Paper: 3G iPhone smaller, lighter than existing model

Comments

• Reply 61 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kasper View Post

I agree that this doesn't sound right. But neither does a thicker iPhone.

K

But a thicker iPhone potentially means thicker battery and thicker battery means longer times between charges and the ability to use apps and I'm all for that.
  • Reply 62 of 138
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    2.8" sounds like either a decoy or an iPhone nano.

Here's my mock-up from months ago:

• Reply 63 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chadisawesome View Post

If you are in america, and I'm guessing you are because you quoted the price in dollars, unlocking for ANY carrier isn't possible.

Yes, thanks for bringing this up. I meant offer the GSM version on AT&T and T-mobile over here and also on every single carrier in Europe, such as Vodafone, Orange and other big European ones out there.

Something about the screen. The current iPod Nano features a 2" screen and although not great is adequate to watch videos. IMO if they really want to appeal to the masses (especially in Europe) a smaller factor is a must, so yes I see the screen getting smaller (=< 2.8"). A smaller screen will also help with battery consumption.

I also see them coming up with a smart solution for more comfortable texting. I remember when I saw the iPhone for the very first time I thought, why didn't they use a slightly smaller screen? After all it's supposed to be a portable phone

Well done Ireland
  • Reply 64 of 138
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    After reading through this entire thread I'm surprised at the negativity towards plastics. Plastics do not have to imply cheapness or an inferior product from the standpoint of strength. Modern engineering resins could be leveraged to make for a much more durable iPhone. Materials like Ultem are extremely durable and frankly could make for a stronger iPhone.

See I don't know where Apple is going with the next rev's construction but I do know that plastics do not have to imply a step backwards. In many ways they are a better alternative to aluminum for the environment. The are a better alternative to Aluminum with respect to RF performance also. Given that the iPhone isn't well known for its RF performance, plastics could lead to an upgrade with respect to that issue.

So metal or not we really shouldn't be focused on things that are for the most part non issues.

Dave
  • Reply 65 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

After reading through this entire thread I'm surprised at the negativity towards plastics. Plastics do not have to imply cheapness or an inferior product from the standpoint of strength. Modern engineering resins could be leveraged to make for a much more durable iPhone. Materials like Ultem are extremely durable and frankly could make for a stronger iPhone.

See I don't know where Apple is going with the next rev's construction but I do know that plastics do not have to imply a step backwards. In many ways they are a better alternative to aluminum for the environment. The are a better alternative to Aluminum with respect to RF performance also. Given that the iPhone isn't well known for its RF performance, plastics could lead to an upgrade with respect to that issue.

So metal or not we really shouldn't be focused on things that are for the most part non issues.

Dave

If that was the case then plastic cars would be everywhere. A plastic phone would seem to me, counter to the direction Apple has been heading in lately.
  • Reply 66 of 138
    mbene12mbene12 Posts: 42member
    Could the introduction of a iPhone nano be alluded to by the two bridges in that Dev Conference photo?

I personally doubt that they are launching a smaller screen phone unless it has very similar resolution. They spent massive effort introducing the development environment for developers to find out that much the work they did is screwed because the screen just got smaller.
  • Reply 67 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbene12 View Post

Could the introduction of a iPhone nano be alluded to by the two bridges in that Dev Conference photo?

This is the age old trap, Apple marketing. Don't go there. Besides, the bridges likely mean: 1, the Mac. 2, the iPhone.
  • Reply 68 of 138
    mark34mark34 Posts: 3member
    Lighter and a little smaller (not too much) ... sounds pretty good actually.

I think lighter, same size screen would prob be better
  • Reply 69 of 138
    OK...

a. The picture of the "future" iphone is like the ugliest thing ive seen in my life.....

b. why would they downgrade the screen.....and make it plastic....and make it thicker.....looks like im sticking with with the original.....

c. apple is too smart to do all the above...theres NO WAY that they would shrink the screen....i think that thickness and maybe backing will the only really major visual redisgns...i like what the iphone looks like right now i dont want it to change
  • Reply 70 of 138
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

If that was the case then plastic cars would be everywhere. A plastic phone would seem to me, counter to the direction Apple has been heading in lately.

According to the 1996 American Automobile Manufacturers Association Facts & Figures (which references American Metal Market, for which AM&P columnist Al Wrigley is a writer), in 1996 there were 245 lbs. of plastic and plastic composites used in a "typical family vehicle." That is 12% of the overall weight.

the above quote came from a ge plastics page
  • Reply 71 of 138
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    The supposed 'iPhone Nano' if it were ever released would likely have a plastic shell. If you look at Apple's past experience, they start with a plastic shell then upgrade to an anodised aluminium shell for the next generation, so that people upgrade to stop getting their device scratched...

