Montevina Delayed -- No MBP at WWDC?

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 73
    Hi there,

I´ve finally decided to get a MAC.. after all these years of being a PC lover.. I want to get the MBP but obvoisly given all this talk of a new one coming out, im concerned it will de-value if i buy one now.. I kinda need a laptop badly for June.. If i buy a topend MBP (200GB, 7200rpm, 4GB RAM, 2.5gz).. How much do you think it will de-value by, as i was thinking of selling it as soon as the new one comes out in august or whatever...

all thoughts welcome...
  • Reply 62 of 73
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by casper_org View Post

Hi there,

I´ve finally decided to get a MAC.. after all these years of being a PC lover.. I want to get the MBP but obvoisly given all this talk of a new one coming out, im concerned it will de-value if i buy one now.. I kinda need a laptop badly for June.. If i buy a topend MBP (200GB, 7200rpm, 4GB RAM, 2.5gz).. How much do you think it will de-value by, as i was thinking of selling it as soon as the new one comes out in august or whatever...

all thoughts welcome...

wait til after WWDC, then buy - either a new release MBP or the current one if you absolutely can't wait longer than the end of june. even consider a refurb, which are fabulous value, imo. MBPs hold their value pretty well, comparatively, so i wouldn't fret about that too much.
  • Reply 63 of 73
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post

wait til after WWDC, then buy - either a new release MBP or the current one if you absolutely can't wait longer than the end of june. even consider a refurb, which are fabulous value, imo. MBPs hold their value pretty well, comparatively, so i wouldn't fret about that too much.

A strong ditto to that advice. If you only anticipate owning the computer for two or three months then there's no reason that I can think of not to buy a refurbished unit from Apple.
  • Reply 64 of 73
    meeflemeefle Posts: 17member
    I too have been waiting for a new MBP. It'll be me first mac and i cant wait. A just saw an article though about Nvidia launching its mobile 9M series. Do you think it's possible for Apple to update its MBP with a 9600M GT or something? Heres the article i found:

http://www.dailytech.com/NVIDIA+Laun...ticle11966.htm
  • Reply 65 of 73
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Posts: 1,772member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Meefle View Post

I too have been waiting for a new MBP. It'll be me first mac and i cant wait. A just saw an article though about Nvidia launching its mobile 9M series. Do you think it's possible for Apple to update its MBP with a 9600M GT or something? Heres the article i found:

http://www.dailytech.com/NVIDIA+Laun...ticle11966.htm

I doubt it. The 9600 is the G94 GPU, and that's an awful lot of heat to put in a thin aluminum case. I just don't think that's realistic., unless it is underclocked quite a bit.

And the 9500M GT that the link mentions is nothing more than a rebadged 8600M GT. They're the exact same GPU.
  • Reply 66 of 73
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

For example, Apple laptops referred to as "Napa" are actually "Calistoga"

Apple laptops referred to as "Santa Rosa" are actually "Crestline"

and Apple laptops referred to as "Montevina" will actually be "Cantiga".

The thing is, because none of the Apple press use those names, it's pointless as an individual trying to use them; no-one will know what the hell you're on about.

I think they do so because most folks have heard of Santa Rosa or Centrino but not Crestline or Cantiga. Within the context of Apple, I think it is understood that Apple picks and chooses which Intel parts to use from the current families in production. Saying Santa Rosa or Centrino 2 is a short cut to easily identify a generation vis a vis their windows counterpart.
  • Reply 67 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

If that's true, the northbridge and southbridge chips will be launching with them, and that's all Apple cares about.

Not for the MacBook and Mini. Well MacBook is important in their product line anyway...the X3100 is "dissapointing". The X4500 hopefully less so. HDCP support across the entire line might be kinda nice for Apple strategically.

Someone still has to explain to me why Apple doesn't seem to use hardware decode if it's available except on the aTV. Or does Leopard?
  • Reply 68 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Not for the MacBook and Mini. Well MacBook is important in their product line anyway...the X3100 is "dissapointing". The X4500 hopefully less so. HDCP support across the entire line might be kinda nice for Apple strategically.

Someone still has to explain to me why Apple doesn't seem to use hardware decode if it's available except on the aTV. Or does Leopard?

There are low cost video chips with HDCP / HDMI and apple does not need to use intel on board video. Aslo the mini needs to start useing desktop CPU's, RAM, and chipsets.
  • Reply 69 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon View Post

There are low cost video chips with HDCP / HDMI and apple does not need to use intel on board video. Aslo the mini needs to start useing desktop CPU's, RAM, and chipsets.

Yes, but they are currently using the GMAs and if its on board then it's "free". It would be nice if they used a better integrated or discrete GPU but it doesn't seem to be in the cards.

And no, the mini doesn't need to start using desktop CPU's, RAM and chipsets. Some folks think that might be nice but it's hardly a requirement and arguably not desireable for all folks.
  • Reply 70 of 73
    Quote:

Yes, but they are currently using the GMAs and if its on board then it's "free". It would be nice if they used a better integrated or discrete GPU but it doesn't seem to be in the cards.

And no, the mini doesn't need to start using desktop CPU's, RAM and chipsets. Some folks think that might be nice but it's hardly a requirement and arguably not desireable for all folks.

they need to drop the price and put a dvd/rw and 2gb of ram in the base system.
  • Reply 71 of 73
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon View Post

they need to drop the price and put a dvd/rw and 2gb of ram in the base system.

You're getting warmer, JTD.
  • Reply 72 of 73
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

I think they do so because most folks have heard of Santa Rosa or Centrino but not Crestline or Cantiga.

My point is that no-one's heard those names because the press doesn't use them. Chicken and egg.
  • Reply 73 of 73
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Yep, lowest common denominators turning into tech journalists. A problem with not having knowledgeable folks actually doing the writing is the common press has no idea of how to communicate precise information in an understandable manner. So it's straight to greatest hits buzzword bingo and sweeping statements.