Apple says Steve Jobs feeling a little under the weather recently

Comments

• Reply 161 of 224
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,029member
    I suppose this is the picture of health the media is looking for...

• Reply 162 of 224
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thrang View Post

I suppose this is the picture of health the media is looking for...

<sweaty_ballmar_image>

Touche!
  • Reply 163 of 224
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,026member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple has responded to concerns spreading across internet blogs regarding the health of Steve Jobs after photos taken Monday at the WWDC conference in San Francisco show him looking a little more frail than usual.

Specifically, the Wall Street Journal points to a headline on the Drudge Report that read "Concern over Apple Steve Jobs?s physical appearance?,? which linked to photos of the chief executive without further comment.

Responding to questions on the matter Tuesday, a spokesperson for the Cupertino-based electronics maker told the financial paper that Jobs has been plagued by a "common bug" in recent weeks, but that he felt it essential that he make good on delivering the opening keynote address at the annual Apple developer conference and personally take the wraps off the company's new 3G iPhone.

Jobs's physical health has been an on-again, off-again topic of discussion ever since he was diagnosed with a rare form of pancreatic cancer four years ago, which he beat after undergoing a successful surgery.

Investors and Apple loyalists pay particular attention to the chief executive's appearance because they consider him to be irreplaceable to the company he rescued from the doldrums a little over ten years ago. Not helping matters are reports that Jobs hid his battle with cancer for a full nine months before informing shareholders and anyone outside his most intimate of inner circles.

Photo taken of Steve Jobs Monday | Copyright REUTERS/Kimberly White..

Last year, financial publication Barron's suggested that Jobs may be worth more to Apple than any other chief executive in the world, estimating that Apple's market cap would instantly bleed $20 billion in value should he abruptly be forced to abandon his leadership role at the company.

The last time Apple provided an update on Jobs's health was nearly two years ago when similar concerns began to mount following his appearance at the 2006 Apple developers conference. At the time, the company's VP of worldwide corporate communications Katie Cotton downplayed the concerns, saying Jobs's health was "robust."

This response from Apple is loaded beyond belief. It's a non-denial denial. They didn't say he was healthy. They didn't say he was cancer free. They said he had a "common bug," which might well be true, but it wouldn't seem that it's the whole truth.

I'm very concerned.
  • Reply 164 of 224
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Maybe he should start eating meat again.
  • Reply 165 of 224
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    I'm going to guess three things.

1) The original story that Steve have a begin tumor was false and he has panc' cancer and is not getting better.

2) He was so spooked by the begin tumor he did have that he now has an eating disorder while he follows a "special diet" of some kind.

3) The panc' surgery effed up his blood surgar insulin level so much he's having trouble getting a good balance.
  • Reply 166 of 224
    Well I took this photo of him at the presentation. Looking a bit thin I'd say.

• Reply 167 of 224
    but Phil Schiller - stop taking Steve's lunch and picking from his plate.

Phil gets fatter at every Keynote and Steve has been getting thinner over the last year. Best wishes Steve and good health. Phil - time for biggest loser.
  • Reply 168 of 224
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Guess what's the top story on MarketWatch? Steve's health. This could explain the sizeable drop in AAPL today.
  • Reply 169 of 224
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Hardly a good comparison. Does KFC's recipe change every year?

Colonel Sanders was KFC. Steve Jobs is Apple. You do the math. Sorry to have to spell it out for you.
  • Reply 170 of 224
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Colonel Sanders was KFC. Steve Jobs is Apple. You do the math. Sorry to have to spell it out for you.

I'm aware of that, but the tech industry changes far more quickly than the fast food industry changes. You do the math. Sorry to have to spell it out for you.

What KFC does and how it presents itself hasn't had to change much, if at all in a decade. I can probably buy the same bucket of grease today that I had two decades ago. Apple has basically recast itself two or three times in the last decade.
  • Reply 171 of 224
    echosonicechosonic Posts: 462member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

One of the flus that went around this year had a much higher pneumonia rate as your typical flu virus. (Among children with that strain it was like 30%+ developing pneumonia.) My son got it and the pedeatrician considered putting him on "preventive antibiotics" but decided to wait a couple days. He didn't end up needing it, but he's generally a very healthy boy.

I can imagine a cancer survivor going on antibiotics to prevent pneumonia in the case of any sort of serious chest cold, so this doesn't really surprise me.

