Rumor: Digg founder claims 3G iPhone to do video chat

Comments

• Reply 21 of 100
    Sources tell me that the next iPhone will help keep your cooked bacon flat and will push away people standing on the left side of the escalator.
  • Reply 22 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RunLevelZero View Post

I registered just because this annoyed me. The video oh so elegantly leaves out the parts where Kevin VERY specifically says, this is all rumor. He said that he had some different sources than last year. Also at the end when he said, "don't post this on Digg", he actually said, don't post this on digg because I don't want it to come back on me when all this sh** is wrong.

Just FYI

Kevin is living proof that anyone with too much time on their hands and no interest in digging for real tidbits can just make up lame stuff over and over and still get people to fall for it.

Jeese...... what a bunch of ma-rooons.
  • Reply 23 of 100
    slapppyslapppy Posts: 331member
    If this was real, and I really hope it is. It will bring in a new era in the way we communicate. As long as Apple can implement it smoothly. Meaning the experience would be top notch like the iPhone/Touch UI experience.
  • Reply 24 of 100
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by naphtali View Post

I don't think it's anything surprising, let alone off the wall. A vast majority of 3G phones have 2 cameras, one for video-conferencing and another for regular photo-taking like the current iPhone camera.

Likewise, video chat is not a rarity at all. It's not commonly used in many places due to high data charges, but the feature is already supported on most/all 3G phones.

If it's not commonly used, is there really much of a point in demanding it? It sounds like the new version of the Emperor's New Clothes. Everyone wants a feature, but almost no one really understands or admits that they don't need or use it. So why do people want it? Because the next guy has it?
  • Reply 25 of 100
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

I don't care if it's just wishful thinking on his part or just to get more hits on his site or whatever. To me, it sounds like a great idea to have a videoconferencing iPhone for social and business interaction. The only problem now that the hype has started, if the 2-camera model doesn't get announced, then there's going to be a major letdown.

No doubt about it, Kevin Rose has stirred up a hornet's nest. He'll be condemned as a liar and an idiot. That's the price you pay for making off-the-wall statements based on probably somebody having a happy dream.

Won't be a let-down for me. Just what I want to be subjected to... jerkey hand-held 'video' of someone's face while I try to (oh what's it called again... oh yeah...) TALK to someone one the GD phone.

Please. A solution in search of a problem.

Put in a good camera. (Or better yet, open up the docking connector to good snap-on camera with flash, good lenses, zoom, its own battery, etc.)
  • Reply 26 of 100
    "Kevin is living proof that anyone with too much time on their hands and no interest in digging for real tidbits can just make up lame stuff over and over and still get people to fall for it.

Jeese...... what a bunch of ma-rooons."

What? Why did you quote me? I don't think all too many believe him either. At this point we all know it's wishful thinking. Dual camera? I doubt it with how battery conscience Apple is, especially if they really are adding 3G.
  • Reply 27 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

The only problem now that the hype has started, if the 2-camera model doesn't get announced, then there's going to be a major letdown.

Yeah. The stock is going to see-saw for a while if this keeps up.

The next time it gets to $200+, I am selling. I think. Well, maybe some. Well, maybe just enough to buy the 3G phone in whatever manifestation it assumes.....
  • Reply 28 of 100
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RunLevelZero View Post

WTH is your point?

Who are you responding to?
  • Reply 29 of 100
    wow, I didn't realize how wildly unpopular digg is 'round these parts.

Unsubstantiated claims and rumors are nothing new to this community... I don't doubt that a future version of the iphone will indeed have this technology, maybe 3rd revision.

I love Digg, and I happen to like Kevin Rose, thats not to say everything he says is the gospel, but with that being said... am I the only one who remembers AOL IM being shown at the SDK Event?????

-Roy
  • Reply 30 of 100
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Who listens to Kevin Rose? He's a drunk idiot.
  • Reply 31 of 100
    Some of you seem ready to stone the guy to death.

I separate the person from his sources. This happens all the time. Sources have old information or have been provided with false data from Steve and friends.
    • The issue with the double battery was likely correct, there were probably a single Batt and a dual Batt device, a change was probably made at the last minute.

• The slide out keyboard was probably coming out of mis-information from Apple itself, to trow people off. Remember there were many different models of the iPhone, at least 10, likely there were more than that but some of them were for dis-information.

