Video speed test: 2.5G EDGE iPhone vs. mock 3G HSDPA iPhone

Comments

• Reply 101 of 268
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drwho4 View Post

The 3G would be waaay faster than the other.

Could you clarify as to why you think HSDPA would be way faster than EDGE? I assume by way faster you mean more than 2x faster.
  • Reply 102 of 268
    one9deuceone9deuce Posts: 68member
    sapporobaby, yes we all continue to say "Look what Apple is going to do with the iPhone".

But soon, oh so very very soon, we will be saying "Look what Apple did with the iPhone".

And Nokia will be down for the count.

addabox, you are EXACTLY right. The future is mobile computing, and who better to make computers than Apple? Nokia got their dominance by making cheap phones. Apple's dominance will be based on...................OSX
  • Reply 103 of 268
    sapporobabysapporobaby Posts: 1,079member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by one9deuce View Post

sapporobaby, yes we all continue to say "Look what Apple is going to do with the iPhone".

But soon, oh so very very soon, we will be saying "Look what Apple did with the iPhone".

addabox, you are EXACTLY right. The future is mobile computing, and who better to make computers than Apple? Nokia got their dominance by making cheap phones. Apple's dominance will be based on...................OSX

Your continued pointing to a misnomer, i.e. Nokia and cheap phones is testimony to that fact that you have zero point zero clue to Nokia's product line. I went so far as to even post a link. If you are not capable of typing it in, then there is nothing I can do for you other than to let you wallow in your lack of knowledge.
  • Reply 104 of 268
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Could you clarify as to why you think HSDPA would be way faster than EDGE? I assume by way faster you mean more than 2x faster.

Here you go:

HSDPA

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-hsdpa.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HSDPA

EDGE

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enhance..._GSM_Evolution

http://www.nokiasiemensnetworks.com/...data_speed.htm

http://www.tech-faq.com/edge.shtml
  • Reply 105 of 268

I know the theoretical speeds of the different technologies, but this doesn't explain why he thinks it should be "waaay faster." There are many things to consider when doing real world tests and having a radio a theoretical ceiling of 7.2MB/s doesn't mean you're going to get "waaay faster" speeds over EDGE just because it's in there.
  • Reply 106 of 268
    nicegooglynicegoogly Posts: 12member
    Quote:

That was the last one from my mind. I'm talking amore about the AI articles where Apple is accused of using technology that someone else patented and the articles where a new Apple patent comes up that has been used by others for some time.? AU articles regarding patents

If Apple sues "Pshystar" or cease and desist letters they will look like the bad guy, but I don't think Apple is worried about it right now. Despite Psystar's sketchy start their machines are still questionable.

They send you the $129 copy of Leopard unopened?because you need an OSx86 version?which I think they sell you for $150. So if you need to reinstall Leopard you have to pull out the HDD and ship it to them. They then have access to al your files so you could save a few bucks on a garage-built machine that doesn't have the more optimized drivers and where getting the device fixed under warranty will be a crap shoot.

Plus, you can't setup BootCamp, use the Leopard Install DIsc, or update the OS and a good deal of the Apps. It also doesn't come with any iLife apps. My point is, I don't think Apple is worried about them; The vast other home built OSx86 projects will certainly trump what Psystar can sell. SWIM has been using a Dell as home server running OS X for a couple years now.It works great!

I think they realized that litigation may stall them but not solve the larger problem. I suspect that they may be working with Intel, or perhaps with P.A. Semi now, to use HW authentication to make the clones harder to crack.

But MS makes money from their OS. They don't produce desktop hardware (save for their mice). Apple bread and butter is the HW so virtual OS X isn't an attractive option to Apple, especially if they were to be required to supply support for all the drivers of the various HW that MS has to deal with.

When Vista first came out MS did try to enforce via the EULA that only the more expensive copies could be used virtually. This was recently changed, probably as a result of poor Vista sales

Though, Leopard Server now allows virtualization, so some things have changed.

Longwinded is fine, it's the lack of paragraphs that we get upset with.

