More unofficial Mac clones up for sale on eBay

Comments

• Reply 61 of 329
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Neither do I. I've never heard that one. I have heard that electric current going through electronics will break down them faster, but we are talking eons, not the life of a personal computer.

Ros3ntan is just making it up. Don't bother with it.
  • Reply 62 of 329
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It's only EFI now, but guess what? It runs! There are ways around that too.

That is exactly what the OSx86 Project did.
    it emulates EFI data for normal BIOS-based PCs and allows OS X to treat BIOS based hardware platforms as genuine EFI-based Macs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OSx86#EFI_emulation
  • Reply 63 of 329
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by batsai View Post

Actually, I am not aware of any "upgrade" price for Leopard for my 2006 MacBook Pro. A heavily inflated price would definitely deter me as a consumer.

That is why they won't raise the price because of a couple pre-built, unofficial Mac clones; most of them are DLing the pre-built, hacked copies for free.
  • Reply 64 of 329
    Apple legal needs to take these loosers to the cleaners.... I would love to see them set an example...
  • Reply 65 of 329
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by batsai View Post

Actually, I am not aware of any "upgrade" price for Leopard for my 2006 MacBook Pro. A heavily inflated price would definitely deter me as a consumer.

Consider this as well- look how expensive Windows is- you can find cracked versions all over the internet. There may be a solution to stop these unofficial clones, but raising the price is not it.

You missed the point.

Those who have a Mac, and therefor would be eligible for the upgrade, would continue to pay the lower price.

Only those who have no Mac would pay the higher price.

The reason why people cheat with Windows, or even OS X, is not because of the high price, but because its not free. They don't want to pay anything.

You can get upgrades to Windows for much less than the retail "new" price. MS sell them as upgrades.

But, if you go to companies who sell cables and such, you can also buy Windows for an OEM price. All you have to do is buy a cheap cable, or some such item to legally qualify.
  • Reply 66 of 329
    ros3ntanros3ntan Posts: 201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I really don't see how. The Macbook's memory controller is supposed to be able to handle 2GB.

believe me.. i have asked the apple care people.. they couldnt explain it to me.. so for now, i have no good explanation on why it breaks...

but something good do comes out of it.. i got a new bottom casing..LOL
  • Reply 67 of 329
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:

He never said he didn't listen to customers. He said that Apple didn't use focus groups, which is very different.

I have plenty of experience with them, on both sides. They are a waste of time. If you only knew...

Sorry, I don't have the exact quote. But it's obvious that Steve makes the products that Steve wants to make. Is there any reason to believe that Apple actually does listen to what customers want? The product line shows no evidence that they do.

Sometimes that works and they get a great product nobody else thought of. And sometimes there's a gaping hole in the product line.
  • Reply 68 of 329
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Everything breaks. It's always a matter of when. Computers can be made tougher, but for consumers, there's not much point in buying a machine that doesn't break if it costs way too much to make it that tough, especially if the computer's very obsolete in three years. Back then, the price of a computer was quite high. It doesn't make sense to apply the same reliability standards to a $2000 notebook in today's money vs. a $5000 notebook in 1995 money.

I don't think it's that one expects a given machine break, but that you're weighing the cost of the service vs. against the risk that something breaks. If there's a 1 in 10 chance that the main board fries in the first three years, then it's probably worthwhile, vs. having to pay for the repair or just buy a new machine.

thats true, however, i had my sony vaio for close to 5 years now. I never had any problem with it. Hence, there is no sense of buying a warranty for 3 years.. because during that time, i would be wasting my money.

it is still working btw.
  • Reply 69 of 329
    Quote:

That is exactly what the OSx86 Project did.
    it emulates EFI data for normal BIOS-based PCs and allows OS X to treat BIOS based hardware platforms as genuine EFI-based Macs.

? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OSx86#EFI_emulation

I know. I have had them bookmarked since day one of their project going online. That's why I said that it runs.

What people interested in this don't seem to know is that a lot of software doesn't run on these machines, though a fair amount does. Hardware too.

I think there is still a problem with Firewire, and that's why it isn't being offered.

Drivers for most graphics cards don't work either.
  • Reply 70 of 329
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

Sorry, I don't have the exact quote. But it's obvious that Steve makes the products that Steve wants to make. Is there any reason to believe that Apple actually does listen to what customers want? The product line shows no evidence that they do.

Sometimes that works and they get a great product nobody else thought of. And sometimes there's a gaping hole in the product line.

i would say they are half and half. They listen to their customers, but solve it in a new way like the macbook air. Its unique.. and demand is.. well not large enough.. but its innovation nonetheless.

the iphone is their success story because they listen and solve the problems in their own way.
  • Reply 71 of 329
    Quote:

I know. I have had them bookmarked since day one of their project going online. That's why I said that it runs.

What people interested in this don't seem to know is that a lot of software doesn't run on these machines, though a fair amount does. Hardware too.

I think there is still a problem with Firewire, and that's why it isn't being offered.

Drivers for most graphics cards don't work either.

Gotcha. I had major issues with networking drivers. The NIC is 10/100/1000 but it only gets 5Mb/s sustained. It's the only card of 3 that works. I could a better supported 3rd-party card but th transfer rate is fast enough for my needs.
  • Reply 72 of 329
    Quote:

Honestly, this isn't a simple question, and there isn't a simple answer.

Without actually being there, we can only guess.

But with more PC manufacturers making all-in-ones, Apple is clearly on to something.

The main reason why Apple isn't at 50% marketshare isn't because of the models it offers, but is because of the OS.