• The video on the front is something logical that many of us have asked for since the phone came out.

I think he is being honest, but some of his sources maybe compromised or the information maybe several months old and some of the decisions may have changed.

Are you going after him or his sources?
  • Reply 32 of 100
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EagerDragon View Post

We're just good and ready for a public stoning. Bring your own rock.
  • Reply 33 of 100
    Most people would rather not look at each other....
  • Reply 34 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gm7Cadd9 View Post

wow, I didn't realize how wildly unpopular digg is 'round these parts.

Unsubstantiated claims and rumors are nothing new to this community... I don't doubt that a future version of the iphone will indeed have this technology, maybe 3rd revision.

I love Digg, and I happen to like Kevin Rose, thats not to say everything he says is the gospel, but with that being said... am I the only one who remembers AOL IM being shown at the SDK Event?????

-Roy

I remember the AOL IM demo. The AI forums seem to be home to Extreme Fanbois.

If a rumor doesn't start from here, then it is bogus and you must denigrate the source, whether or not the feature might be useful. A rumor is just a rumor. No need to get all worked up and flame on. As other phones have higher resolution cameras, it certainly would be nice if the iPhone had a higher resolution camera. *IF* video conferencing were to be supported it would make sense to add a second one on the front. Here's hoping we get a least a 5megapixel camera, like the nokia units have.
  • Reply 35 of 100
    I am not sure apple will put another camera on the Iphone.

Take a look at a "work around" for that.

http://www.createthefuturecontest.co...ml?entryID=365

Fair disclosure, I designed the concept for a competition that is over, I came in 6th of 629 (they had a strange way of counting votes)

Flame away! \
  • Reply 36 of 100
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    Why do we need two cameras? My current 3G phone has a camera that swivels. Are we relaly that lazy that we can't swivel a camera to do video iChats?
  • Reply 37 of 100
    [
    QUOTE=lecorbu;1233247]I am not sure apple will put another camera on the Iphone.

Take a look at a "work around" for that.

Fair disclosure, I designed the concept for a competition that is over, I came in 6th of 629 (they had a strange way of counting votes)

Flame away! \[/QUOTE]
    Broken link, oops

• Reply 38 of 100
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

Why do we need two cameras? My current 3G phone has a camera that swivels. Are we relaly that lazy that we can't swivel a camera to do video iChats?

We don't need one camera on a phone either. The simple answer is that a 2nd camera is less costly and less prone to break than adding a moving component.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lecorbu View Post

Broken link, oops

You can edit a post. You don't need to make another one to correct syntax errors.
  • Reply 39 of 100
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

If it's not commonly used, is there really much of a point in demanding it? It sounds like the new version of the Emperor's New Clothes. Everyone wants a feature, but almost no one really understands or admits that they don't need or use it. So why do people want it? Because the next guy has it?

that was my first thought. how many people do you see doing video calls outside of telecom commercials and sales rooms? one thing apple does not suffer from is 'featuritis' and adding more hardware to the iphone to appeal to a small percent of potential users is not apple's style. i'm sure there are other features that are more important to a larger base that should be considered first.
  • Reply 40 of 100
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EagerDragon View Post

Some of you seem ready to stone the guy to death.

I separate the person from his sources. This happens all the time. Sources have old information or have been provided with false data from Steve and friends.

We don't know if he does have any sources.

Quote:
    • The issue with the double battery was likely correct, there were probably a single Batt and a dual Batt device, a change was probably made at the last minute.

• You have no idea if they were ever true. You might as well think up any old idea for a phone and say that it was also tried at Apple, but rejected. That wouldn't be any more correct.

Quote:

• The slide out keyboard was probably coming out of mis-information from Apple itself, to trow people off. Remember there were many different models of the iPhone, at least 10, likely there were more than that but some of them were for dis-information.

• The video on the front is something logical that many of us have asked for since the phone came out.

What misinformation? How many other places reported on them as being what Apple was going to come out with? Sure, there was speculation as to what Apple might come out with, but that's different.

Quote:

I think he is being honest, but some of his sources maybe compromised or the information maybe several months old and some of the decisions may have changed.

I think he just wanted some publicity.

Again, what sources?