YES. I had that flu, it turned into acute bronchitis, and put me down for six straight weeks. I was out from Late Feb through march. Its still going around, and took Lenny Kravitz out of commission earlier this year as well.

I personally lost 12 pounds while down with it. On my 200lb frame, not so bad. On Jobs' skinny ass, MUCH worse-looking.

Steve would sooner die in his chair than let go of Apple. You know this is true.
  • Reply 172 of 224
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

The comparison doesn't really hold because the recipe stays the same year over year. The only thing they need to do is alter their marketing. Tech companies have to keep innovating. Id est, the "ingredients" in the Machintosh 128k are not in any current Macs.

I see three positions if you want to make an argument that Apple will thrive after Jobs is gone.
    1. Jobs has hired like minded people to push his legacy.

2. The inertia that Jobs has set in motion with the Mac revival and the new iPhone will continue to benefit Apple for years to come.

3. You can use a better example that shows that evolving tech and brand can be further enhanced after the original founders are long gone. Relevant examples could be: C.S. Rolls and Henry Royce's legacy; Benz, Daimler and Maybach legacy; and Sōichirō Honda.

• Reply 173 of 224
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

What KFC does and how it presents itself hasn't had to change much, if at all in a decade. I can probably buy the same bucket of grease today that I had two decades ago.

I agree with your main point, but maybe it's because we're 2000 miles from Kentucky, but KFC's quality was marginal two decades ago, and atrocious now--and getting worse by the year. Hopefully Apple wouldn't go the same way.
  • Reply 174 of 224
    But both Apple and KFC are finger lickin' good!...

Steve's current state is causing quite a stir among the concerned Apple fans. Oh, dear. More evidence of the hullaballoo:

http://blog.wired.com/business/2008/...says-stev.html

One poster notes:

Quote:

"As a physician who's seen lots of sick people, I question whether he just has "a bug." He has what's called temporal wasting, where the muscle tissue at the temples get reabsorbed. This usually happens with significant malnutrition, cancer, or other serious illnesses. (You can see it in advanced age as well). Who knows, but he doesn't just look like someone who had a stomach bug for a week or so."

Posted by: Mark N | Jun 12, 2008 9:56:13 AM

More rampant unfounded speculation:

http://valleywag.com/5015211/the-inc...king-apple-ceo
  • Reply 175 of 224
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

But I've never ordered anything at the Apple Store that resulted in a Mach kernel being stuck in my teeth.
  • Reply 176 of 224
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

But I've never ordered anything at the Apple Store that resulted in a Mach kernel being stuck in my teeth.

But I have applied a rich, buttery Software Update before. Outstanding!
  • Reply 177 of 224
    divigdivig Posts: 1member
    Well, I am sure that the day Steve gives up the reigns, Apple will roll out Steve 2.0 which will be sort of like L.C. Data but powered by an iPhone. Of course it'll have Steve's signature turtleneck, jeans, and phraseology, "We are so excited...", "This blows away the other platforms...".

and the stock rolls on...
  • Reply 178 of 224
    Quote:

the recipe stays the same year over year. [/LIST]

please delete
  • Reply 179 of 224
    Quote:

The comparison doesn't really hold because the recipe stays the same year over year. The only thing they need to do is alter their marketing. Tech companies have to keep innovating. Id est, the "ingredients" in the Machintosh 128k are not in any current Macs.

I see three positions if you want to make an argument that Apple will thrive after Jobs is gone.
    1. Jobs has hired like minded people to push his legacy.

2. The inertia that Jobs has set in motion with the Mac revival and the new iPhone will continue to benefit Apple for years to come.

3. You can use a better example that shows that evolving tech and brand can be further enhanced after the original founders are long gone. Relevant examples could be: C.S. Rolls and Henry Royce's legacy; Benz, Daimler and Maybach legacy; and Sōichirō Honda.

A virtual Steve Jobs will exist after he departs as the virtual Colonel Sanders does now. It has nothing to to do with recipes staying the same- for god's sake! It all about product branding- HELLO? Most people especially 97.5% those on this website cannot think Apple without visualizing Steve Jobs. Don't worry- his likeness will still digitally give you those keynotes of his that you crave (which by the way are really presented with the same hype year after year and really are a recipe, I hate to inform you).
  • Reply 180 of 224
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

[/url]

And one can utilize a mouse whereas the other attracts mice!