Paper: 3G iPhone smaller, lighter than existing model

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 138
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I am not saying that Apple will not sell another iPhone, I am saying Apple will not sell another iPhone with lower specs (being smaller screen or else). In my opinion,the more logical move is to lower the price of the current iPhone (2.5G) and present new redesigned superior 3G iPhone for $499.

I don't see why not. What you're doing is letting your preferences get in the way of your ability to see what the rest of the market might want. I don't want a smaller screen either, but I know that others would.

There is even a 2.7" hi rez (960 x 540) screen available, so this story could be true from a hardware standpoint.

They also have a 3.5" screen that looks as though it could be a fantastic replacement to the one now being used, if Apple could get a good price.

There is also a larger, hi rez screen available from the same company (NEC), so an even larger model could come out as well. Look at the pricing (for 1-50 pieces!). I might try t get some samples. I'd be willing to pay those prices to experiment:

http://www.eeproductcenter.com/passi...leID=207402007
  • Reply 122 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I am so humbly sorry. I realized this before and tried to edit but the site won't let me I've email the administrator- waiting edit to work again.. Thanks.

It's after 6:20 pm, and I still can't edit a post.
  • Reply 123 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

"edit" barfed for me too today, I just get "invalid post specified".

I vote that we all chip in, and buy AI some new, better server software, because whatever they use, it stinks.

Maybe we can get them a better hosting company as well.\
  • Reply 124 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

That "are" is just about to become a "were".

Of course, but you know what I meant. They aren't changing because of deficiencies in the material, but simply because of fashion.

It might even come back someday, in a different form.
  • Reply 125 of 138
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I don't see why not. What you're doing is letting your preferences get in the way of your ability to see what the rest of the market might want. I don't want a smaller screen either, but I know that others would.

There is even a 2.7" hi rez (960 x 540) screen available, so this story could be true from a hardware standpoint.

They also have a 3.5" screen that looks as though it could be a fantastic replacement to the one now being used, if Apple could get a good price.

There is also a larger, hi rez screen available from the same company (NEC), so an even larger model could come out as well. Look at the pricing (for 1-50 pieces!). I might try t get some samples. I'd be willing to pay those prices to experiment:

http://www.eeproductcenter.com/passi...leID=207402007

My personal preferences have nothing to do with what I think Apple will do. This is my personal interpretation of what Apple done in the past and how they market their products. Apple philosophy, as I see it, is not to confuse users with many choices and configurations. Just give customers what they think they want not what they actually want.
  • Reply 126 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

My personal preferences have nothing to do with what I think Apple will do. This is my personal interpretation of what Apple done in the past and how they market their products. Apple philosophy, as I see it, is not to confuse users with many choices and configurations. Just give customers what they think they want not what they actually want.

Sorry if I misinterpreted.

Apple was told, before Jobs came back, and this is public record, that they were offering customers too many choices in their product lines, and they should simplify.

When Jobs came back, he implemented that policy with a vengeance.

I think Apple does offer customers what Apple thinks their customers want. They don't always get it right. But they have a pretty good record.

Sometimes, when attempting to change the paradigm, such as with downloads, they do try to force customers to move to Apple's way of thinking.

I'm not so sure the size of a phone counts as that. I don't think they will try to move all their phones to a smaller size, but they would likely want to delineate two lines. size is a common way to do that.

There are people who don't like candybar phones because they are too big. That's why clamshell phones exist. If we assume that Apple sees that small phone market as being desirable, and won't build a clamshell model, they would need to build a smaller candybar.

I would think that such a phone might have a horizontal keyboard, even though Jobs poopooed the idea for the full sized model, saying that not enough information was displayed on the screen in that mode.
  • Reply 127 of 138
    bderwestbderwest Posts: 36member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tantrum View Post

16GB and 32GB Premium/Enterprise (BlackBerry switcher) version

-The whole rumor on the thick versus thinner stems from this; thick versus thin = sliding landscape keyboard add-on versus none on base model.Nothing to do with GPS making it thicker.

-Phone itself will be 3mm thinner and a 3mm sliding keypad add-on will make it appear slightly thicker, maybe 1mm thicker than current phone. - For a clear e.g. of how it may look, see Samsung U940 SKUs

-When keyboard is extended, additional battery may be clipped on.

I'll eat my hat the day a company known for its sleek design sells slide out keyboard "add-ons" and a clip-on battery.

Quote:

-Recessed headphones may STILL be in place but standard iPod headphones will fit.

