3G settings discovered in latest beta of iPhone firmware

Comments

• Reply 61 of 125
    federmoosefedermoose Posts: 195member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

Wow. What an innovative feature. My Nokia, and SE phones have had this for YEARS.....

BS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The guy obviously has no clue what the hell he is talking about. My phone lasts all day and night and is connected to a 3G network. It is the 3G applications and usage that drain the battery. Tell Steve to sit down before he hurts himself.

Marketing BS that the lemmings will swallow, hook, line and sinker. Obviously Stevie Boy never heard of the Nokia E90, Nokia E61/E61i, Nokia N81/N82. Steve should stick to talking about what he knows and stop believing his own hype.

please, calm the f**k down. the iphone is doing some catchup, no one is disputing that. Also, poor wording on a spokesperson's part, big deal. 3g does drain battery, otherwise the nokia wouldn't have the darned off switch!!!! please, stop bothering us.

edit: personal insults removed. sorry for flaming the fire guys.
  • Reply 62 of 125
    Quote:

It is not a compromise. Real phone manufactures have had this FEATURE for years but now suddenly because it is Apple doing it now it's a big deal. Reason being, there was a time (still is in the US) when 3G networks were no everywhere and there was no need for the phone to drain power searching for a 3G network where none existed.

we're not saying this is a big deal, but rather the feature exists, and that it is proof of 3g. why are you being so darned argumentative?

• Reply 63 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Phone battery life cannot be simply compared. All of these phones have different size screens and brightness, different speed processors and graphic accelerators. They all budget their power efficiency differently. That is the reason phone specs list different battery lives. You cannot just say X phone last such a time with 3G so the iPhone should be able to.

thank you. a voice of reason.
  • Reply 64 of 125
    Quote:

Obviously it is a big deal as it warranted being mentioned. In the Nokia and SE marketing, the ability to toggle on and off 3G is viewed as a major event. Too bad it has been a feature for years.

that's like saying the following after being informed your mother gave birth: WHAT???? Who cares??? That FEATURE has been around for years!!!!!!

the point is, its on the iphone, that's it. we're not saying its innovative, just that it exists. now sit down and take a chill pill.

• Reply 65 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icedtea1996 View Post

hey addabox, or mr i chew on everything mr jobs hands me: they might well have opted to have a shittier chip in the phones for the same reasons they have opted to have 1 out of 3 displays manufactured for the macbook be of inferior quality, or ship loads of mac pros with the bluetooth cables set up wrong (and hope no one notices), or have everyones macbook plastic surface crumble after just over a year -- its cause they have to SAVE MONEY and keep the SHAREHOLDERS HAPPY. "oh the shittier chips would just cost 10 bucks less, what would they save" - with 5 million units sold they save 50million dollars. get a life, fanboy.

if you are unhappy with apple products, then that's your prerogative. we aren't saying the iphone is perfect, we're just saying that it isn't the piece of sh*t you want it to be. stop trolling. we have no use for trollers here.

• Reply 66 of 125
    sapporobabysapporobaby Posts: 1,079member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FastLaneJB View Post

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against Nokia. Just I think people bash the iPhone for a few missing features but miss the bigger picture in that the underlying hardware and OS is actually pretty good. Nokia's are very flexable and if they can ever get their interface close to Apple's then I cannot see Apple doing so well in the phone market. However Nokia seem to be like Microsoft in that they want to keep backwards compatibility and a similar UI which people know. This I feel is preventing them from moving forwards on the UI front. S60 has looked the same pretty much since it launched, it's in dire need of bringing up to date. Also some of the options are well hidden when they shouldn't be, it's not always logically located. So it needs a rethink of their settings and menu layout as well in some areas.

I hope Apple keep doing well in the phone market just to keep the big players on their feet. I think before Apple came along they were just cruising happily along. They didn't need to put quite as much R&D in as they probably are putting in now. I'll look forward to seeing what Nokia puts out in a year or two, the Nokia Tube just isn't competition to the iPhone but a knee jerk reaction to get something out quick. Apple won't sit still either of course.

Nice post.
  • Reply 67 of 125
    Quote:

So by your reasoning, the fact that I had this FEATURE in my phones for years was a compromise on the part of SE and Nokia? Yeah, that makes sense. NOT !!!!!!!!!!

its a compromise/stopgap while they lack of a better/less power-hungry chipset. How does that not make sense?
  • Reply 68 of 125
    pg4gpg4g Posts: 383member
    Honestly people this is hilarious. Keep it up.

Its just a screenshot, no biggie. Just suggests that users will get some more power management capabilities than they may have expected.

You all rave about how it should be there, and how Apple are behind the times...

For a computer company, they aren't doing too bad.

