Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Apple apologist.

Apple Fantasist.
  • Reply 42 of 67
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

Apple apologist.

Oh yeah, well your momma wears combat boots.
  • Reply 43 of 67
    tomohrtomohr Posts: 60member
    I agre with the alienation of current/past customers. I bought my 16 gig iphone the week after they came out, and now I can get one for 200 dollars cheaper, with no possible chance of making money back on the one that I have. Who would spend any money on the now obsolete iphone when you can get a brand new one for soooo cheap :/ I think that May 27 should be pushed back just a bit
  • Reply 44 of 67
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

True. I would though. Plastic does suck balls though, don't get me wrong.

I would never!
  • Reply 45 of 67
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

Apple Fantasist.

There's a difference between vision & imagination and fantasy. Most of my ideas although lofty, serve for practical and terribly possible products. I called him an apologist because no matter how much shit Apple throw in our faces someone is always ready to step out for the defense. The Might Mouse, the price of mobile MobileMe, there a number of things I think it's perfectly acceptable to no only not take but to call Apple out on. Otherwise we cannot have an debate bases on honest feelings.
  • Reply 46 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

Oh yeah, well your momma wears combat boots.

My mother's alive and well and wears cowboy boots. Linedancing!
  • Reply 47 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tomohr View Post

I agre with the alienation of current/past customers. I bought my 16 gig iphone the week after they came out, and now I can get one for 200 dollars cheaper, with no possible chance of making money back on the one that I have. Who would spend any money on the now obsolete iphone when you can get a brand new one for soooo cheap :/ I think that May 27 should be pushed back just a bit

I just don't understand people who think this way.

When I buy something, and soon after, if it goes down in price, or a newer, better one comes out, that is also lower in price, I'm not happy. But, I don't get angry at the manufacturer. Why should I?

What makes you feel as though you should be able to "make money back on the one you have"? You have no right to expect that. If you are very lucky you can make SOME money back on a product you bought when a new model comes out, even if the new model is just a bit better, at the same price.

Are they supposed to telegraph the fact that their next unit will be better and cheaper?

Isn't that obvious?

We are supposed to be part of the computer generation. You know, the one that understands that newer models will ALWAYS be cheaper and better.

After all, if the price you paid, when you paid it, for the features you bought, was good at that time, then nothing that comes out now, changes that.

This constant, jeesh, there is really no other word for it than whining, has got to stop.

The only way to avoid this "problem" is to never buy anything.

People knew quite well that Apple would be coming out with new phones with significantly better features, and that it might be at significantly lower prices.

If the couple of hundred bucks was all that important, you guys should have waited!

Potential new customers are going to be VERY pleased that the features are here, and that the price is so much lower. They really can't get much lower without the cell companies carrying the entire cost themselves—and at some point, that might happen.

If it does, are you guys going to cry again?

This is not being an Apple fanboy. I feel this way about any product from any manufacturer. It's NOT their responsibility to you, to keep the "value" of your used product up. The responsibility is to attempt to make their newer products as attractive to as many potential customers as possible.

Believe it or not, most people don't think this is a problem.

Get over it!
  • Reply 48 of 67
    tomohrtomohr Posts: 60member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I just don't understand people who think this way.

When I buy something, and soon after, if it goes down in price, or a newer, better one comes out, that is also lower in price, I'm not happy. But, I don't get angry at the manufacturer. Why should I?

What makes you feel as though you should be able to "make money back on the one you have"? You have no right to expect that. If you are very lucky you can make SOME money back on a product you bought when a new model comes out, even if the new model is just a bit better, at the same price.

Are they supposed to telegraph the fact that their next unit will be better and cheaper?

Isn't that obvious?

We are supposed to be part of the computer generation. You know, the one that understands that newer models will ALWAYS be cheaper and better.

After all, if the price you paid, when you paid it, for the features you bought, was good at that time, then nothing that comes out now, changes that.

This constant, jeesh, there is really no other word for it than whining, has got to stop.

The only way to avoid this "problem" is to never buy anything.

People knew quite well that Apple would be coming out with new phones with significantly better features, and that it might be at significantly lower prices.

Get over it!

I am not complaining at all. And I will say that when it comes to being a fan of apple I am definitely one of the biggest I know. And along with that, I have known that apple has never drastically dropped their prices on a product as they have with the iphone. If anything, I was expecting them to keep the edge phones, drop the prices down with that model to the prices that they ended up putting on the 3g models. I was not expecting this at all. I think it is a fantastic marketing plan and will get a lot more iphones off the shelves and in to pockets, which is obviously what they are going for. I suppose I should no longer take my short pity parties online and keep them to myself. I am sure that there were people in the same situation as me that bought an iphone very recently and now, as most educated technology enthusiasts do, sell the old to help pay for the new... we have a piece of hardware that is in comparison worth less than an ipod shuffle to its new counterpart. And call me whiney, but it sucks! but will I still be there soon after july 11th to buy a new one? heck yeah
  • Reply 49 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tomohr View Post