As far as Apple's patent issues will probably be settled out of court. Sony, for years, had a patent infringement case some time ago regarding their rumble technology in their playstation controllers and payed out the better part of 90 million dollars. Sometimes great companies need to crib from other creators. They just need to open their wallet a little faster to not look so redfaced. The litigation costs on this nonsense is astronomical, they may look to deal if the patent holders are reasonable.

Not the first time Apple has gotten singed: iTunes led the way for protected and properly purchased music. Then they were sued by Eminem for using his song without permission in their commercial. They dealt him out with some cash and a promotion on iTunes of his greatest hit album.

Also, I agree with your assessment of garage built macs. If you want a quality product, pay the damn money.
  • Reply 107 of 268
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:

They (Pystar) send you the $129 copy of Leopard unopened?

Perhaps not in all cases?

"The included copy of Leopard was out of the shrinkwrap, but there's no way to install it -- it shows up in Startup Disk but it won't restart, and it's not recognized at boot." *

This suggests that the copy was likely opened, which as you rightfully implied isn't useful unless one has a real Mac to use it in.

*Hands-on test of Mac Cloner Psystar?s Open Computer reveals: ?It?s LOUD. Crazy loud.? http://macdailynews.com/index.php/we...omments/17159/
  • Reply 108 of 268
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by one9deuce View Post

Apple and others have been Nokia killers for as long as there were phones. At one time Ericsson was one paycheck away from buying Nokia, and look where things are now. If you are deluded enough to think that Nokia will simply sit by and not make a fight of the game proves that you lack the understanding involved to see products on a global scale.

Nokia has the cash, and the knowledge to compete against Apple on a one to one, technology to technology level. I am sorry for you if you have only seen inexpensive Nokia phones and this is your basis for world domination. Mobile computing has been a part of Nokia's portfolio for quite a while. Ever hear of the N770, N800, N810, N810 WiMax, Nokia Communicators? There are all mobile computers. Some with touch screens, some without, some smart phones, some Internet Tablets. You seeming limited exposure to higher end products is a classic example what the iPhone is failing in Europe. It is an unsophisticated being sold in a highly sophisticated market. Apple was smart to start small and then think larger.
  • Reply 109 of 268
    merdheadmerdhead Posts: 587member
    Quote:

I know the theoretical speeds of the different technologies, but this doesn't explain why he thinks it should be "waaay faster." There are many things to consider when doing real world tests and having a radio a theoretical ceiling of 7.2MB/s doesn't mean you're going to get "waaay faster" speeds over EDGE just because it's in there.

What? Of course HSPA is faster than EDGE. For the same available signal quality it delivers greater bandwidth. It uses more efficient encoding which packs more data into the same amount of spectrum.

I can't believe you're even having the discussion.
  • Reply 110 of 268
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

What? Of course HSPA is faster than EDGE. For the same available signal quality it delivers greater bandwidth. It uses more efficient encoding which packs more data into the same amount of spectrum.

What do you mean by "What?" And what discussion are you talking about? The idea that having a 3G radio in a device means you get a certain data rate is an illogical assumption. I clearly stated that I am aware of the theoretical speeds of the different technologies; when did I state that HSPA was slower than EDGE?
  • Reply 111 of 268
    Quote:

I do not think he is implying EDGE is faster than HSDPA. However, if you look at a couple of the links I supplied, you will see that Nokia (the company that many think will be dominated by Apple - don't make me laugh) has raised the previous speeds of EDGE. I think he was just making a comparison.
  • Reply 112 of 268
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

I do not think he is implying EDGE is faster than HSDPA. However, if you look at a couple of the links I supplied, you will see that Nokia (the company that many think will be dominated by Apple - don't make me laugh) has raised the previous speeds of EDGE. I think he was just making a comparison.

