Rumor: Digg founder claims 3G iPhone to do video chat

Comments

• Reply 41 of 100
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by danielandrews View Post

Just like that version of the iPhone he said he saw with the slide out keyboard & 2 batteries?

http://www.techcrunch.com/2006/12/03...om-kevin-rose/

The digg guys are tools, I wouldn't listen to a word he has to say.

This Kevin Rose guy sounds like an idiot.
  • Reply 42 of 100
    Personally I like the idea of 2 cameras - my wife has a video call to her brother in Australia just about every day and it has been a blessing since she has been undergoing chemo for leukemia since Oct 06. The power for video calls is, I think, generally underestimated and adding it to the iPhone would be a significant selling point for many.

An important question: if Apple wants to hold the video to iChat (no Skype) will they provide a Windows version of iChat for iPhone users? That would be important for those that want to "call home" and also in business.

Personally I'm still waiting for a minimum of 32 gigs of memory because I believe that new apps for the iPhone will really take off in the second half of the year. 100,000 copies of the SDK downloaded in 4 days is a strong indication that there will be a lot of great stuff for us soon.

Throw in the 2nd camera, boost the memory and (hopefully) improve the pix count on the back camera to 4/5 m/pixs and you have a powerful iPhone that will drive the competition nuts.
  • Reply 43 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kenaustus View Post

Personally I like the idea of 2 cameras - my wife has a video call to her brother in Australia just about every day and it has been a blessing since she has been undergoing chemo for leukemia since Oct 06. The power for video calls is, I think, generally underestimated and adding it to the iPhone would be a significant selling point for many.

An important question: if Apple wants to hold the video to iChat (no Skype) will they provide a Windows version of iChat for iPhone users? That would be important for those that want to "call home" and also in business.

Personally I'm still waiting for a minimum of 32 gigs of memory because I believe that new apps for the iPhone will really take off in the second half of the year. 100,000 copies of the SDK downloaded in 4 days is a strong indication that there will be a lot of great stuff for us soon.

Throw in the 2nd camera, boost the memory and (hopefully) improve the pix count on the back camera to 4/5 m/pixs and you have a powerful iPhone that will drive the competition nuts.

Oh I believe that Apple is coming out with a video conferencing mobile device thats for sure. But slide out keyboard? Umm.......no.
  • Reply 44 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RunLevelZero View Post

"Kevin is living proof that anyone with too much time on their hands and no interest in digging for real tidbits can just make up lame stuff over and over and still get people to fall for it.

Jeese...... what a bunch of ma-rooons."

What? Why did you quote me? I don't think all too many believe him either. At this point we all know it's wishful thinking. Dual camera? I doubt it with how battery conscience Apple is, especially if they really are adding 3G.

I don't think ANYBODY with a brain "believes" him.

It isn't even wishful thinking.

It might be wishing, but it isn't thinking and it's amazing Kevin can get anyone to think anything he spews is possible after that keyboard joke he did.

I'm surprised he isn't saying sat. radio, FM radio, built in GPS, or some of the other pie in the sky stuff people seem to "know" from a "rumor" Apple has in the new 3G phone.

Come on guys, there is no rumor.

This is all made up to pass the time.

If Appleinsider didn't have this today, it wouldn't have anything.

Ever slow day, this stuff drools out.

Let's be a little brighter than all of this.

Two batteries?
  • Reply 45 of 100
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    this makes just soooo much sense to enhance the 3g iphone, even if you don't have 3g in your area, you'd find wifi. that would make it just plain mega-awesome. remember it is the premier internet device. this is a simple extension of what many 3g phones ALREADY HAVE, it's not like re-inventing the wheel. i'm sure SJ has all kinds of 3g phones in apple testing groups to find the best experience for his iphone.

also with ichat you can scale back the bandwidth, when i used this video ichat (macbook) on a recent trip to chicago, i was able to check my little girls homework by scaling back the bandwidth to 200kbs and worked just fine (on wifi)

ww...this would be awesome. i said that already
  • Reply 46 of 100
    jimerljimerl Posts: 53member
    Firstly the 'slide-out' kbd was from b4 the iphone came out.