I am not complaining at all. And I will say that when it comes to being a fan of apple I am definitely one of the biggest I know. And along with that, I have known that apple has never drastically dropped their prices on a product as they have with the iphone. If anything, I was expecting them to keep the edge phones, drop the prices down with that model to the prices that they ended up putting on the 3g models. I was not expecting this at all. I think it is a fantastic marketing plan and will get a lot more iphones off the shelves and in to pockets, which is obviously what they are going for. I suppose I should no longer take my short pity parties online and keep them to myself. I am sure that there were people in the same situation as me that bought an iphone very recently and now, as most educated technology enthusiasts do, sell the old to help pay for the new... we have a piece of hardware that is in comparison worth less than an ipod shuffle to its new counterpart. And call me whiney, but it sucks! but will I still be there soon after july 11th to buy a new one? heck yeah

As an old Apple hand such as yourself should know, never buy an Apple product anywhere around an Apple event that will feature that very same item, particularly when Jobs himself makes statements about new features (the 3G).

I'm sorry if I misinterpreted your remarks, but in reading them again, I come away with the same impression.

This is cheap stuff even at the $399 level. It's just not that much to get concerned about.
  • Reply 50 of 67
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

There's a difference between vision & imagination and fantasy. Most of my ideas although lofty, serve for practical and terribly possible products. I called him an apologist because no matter how much shit Apple throw in our faces someone is always ready to step out for the defense. The Might Mouse, the price of mobile MobileMe, there a number of things I think it's perfectly acceptable to no only not take but to call Apple out on. Otherwise we cannot have an debate bases on honest feelings.

I like your new sig... "Jobs go 3.0".
  • Reply 51 of 67
    regreg Posts: 832member
    Contact search is nice but what is needed is total system search - email content, apps, contacts, notes and documents. If it is not included, I will buy the first app that can do it.
  • Reply 52 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I like your new sig... "Jobs go 3.0".

Thanks. Do you know what it means?
  • Reply 53 of 67
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Thanks. Do you know what it means?

Were you referring to iPhone 3.0?... or web 3.0? Maybe I'm not so sure now... \
  • Reply 54 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Were you referring to iPhone 3.0?... or web 3.0? Maybe I'm not so sure now... \

Web 3.0

And I don't mean Steve Jobs either. I've been cooking up a little something for some time now. Come mid-July Jobs go 3.0
  • Reply 55 of 67
    Quote:

Web 3.0

And I don't mean Steve Jobs either. I've been cooking up a little something for some time now. Come md-July Jobs go 3.0

Hey, we haven't quite gotten to web 2.0 yet.
  • Reply 56 of 67
    Quote:

Hey, we haven't quite gotten to web 2.0 yet.

That's why this is a big deal
  • Reply 57 of 67
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    what features that people want are hardware or could be done with software?

e.g. could video be done using software program?

could there be software solution for video chat, have a camera connect to the dock?

i feel my "voice dialing" is software based, so what things can we look forward to improving the iphone with the app store.

has anyone thought of backing up those apps, or do you lose them if something happens to the iphone memory, or do i worry too much. i mean itunes lets you backup your purchases how will iphone do it?
  • Reply 58 of 67
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brandon639 View Post

And I just paid $300 for an iPod touch in April why?

Quote:

But, I'm wondering why they haven't dropped the prices for the iTouch. They still cost $299, $399, $499.

I'm wondering why people are wondering this.

iPhone = subsidised by monthly fee, iPod touch = not subsidised.

Total price for iPhone = $199 + 24*monthly fee = $$$$$$$$$

Total price for iPod touch = $299 + $0 = $299
  • Reply 59 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER

what features that people want are hardware or could be done with software?

e.g. could video be done using software program?

Absolutely.

Quote:

I feel my "voice dialing" is software based, so what things can we look forward to improving the iphone with the app store.

Not so sure about Apple allowing voice dealing by someone else but who knows.

Quote:

has anyone thought of backing up those apps, or do you lose them if something happens to the iphone memory, or do i worry too much. i mean itunes lets you backup your purchases how will iphone do it?

Your iPhone is backed up when you dock with your computer. (one of the reasons wired syncing is better)
  • Reply 60 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Northgate View Post

Cut and Paste?

Hello.

One year later, version 2.0 of the software, a 2nd generation iPhone AND STILL NO CUT AND PASTE?

WTF Apple?

Did the basic architecture of the Touch UI make it impossible to add this feature?

Very true we definately need cut & paste, but also what the hell, I wait all this time for apple to release the new 3G iPhone and the 2.0 firmware to go with it for nothing. I distinctly remember apple saying that, oh not to worry iPhone owners we hear what you want your iPhone to do, and all this can EASILY be accomplished by software updates. I some how have a hard time believing that WANTING THE iPHONE TO SEND/RECEIVE MMS, AND RECORD VIDEO was not at the top of the request list. I mean hell practically every phone but the iPhone does that, and they didn't even throw that into the 2.0 firmware. COME ON APPLE!!! Now yes I know the work around with the MMS regarding picture messages, but still nothing is done with the video. I pray to god that someone develops an app that I can at least get through the app store, so that my iPhone can do these simple tasks. Fully disappointed with WWDC 2008!!!