AT&T announces iPhone 3G plans, 8 a.m. launch time on July 11

Comments

• Reply 201 of 263
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Yes, they do. They are partners. They also clearly advertise the phone as costing X/Y with a 2 year contract. They do say "new" 2 year contract, but that doesn't cover it. A current AT&T customer is required to sign up for an additional two years to get the non-iPhone upgrade price of $399/$499. It's deceptive and I predict they will need to change their advertising.

Exactly how is it deceptive? You already admit that they say that it requires a new 2 year contract, why is it not enough? Exactly how does that not describe the "existing customer" situation that you are complaining about?

Quote:

It would be fine to say "iPhone starts at $199* and then indicate that price is only for new AT&T customers and current customers eligible for an upgrade.

They already do this on Apple's web site.

Starting at $199.*

Requires new 2-year AT&T rate plan, sold separately.

Quote:

Again, a person who is not eligible is told they must sign up for a new contract to get the $399/$499 price. It's not clear.

Where is it not clear? Do we have to argue what the word "new" means? Maybe it depends on what the meaning of "is" is. Anyone that doesn't grasp that shouldn't be signing any contract, in my opinion.
  • Reply 202 of 263
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

Yes, they do. They are partners. They also clearly advertise the phone as costing X/Y with a 2 year contract. They do say "new" 2 year contract, but that doesn't cover it. A current AT&T customer is required to sign up for an additional two years to get the non-iPhone upgrade price of $399/$499. It's deceptive and I predict they will need to change their advertising. It would be fine to say "iPhone starts at $199* and then indicate that price is only for new AT&T customers and current customers eligible for an upgrade.

It is standard advertisement practice. Just like the TV ads that says you can least an X car for Y dollars per month. However, they have disclaimer in the footprint the same one AT&T have on their website when they say $199 and $299 iPhones "Qualifying customers only, Two-year contract required". However, I don't see how it is deceptive since they are clarifying everything more than one week before product release. I think anyone who is going to buy the 3G iPhone knows exactly how much they will pay for the iPhone now before product release.

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-pho...als/iPhone.jsp
  • Reply 203 of 263
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BigGeorge19 View Post

Stopped by AT&T store yesterday and got clarification on their definition of a "qualifying" plan for current customers who wish to get the iPhone.

- For current customers who are "upgrade eligible" then their rate plan is also deemed a "qualifying" plan and DOES NOT change when purchasing the iPhone 3G.

This is a huge benefit, since the recently-released iPhone plans for new customers are so much higher.

That IS huge. The new family plans would have represented a poor WAF (wife acceptance factor) given the additional monthly costs...
  • Reply 204 of 263
    Quote:

I'm blaming AT&T for the high price and shitty features. I also think Apple is engaging in deceptive advertising. The iPhone does not cost $199/$299 for some customers, even WITH a new 2 year contract.

Yes it does. If you have a non-qualifying plan at the moment then you are free to buy a NEW plan with a NEW 2 year contract like anyone else.

What you do with your old AT&T contract is no different than what you do if it was owned by Verizon. Continue it, terminate it, whatever. You still got a new 3G iPhone for $199/$299.

Quote:

That is false and deceptive advertising on Apple's part. Period.

No, it's only because you can't understand even basic concepts. Period.
  • Reply 205 of 263
    Quote:

I love it. First, don't expect to carry any weight around here with your whooping 42 post noob status.

I've read a good number of your 9000 posts and as near as I can tell you carry nearly zero weight around here. He wins automagically as at least he hasn't proven himself to be...of less than stellar intelligence.
  • Reply 206 of 263
    Quote:

Other than data and the total lack of SMS, it's the same plan. I pay $54.99 a month now for 450 anytime minutes, unlimited VZW to VZW, unlimited SMS within VZW with 500 non-VZW SMS included, and unlimited nights and weekends. It's a premium. I'm going to pay $74.99 pre-tax for the same plan with only 200 SMS and unlimited data.

Yes, lets compare an old plan under an old pricing scheme to a new plan with new pricing.

VZW costs $79.99 today for 450 Anytime Minutes, Data Access for Email, Unlimited IN Calling, Unlimited Nights and Weekend Minutes for $79.99. Hey look...no included texting that I can see.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/s...d=49&catId=448

So for $199 I can get a Verizon SMT5800 or a Palm Treo 700vx/Samsung SCH-i760 for $299.

I can add 250 messages for $5.00 per month. Hey, that's 50 more than the iPhone!

500 messages for $10

1500 messages for $15

5000 messages for $20 (Note...you can bundle unlimited messaging for $99 so this is kinda silly)

You get unlimted nights and weekends and IN Calling vs 5000 mins with AT&T. But AT&T gives rollover minutes so it's probably a wash unless you're consistently spending more than 5000 mins a month nights and weekends.

You get only "Basic Voice Mail" - 20 messages, 3 minute max per message and 21 day retention on Verizon. On the iPhone you get Visual Voice Mail - 40 message of 4 minutes for 30 days.