I didn't say or imply once that EDGE was faster, I was only stating?apparently poorly?that having a 3G radio in a consumer device does not mean you'll get 3G speeds or that webpages will load in at a rate proportional to the theoretical speeds that can be achieved by different cell technologies. That there are many other factors that determine the actual time it takes for a page to load. Hence my original question to Drwho4 as to why he thinks it should be "waaay faster."
  • Reply 113 of 268
    Quote:

I didn't say or imply once that EDGE was faster, I was only stating?apparently poorly?that having a 3G radio in a consumer device does not mean you'll get 3G speeds or that webpages will load in at a rate proportional to the theoretical speeds that can be achieved by different cell technologies. That there are many other factors that determine the actual time it takes for a page to load. Hence my original question to Drwho4 as to why he thinks it should be "waaay faster."

I think you got mixed up here. I was agreeing with you in reply to Drwho4's reply.

In pure data transfers, HSDPA will simply smoke EDGE. As you said there are many factors that can determine how web pages are rendered. Data speeds are just one factor.
  • Reply 114 of 268
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Apple and others have been Nokia killers for as long as there were phones. At one time Ericsson was one paycheck away from buying Nokia, and look where things are now. If you are deluded enough to think that Nokia will simply sit by and not make a fight of the game proves that you lack the understanding involved to see products on a global scale.

NO MORE PERSONAL ATTACKS. Last warning.
  • Reply 115 of 268
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy View Post

NO MORE PERSONAL ATTACKS. Last warning.

What was I thinking. Yes of course Nokia will be dominated by a company with only one crippled product. Tomorrow flags in Helsinki will be flown at half mast in honor of Apple driving them out of business with an iPod that can make calls. Huge layoffs globally are expected. Steve Jobs has decreed from on high he will personally give each layed off employee one million dollars from petty cash. Steve Jobs is looking to move into the roll of master of the universe on a full time basis. More to come.
  • Reply 116 of 268
    Quote:

What was I thinking. Yes of course Nokia will be dominated by a company with only one crippled product. [...]

Replying to a forum moderator with sarcasm isn't wise.
  • Reply 117 of 268
    Quote:

Replying to a forum moderator with sarcasm isn't wise.

Hey Solipsism,

I am not angry at Lundy. He is doing a pretty thankless job for the most part and he is pretty much right. I just was having a bit of fun. I realized as I wrote it that I highlighted his response instead of the other one. I wrote it from my phone so I did not feel like going back to correct it, but you have a point.

Thanks in advance.
  • Reply 118 of 268
    merdheadmerdhead Posts: 587member
    Quote:

The enhanced EDGE isn't actually deployed anywhere, so its besides the point. The fact is that EDGE tops out at about 240Kbps and HSPA at 1.8 or 3.6Mbps. It's "waaay" faster. Saying that rendering means it makes less difference is meaningless. So does the server you are downloading from, congestion on the internet and the type of content you are downloading. Conversely you might be downloading a movie or file or they might put a faster processor in the 3G model and rendering will have no or less affect. The point is that the data transfer is significantly faster with HSPA and that impacts significantly on performance.
  • Reply 119 of 268
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    So because you are not permitted to impugn solipsism's capacity to understand something, then that prohibits you from making your argument about Nokia and the iPhone?

Make any argument you want about Nokia.

Make any argument you want about the iPhone.

Do not make any argument about someone's ability to understand something. That is irrelevant and against the posting guidelines.

I suppose I could make an argument about your ability to understand what constitutes a personal attack, but that would itself be a personal attack, so I won't make that argument.
  • Reply 120 of 268
    Quote:

The enhanced EDGE isn't actually deployed anywhere, so its besides the point. The fact is that EDGE tops out at about 240Kbps and HSPA at 1.8 or 3.6Mbps. It's "waaay" faster. Saying that rendering means it makes less difference is meaningless. So does the server you are downloading from, congestion on the internet and the type of content you are downloading. Conversely you might be downloading a movie or file or they might put a faster processor in the 3G model and rendering will have no or less affect. The point is that the data transfer is significantly faster with HSPA and that impacts significantly on performance.

Well, uhhhh.... whatever. I am enjoying my 7.2 mb/sec on my Nokia so I really do not care much what my iPhone is doing. I have been enjoying 3G speeds, video calls, IPTV and such for a while now. So once again, EDGE, smedge. I could not care less.