Um.... standard iPod headphones fit in the recessed headphone jack now... What kind are you using?
  • Reply 128 of 138
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BdeRWest View Post

I'll eat my hat the day a company known for its sleek design sells slide out keyboard "add-ons" and a clip-on battery.

I agree, but there is no reason a 3rd-party can't produce it.
  • Reply 129 of 138
    Let's look a bit further ahead with this article Forbes sent me today:

http://www.forbes.com/2008/04/30/app...partner=alerts
  • Reply 130 of 138
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    You have to hold down the Control key (or right click) and choose to open in a new window or tab when you click the Edit button.

• Reply 131 of 138
    guppy737guppy737 Posts: 26member
    What Apple should do is encourage everybody with toxic Lexan water bottles to recycle them.....and use the recycled polycarbonate to make their cases
  • Reply 132 of 138
    No way, no how will Apple add a "conventional" keyboard to the iphone. They chose a different path with the touchscreen display, and the last thing they want is to be viewed as copying what Verizon and others have already done with their phones.
  • Reply 133 of 138
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guppy737 View Post

What Apple should do is encourage everybody with toxic Lexan water bottles to recycle them.....and use the recycled polycarbonate to make their cases

Polycarbonate is not toxic unless you burn it. Even then, it's an irritant unless you really inhale a lot of smoke.
  • Reply 134 of 138
    Quote:

Unless you're such an Apple fanboi that you regularly kiss and lick your Mac, I wouldn't worry about the plastic.
  • Reply 135 of 138
    Kinda tongue-in-cheek, bros....but if you haven't heard about the nalgene bottle scare, google it.
  • Reply 136 of 138
    Quote:

Kinda tongue-in-cheek, bros....but if you haven't heard about the nalgene bottle scare, google it.

I am familiar with it. That's why the remarks about kissing and licking.
  • Reply 137 of 138
    bwikbwik Posts: 565member
    The 2008 iPhone will have the latest RS-232 Serial ports with 6-foot coiled grey cables. This will allow it to connect to 2 AppleTalk networks at the same time.

The iPhone 2008 will be compatible with the Mac SE, Mac SE/30 and Mac II series. It will be System 7 savvy.

The iPhone 2008 will have a PDS slot but also NuBus slots we we look to the rear of the unit. The phone will come with extra terminators for the SCSI controllers and will acommodate up to 7 devices in a SCSI daisy chain.

The iPhone will have ADB Cables to connect to a variety of Kensington Turbo Mouse products.

The newest iPhone will use uncommon 144-pin RAM memory only used by the Mac IIfx.

Taking advantage of the latest in Multi-Media, the iPhone will have a CD-ROM drive that uses optical discs much like the compact discs you use for music today. However, it will have a huge amount of Multi-Media data on those discs.

The iPhone will come with a 2400bps external modem.

The iPhone will not be compatible with DSL.

The iPhone will not work with OS/2 or Amiga. It will work with Sega Genesis and Neo Geo.

The iPhone comes pre-loaded with Chem Draw, Claris software and the games Falcon, Crystal Quest and Colour Billiards.

Enjoy the new iPhone everybody!
  • Reply 138 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bwik View Post

The 2008 iPhone will have the latest RS-232 Serial ports with 6-foot coiled grey cables. This will allow it to connect to 2 AppleTalk networks at the same time.

The iPhone 2008 will be compatible with the Mac SE, Mac SE/30 and Mac II series. It will be System 7 savvy.

The iPhone 2008 will have a PDS slot but also NuBus slots we we look to the rear of the unit. The phone will come with extra terminators for the SCSI controllers and will acommodate up to 7 devices in a SCSI daisy chain.

The iPhone will have ADB Cables to connect to a variety of Kensington Turbo Mouse products.

The newest iPhone will use uncommon 144-pin RAM memory only used by the Mac IIfx.

Taking advantage of the latest in Multi-Media, the iPhone will have a CD-ROM drive that uses optical discs much like the compact discs you use for music today. However, it will have a huge amount of Multi-Media data on those discs.

The iPhone will come with a 2400bps external modem.

The iPhone will not be compatible with DSL.

The iPhone will not work with OS/2 or Amiga. It will work with Sega Genesis and Neo Geo.

The iPhone comes pre-loaded with Chem Draw, Claris software and the games Falcon, Crystal Quest and Colour Billiards.

Enjoy the new iPhone everybody!

Was that supposed to be funny?

A one or two liner would have been better.