It's not easy to make the decision to switch OS's. If you have little investment, it's easier, but not if you do. As most people use PC's, and do have an investment in software, and hardware that they suspect, correctly or not, that will not move over, it's clear as to why we don't see Apple's marketshare moving at 200% a year.

But, as more people do buy Mac's, and the estimate for consumer uptake is now at 17%, a very high number, it makes it easier for the next person to buy into the Mac world.

Adoption rates have been steadily moving up, so that noe it's ober 50%. Thats pretty damn good!

Almost no PC owners ever upgrade their machines. When most are ready, they just buy new machines. We should be grateful for that, because those are the people moving to Macs, for the most part, other than students.
  • Reply 73 of 329
    Is it worth it to convert your pc into a mac? i have been contemplating this for a long time.. considering the cost of time installing Project OSx86, is it worth it?
  • Reply 74 of 329
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ros3ntan View Post

thats true, however, i had my sony vaio for close to 5 years now. I never had any problem with it. Hence, there is no sense of buying a warranty for 3 years.. because during that time, i would be wasting my money.

it is still working btw.

But that's not the way to think of it. If there's a 10% chance of something big & expensive on the notebook going bad, then you have a 90% chance of it still going strong at the end and then you'd declare that you didn't need it. But if the warranty was $100, and a replacement board and service was $1000 with a 10% risk, it's even money either way. This is a simplistic view, but I think it shows the idea.

An available warranty isn't a guarantee that it's going to go bad, nor is it an expectation that the one WILL go bad, you're just changing the risk to your wallet.
  • Reply 75 of 329
    Quote:

Is it worth it to convert your pc into a mac? i have been contemplating this for a long time.. considering the cost of time installing Project OSx86, is it worth it?

Worth is relative. If you have an old PC with a processor with at least SSE2 you might want to try it out. There is a Wiki that shows which PC vendor models and various 3rd-party HW have drivers/kexts.
  • Reply 76 of 329
    Quote:

Worth is relative. If you have an old PC with a processor with at least SSE2 you might want to try it out. There is a Wiki that shows which PC vendor models and various 3rd-party HW have drivers/kexts.

i custom build my pc.. soo i would not be looking at pc vendors.. looking compatibility for 3rd party hardware is a pain in the ass.. and plus no update... i guess its not worth it....
  • Reply 77 of 329
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:

Honestly, this isn't a simple question, and there isn't a simple answer.

Without actually being there, we can only guess.

But with more PC manufacturers making all-in-ones, Apple is clearly on to something.

The main reason why Apple isn't at 50% marketshare isn't because of the models it offers, but is because of the OS.

It's not easy to make the decision to switch OS's. If you have little investment, it's easier, but not if you do. As most people use PC's, and do have an investment in software, and hardware that they suspect, correctly or not, that will not move over, it's clear as to why we don't see Apple's marketshare moving at 200% a year.

But, as more people do buy Mac's, and the estimate for consumer uptake is now at 17%, a very high number, it makes it easier for the next person to buy into the Mac world.

Adoption rates have been steadily moving up, so that noe it's ober 50%. Thats pretty damn good!

Almost no PC owners ever upgrade their machines. When most are ready, they just buy new machines. We should be grateful for that, because those are the people moving to Macs, for the most part, other than students.

You're right, on this end it's all speculation.

While the OS is an issue,I think the lack of key models is a significant factor as well in limiting market share.

Are all-in-ones selling many on the PC side? I doubt it, and I doubt they ever will sell many. I think that many people buy imacs because it's the only option in that price range.

And while most PC owners don't upgrade, they buy machines that can be upgraded because they want that option (even if they don't take advantage of it). There certainly are people who want to be able to upgrade their computer but not have to buy a new monitor.

I simply don't buy that the imac form factor is what the average person wants - it's a prime example of Apple trying to influence consumer wants instead of providing what the average consumer wants.
  • Reply 78 of 329
    Quote:

i custom build my pc.. soo i would not be looking at pc vendors.. looking compatibility for 3rd party hardware is a pain in the ass.. and plus no update... i guess its not worth it....

It's how everyone else does it. It's a simple search on one website; I wouldn't define that as a PITA.

Look under HW.
  • Reply 79 of 329
    Quote:

I simply don't buy that the imac form factor is what the average person wants - it's a prime example of Apple trying to influence consumer wants instead of providing what the average consumer wants.

Notebooks are AIOs, too, and we know that laptop PCs sales are skyrocketing.
  • Reply 80 of 329
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:

it is still working btw.

I am missing your point. My TiBook is over 4 years old. It still works. I bought the extended care warentee because if if failed in the first three years, I would have wanted it replaced. At this point, if it fails I would want a new one, so I probably wouldn't have bought additional years of AppleCare even if it was available.

With insurance is is not reasonable to say after the fact: "I didn't need it therefore I wasted my money." Insurance protects you against catastrophic loss. I pay $200 to protect against having to pay a $1200 repair in the first three years. If there is a 1 in 6 chance or better that my computer might need a major repair then I break even or the odds are with me.

Even if there is only a 1 in 15 chance, if I would not have the lump sum to replace my computer then the $200 protects against being without a computer for the time it would take me to raise $2K for a new one. Of course this is way oversimplified as there are different levels of repair need. There is also a value to "piece of mind" for many people.

Or, to put it another way, imagine there are 10 guys who opt out of their company's health plan to get a $1000 bonus every year. 5 years later they have a party to celebrate the $50,000 that they collectively saved. They call themselves geniuses. Then one of them gets cancer and gets stuck with $200,000 in medical bills, loses his car and his house and goes bankrupt. Would you say that only he made a bad choice and the other 9 were smart?