You get 50 more SMS messages if you go the $5 plan.

All for $10 higher base pricing. $84.99 for 450 minute plan + 250 text messages vs $74.99 + 250 text messages.

Yes, you should seriously stay with Verizon. They are clearly the better company price wise.

Tethering is cheaper with Verizon though...looks like a $15 option vs $30 if I read that right.
  • Reply 207 of 263
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    didn't someone say that aol has a free aim program? can't you use that for sms, or isn't that going to work
  • Reply 208 of 263
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Yes, lets compare an old plan under an old pricing scheme to a new plan with new pricing.

VZW costs $79.99 today for 450 Anytime Minutes, Data Access for Email, Unlimited IN Calling, Unlimited Nights and Weekend Minutes for $79.99. Hey look...no included texting that I can see.

Unless I'm confused, Verizon unlimited 3G data begins at $99 plan with 450 minutes.
  • Reply 209 of 263
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Unless I'm confused, Verizon unlimited 3G data begins at $99 plan with 450 minutes.

The plan I saw didn't seem to say 3G or not. Was I looking at the right plan? The $99 plan I see has unlimited texting but the same data verbiage. Does the data minutes come out of the same pool of mins?
  • Reply 210 of 263
    Quote:

I love it. First, don't expect to carry any weight around here with your whooping 42 post noob status.

Secondly, please show me what "incorrect facts" I posted. Really, I can't wait. If you can't address what I posted, then please go away. We don't have time for people like you.

wow... n00b? are you 11? are we really judged in this community based on how many posts we have? should we pull out our hogs next and see who's is biggest?

I didn't know I had to post 9000 times to be considered correct. Just because you were able to hit the elite 9000 post plateau by constantly repeating yourself with the same complaint over and over, I'll stick with 40 something posts that bring some sort of value.

And as for showing you the incorrect facts, go ahead and read the entire post that I posted a few back on the last page where I explained fundamental economics and the basics of the nationwide cellphone industry, comparing current plans at AT&T and how they relate to the pricing structure of other cell providers... and going over what subsidizing really means.... instead of ignoring the facts and resorting to name calling to win an argument.

when you are ready, we can carry on the conversation like adults, or we can all just assume that you've realized you are wrong, and we can all move on.
  • Reply 211 of 263
    contegnicontegni Posts: 34member
    I find it kinda funny that NOW there is an asterisk next to the $199 on their site.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/
  • Reply 212 of 263
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

didn't someone say that aol has a free aim program? can't you use that for sms, or isn't that going to work

It looked like it was priced as free on the video apple posted, but you can't go by that till the actual app store is released, but yes, it will be sent over data, and not SMS so you will be able to send unlimited IM messages since they use data. Even if the AOL program ends up costing money, I'm sure it won't be more than 10 bucks, which is only 2 months of the cheap sms plan...

you can try it now with ichat. start a new chat and type your cell number with +1 at the beginning. it will send the message to your phone, and when you reply, it will come back to the chat window. So you can chat with someone using that tool, and use data while the other person may prefer sms.
  • Reply 213 of 263
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

The plan I saw didn't seem to say 3G or not. Was I looking at the right plan? The $99 plan I see has unlimited texting but the same data verbiage. Does the data minutes come out of the same pool of mins?

Yeah, neither plan explicitly says unlimited 3G data.
  • Reply 214 of 263
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Contegni View Post

I find it kinda funny that NOW there is an asterisk next to the $199 on their site.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/

Yeah, clearly all the thousands of people who mistakenly bought the iPhone under the deceptive former website will have a lot to complain about.
  • Reply 215 of 263
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:

Yes, they do. They are partners. They also clearly advertise the phone as costing X/Y with a 2 year contract.

I don't get how someone can complain about the advertised pricing of a product that has not sold a single unit yet. WHO exactly has been deceived?
  • Reply 216 of 263
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

I don't get how someone can complain about the advertised pricing of a product that has not sold a single unit yet. WHO exactly has been deceived?

They're going to sue for being deceived into thinking about buying one
  • Reply 217 of 263
    bigmikebigmike Posts: 266member
    I just found this and it looks nice...

http://www.google.com/mobile/apple/talk/
  • Reply 218 of 263
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Exactly how is it deceptive? You already admit that they say that it requires a new 2 year contract, why is it not enough? Exactly how does that not describe the "existing customer" situation that you are complaining about?

They already do this on Apple's web site.

Starting at $199.*

Requires new 2-year AT&T rate plan, sold separately.

Where is it not clear? Do we have to argue what the word "new" means? Maybe it depends on what the meaning of "is" is. Anyone that doesn't grasp that shouldn't be signing any contract, in my opinion.

Yes, I think we do. A current customer can sin up for a "new" contract and still pay more. It would be better to say "offer valid for new AT&T customers and those that qualify for an upgrade only."