However, can you not see how the virtualness of the slide-out kbd could have been confused?

Also notice that the complaints on the virtual kbd have gone and been replaced by ms innovation in mw7?

I agree that the 2 camera solution seems way to inelegant for steve. 2 pieces to do one job.

But could '2-cameras' really be a single camera w/ 2 irises that are controlled by lcd's that'll darken for the one(s) not in use - very small - no moving parts - no 'extra' camera - nicely elegant. (patent pending) - ant not some goofy hack like having the camera ALWAYS on to detect movement and orientation (BWAHAWHAW!)

e

"Man has become slave to his technology."

p.s. i cant wait to get an iphone pro!
  • Reply 47 of 100
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    i'd rather have video chat than GPS...do other 3g phones have both??
  • Reply 48 of 100
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jimerl View Post

I agree that the 2 camera solution seems way to inelegant for steve. 2 pieces to do one job.

But could '2-cameras' really be a single camera w/ 2 irises that are controlled by lcd's that'll darken for the one(s) not in use - very small - no moving parts - no 'extra' camera - nicely elegant. (patent pending) - ant not some goofy hack like having the camera ALWAYS on to detect movement and orientation

I'm not convinced that Apple will use a 2nd, front-facing camera, but I don't think it's inelegant. A front-facing camera would be low resolution so it works for video chat. This isn't expensive or takes up much room, and would be pretty much invisible unless the light hit the glass front the right way. Having one camera that would reflect off different angles is overly complex, even if it doesn't having moving parts.
  • Reply 49 of 100
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    If I really want to see other people I can use iChat or Skype and a computer, i.e. large screen. Video calling on phone is nothing but a gimmick if you ask me. Apple should [if this is true] forget about it right now and concentrate on 3G web-surfing, built-in GPS, longer battery-life and more storage.
  • Reply 50 of 100
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Apple should [if this is true] forget about it right now and concentrate on 3G web-surfing, built-in GPS, longer battery-life and more storage.

And if they are going to add anything to the camera functionality, add a flash.
  • Reply 51 of 100
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

And if they are going to add anything to the camera functionality, add a flash.

I can see them adding that, but not in the next version. Maybe 2 or 3 years time.
  • Reply 52 of 100
    freenyfreeny Posts: 128member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TimUSCA View Post

Right, except you obviously don't get it... the point of Digg is to tell other people about sites that others have found. Social bookmarking is what they call it... sure, I can go to the individual pages and comment on there, but I wouldn't have found that particular article in the first place of not for Digg, Reddit, Slashdot, etc... its a hell of a lot easier than going to 5000 websites a day looking for updates.

So its a popularity meter?
  • Reply 53 of 100
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

This Kevin Rose guy sounds like an idiot.

Watch one of his video podcasts and I defy you to come to a different conclusion.
  • Reply 54 of 100
    More sloppy reporting and grammar from AI

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Rose told viewers that Apple may be restricting third parties from authoring applications that run in both the foreground and background partly because it doesn't want a competitor to its own mobile iChat application that will do just that.

If Apple is trying to kill third party chat programs, why did they give such prime exposure to AOL's beta of AIM for iPhone at the SDK special event?

Quote:

More specifically, he claims that a 3G version of the iPhone hardware due in a few months will employ two digital cameras situated back-to-back -- one on the front side of the unit behind the transparent touch-screen, and a second one on the back of the handset as it exists today.

He does NOT say the video camera is under the transparent touch-screen, which would be ridiculously complex and expensive, he says it is "under the glass" while very clearly pointing to the extreme top right corner of the device's front, above the touch-screen.

Quote:

In the week's leading up to last year's iPhone introduction....

In the week's what leading up to last year's iPhone introduction?
  • Reply 55 of 100
    blingemblingem Posts: 94member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lecorbu View Post

[
    QUOTE=lecorbu;1233247]I am not sure apple will put another camera on the Iphone.