It seems improbable that they'll go from a metal shell to a plastic shell for the iPhone, I'd say it's more likely that they go for an anodised aluminium shell like the iPod Classic, iPod Nano and MacBook Pros currently have.
  • Reply 72 of 138
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

One of the selling points is the screen. They will not make it smaller.

Yes! I bought my iPhone mainly for the screen. (Also the web browser.) The onscreen widgets couldn't be smaller, or it'd be impossible to touch them accurately.

A smaller screened iPhone would be a huge step backwards.

Amorya
  • Reply 73 of 138
    scottibscottib Posts: 381member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by resnyc View Post

But who are these people who don't want internet on their phone? That is the future (and plenty of the present). All the screen-gadgets like weather, stocks, movies, etc. etc. wouldn't work. An iPhone without internet doesn't have enough wow-features to differentiate it dramatically from what would be its competition.

:raises hand:

I don't live in Gotham or a bustling metropolis that has 3G. My lifestyle isn't one where I need to surf online or check my email when I'm away from work or home. I don't care to spend an extra $20 per month for that ability. I just want a better phone than my free crappy Nokia that works like my iPod Touch (for which I haven't paid the $20 to add the extra apps).

I don't even need Wi-Fi. Heretical, I know.
  • Reply 74 of 138
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I don't agree. There's a diffrence between buying more memory, and buying a smaller, cheaper, phone.

If there's enough of a difference, there are people who, while they couldn't afford it before, could afford it now.

South America comes to mind, as does Asia, and Africa. While there are plenty of people who can afford the current phone, there are plenty more who can't, but would like one.

That's why Apple has different versions of several of its products.

If what you are saying were true, then there would be only one Mac Pro, Mac Book Pro, iMac, Mac Book, and of course, iPods.

Since they all have different models, with different price points and features, and even (except for the Mac Pro) different sizes, we can say that what you are saying is indeed, not true.

Mobile phone market is very different than computers market. When it comes to mobile phones people want features. Still, people will not pay $200 for a stripped down iPhone while they can get a phone for free. Any new additional device that compromise any of the current iPhone features will be a complete failure. The average person don't care if it has an Apple logo on the back, they care about how much they get for the money. When it comes to budget phones other manufacturers will win because the only innovation is price. Unless Apple give free iPhone Nano with contracts!!
  • Reply 75 of 138
    There is no way Apple will produce this abomination of an iPhone to take the place of the current large screen model. Are they gonna call it the pansy iPhone? A smaller browsing window and a smaller virtual typing window. No effing way. This "iPhone thing" they're talking about has to be an alternate model for females or children or something. As it is I would want the corporate bad boy version of the current model with a thicker body for road warrior 24-hour straight battery life.

Can you imagine playing decent games on some crappy little screen. A normal-sized American would probably cramp their hands holding onto some tiny little case trying to play a labor-intensive game. And how the heck would they get 32GB of memory into the case with all the other goodies it's supposed to come with. Those writer are nuts making up this crap and calling it a replacement for the current model. Why do these type of rumors have to get started. I say string them up by their thumbs.
  • Reply 76 of 138
    I joined this forum just to say this...

All the people that think the "iPhone nano" won't have internet capabilities are out of their mind. Have you forgotten about the iTunes store or App store that is on the iPhone? No way in hell are they going to let that NOT be on the nano. After all, the nano will sell better than the original if it is released.
  • Reply 77 of 138
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    I will guarantee the screen is not smaller. You simply cannot fit that keyboard on a 2.8" screen and still be able to type.
  • Reply 78 of 138
    jimdreamworxjimdreamworx Posts: 1,095member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

2.8" sounds like either a decoy or an iPhone nano.

Here's my mock-up from months ago:

I like the mockup, and seeing it makes me think a smaller phone is possible.

But I was thinking...

Wouldn't a smaller phone make it impossible to hold to your ear and talk on?

Unless Apple includes a free headset.

Then the electronics for talking and listening can be eliminated from the body of the phone.

Think different indeed!
  • Reply 79 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

This isn't Digg.

I agree. While this is probably false, the only way it's true is if there are two devices coming in June.

Those pics were fake. I was a 2G iPhone with a case and a little photoshopping of the back text.

You're outa order.
  • Reply 80 of 138
    davesmalldavesmall Posts: 118member
    I currently own an iPhone and if anything I'd want a larger screen not a smaller one. Screen real estate trumps size and weight for me (big time). Not only is a bigger screen better for Safari, video, photos, maps, etc., it's especially better for the virtual keyboard. Apple would be crazy to do that.

I want 3G speeds. I want laptop tethering (using the iPhone as a modem for accessing the internet without paying AT&T for yet another data plan). I want 3rd Party software applications. I want a bluetooth supported external keyboard so I can type lengthy text passages once in a while.

I do not want a smaller, lighter iphone with a tiny screen. YUK!