Should it be there? Yeah, it should, of course. The news was in the fact that it is informing people that 3G support is fully confirmed by screenshot, not just references in the OS, and that Apple are putting something there that may not have been expected.

So what? Fanboys and Hateboys quiet down. If you don't like Apple phones, thats great. If you do, thats great too.

Did you guys all just join to fight?

I joined to comment on ideas and receive others ideas from the rumors flying the web about apple.
  • Reply 69 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by federmoose View Post

my god, are you retarded? we're not saying this is a big deal, but rather the feature exists, and that it is proof of 3g. seriously, why the need to be so darned argumentative?

sorry for the insults here, its just unnecessarily aggressive people annoy me to no end.

Out of respect for Lundy, I will not respond in a public forum but if you care to join me in PM I will be more than happy to "straighten you out".
  • Reply 70 of 125
    big_albig_al Posts: 24member
    Haven't been on in awhile. Any rumors about memory capacity on upcoming iPhone 2?
  • Reply 71 of 125
    probablyprobably Posts: 139member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Big_Al View Post

Haven't been on in awhile. Any rumors about memory capacity on upcoming iPhone 2?

No, those would be very boring rumors.

It's going to be 8, 16 or 32. Guess.
  • Reply 72 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Big_Al View Post

Not that I'm aware of. I'm betting on 16gb for the current price of 8. not sure if there'll be a 32 yet, but absolutely within the year.
  • Reply 73 of 125
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amorya View Post

That's wrong, because on every 3G phone I've had, there has been a choice of whether to use 3G for both voice and data or just for data. I chose just data, and then it only activates the 3G transmitter when data was needed.

Is it really used for voice?

Another question I have is how long does it tale to initialize a 3G connection? Why not have the connection on only when you're using a data intensive app? Say maybe if I start Safari, 3G turns on, if Safari isn't used for 5 minutes, turn off that radio?
  • Reply 74 of 125
    probablyprobably Posts: 139member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Another question I have is how long does it tale to initialize a 3G connection? Why not have the connection on only when you're using a data intensive app? Say maybe if I start Safari, 3G turns on, if Safari isn't used for 5 minutes, turn off that radio?

That's what happens already.

Now you can decide to access the internet using slightly less power.
  • Reply 75 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by federmoose View Post

if you are unhappy with apple products, then that's your prerogative. we aren't saying the iphone is perfect, we're just saying that it isn't the piece of shit you want it to be. now, get a life and stop trolling. we have no use for your kind here.

i didnt say its a piece of shit, you shit. stop talking about kinds like youre part of the ku klux klan, fanboy. i guess no criticism is accepted amongst "your" kind. youd rather have the sarcastic apple loverboys complaining about the haters and not have anyone take on those silly complaints. and whats the last resort? just plain saying "we dont like your kind". spoken like a true misogynist, ill go get a life if you give up yours.
  • Reply 76 of 125
    Quote:

i didnt say its a piece of shit, you shit. stop talking about kinds like youre part of the ku klux klan, fanboy. i guess no criticism is accepted amongst "your" kind. youd rather have the sarcastic apple loverboys complaining about the haters and not have anyone take on those silly complaints. and whats the last resort? just plain saying "we dont like your kind". spoken like a true misogynist, ill go get a life if you give up yours.

wow, that was heated. I think we need to take a step back here.

criticism is fine, just not trolling, which seemed to be the case here.

there are subtler ways to critique than to be a d*ck about it.

'nough said.
  • Reply 77 of 125
    Quote:

Wow! Just, uhhh wow !!!!!
  • Reply 78 of 125
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Umm, getting back on topic...couldn't the whole battery life issue be simply solved by making it user swappable?

Apple makes money on selling an add-on and the user wins by always having an extra battery on hand.
  • Reply 79 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

Umm, getting back on topic...couldn't the whole battery life issue be simply solved by making it user swappable?

Apple makes money on selling an add-on and the user wins by always having an extra battery on hand.

form factor issues, and Jobs is decently stubborn. also, (at least for me) annoying to carry around an accessory (other than the headphones) for an all-in-one device.

from one fight, on to another!
  • Reply 80 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

This was a topic of discussion about a year or so when we had some Nokia engineers come in. As I understood it, when in the home network, the HLR (home location register) will poll the phone and see if it can call, do data, yada, yada, yada. 3G is part of this poll. A 3G connection is maintained to the phone but as long as no data is being passed, you are not billed. Once you use a service, i.e data, Fring, VoIP, etc.... the counter starts to tick. My understanding is that voice goes over GSM will all other services are carried via 3G data services. This applies to European (Finnish) networks and could be different in the States, as the billing practices there are different. The radio is always on but in an idle state waiting for something to do. I tried to contact my friend at Nokia to ask him this but as it is Mother's Day here in FInland, he was not avail. If you are still interested, I can contact him tomorrow for an answer.