Take a look at a "work around" for that.

http://www.createthefuturecontest.co...ml?entryID=365

Fair disclosure, I designed the concept for a competition that is over, I came in 6th of 629 (they had a strange way of counting votes)

Flame away! \

Broken link, oops

http://www.createthefuturecontest.co...ml?entryID=365[/QUOTE]

The iEye? If one person thinks of another parody on iShi*t, I might croak. Or better yet, call your device the isight...oh wait...

Good idea aside from the name. Oh yeah, and they've had this in Japan for like 5 yrs now. We in the US still get freaked out by flying robots too. Get with the program, the irobot is on its way....at the next WWDC according to digg
  • Reply 56 of 100
    Quote:

Digg founder Kevin Rose, whose first-generation iPhone rumors fell short of their mark last Spring, is citing different sources this year in predicting that the 3G version of the handset will boast video chat capabilities.

During a 90 second segment of his weekly Podcast show "Diggnation" this past Friday, Rose told viewers that Apple may be restricting third parties from authoring applications that run in both the foreground and background partly because it doesn't want a competitor to its own mobile iChat application that will do just that.

More specifically, he claims that a 3G version of the iPhone hardware due in a few months will employ two digital cameras situated back-to-back -- one on the front side of the unit behind the transparent touch-screen, and a second one on the back of the handset as it exists today.

Combined with the mobile iChat application, the front-mounted cam will pave the way for live video conferencing over AT&T's high-speed 3G wireless network with computer-based iChat users, as well as other second-generation iPhone owners, according to Rose.

In the week's leading up to last year's iPhone introduction, the Digg founder cited sources in saying Apple would introduce the handset with a slide-out keyboard, two separate battery compartments, and make it available for both CDMA and GSM networks -- all of which turned out to be false.

Despite those misses, Rose has made some accurate predictions in the past, most notably his last minute reports of an iPod nano ahead of the player's inaugural release in 2005.

for da luv of gawd is the apple news flow today really THAT slow?
  • Reply 57 of 100
    I find most of this article irrelevant. He's largely describing what EVERY 3G phone does, so it's not a big deal. I suspect he's talking more about interesting possibilities or even likelihoods, rather than informed sources.

Quote:

Combined with the mobile iChat application, the front-mounted cam will pave the way for live video conferencing over AT&T's high-speed 3G wireless network with computer-based iChat users, as well as other second-generation iPhone owners, according to Rose.

This is the only interesting part of this. 3G phones do video conferencing with other 3G phones. Even going cross-network has its problems. This is part of the reason video conferencing hasn't happened much on 3G.

If Apple can get iPhone users to video conference with iChat desktop users (and AIM desktop users) that would be a big step (despite it seeming like an OBVIOUS one!?). More so if any AIM or iChat desktop user can dial an individual directly with their phone number, rather than username.

As a side issue - Apple could add an iChat phone number on your home Mac (like many VoIP phones) or even a new product - a standard wired phone with video chat capabilities. These kinds of things would give us the "video phone" we were told would be commonplace by the year 2000.

No sources here - just ideas I think are good.
  • Reply 58 of 100
    If Apple buys you out in court. Think Secret you're not, and I don't see Apple interested in throwing money at you so let me be the first to recommend: Don't give up your day jobs.
  • Reply 59 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgabrysSF View Post

let me be the first to recommend: Don't give up your day jobs.

AppleInsider is a great rumour site, and certainly this thread is not a counter example in any way.

In this thread they make it quite clear what the rumour is, who said it, and what their past track record was. What more can you ask for?
  • Reply 60 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgabrysSF View Post

If Apple buys you out in court. Think Secret you're not, and I don't see Apple interested in throwing money at you so let me be the first to recommend: Don't give up your day jobs.

What a moronic comment: Other sites won't take the place of the bought-out ones?

Welcome to the 21st century.....