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

It is standard advertisement practice. Just like the TV ads that says you can least an X car for Y dollars per month. However, they have disclaimer in the footprint the same one AT&T have on their website when they say $199 and $299 iPhones "Qualifying customers only, Two-year contract required". However, I don't see how it is deceptive since they are clarifying everything more than one week before product release. I think anyone who is going to buy the 3G iPhone knows exactly how much they will pay for the iPhone now before product release.

I bet you're wrong. It all has to do with their current customers. There is going to be confusion. I'm telling you.

Great...now we have people quoting AT&T. Apologist #2.

Quote:

Yes it does. If you have a non-qualifying plan at the moment then you are free to buy a NEW plan with a NEW 2 year contract like anyone else.

What you do with your old AT&T contract is no different than what you do if it was owned by Verizon. Continue it, terminate it, whatever. You still got a new 3G iPhone for $199/$299.

No, that's not accurate. Customers who don't qualify cannot do that, unless they CANCEL their service and then start over. Theoretically, of course.

Quote:

No, it's only because you can't understand even basic concepts. Period.

You know, that's not necessary.

Quote:

I've read a good number of your 9000 posts and as near as I can tell you carry nearly zero weight around here. He wins automagically as at least he hasn't proven himself to be...of less than stellar intelligence.

Either is that. You don't need to be an asshole about it. If you disagree, fine.

Quote:

So for $199 I can get a Verizon SMT5800 or a Palm Treo 700vx/Samsung SCH-i760 for $299.

I can add 250 messages for $5.00 per month. Hey, that's 50 more than the iPhone!

500 messages for $10

1500 messages for $15

5000 messages for $20 (Note...you can bundle unlimited messaging for $99 so this is kinda silly)

You get unlimted nights and weekends and IN Calling vs 5000 mins with AT&T. But AT&T gives rollover minutes so it's probably a wash unless you're consistently spending more than 5000 mins a month nights and weekends.

You get only "Basic Voice Mail" - 20 messages, 3 minute max per message and 21 day retention on Verizon. On the iPhone you get Visual Voice Mail - 40 message of 4 minutes for 30 days.

You get 50 more SMS messages if you go the $5 plan.

All for $10 higher base pricing. $84.99 for 450 minute plan + 250 text messages vs $74.99 + 250 text messages.

Yes, you should seriously stay with Verizon. They are clearly the better company price wise.

Tethering is cheaper with Verizon though...looks like a $15 option vs $30 if I read that right.

Staying with Verizon is not an option for those that want an iPhone. That's the point. And I'm comparing my current plan to AT&T's not a hypothetical Verizon plan. I have similar capability for $25 a month less. Last year I had 3G access for $5 a month via bluetooth e815 and MBP.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chadisawesome View Post

wow... n00b? are you 11? are we really judged in this community based on how many posts we have? should we pull out our hogs next and see who's is biggest?

I didn't know I had to post 9000 times to be considered correct. Just because you were able to hit the elite 9000 post plateau by constantly repeating yourself with the same complaint over and over, I'll stick with 40 something posts that bring some sort of value.

Right...you're demonstrating real quality in posting, asshole.

Quote:

And as for showing you the incorrect facts, go ahead and read the entire post that I posted a few back on the last page where I explained fundamental economics

Do tell!

Quote:

and the basics of the nationwide cellphone industry, comparing current plans at AT&T and how they relate to the pricing structure of other cell providers... and going over what subsidizing really means.... instead of ignoring the facts and resorting to name calling to win an argument

Fair enough...I didn't see it before, but I'll check it out.

Quote:

when you are ready, we can carry on the conversation like adults, or we can all just assume that you've realized you are wrong, and we can all move on.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

That really doesn't matter. If it's deceptive, it's deceptive. Period.
  • Reply 219 of 263
    So, I talked to people in two different stores and then finally called ATT because I got conflicting information…

If you have an iPhone and DID NOT get a bundled package (this means you were an existing customer and you added the iPhone data plan at $20 a month) then you do NOT have to get a bundled package if you get the new iPhone.

You can keep your existing voice plan (in my case, 1000 minutes, free nights/weekends, etc, for $49.99 a month) and add the iPhone data plan for the additional $30.

I already pay $20 a month to have unlimited txt (when I was with T-Mob I was grandfathered in to unlimited txt for $5 a month, so I’m still getting over the sticker shock), so my initial fears of paying a lot more per month and getting less minutes should be settled now…

I did ask customer service to put a note on my account so IF I did decide to upgrade, the store will see that I should be allowed to keep my current voice plan. I can foresee them trying to screw me in the store. After she put the note on the account she also said to have the store call customer service if they have any issues with letting me keep my current voice plan since I’ve gotten conflicting information from both stores.

She also mentioned that no one at ATT has been trained on the process, but that training will be happening today.
  • Reply 220 of 263
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

Great...now we have people quoting AT&T. Apologist #2.

What?! It seems that you really have problem understanding what everyone is saying so I am not surprise that you don't understand how the current upgrade work. I did not quote, I referenced the website where is said "Qualifying Customers". If you don't understand the difference between a quote and reference then you probably have to repeat the 12th grade. I am not going to waste my time arguing with you about the obvious.