was listed as one that was realistic.

So it was not about you, sorry.

Thanks. Just wanted to be sure.
  • Reply 158 of 289
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

My friend I think you are unaware of Murphy's law #23.

This states that the probability of any Apple thread morphing into a discussion of the xMac is directly proportional to its length.

The corollary of that is that any thread over 6 pages has a 100% certainty of digressing into an xMac thread.

And any thread about the mini by page 1.
  • Reply 159 of 289
    guinnessguinness Posts: 473member
    Quote:

Vista is fine, heavy on the resources, but most PCs are coming with 2 or 3 GB anymore, it's just so cheap. Leopard is better overall, but Windows is still king in enterprise, and that's were I do most of my work.

The chief problem with Vista is the bloatware (which keeps the prices down, by subsidizing the cost) as it really does slow down startup processes. It took me about a half an hour to uninstall all the WildTangent trials and Google apps from my Toshiba (although now I just use my Vista disk to do a clean install, and it flys).

I actually like the new Dell Inspiron 1525s quite a bit, and the new e5600/5000 series is absolutely gorgeous.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/22/d...ptops-pack-gp/

Apple needs to take more risks/offer more options - the one size fits all just doesn't cut it. But will only go as far as Jobs' vision will carry it (good or bad).
  • Reply 160 of 289
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guinness View Post

The chief problem with Vista is the bloatware (which keeps the prices down, by subsidizing the cost) as it really does slow down startup processes. It took me about a half an hour to uninstall all the WildTangent trials and Google apps from my Toshiba (although now I just use my Vista disk to do a clean install, and it flys).

While Windows is a bloated mess, its market share is huge and it's Ground Zero for the hacker community.

Why hasn't anyone come up with a program that wipes all that stuff from the hard drive with one pass?

Too easy and Mac-like a solution?